New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Hearthstone 7: Maexxna...is a GIANT SPIDER! Muahahaha

Man, this Paladin arena deck just feels kinda solid. Nothing "that's AMAZING!" but just been solid. Currently 3-0 (I just jinxxed it, didn't I?), and I feel it might beat my record of 5 wins.

Spoiler: Paladin Arena
    Show

Humility
    Repentance
    Worgen Infiltrator
    Argent Protector
    Loot Hoarder
    Mad Bomber
    Sunfury Protector
    Sword of Justice
    Aldor Peacekeeper
    Earthen Ring Farseer
    Flesheating Ghoul
    Ironfur Grizzly
    Scarlet Crusader
    Truesilver Champion
    Consecration
    Hammer of Wrath
    Cult Master
    Dark Iron Dwarf
    Gnomish Inventor
    Sen'jin Shieldmaster x2
    Spellbreaker
    Stormwind Knight
    Azure Drake
    Fen Creeper
    Sludge Belcher
    Priestess of Elune
    Guardian of Kings x2
    Stormwind Champion

Man, 30 card deck, and I have 28 unique cards. Only 2 duplicates. Got good use out of the Sword of Justice. Fun weapon.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just got an 11 with a pretty mediocre-feeling mage deck. You just never know.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Double also, I just realized that now that I'm recording arena runs, I can actually ask for advice on picks meaningfully and all of that. http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.ph...&arena=342109#
    Spoiler: Thoughts on that linked draft
    Show
    Looking at that list, I'd have considered the raptor 5th pick over the corsair. 3/3 taunts never seem to do much, and sometimes it's overcosted to boot.

I'm also wondering if you took that 8th pick arcanite reaper because you had the corsair. Granted you already had one dark iron dwarf, but it's a great card as is spectral knight and I'm not sure arcanite reaper is the right pick there.

9th, I actually like execute over dire wolf alpha. It solves problem cards even though it's rarely card advantage.

I'm not sure about the rampage at pick 24. You already had a leper gnome, and windfury harpy isn't exactly something to write home about, but rampage isn't that great and the only cards in your deck I'd expect to be sitting around with damage on them are the sunwalker and pair of kodos. And even then, not that often. None of the choices were great, but I tend to default to taking an extra mid-size body in that situation and would probably have gone with the harpy.

Lucky snagging a war axe at pick 27. You almost didn't get one, which always sucks.

Pick 28, I'd have taken the swords. The ghoul never does anything, the swords can get in some solid damage or trade well, even though they give you card disadvantage.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Azul View Post
    I just got an 11 with a pretty mediocre-feeling mage deck. You just never know.
    OMG, I'm 6-1. 6-1! 84 Arena wins in and I hit a 6 streak! *wheeze* I...I need to lie down for a bit.

Edit: Finished 7-3. Pretty close fights. And I got a pack (nothing exciting), 25 dust (meh), and 155 gold! So, um, free pack and dust, and I have the gold to do another arena.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2014-08-27 at 04:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler: Thoughts on that linked draft
    Show

I'm also wondering if you took that 8th pick arcanite reaper because you had the corsair. Granted you already had one dark iron dwarf, but it's a great card as is spectral knight and I'm not sure arcanite reaper is the right pick there.

Pick 28, I'd have taken the swords. The ghoul never does anything, the swords can get in some solid damage or trade well, even though they give you card disadvantage.
    I'd pick Arcanite Reaper over Spectral Knight any day. Its first swing will usually kill something about as big as the Spectral Knight, the second one severely limits the opponent's choices. Dark Iron Dwarf might slightly edge it out, but it's a defensible pick.

Dancing Swords I don't think ever trades well enough to justify its drawback. All you need to 2-for-1 against it is a 3/2 you played on turn 2 and a damaging hero power, a ping, a slight buff... Dancing Swords would only be good in the kind of deck that wins before the card disadvantage becomes an issue, namely an aggro deck, but even then it can help your victim draw into board clear. Flesheating Ghoul isn't all that hard to drop as a 3/3, and that's already good enough considering it also doesn't draw your opponent a card. Drop it as a 4/3, and it's only marginally harder to kill, just as powerful, and still doesn't draw your opponent a card. And it can snowball from there, which Dancing Swords can't.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2014-08-27 at 07:51 AM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I'd pick Arcanite Reaper over Spectral Knight any day. Its first swing will usually kill something about as big as the Spectral Knight, the second one severely limits the opponent's choices. Dark Iron Dwarf might slightly edge it out, but it's a defensible pick.

Dancing Swords I don't think ever trades well enough to justify its drawback. All you need to 2-for-1 against it is a 3/2 you played on turn 2 and a damaging hero power, a ping, a slight buff... Dancing Swords would only be good in the kind of deck that wins before the card disadvantage becomes an issue, namely an aggro deck, but even then it can help your victim draw into board clear. Flesheating Ghoul isn't all that hard to drop as a 3/3, and that's already good enough considering it also doesn't draw your opponent a card. Drop it as a 4/3, and it's only marginally harder to kill, just as powerful, and still doesn't draw your opponent a card. And it can snowball from there, which Dancing Swords can't.
    Gotta disagree on the prioritizing Arcanite Reaper over good old Spectra Knight. 4/6 is a really, really good statline, and having a big, solid creature which is immune to non-boardwipeish removal is a huge boon!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd agree that the Ghoul is a better pick than Dancing Swords. Your opponent is going to fall over themselves to kill both of them, but for different reasons. The Swords are good for them to kill. The Ghoul is bad for them to not kill. Maybe if you had Undertaker the Swords would be better?

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I'll concede the ghoul is fine. My experience with it has been consistently lackluster, but you're probably right that I'm overestimating how much the swords can trade effectively. I feel like a 4/4 for 3 ought to get two cards or a big chunk of the opponent's life and a tempo advantage, but I haven't played with it enough to know for sure.

With arcanite reaper, I did say I wasn't sure what the pick was there. It's not so much that I think he was wrong to take it, as that I think that's a pick worth careful consideration. Reaper is a great card, but the kinds of things you want to remove with high toughness can also hit your face pretty hard. It can also be a 10 damage nuke to the opponent, but it's one of the slower weapons and if you're using it wrong or already in a tight spot, it can provide less board presence than one might like. Dark iron dwarf is a great card, and I think that spectral knight is also a spectacular 5-drop, so I consider that decision to be one of the hardest choices out of the draft. Depending on what kind of deck and style the drafter likes, I think that any of the three picks were defensible.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Gotta disagree on the prioritizing Arcanite Reaper over good old Spectra Knight. 4/6 is a really, really good statline, and having a big, solid creature which is immune to non-boardwipeish removal is a huge boon!
    So is a 5-2 weapon for 5. They're both great, is the point, I just think weapons have more of an impact overall than one single, albeit well-statted, minion. "Any day" was misstated, though. I would probably pick Spectral Knight if I already had an Arcanite Reaper or a Death's Bite or two. It's hard to compare the two cards outright since they don't fill the same role. But in a vacuum, I would pick the first Arcanite Reaper over a Spectral Knight.

My main beef with Spectral Knight (and it's probably ever so slightly unfair) is that its ability shines the most if you're ahead. If your opponent has a board, chances are they have a halfway decent way to trade it off; it's when they have no board and a hand full of removal that they'll hate seeing it the most. Arcanite Reaper, on the other hand, is what can allow a Warrior to swing the board around mid-game in the first place, so ideally you'd have both.

It might be that the addition of Death's Bite to the card pool necessitates a shift in this evaluation; it's made it somewhat easier to come into mid-game weapons. But weapons in general tend to be how warriors create both tempo and card advantage; a weaponless warrior is unlikely to make it far. (So is a minionless warrior, so it's a question of finding the right mix.)

At any rate, all of those three cards were good; picking any of them over the other is unlikely to make a big impact on the overall viability of the Arena deck. The problematic picks of that draft were elsewhere.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Yeah I'll concede the ghoul is fine. My experience with it has been consistently lackluster, but you're probably right that I'm overestimating how much the swords can trade effectively. I feel like a 4/4 for 3 ought to get two cards or a big chunk of the opponent's life and a tempo advantage, but I haven't played with it enough to know for sure.
    Even if 4/4 does take two cards from the opponent - and that's far from guaranteed; there are several 3-drops that trade evenly with it (Jungle Panther, Scarlet Crusader, Harvest Golem) without assistance - that's only breaking even in terms of card advantage, and if it does take two cards from the opponent, they're small cards. It's probably a good outcome for the player of Dancing Swords if it ends up eating, say, a Fireball, since decks only have so much quality removal.

If you want something big enough to warrant a drawback, I'd look at King Mukla. He is big enough, especially if you can clear the board so the Bananas lose value.

With arcanite reaper, I did say I wasn't sure what the pick was there. It's not so much that I think he was wrong to take it, as that I think that's a pick worth careful consideration. Reaper is a great card, but the kinds of things you want to remove with high toughness can also hit your face pretty hard. It can also be a 10 damage nuke to the opponent, but it's one of the slower weapons and if you're using it wrong or already in a tight spot, it can provide less board presence than one might like. Dark iron dwarf is a great card, and I think that spectral knight is also a spectacular 5-drop, so I consider that decision to be one of the hardest choices out of the draft. Depending on what kind of deck and style the drafter likes, I think that any of the three picks were defensible.
    My thinking on Warriors in Arena is this: Their hero power does nothing but protect them from damage they're going to sustain in the future. That means that there are few things more impotent than a Warrior that's run out of cards.

So any way you can offer to a warrior in which they sacrifice life for card advantage and/or tempo, a warrior should smirk devilishly in reply and grunt: "Good." Firey War Axe and Gorehowl might be best at the job, but even mid-game minions should rarely be big enough that the damage you take in the short term taking them out exceeds the board advantage you get out of it at a discount.

'Sides, Arcanite Reaper is still a damn sight faster than Spectral Knight. If your situation is so dire that you can't even eat short-term damage to remove a mid-game threat that would eventually deal more damage than that if left unchecked, having a Spectral Knight instead is even worse; what you'd want to see in your hand at that point is something like Kor'kron Elite, Execute, Argent Commander, Sunwalker or Mortal Strike.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2014-08-27 at 10:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

So is a 5-2 weapon for 5. They're both great, is the point, I just think weapons have more of an impact overall than one single, albeit well-statted, minion. "Any day" was misstated, though. I would probably pick Spectral Knight if I already had an Arcanite Reaper or a Death's Bite or two. It's hard to compare the two cards outright since they don't fill the same role. But in a vacuum, I would pick the first Arcanite Reaper over a Spectral Knight.

My main beef with Spectral Knight (and it's probably ever so slightly unfair) is that its ability shines the most if you're ahead. If your opponent has a board, chances are they have a halfway decent way to trade it off; it's when they have no board and a hand full of removal that they'll hate seeing it the most. Arcanite Reaper, on the other hand, is what can allow a Warrior to swing the board around mid-game in the first place, so ideally you'd have both.

It might be that the addition of Death's Bite to the card pool necessitates a shift in this evaluation; it's made it somewhat easier to come into mid-game weapons. But weapons in general tend to be how warriors create both tempo and card advantage; a weaponless warrior is unlikely to make it far. (So is a minionless warrior, so it's a question of finding the right mix.)

At any rate, all of those three cards were good; picking any of them over the other is unlikely to make a big impact on the overall viability of the Arena deck. The problematic picks of that draft were elsewhere.
    In my experience, Arcanite Reaper and Gorehowl aren't played much in Control Warrior these days (although Fiery Waraxe is always a staple), although the weapons certainly are good. Spectral Knight usually two-for-ones even if you play him naked on an empty board, unless your opponent has a several big dudes out already.

One last thing; you might have considered Shade instead of Mountain at the end? Shade's a pretty neat new card, in my experience!

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

i have enough dust for a legendary. Since I am not really playing constructed much (i try to gather gold from arenas and it's going sloooooow) what's a cool generic legendary to craft these days?

I already have Antonidas, VanCleef, Al'Akir, Leeroy, Baron Geddon, Ragnaros, Alexstraza, Malygos and Onyxia.

I am guessing most will suggest Thalnos or Cairne, and I am leaning towards the cow myself, but I could be persuaded otherwise...

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience, Arcanite Reaper and Gorehowl aren't played much in Control Warrior these days (although Fiery Waraxe is always a staple), although the weapons certainly are good. Spectral Knight usually two-for-ones even if you play him naked on an empty board, unless your opponent has a several big dudes out already.

One last thing; you might have considered Shade instead of Mountain at the end? Shade's a pretty neat new card, in my experience!
    Well, this is mostly about Arena; I don't know the Constructed meta all that well. I did think Gorehowl was one of the key components of Control Warrior, how do warriors handle midrange without it? Or is it just that the meta is so inundated with Zoo and Secret Hunter that Gorehowl simply never gets to do anything?

Keep in mind that last pick wasn't Mountain Giant, but Sea Giant. Sea Giant is one of the best epic Arena picks there are, full stop. (Mountain Giant is one of the worst, full stop.) Shade of Naxxramas is at least decent since it will be a 3/3 for 3 by the time you first get to use it, and it still keeps growing after that. It's also a skill test; people like to keep it stealthed so it can grow unimpeded, and that can be a serious mistake. As long as you don't actually attack with the Shade, its 3 mana investment goes unused, while whatever the opponent did with his 3 mana at that point probably did. As soon as you play the Shade, it has big neon letters flashing over it saying "SAVE A SILENCE FOR ME". Or Hex, or Polymorph, or Execute. So saving it too long is wrong, using it right away might waste its potential - the truth is somewhere in the middle, and probably dependant on how the individual game is going.

I don't see how it could hope to touch Sea Giant, but it's better than a lot of Epics. Can't tell you where in the order I would place it exactly. Behind Big Game Hunter, Blood Knight, probably closely behind Faceless Manipulator?

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D-naras View Post
    i have enough dust for a legendary. Since I am not really playing constructed much (i try to gather gold from arenas and it's going sloooooow) what's a cool generic legendary to craft these days?

I already have Antonidas, VanCleef, Al'Akir, Leeroy, Baron Geddon, Ragnaros, Alexstraza, Malygos and Onyxia.

I am guessing most will suggest Thalnos or Cairne, and I am leaning towards the cow myself, but I could be persuaded otherwise...
    Thalnos is a really good generic legendary. He fits into a whole lotta decks. I'd lean towards making one of him.

Well, this is mostly about Arena; I don't know the Constructed meta all that well. I did think Gorehowl was one of the key components of Control Warrior, how do warriors handle midrange without it? Or is it just that the meta is so inundated with Zoo and Secret Hunter that Gorehowl simply never gets to do anything?

Keep in mind that last pick wasn't Mountain Giant, but Sea Giant. Sea Giant is one of the best epic Arena picks there are, full stop. (Mountain Giant is one of the worst, full stop.) Shade of Naxxramas is at least decent since it will be a 3/3 for 3 by the time you first get to use it, and it still keeps growing after that. It's also a skill test; people like to keep it stealthed so it can grow unimpeded, and that can be a serious mistake. As long as you don't actually attack with the Shade, its 3 mana investment goes unused, while whatever the opponent did with his 3 mana at that point probably did. As soon as you play the Shade, it has big neon letters flashing over it saying "SAVE A SILENCE FOR ME". Or Hex, or Polymorph, or Execute. So saving it too long is wrong, using it right away might waste its potential - the truth is somewhere in the middle, and probably dependant on how the individual game is going.

I don't see how it could hope to touch Sea Giant, but it's better than a lot of Epics. Can't tell you where in the order I would place it exactly. Behind Big Game Hunter, Blood Knight, probably closely behind Faceless Manipulator?
    The general consensus is that Gorehowl is too slow, yeah. I think cards like Sludge Belcher or Unstable Ghoul are favored over it at the moment. (I still run Gorehowl because I don't actually have enough cards to make a real control Warrior so its basically a removal heavy midrange warrior deck.)

Your thoughts on Sea Giant seem well thought out, though. Gratz.

Zevox; I want to apologize for my conduct a few days ago. I was rather confrontational and rude; I was having a bad day and kinda snapped about a small thing. You're probably right about Kel'Thuzad, at least for now; a deck that properly takes advantage of his power is needed before he's as good as Rag is. (I think he's actually a little faster than Ysera, so he's not necessarily worse than her...)

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with Silfir on the sea giant pick (which is why I didn't bring it up when discussing the picks). Sea giant is spectacularly good, often coming down only a couple turns later than the shade and having a much bigger impact.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Troll in the Playground

cairne is pretty much the best
    Thalnos is a really good generic legendary. He fits into a whole lotta decks. I'd lean towards making one of him.
    he certainly used to fit into a whole lot of decks, but the current metagame is absolutely dominated by decks that don't run him at all. meanwhile, cairne and sylvanas remain excellent and very good, respectively, since they actually fit into a great deal of decks, rather than just a single archetype.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

"Generic?" Cairne, no question. He's a value legendary at a cost that isn't too high, allowing him to fit into any non-aggro deck. You can't go wrong with him.

Zevox; I want to apologize for my conduct a few days ago. I was rather confrontational and rude; I was having a bad day and kinda snapped about a small thing. You're probably right about Kel'Thuzad, at least for now; a deck that properly takes advantage of his power is needed before he's as good as Rag is. (I think he's actually a little faster than Ysera, so he's not necessarily worse than her...)
    Apology accepted, though to be honest I don't feel it was necessary. You were a bit vehement in that discussion, but not to the point where I felt you were being rude or took any offense.

And yes, Kel is a bit faster than Ysera, being one mana cheaper. I'd still take Ysera over him in general though, since she literally feeds you an extra card per turn in any circumstance, where Kel's value is heavily dictated by the board state.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Troll in the Playground

On a scale of one to ten, how bad is this gimmick deck?

"Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post

I dunno, like a 7?

Beats Deck of Legendaries probably, at least!

19. - Top - End - #1249

Daemon

0 obviously. 11/10 Silver Hand recruits ftw

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to find the Echoing Oozes in it, but they seem to have been cropped out of the screenshot.

21. - Top - End - #1251

[QUOTE=Infernally Clay;18013792]On a scale of one to ten, how bad is this gimmick deck?

Wait, which end of the scale is which?
    It doesn't matter what you CAN do--it matters what you WILL do.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lheticus View Post

Wait, which end of the scale is which?
    The center is the best of course.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1253

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    The center is the best of course.
    Is this scale TRYING to not make sense? XD

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this scale TRYING to not make sense? XD
    Eh, it still makes more sense than the ph scale (well there it does make sense but it is annoying to understand)

Show

25. - Top - End - #1255

So...we're operating on the assumption he actually doesn't much want true feedback? Ooh, even I can put my 2 cents in! On that scale of 1 to 10, I say...wumbo.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

So...we're operating on the assumption he actually doesn't much want true feedback? Ooh, even I can put my 2 cents in! On that scale of 1 to 10, I say...wumbo.
    Well seeing it is based on the center, 9.9999999999999999999999 or 1.0000000000000001 is pretty bad and 5.5 is the best. See, it still makes more sense than a negative logarithmic scale that measures the number of hydrogen positive ions to tell you how acidic or basic a solution is (I hope I got that right :P)

Show

27. - Top - End - #1257

Is it intended that Avenge resurrects your minions when there are simultaneous deaths (x/-1 gets buffed to x+3/1)

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by efdf View Post
    Is it intended that Avenge resurrects your minions when there are simultaneous deaths (x/-1 gets buffed to x+3/1)
    consistent with dark cultist buffing x/1's after getting swiped or death's bited.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Why did I go to the toxic cesspool that is the official forums? Its 90% people throwing around slurs and whining about decks being too popular or unfair, slash other people complaining about the complainers and saying 'l2play' or whatevs!

30. - Top - End - #1260

Why did I go to the toxic cesspool that is the official forums? Its 90% people throwing around slurs and whining about decks being too popular or unfair, slash other people complaining about the complainers and saying 'l2play' or whatevs!
    Congratulations, you've found most of the internet?