New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Star Wars SAGA] Shadows of the Republic IC

Taro Bantari

"Why are we still talking about this?" Taro asked, starting to grow a bit agitated.

"Do we fight and possibly die for people we don't know, who haven't promised us any reward, most likely killing other people we don't know, and who haven't done anything to us, and just hope and pray we're doing the right thing and get some reward and don't get killed? Or do we turn and run while we still can, and _not_ risk our lives to kill people we don't know for no reward?"

He ticked off reasons on his fingers as he spoke.

"The only thing we can't do is sit here and talk about it, because whoever wins is definitely going to notice us and then they're going to ask why we didn't help," he said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2014-09-05 at 09:34 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

As the crew debates the broadcast signal from the Republic is jammed and overridden by an unknown broadcast.

"Attention all Spacers and Mercenaries, this is Captain Jao of the Coalition of Free Traders, currently engaged with hostile Republic forces. Time is of the essence and I'll make this quick, aid my ships and receive 1,000 credits in gratitude, aid the Republic and be destroyed along with them."

The Spanner's readouts show more ships moving towards the firefight, some which had seemed to already have been moving to aid the Republic and now others presumably drawn in by Captain Jao's offer. Suddenly a new fight breaks out between the incoming ships. It seems this is about to turn into an all out space battle and the Spanner is going to need to pick a side, Republic, Mercenary, or Freedom and attempt to navigate to the other side of the grav-well and jump.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lemuel Cromlech
    aka Vimreon Clu

'Alright, let's get out of here, there's too much on the line. Let's maneuver to the opposite side of this gravity well.'

I'm the fast hero.

Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    The Witchknife: a Psionic-less Soulknife
    Warlock Invocations
    Characters
    Pathfinder
    Lenfrey Coyne, Ratfolk Sin Eater Inquisitor
    Mazer Mandrill, Gnome Saboteur Alchemist
    Ridley Rysewell, Half-Elf Carnivalist Rogue
    Star Wars Saga Edition
    Geoffrey Bears, Ryn Scoundrel

4. - Top - End - #274

What he said. 1000 credits between seven of us doesn't amount to very much.
    Spoiler: Games I am in
    Show
    The Search for the Sky (D&D 4E) • Dvergula IC OOC
    Zeison Sha avatar by linklele

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You guys are leaving because the pay isn't enough? You greedy bunch of b******s! Let me help the Republic, please!
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Taro Bantari

"Not good enough to risk my life in that cluster of death," Taro said, nodding to the growing furball in front of them.

"Give me your share of credits from this job and I'll jump into the gunnery pod and start blasting Jao's ships right now," he added, "then you can tell me afterwards why you want to help the Republic so much."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #277

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Taro Bantari

"Not good enough to risk my life in that cluster of death," Taro said, nodding to the growing furball in front of them.

"Give me your share of credits from this job and I'll jump into the gunnery pod and start blasting Jao's ships right now," he added, "then you can tell me afterwards why you want to help the Republic so much."
    Teeth gritted, Logan glares at Taro Only if everyone else agrees to help.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

8. - Top - End - #278

I have no ties to the Republic, even if the Jedi Order weren't so close to its centres of power. Look, I know you backed me up on Chalacta, and I'm grateful. But there, the morality of the situation was pretty clear, at least to me. This... we don't even know what this is, or who's in the right.

Besides, the rest of our shipmates have already made it very clear how they feel about risking the entire ship for the sake of personal loyalties. Think how much trouble we'll be in if we don't deliver our cargo safely.

Sorry, Logan, but I can't go along with you on this one.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

PaladinGuy

I guess you are out of a payday Taro. Logan storms out of the cockpit.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Taro Bantari

"Least I'm not killing people I don't know for no reason," Taro muttered.

He waited until the cockpit door shut.

"Alright, that's settled, let's get the hell out of here," he said.

Edit: seeing nobody else immediately take action, Taro moved forward and strapped himself into the pilot's seat. He gunned the engines, taking them away from the firefight, hopefully unnoticed.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2014-09-07 at 11:24 PM.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

The Spanner begins to move away from the battle, hoping to reach the edge of the Gravwell and jump to hyperspace. Unfortunately the quickly spiraling space battle doesn't allow such a smooth transition. A rogue refitted cargo ship, seemingly mistaking your vector as one of attack, peels off and makes to intercept the Spanner, it's weapons charging.

Roll initiative...

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Taro Bantari

"Uh oh, we've got company," Taro said.

"Shields up," he said, slamming the button for shipwide broadcast.

"Logan! Get your ass back up here, we're under attack!" He shouted.

Not waiting for a response, Taro threw the ship into a steep dive, hoping to avoid getting lit up before the shields could come online.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #283

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Taro Bantari

"Uh oh, we've got company," Taro said.

"Shields up," he said, slamming the button for shipwide broadcast.

"Logan! Get your ass back up here, we're under attack!" He shouted.

Not waiting for a response, Taro threw the ship into a steep dive, hoping to avoid getting lit up before the shields could come online.
    Logan pops his head back and scowls at Taro before seeing that no, it wasn't a Republic ship but one of the ships attacking the Republic. He clears the distance to the pilot seat in 3 long strides and pulls Taro out of the seat roughly, perhaps a little too roughly? And plops down in the pilot chair, taking the controls. Battle stations! NOW! Logan shouts at the crew.

(OOC: Okay, what do I do now? )

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Taro Bantari

Taro was so preoccupied with trying to save his own life his brain didn't even process the severity of Logan's shove. He sprinted out of the cockpit and skidded around the corner, heading for the nearest laser cannon well.

The young mercenary slid down the ladder and landed roughly in the gunner chair, not bothering to strap himself in as he primed the weapon.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now we wait for enemy initiative to see who goes first. As pilot you have a lot of actions available. You can fly defensively or full defensive to try and avoid being hit (though us gunners will take penalties to attack if you do that, this is probably a good thing to do as we probably have more guns, so we can overwhelm them with firepower, theoretically), or you can attack the enemy ship yourself if there's a pilot weapon (like a TIE or x-wing's laser cannons; I'm not sure if the spanner has one). As pilot you get a +2 to attacks with vehicle weapons. You can go on an attack run (basically a charge in space), or you can try to engage the enemy in a dogfight. What this means is each vehicle needs to make an opposed pilot check in order to attack the other, and you can't disengage without succeeding on an opposed pilot check.

As pilot, you have to spend a move action piloting, otherwise I think we take a huge reflex penalty or something.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2014-09-11 at 09:54 AM.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

(1d20+5)[17] vs Ref: 17

The unknown ship fired its laser cannon at the Spanner, the bright bolts just barely missing, scraping across the bulkhead and singing the ship without doing any significant damage.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-09-17 at 11:37 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Taro Bantari (concussion missile launcher)

"Okay you son of a bitch, shooting at us and all we want to do is get away," he muttered.

Taro brought up the targeting reticle and hovered it over the enemy ship, trying to block out the lasers pouring from its turret. The steady blips of the computer blended into a solid missile lock tone. His finger hovered over the firing trigger for just a half-second, before squeezing it against the grip.

Spoiler
    Show
    no access to my sheet, going by the first post in OOC.
    attack: (1d20+7)[19] + FP (1d6)[3]
    damage: (7d10+2)[51] x2
    +1/+2 if in point blank range.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

The missile smashed into the other ship's hull, causing it to veer away from the Spanner and opening up an escape avenue.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-09-20 at 03:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

PaladinGuy

(OOC: tell me if I mess up.)
    Logan steers the Spanner toward the escaping pirate scum. You won't escape me!
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Pilot check to enter a dogfight: [roll]1d20+16

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Taro Bantari

"Oh, now you're running away," Taro muttered, "thought we were easy pickings. Sorry, we don't want you sticking around to take revenge later. Don't start a fight you can't finish."

The targeting reticle turned from yellow to red again, and Taro let loose with a second concussion missile.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack: (1d20+7)[26] + FP (1d6)[4]
    damage: (7d10+2)[47] x2
    +1/+2 if we're in point blank range.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2014-09-20 at 10:31 PM.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #290

As the Spanner wheels round and the hostile ship whizzes in and out of view, Ev frantically scans the inky sky looking for any other threats.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    UtF (sense surroundings): take 10, total 20
    Perception - (1d20+10)[21]
    Show