New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [PF] Synthesist, a question of Wisdom or Constitution

So I have had a character idea lying around for a Synthesist lying around for ages, build around the idea of a weak character making a faustian deal to get power. It also lead to point buy abuse, but that was not my first intend. For the longest time it sounded like the next campaign would have point buy do, mainly because of fact the party rolls uneven. 3 people tend to high rolls, I tend to roll average, and my other friend tends to roll beyond poorly. Yet yesterday the next DM said: "let's roll". So I rolled 9, 11, 14, 16, 13, 16. (The other 2 people that rolled, one rolled 14,14,15,15,16,16 and the other, the low roller, had something sad like 7,7,8,10,12,14 and rerolled something with a 14, a 16, and some numbers between 10 and 13...)

So my rolls are decent, but do put me in some conflict. I can't really rollplay the idea of having a weak character that depends on its eidolon, so I might need to do that with roleplay, or just give myself flaws (without getting any benefit back). Still I dunno with to do with my stats, I boasted to my friends that I could play them in the order I rolled, but would give me a constitution better then in Eidolon form, 14 total. And a mere 13 wisdom. Then again I was also consider to put my only 9 into constitution to at least have something semblance to my first character draft.

So I was wondering if any of you guys had some opinions to help me settle. Should I be cool and go without any rearrangement, should I gimp myself for roleplay or should I just go with the sensible stats for a Synthesist and find some other way to portray my backstory?
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: [PF] Synthesist, a question of Wisdom or Constitution

You don't have to have your stats be terrible to match a weak character concept, you act it out as if you were a weak character.

Having a higher Con outside of your synthesist form doesn't mean you have to be Tougher for RP, you just have more Hp and a better Fort save, you can still have the character take actions as they would if they had less hp (make yourself a few notes on how you want to portray a weak constitution).
    Ex. You have a total of 11 hit points at lvl1 (not including Favorite class or some such), act weak without your eidolon body, act tough with it, and when your hit points would be where your low Con would have left you (7hp if you put that 9 in there) have yourself panic.

I don't feel as if I explained my idea to well, I do need more sleep.

You don't have to let higher stats change your character concept, they are just numbers.
    Lower stats than you can work with are usually the issue.
    Why do I keep forgetting my password? I could have sworn I put atleast an 8 for Int when I was born.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but still it feels a bit odd to me. Like you want to roleplay a dumb character, but are stuck at 16 int. I always envisioned a character that would be weak, clumsy and sick, someone that catches every cold around, barely can lift anything and easily trips over her own feats. Someone that wouldn't go out much and is cared by the community, until she discovered powers from a diffierent source, and made that Faustian like pact to stand on her own legs, sort off. It;s just odd to role play that when the ability scores portray average to above average stats.

And even ignoring self destructive choices, its still hard to me what to put where, with point buy it was all so easy, now I have numbers across the board. I can even go with a weaker charisma (Because spell focusing isn't a major focus, and mostly buff only) to get a higher wisdom out of it, or perhaps even con... I am just a bit bewildered by the sudden options, but it will most likely make the character more lively and less stale. (ironic due the nature of pointbuy :smalltongue):
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Venerable. Enjoy your -6 to physical stats.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by alcarithemad View Post
    Venerable. Enjoy your -6 to physical stats.
    Ooooo so he makes the pact to try and prolong his failling lifeforce?
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!