New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Mud?!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Mud?!

Mud armor in Races of faerun....

if you have it on and someone casts transmute Mud to Stone on it, what happens?

is it now permanent? would you rule the AC would increase?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Mud?!

I don't know what the rules say, but off-handedly, as an obnoxious DM, I would say that if you're wearing mud armor and somebody casts Transmute Mud to Rock, there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news is: Your armor bonus just went way up!

The bad news is: You can't move.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Good news is, we have stats for Stone Plate, and they're over in Races of, wouldincha know it, Stone. Turns out some barmy Dwarf came up with the brilliant idea of making armor out of the stuff. Your Armor bonus increases by +5.
    Bad news is your max dex has just dropped to +1. Also, you probably aren't proficient, which is bad what with the -7 Armor Check Penalty.
    Slightly better news is that you now have permanent armor that doesn't need to be reapplied.

Dwarves, they can make armor out of anything, am I right?
    Last edited by Seclora; 2014-07-29 at 11:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Seclora View Post
    Good news is, we have stats for Stone Plate, and they're over in Races of, wouldincha know it, Stone. Turns out some barmy Dwarf came up with the brilliant idea of making armor out of the stuff. Your Armor bonus increases by +5.
    Bad news is your max dex has just dropped to +1. Also, you probably aren't proficient, which is bad what with the -7 Armor Check Penalty.
    Slightly better news is that you now have permanent armor that doesn't need to be reapplied.

Dwarves, they can make armor out of anything, am I right?
    Dwarves can make AC even from their constitution.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Dwarves can make AC even from their constitution.
    See, I want to think that the Dwarf King actually carries the chiseled-in-stone national constitution into battle strapped to his arm as a shield, but I get the feeling that's not what you meant.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    I don't know what the rules say, but off-handedly, as an obnoxious DM, I would say that if you're wearing mud armor and somebody casts Transmute Mud to Rock, there's some good news and some bad news.

HaHa I figured this is would by the answer for my hubris!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post

Other good news - you can get out of your armor with a reflex save. This is probably one of the fastest ways to take it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GutterFace View Post
    Mud armor in Races of faerun....

if you have it on and someone casts transmute Mud to Stone on it, what happens?

is it now permanent? would you rule the AC would increase?
    Actually... heh. Reading the description of http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mud_armor, it sounds like it is just mud that is slathered on the body and allowed to dry. As you may or may not know, living bodies flex and bend when they move. Encasing them in a thick layer of stone that allows no movement of muscles and joints, and then turning it to stone... that sounds like a great way to lock up someone. I would happily use a villain who uses that to make living "statues" of their defeated foes.

I would grant an AC increase, but also immobility.

This assumes you cast it on a foe. If you CAREFULLY placed the mud on yourself and cast the spell, and you accounted for needing straps and whatnot to keep it in place, and you were capable of using heavy armor, I would permit it as some sort of stone plate from an appropriate sourcebook like Races of Stone.
    I use my Avatar at work as a Sepia Snake Sigil. You put it somewhere where the other players will inevitably find it and focus on it, requiring them to pass it off to another. If you manage not to focus on it, you don't have to take it.

I bet you just focused on it, didn't you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

See, I want to think that the Dwarf King actually carries the chiseled-in-stone national constitution into battle strapped to his arm as a shield, but I get the feeling that's not what you meant.
    Even if that's not what ArqArturo meant, it's still suitably epic. I'm definitely going to use that if I ever DM a game with a dwarven king.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Griffo View Post
    Why can't it be both?.

Also, here's some cool Dwarven Artwork.

Spoiler
    Show

MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

It's a shame how few artists actually draw dwarven ladies with their authentic dwarven beards. Friggin' human hegemony.

Solid art, though.
    I have been suddenly forced to move to a new home. Expect shaky contributions for the next week or two while I deal with this process. Thank you for your patience!

Why yes, stalwart stranger, I did miss the fact that there was a slightly-too-small character limit on user names before I activated my account.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cowardly Griffo View Post
    It's a shame how few artists actually draw dwarven ladies with their authentic dwarven beards. Friggin' human hegemony.

Solid art, though.
    The last one is from the PHB for 4e; they really stepped up the artwork, especially for the race descriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text