New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: "Screw you guys; I'm going home!" [Worst Gaming Experiences of your life]

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Best guess is the same reason they hate the CN character, or the stealthy rogue. Too many times they have dealt with "LolRANDOM!" CN characters that ruin everything and pretend it means they are roleplaying instead of being asses, or rogues that steal everything from everyone in the group in such a way that there is nothing that can be done to stop it in game and it pisses everyone off, and of course, the lawful stick up his bum paladin that plays such a harsh interpretation of the rules that it keeps the rest of the group from being able to do anything moderately enjoyable. "OH, we cant just wipe out the bandit camp, there might be good people in there with robin hood complexes! lets do this the hard way, capture everyone, then turn them over to the guard." Or they just HEARD too many stories about it. Which is more likely imo.
    I ran into that the first time I decided to make a paladin. Their reasoning to me was that I'd simply be boxing myself into a predictable set of stereotypes. Most of our shared interest is in the story-telling and dramatic aspect of the game, and when we play Pathfinder we usually remain neutral-ish.

I'm the baby of the group gaming-wise. I'm dealing with people who have gone through the wringer of headache-inducing experiences while gaming and now seek to actively nip these problematic elements in the bud with the way they prep and arrange our games. They're well meaning and generally reasonable but I am still outside looking in regarding their more prejudicial views, so making a rather conventional paladin to see what I could do with it was a rather innocuous break from them.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2014-08-31 at 05:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: "Screw you guys; I'm going home!" [Worst Gaming Experiences of your life]

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    This was the guy that 1) ran the Palladium game with the cursed sword (and keep bringing up the story despite my asking him not to out of anger and embarrassment on my part) and 2) was the bounty hunter that, under orders from another player, shot (and almost killed) my character in the current Star Wars game.
    Why do you keep playing with this specimen?

As for the Vampire thing... well, thematically, vampires are all about rape. (And disease, and various other bad things.) And the game is all about backstabbing. Doesn't make him any less of a jerk, though.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2014-08-31 at 05:22 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoilered because of ramblings.
    Spoiler
    Show

As I just found out I never wrote about my own worst campaign. We were starting a game of Shadowrun and since I was the only one with experience with the system, I recommended everyone stay away from subsystems so we could learn the rules and make it easier on the GM. So taking my advice under consideration, what does most of the group do? Dive right into the subsystems. First there was the Mage, guy was pretty decent at optimization, and a better roleplayer, so I figured we’d just keep the most insane applications of magic at a low level (plus the guy refuses to play anything other than a magic user). Second was the Adept. Okay, since we’re already using the magic subsystem, that shouldn’t be hard on the GM, and really the Adept isn’t much more than a magic street sam. Then I found out he’s a vampire. The GM said he’d be okay with it, so whatever. Third, there was the Street Sam. Finally someone took my advice. Now if the guy would do any roleplaying at all, we could have a glorious friendship. Can’t blame him though, I was pretty shy when I started as well. Finally, myself, I played an Unarmed Street Sam with a minor in Facing. Partially I wanted to let the others take the lead so they could learn the system, but mostly I just wanted to play Batman.

So, the game starts, and we’re being run through Food Fight as an introduction. I told the GM if he wants our characters to be somewhere, he should just start us there, but instead he decides to have a mini session with all of us to establish our characters in the universe. At least he mandated that we have a reason to go to the Stuffer Shack. I start with the munchies and see a pimp slapping one of his girls. I’m all set to go to her rescue, when she spits nerve toxin in his face and kills the guy. I’m stunned, (how does a working girl afford the nerve toxin, let alone the surgery for a spit sac) but I figure he’s just trying to establish how much of a craphole we live in. I go over to roll the body, and take his nuyen and knife, leaving aside his gold watch because of my allergies. My knowledge check tells me the knife belongs to a member of the Mob, and is his signature weapon. I’m thinking plot hook, and I can leave the knife at a future run to implicate the Mob. That ends my session. The Street Sam’s and Adept’s both are similarly uneventful, except for a massive rogue AI that passes overhead. As I later find out, the city is home to an AI that posts “mysterious” jobs for people to complete. No one is claiming responsibility for this AI, and it is powerful enough that no one wants to mess with it. As an aside, the jobs are mysterious because no one can figure out why an AI would want them done, being things like dropping a disposable comlink in a specific part of town. Since those jobs are invariably followed by go to that part of town and answer the ringing comlink… but the guy was new at intrigue so whatever. Finally comes the Mage’s session. He’s walking down the street when he sees some Zen heads lying on the hood of their car, staring at the stars, naked under a blanket. The Mage decides this is the perfect time to simultaneously establish his character and test out the magic system. So he casts Mob Control and has the guy choke out his girlfriend. This pisses of the GM. Apparently, mind controlling someone into murder “taints the atmosphere of the game” and he can’t continue now.

After calming him down, and figuring out a method of reducing the power of Mob Control (periodic saves to wear it down, immediate save when command to do something that goes against their nature), we continue with the game. We had some good sessions, but the GM now has it in for the Mage. We find out that mages leave an astral signature when casting magic, lasting 1 hour per force. A mage can disrupt it, getting rid of 1 hour per turn, and can summon up a magic fluff ball to do it for him. We as a group decide that since Mage would have known to do that, he did. Cue Mage’s face on the trido as a wanted criminal. Turns out the Zen heads had called the cops, “suspecting magical influence” and apparently every squad has a mage with them, most of them initiated so they can change how their astral signature looks to show everyone else.

Then comes the GMPC party. There was the morally and magically better Mage (mostly because of GM fait), the awesome Street Sam that can run so fast she can dodge bullets (once again GM fait), the troll Face that has connections everywhere we care about (oh, your character is a teacher at a university? He is a personal friend of the president), and a Rigger that I think only existed to have a fourth member. We run into them during a B&E, where they were going to blow up the building. We end up needing to use their exit plan when we find out the building is going to explode in a few seconds, I want nothing to do with this team after this, but suddenly all jobs disappear except through this team. I think there were a few jobs in between, but it was obvious he wanted to have us put in our place as we watch his awesome team. I forget exactly how, but we end up fighting in a forest against them. We quickly dispatch the rigger and the troll wasn’t there. Street Sam McDodgerton ends up running away, and she had enough cyberware to run at like 60 mph. The MMMage casts invisibility, so I say I’ll just use my ultrasonic vision to find and kill it. Seems the MMMage can sneak so well I don’t even get a chance to find it. We track him down and I was the only one to catch the transition from the woods to a parking lot. Our Mage casts Lighting Bolt to shut down a car speeding away from us, and instead of pointing out that there are cameras around, our exploits end up on the news. It seems that our GM now hates us all (except for our Street Sam, but he barely talked) and wants to start over.

Instead of talking to us out of game, he just kept dropping hints for us to go to sleep. Now, we had just upgraded our hideout with top of the line security, and, because at least 2 of us only needed 4 hours of sleep, we slept in shifts. He hadn’t counted on that, so I decided to throw him a bone and go to sleep. When we wake up, we don’t recognize anything, because we were in a Total Recall like machine. No rolls, no chance to fight off our kidnappers just us in a new universe. My character had a previously stated paranoia about virtual reality, and I stated that if he couldn’t tell reality from fiction, he would kill himself. I tried a few methods to figure out which one was which, but in the end I had to kill my character off. This caught him by surprise, but we were even more surprised when everyone but Mage thought this was a great idea and followed suit. I had been prepared to make a new character, but with 75% of the party dead, I figured he’d make something up. Nope we were just dead, and this was the real world. Until it wasn’t. After making new characters and playing a session or two, some hacker shows up to tell us this is a simulation and if we hold tight he would get us out. In game, he needed a week to break us out, out of game it seems like he needed a month. After half an hour of us being asked what we do, and us telling him we sit tight waiting to be broken out, we were bored and decided to do one of the jobs being offered. That was a mistake, as our new characters were very pink Mohawk. Seems the constant explosions were taxing the system, making it harder for the hacker to get us out (and simulating 4 different, recursive universes weren’t?). That was about the time we all go fed up and ended the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As an aside, my character was hated because he had made a joke during a run about stealing a horse to sell for parts. The GM had made a super horse with over 2 billion nuyen worth of cyberware in it, and apparently didn’t understand that we were professional criminals with no qualms about killing a person if the money was right, let alone a horse.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Casual murder? Fine! But animal cruelty? That's beyond the pale!"

5. - Top - End - #185

Also, "Mind control is super evil, unless I'm doing it." That car that was speeding away from us? The MMMage mind controlled the driver to do that when we caught up.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Man, threads like this make me NEVER want to try Shadowrun.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by DM Nate View Post
    Unfortunately, such shenanigans aren't limited to a single system. You can get just as horrible with D&D.
    You are my God.

8. - Top - End - #188

He was an okay GM, other than what I mentioned. If I remember correctly, the campaign ended up lasting for about 4 months before falling apart. He just had issues when his beliefs were challenged. Like one time, we were discussing how a Gunslinger could get a full attack if they had the right feats. Our GM said it was unrealistic and didn't allow it in his games. I retorted with something like, "I can play a Sorcerer, say some giberish, throw some poo around, and fire appears". Then he started crying, because apparently he has had this same argument many times in the past, and everyone uses magic as their argument.
    -Snow White

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I recant my previous statement. If playing Shadowrun can make someone start crying after I mention flinging poo around, sign me up!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There was a game I actually did walk away from, a star wars saga game a friend ran. Not as bad as some other stories posted. For the first few sessions it was good for a Rebellion era game.

Then it became like a star wars celebrity palooza as every canon jedi and sith involved with the Clone wars era , minus the two who ruled the empire, Dooku and Grievous, showed up on a single planet to boss us around against the empire. This was to be our mission hub.

Now I was playing an Ithorian going the Force wizard route and wanted to be support, so I wouldn't overshadow anyone. To add he was lazy, unambitous but self preservation was always a priority, which when he joined up with the original party, became preservation of all it's members.

My character was rather uncomfortable with the glowing neon sign to the empire of "Hey Force Users here!" that served as our mission hub. After that, a player had to drop due to scheduling conflicts. Unfortunately it was the player who was everyone else's ride at the time.

The Gm then brought in pc's of the week as different people whom were the drivers that brought the others there. They were largely uninterested in the game and were disruptive, if they couldn't kill/shoot/maim whatever encounter, combat or otherwise was there.

The game was falling apart and rather politely I had told the Gm that I would be withdrawing from the game as it became more tedious than fun and would prefer to leave at that time than to stay the course and withdraw on far more bitter note.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    He was an okay GM, other than what I mentioned. If I remember correctly, the campaign ended up lasting for about 4 months before falling apart. He just had issues when his beliefs were challenged. Like one time, we were discussing how a Gunslinger could get a full attack if they had the right feats. Our GM said it was unrealistic and didn't allow it in his games. I retorted with something like, "I can play a Sorcerer, say some giberish, throw some poo around, and fire appears". Then he started crying, because apparently he has had this same argument many times in the past, and everyone uses magic as their argument.
    it's not even the right feats - its just one feat. rapid reload and alchemical cartridges...

get a video of a trick shooter and show him many people can infact do so with older firearms...

12. - Top - End - #192

I recant my previous statement. If playing Shadowrun can make someone start crying after I mention flinging poo around, sign me up!
    FYI, the Gunslinger is from Pathfinder, though there were similar conversations about Shadowrun that ended the same.
    -Snow White

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Spoilered because of ramblings.
    Spoiler
    Show

Then comes the GMPC party. There was the morally and magically better Mage (mostly because of GM fait), the awesome Street Sam that can run so fast she can dodge bullets (once again GM fait), the troll Face that has connections everywhere we care about (oh, your character is a teacher at a university? He is a personal friend of the president), and a Rigger that I think only existed to have a fourth member. We run into them during a B&E, where they were going to blow up the building. We end up needing to use their exit plan when we find out the building is going to explode in a few seconds, I want nothing to do with this team after this, but suddenly all jobs disappear except through this team. I think there were a few jobs in between, but it was obvious he wanted to have us put in our place as we watch his awesome team. I forget exactly how, but we end up fighting in a forest against them. We quickly dispatch the rigger and the troll wasn’t there. Street Sam McDodgerton ends up running away, and she had enough cyberware to run at like 60 mph. The MMMage casts invisibility, so I say I’ll just use my ultrasonic vision to find and kill it. Seems the MMMage can sneak so well I don’t even get a chance to find it. We track him down and I was the only one to catch the transition from the woods to a parking lot. Our Mage casts Lighting Bolt to shut down a car speeding away from us, and instead of pointing out that there are cameras around, our exploits end up on the news. It seems that our GM now hates us all (except for our Street Sam, but he barely talked) and wants to start over.

Honestly? I could probably make a fun antagonist out of that Face. Make him a Belloq "one-up" type. Always undermining your schemes. Suddenly, making connections for runs turns into instead figuring out how to break HIS connections, and undermine his information network. Personal friend of the university president? What happens if the board finds about about this guy's secret underground dogfighting drug ring to raise money for a rival university? Suddenly the President needs to decide between his position, or severing ties. Oh, there was no such ring? My mistake. ;-)

Could break other ties using runs involving things like blackmail, planting evidence, stealing evidence he's using for his own blackmail, etc. Character assassination doesn't need to meet courtroom standards.

Of course, the trick is setting the guy up as "one step ahead" without making him invincible. And having sufficient communication with the group that "NPC blocks your direct maneuver" comes across as an intended challenge, rather than a GM doorslam lockdown.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Oh trust me, I tried offing his character short of directly shooting him in the head with a high powered rifle (because apparently vampires aren't allowed to directly murder their peers or some BS). I as a PC don't, and can't, scheme. I'm more in favor of the 'ol "I put my gun to the back of his head when he turns around and shoot him until the gun goes click" method.
    What about all the fun ideas we fed you over in the WoD thread?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    What about all the fun ideas we fed you over in the WoD thread?
    Tried'em, didn't work.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Honestly? I could probably make a fun antagonist out of that Face. Make him a Belloq "one-up" type. Always undermining your schemes. Suddenly, making connections for runs turns into instead figuring out how to break HIS connections, and undermine his information network. Personal friend of the university president? What happens if the board finds about about this guy's secret underground dogfighting drug ring to raise money for a rival university? Suddenly the President needs to decide between his position, or severing ties. Oh, there was no such ring? My mistake. ;-)

Could break other ties using runs involving things like blackmail, planting evidence, stealing evidence he's using for his own blackmail, etc. Character assassination doesn't need to meet courtroom standards.

Of course, the trick is setting the guy up as "one step ahead" without making him invincible. And having sufficient communication with the group that "NPC blocks your direct maneuver" comes across as an intended challenge, rather than a GM doorslam lockdown.
    Mostly he was annoying because he kept showing up. If he had been presented on his own as a new fixer contact, he probably wouldn't have annoyed me, but since he was on the GM's Mary Sue runner team...
    -Snow White

17. - Top - End - #197
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly, V:tM is about the kind of dark nonsense complained about on the last couple of pages. If the ST isn't in agreement with you that this behavior is not the kind of game he wants to run, you should just leave the game. It's not for you. Being bitter about it OOC and having a vendetta - to the point of metagaming to justify it - is not justified. Demanding that you be exempt from PvP in a game where it's de rigor is asking for an unfair advantage. It's like playing Monopoly and saying you feel violated when you have to pay rent for landing on somebody else's space.

If you don't enjoy it, don't play the game, but I don't think they were being jerks for playing the game set out before them. There's nothing wrong with saying, when it comes up (if you didn't know it would), "Hey, this isn't cool. I don't like this. Let's avoid it, okay?" But if their response is, "No, it's part of the game," then your only justified and proper responses are, "Okay, I guess I'll put up with it," (presumably because you find the rest of it tolerable) or, "Okay, this game isn't for me. Sorry, guys, but I'm dropping out."

"How dare they play the game they want to play and not let me play my own that invalidates aspects of theirs!? I will take it out on them until they decide to kick me out or acquiesce to my demands!" is not a good response.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Honestly, V:tM is about the kind of dark nonsense complained about on the last couple of pages. If the ST isn't in agreement with you that this behavior is not the kind of game he wants to run, you should just leave the game. It's not for you. Being bitter about it OOC and having a vendetta - to the point of metagaming to justify it - is not justified. Demanding that you be exempt from PvP in a game where it's de rigor is asking for an unfair advantage. It's like playing Monopoly and saying you feel violated when you have to pay rent for landing on somebody else's space.

If you don't enjoy it, don't play the game, but I don't think they were being jerks for playing the game set out before them. There's nothing wrong with saying, when it comes up (if you didn't know it would), "Hey, this isn't cool. I don't like this. Let's avoid it, okay?" But if their response is, "No, it's part of the game," then your only justified and proper responses are, "Okay, I guess I'll put up with it," (presumably because you find the rest of it tolerable) or, "Okay, this game isn't for me. Sorry, guys, but I'm dropping out."

"How dare they play the game they want to play and not let me play my own that invalidates aspects of theirs!? I will take it out on them until they decide to kick me out or acquiesce to my demands!" is not a good response.
    On the other hand, the thread is about 'worst gaming experiences of your life', so if the V:TM story in question meets that qualifier, it's appropriate regardless of whether the story fits setting material. All that means is that V:TM isn't a good game for the person in question.

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    On the other hand, the thread is about 'worst gaming experiences of your life', so if the V:TM story in question meets that qualifier, it's appropriate regardless of whether the story fits setting material. All that means is that V:TM isn't a good game for the person in question.
    Indeed. I would not have spoken up if it weren't for the advice - seemingly somewhat serious, to me (though I could be wrong) - that suggested she would be justified in taking her misery out on the others, rather than accepting that it's not for her and bowing out of the game.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. I would not have spoken up if it weren't for the advice - seemingly somewhat serious, to me (though I could be wrong) - that suggested she would be justified in taking her misery out on the others, rather than accepting that it's not for her and bowing out of the game.
    I just backtracked through the thread and only saw advice about taking her misery out on the others in-character. Which, given your own position on V:TM, is a far more than fair thing to do.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

This is where I disagree with you. In this story (and at least one of the others that Silus has mentioned), the problem is that the offending player was apparently exempt from PvP. Specifically, that things like mind-****ing were allowed, but stabbing another PC in the face was forbidden.

Which is a standpoint I see from time to time - and it is utter garbage. If you're messing with another PCs mind, stealing their stuff, messing up their goals, and generally ****ing with them - then you are engaging in PvP. Demanding that you not be subject to PvP violence in return is the height of hypocrisy. And so is a GM allowing the former type of behavior but getting upset when the latter happens.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2014-09-02 at 04:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have walked out of a game twice.

One time in Mage I was playing a mortal whose only supernatural ability was immunity to mind control and a high willpower. The very first NPC we encountered dominated me with a custom spell that ignored immunities and allowed no willpower roll to resist.

Second time I was playing a mage in D&D and I got hit with an artifact that sapped all magic from me for the rest of the adventure. I mean all magic, I could not cast or memorize spells, and all of my magic items and even racial SLAs ceased working. It was like my own personal anti magic field that followed me wherever I went but didn't affect anyone else trying to cast spells on me. (In the same session the parties fighter got hit by a "custom epic level spell" that reduced his MAXIMUM hit points to 1 for the rest of the adventure. Not fun times.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

23. - Top - End - #203

Unfortunately I've used up my two really "bad" stories on other Threads before this one. But for the purposes of contributing for people who might not have seen the older threads I'll put them up here.

Spoiler: Failing a Spot Check
    Show
    Alright so the system is 4ed. One of our friends wants to run a one shot campaign to test out an idea he had. Asks us all to roll up characters who could fill certain rolls and since one of those rolls is "person with good streetwise who knows the local customs" I decide to make a bard. DM shows up so tired he can barely sit up, tells us he's scrapped the original idea and we're playing a different story now. Oh and now he's also playing a DMPC 2 levels higher than the rest of the party. When we asked him why the DMPC outleveled the party he said "Because you'll need it." When we asked why he didn't just set character creation at a higher level he said "because you don't need that much."

Anyway I'm not going to go into too much detail about the campaign itself other than it was a mess. We went off into a forest where my bard's pumped up streetwise skill was literally useless, and I didn't even get to contribute anything in combat because the DMs character pretty much oneshot everything, and the other two characters cleaned up whatever he didn't manage to get in one hit. So I'm basically just trailing along being dead weight.

Now we're in the forest to try and catch a criminal who's known for targeting young women. I'm a pretty little bard with armor that can morph into normal clothing and a songbow that makes me invisible to whoever I shoot with it. My perception is also pretty great. So when we get close to where the criminal is hiding we decide that I'll go out into a field, and sit amongst the wildflowers looking like an ordinary peasant girl playing her harp for the woodland critters. The idea is that the guy tries to take advantage of a supposedly easy mark, and then I pop him with my bow, vanish, and then the rest of the party jumps out of the bushes for a surprise round. It was a good plan. I'm still proud of that plan. But at the time I was just thrilled that I /finally/ got to do something useful. I was contributing!

Now here's where the DM being dead tired comes into play. While my bard is strumming away at her instrument and keeping an eye out for gnoll bandits, the DM asks me to roll perception so I do it. He tells me my character fails to notice a snake slithering through the grass towards her. Since A. My character is already on high alert and B. DMs aren't supposed to make you check for obvious things, I figured it was a normal sized snake, probably poisonous, and that I was going to have to roll endurance to try and not die.

My character manages to spot the snake as, in the GMs words, "it rears up to attempt to swallow you." Which is the point I go "Wait hold up. How big is this thing?" Turns out my character somehow misses the basilisk from harry freaking potter sneaking up on her. As do her party members. There is no grass in the world tall enough to hide something like that. So of course the ranger oneshots the stupid thing anyway so it doesn't matter. Only the stupid snake blew our cover and we don't get to surprise the criminal and I don't get to contribute. Again.

Spoiler: The Tick System
    Show
    This one is short and sweet. My brother has a lot of tabletop nerd friends (and was the one responsible for turning me into a tabletop nerd as well) so every so often one of them wants to do something experimental. Sometimes this turns out cool, sometimes not so cool. This was a not so cool time. One of the guys had decided to try and re-engineer 4ed so that it ran on what he called "the ticks system" where basically every power had a number assigned to it and that number was the amount of time you had to wait before you could use the power.

Now the way a tick system is /supposed/ to work from what I've been told, is that they work like a cooldown. So I move, I use the power, I have to wait 7 ticks before I can use the power in combat again. Only for some reason he was using the idea backwards. So I'd move, declare which power I was using, wait 7 ticks, and /then/ the power would go off. The only problem was moving one square only took up one tick and players couldn't move while waiting for their attack to resolve. So while the PC is presumably standing there with sword raised, the goblin they're aiming for can get on the other side of the room if they want to.

It too THREE HOURS to kill ONE ENEMY and we didn't even manage to get through the combat encounter before everyone was just like "This is taking too long we're out." Everyone told the DM point blank that the idea was awful, and he couldn't seem to get why everyone had such a problem with it. So the game didn't continue after that point. We still go "Well at least it's not the tick system" when confronted with DM shenanigans.

This isn't a full fledged story but it's more recent. I had a DM for a 5ed game who was by all accounts a really really good GM. Like he really went all out and I appreciate that. But he was one of those guys who would only let us roll for social encounters if we pestered him about it, and if we had to roll for it then chances of success were slim unless someone nat 20'd. Like I appreciate wanting players to actually roleplay their characters. Generally that is a thing I like to do. But I am also not a 19 charisma bard in real life, sometimes I need help from the dice because I get tongue tied easily. A problem my character should not share.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raine_Sage View Post
    Now we're in the forest to try and catch a criminal who's known for targeting young women. I'm a pretty little bard
    "Uh oh, I know where this is going..."

*it doesn't go there*

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    it's not even the right feats - its just one feat. rapid reload and alchemical cartridges...

get a video of a trick shooter and show him many people can infact do so with older firearms...
    I've never actually played a gunslinger so I don't really remember from reading it over how easy it is to get more than one firearm but from what I was taught in school, pirates and such who used flintlock pistols and such would often carry several, so another possible thing to do is just get four or more guns and have the quickdraw feat.

Also, can't you use the one in the book that has like six loaded barrels that you rotate?
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JetThomasBoat View Post
    I've never actually played a gunslinger so I don't really remember from reading it over how easy it is to get more than one firearm but from what I was taught in school, pirates and such who used flintlock pistols and such would often carry several, so another possible thing to do is just get four or more guns and have the quickdraw feat.

Also, can't you use the one in the book that has like six loaded barrels that you rotate?
    several firearms works in theory, but not by RaW because it takes an action to drop/holster a weapon - it could work in theory if your DM lets you use quick draw to stash as well as draw, and is a cool idea, but needs outside help

revolvers are in the pathfinder system, indeed - they cost more than a +2 weapon, deal the same damage as a pistol, but do get 6 shots before needing a reload. but they cost more than a +2 weapon, and the gunslinger can get rapid reload as one of her bonus feats - which is still useful as heck for the revolver, because you still have to take a break from firing without it

so it's a case of paying more for little gain

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    several firearms works in theory, but not by RaW because it takes an action to drop/holster a weapon - it could work in theory if your DM lets you use quick draw to stash as well as draw, and is a cool idea, but needs outside help

revolvers are in the pathfinder system, indeed - they cost more than a +2 weapon, deal the same damage as a pistol, but do get 6 shots before needing a reload. but they cost more than a +2 weapon, and the gunslinger can get rapid reload as one of her bonus feats - which is still useful as heck for the revolver, because you still have to take a break from firing without it

so it's a case of paying more for little gain
    I suppose that makes sense. Then again, I'm a person who has lost more than a few masterwork composite longbows because I just dropped them instead of wasting an action to put it away when I went to go hit something with a sword, so I would probably just drop my guns all over the place. Probably a good thing I don't play gunslingers, then.

I think I would let quickdraw work for that, since there's the whole thing where you can draw a weapon as part of a move action making quickdraw about half as useful as I thought when I first started playing the game, but a lot of DMs might not be that willing.
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    "Uh oh, I know where this is going..."

*it doesn't go there*

Exactly what I was thinking, lol. This may be the first time that's ever happened, and it's a welcome relief.

29. - Top - End - #209

Haha, wow I didn't realize how bad that sounded until I read it again. Nope none of that in any game I've played so far thank god. The criminal in question was more like jack the ripper if he was a gnoll and didn't limit himself to just prostitutes. I know that sounds awesome but in practice it was just incredibly boring. Friends don't let friends DM when they're tired.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    This is where I disagree with you. In this story (and at least one of the others that Silus has mentioned), the problem is that the offending player was apparently exempt from PvP. Specifically, that things like mind-****ing were allowed, but stabbing another PC in the face was forbidden.

Which is a standpoint I see from time to time - and it is utter garbage. If you're messing with another PCs mind, stealing their stuff, messing up their goals, and generally ****ing with them - then you are engaging in PvP. Demanding that you not be subject to PvP violence in return is the height of hypocrisy. And so is a GM allowing the former type of behavior but getting upset when the latter happens.
    I agree whole-heartedly that, if one PC is allowed to use mechanics on another without the target's player's consent, all other PCs should be allowed to use mechanics on each other with similar levels of consent.

The major objection that made me post was in response to a post that ended with something along the lines of, "Yeah, nosell everything they do and ignore the rules of the game until they're so annoyed they let you do whatever you want or kick you out of the game."

If it's come to that point, you should just leave. Playing the guy who refuses to acknowledge that the rules say X has happened and refusing to imagine the same scene as everybody else (by virtue of imagining your character is doing one thing while the others imagine something else) is disruptive OOC behavior.

But yes, if there's PvP, you should be allowed to respond in kind.