New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ars Daemonica Reloaded - The 3.5 fiendish homebrew compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Hipster Dixit View Post
    Your argument is good, I must say. And it is surely better doing this than thinking up to a LA for every demon published. Now that I think about it, a 13th level demonbrand with +10 Charisma (a lot, but it is doable) could have a Marilith as a cohort... well I suppose the problem is the Leadership feat itself. I know that feat has awful mechanics; maybe with your help we can craft a new ability that does the same thing, but in a much more balanced way.
    The marilith trick wouldn't work since a cohort's level is limited by your own, so a 13th level character cannot have a cohort of a level higher than 11. Also, General of the Abyss is a 16th level ability, so I don't see how you can get it at 13th level in the first place...

Making a new ability may be a good way to prevent abuse. I suggest to write a list of demons that can be selected as followers or cohorts. My current idea would include dretch, mane and quasit as followers, and babau, bebilith, nalfeshnee, succubus and vrock as cohorts. Class levels and templates with LA would be allowed. I think quasits deserve to be an option on this list, even if they aren't tanar'ris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Network View Post
    The marilith trick wouldn't work since a cohort's level is limited by your own, so a 13th level character cannot have a cohort of a level higher than 11. Also, General of the Abyss is a 16th level ability, so I don't see how you can get it at 13th level in the first place...
    It seems by brain stopped working when I wrote that :D well just ignore it...

Making a new ability may be a good way to prevent abuse. I suggest to write a list of demons that can be selected as followers or cohorts. My current idea would include dretch, mane and quasit as followers, and babau, bebilith, nalfeshnee, succubus and vrock as cohorts. Class levels and templates with LA would be allowed. I think quasits deserve to be an option on this list, even if they aren't tanar'ris.
    Good idea. I also wanted to include as followers other creatures with the Thrall of a Demon Feat, whose patron is the same of the demonbrand. I'll make it for the next update, thank you.

3. - Top - End - #63

As a small favor I have a request for a monster. I recently had the idea for a lawful race of tanar'ri. My sketch involves demons that were captured and put into slavery by powerful devils and slowly got corrupted by the palatable law of the Nine Hells, before ultimately managing to regain their freedom and return to the Abyss. What these demons can do or look like is up to you. Could you make something with that concept?
    Last edited by Network; 2014-08-05 at 04:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a small favor I have a request for a monster. I recently had the idea for a lawful race of tanar'ri. My sketch involves demons that were captured and put into slavery by powerful devils and slowly got corrupted by the palatable law of the Nine Hells, before ultimately managing to regain their freedom and return to the Abyss. What these demons can do or look like is up to you. Could you make something with that concept?
    It will be a pleasure. Just one thing: I am just not sure about what do you mean by "race"... I suppose that every kind of demon (vrock, hezrou, dretch, etc) makes up a different race, much like humanoids have elves, dwarves, and so on. So maybe you're just requesting a couple of new monsters, all with a shared theme... In that case, I would go with a new subtype that includes the common traits (and I could make that they also count as tanar'ri and maybe baatezu for any purpose) and then write some new demons with that subtype. Is this what you meant?
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-06 at 02:21 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65

It will be a pleasure. Just one thing: I am just not sure about what do you mean by "race"... I suppose that every kind of demon (vrock, hezrou, dretch, etc) makes up a different race, much like humanoids have elves, dwarves, and so on. So maybe you're just requesting a couple of new monsters, all with a shared theme... In that case, I would go with a new subtype that includes the common traits (and I could make that they also count as tanar'ri and maybe baatezu for any purpose) and then write some new demons with that subtype. Is this what you meant?
    Sorry, no, I meant a sub-kind of tanar'ri, like, say, a vrock. Or maybe a template. I'd prefer if the monster didn't have baatezu traits, since it is a demon, not a devil (and certainly not a mix of the two). Feel free to make anything from a lawful babau to a lawful succubus if it's what you want, as long as it's a tanar'ri with the Lawful subtype instead of the Chaotic one (with a bit more than that, like unique 'lawful' powers).
    Last edited by Network; 2014-08-06 at 12:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, no, I meant a sub-kind of tanar'ri, like, say, a vrock. Or maybe a template. I'd prefer if the monster didn't have baatezu traits, since it is a demon, not a devil (and certainly not a mix of the two). Feel free to make anything from a lawful babau to a lawful succubus if it's what you want, as long as it's a tanar'ri with the Lawful subtype instead of the Chaotic one (with a bit more than that, like unique 'lawful' powers).
    Ok well I started working on this today. I already made a new subtype and two demons, and four other will be completed in a few days. One of the qualities of the new demons is that they count as tanar'ri for any purpose, so it's kinda like they are a new type of tanar'ri (they also count as baatezu as now but I'll change it no problem). If you don't like this and want regular tanar'ri instead, just give to each of them the abilities granted by the new subtype and stick with the old tanar'ri. Anyway, I'll post the template and the first bunch of new demons tomorrow (sadly I'm not at home now) so you can see if you like them and/or what modifications you want me to make; if the result does not come up with your expectations, then if you have patience I'll try something else ;) Have a nice day! (whatever time of the day is where you live)
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-06 at 02:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here we are as promised (sorry double post). I did not included the following entries in the compendium already because I plan to release them all at once when they are ready; I just spoiler you what I came up with until now so you can review.

So, the new demons are called gyzzrah. I didn't came up with the fluff yet but taking into account what you said it would be like this: during a devil raid the the Abyss, a bunch of demons has been captured and became slaves. Devils magically altered their physiology a bit cutting their telepathy and teleportation ability in order to prevent escaping. After centuries of slavery, though, they managed to revolt against their slavers, thanks to their leader Syndromai, which after this became famous as the Slave King. Gyzzrah managed to return in the Abyss but many years spent in the Nine Hells changed them from what they were before, making them more attuned to law than to chaos.

Hope you like the stuff ;) I don't know if they have enough "lawful" flavor but while I can easily depict common good and evil abilities in my head I find it more difficult with law and chaos... anyway, coming next are: a gyzzrah erudite caster with a little trunenaming flavor (CR 12), a gyzzrah specialized in hunting and killing tanar'ri (CR 16) and a big gyzzrah siege engine (CR 18).

Spoiler: Gyzzrah subtype and template
    Show
    Gzyrrah

Gzyrrah traits

Gzyrrah is a new demon subtype. Most gzyrrah possess the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

• Abyssal Lineage: For the purpose of any effect that would affect him, a gzyrrah is considered having the tanar'ri subtype.
    • Acid, cold and fire Resistance 10.
    • Darkvision 60 ft.
    • Disciplined (Ex): Willing or not, gyzzrah personality has been reshaped from chaotic and indisciplined to obedient and law-abiding by a long stay in the Nine Hells. The DC to change a gyzzrah's attitude through a Diplomacy check is increased by 4. Gyzzrah have a +4 racial bonus on saves against fear effects and mind-affecting abilities.
    • Immunity to electricity and poison.
    • Phantom Step (Su): Being deprived of teleportation, gzyrrah developed a different way to elude devil's monitoring. As a standard action, a gzyrrah can become ethereal, as per the Ethereal Jaunt spell, with the following exceptions: he can move at his normal speed, and can still be hit and damaged by sources that bypass his Regeneration ability. He can return to his normal state as a swift action.
    • Regeneration (Ex): Baatezu magically altered gzyrrah physiology during centuries, so they could constantly torture and oppress them without killing them. Chaotic-aligned weapons and spells or effects with the [Chaos] descriptor deal normal damage to a gzyrrah.
    • Unquenchable Grudge (Ex): All gzyrrah, from the dullest lackey to the Slave King himself, equally hate devils for what they did to them. A gzyrrah has the Favored Enemy (baatezu) ability of a Ranger with level equal to his HD.

Gyzzrah as a template
    Spoiler
    Show
    For those who want to apply gyzzrah fluff to regular demons.

“Gyzzrah” is a template that can be added to any outsider with the tanar'ri subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The base creature’s type remains unchanged. The gyzzrah uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Alignment
    A gyzzrah's alignment becomes lawful.

Special Qualities
    A gyzzrah loses Telepathy and any spell-like or supernatural ability that allows him to teleport that he possessed before taking the template. He may still regain those abilities later from other sources (class features, feats, etc.). He retains all the other special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.

• Disciplined (Ex): Willing or not, gyzzrah personality has been reshaped from chaotic and indisciplined to obedient and law-abiding by a long stay in the Nine Hells. The DC to change a gyzzrah's attitude through a Diplomacy check is increased by 4. Gyzzrah have a +4 racial bonus on saves against fear effects and mind-affecting abilities.
    • Phantom Step (Su): Being deprived of teleportation, gzyrrah developed a different way to elude devil's monitoring. As a standard action, a gzyrrah can become ethereal, as per the Ethereal Jaunt spell, with the following exceptions: he can move at his normal speed, and can still be hit and damaged by sources that bypass his Regeneration ability. He can return to his normal state as a swift action.
    • Regeneration (Ex): Baatezu magically altered gzyrrah physiology during centuries, so they could constantly torture and oppress them without killing them. Chaotic-aligned weapons and spells or effects with the [Chaos] descriptor deal normal damage to a gzyrrah.
    • Unquenchable Grudge (Ex): All gzyrrah, from the dullest lackey to the Slave King himself, equally hate devils for what they did to them. A gzyrrah has the Favored Enemy (baatezu) ability of a Ranger with level equal to his HD.

Subtypes
    A gyzzrah loses the [Chaotic] subtype and gains the [Lawful] subtype.

Challenge Rating
    The same of the base creature +1.

Spoiler: Extaron (CR 7)
    Show
    EXTARON

Extarons are gyzzrah who has been employed by devils for bloody arena fights, and sometimes used as low-grade soldiers against their former brothers in the blood war. Having survived centuries of battles, extarons are very quick, strong and devious, and represent a formidable threat.

Large outsider (evil, extraplanar, gzyrrah, lawful)

CR 7
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 84 (8d8 + 48)
    AC 21, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +1 buckler, +3 natural, +4 mithral chain shirt)
    Saves Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +6

Initiative +8
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Melee +1 silver spiked chain +13/+8 (2d6 + 5, plus trip)
    or
    Melee +1 silver longsword +13/+8 (2d6 + 5/19-20)
    Ranged +1 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +12/+7 (2d6 + 5/x3)
    BAB +7, Grapple +20
    Space 10 ft., Reach 10 ft.

Abilities Str 20, Dex 18, Con 23, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Feats Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Quick Draw
    Skills Bluff +17, Climb +16, Escape Artist +15, Intimidate +17, Jump +16, Listen +12, Ride +15, Spot +12, Swim +16, Tumble +15

Special Attacks Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities Battle Insight, Combat Training, Damage Reduction 10/Cold Iron or Good, gzyrrah traits, Regeneration 5, Ringmaster
    Possessions Buckler, mithral chain shirt, 30 silver arrows

Combat

Extarons have many aces up to their sleeves. They usually begin the combat buffing themselves with Blur and Bull's Strength. When possible, they prefere melee combat, using their spiked chain to trip opponents and switching to longsword when they need a free hand. Against flying opponents, they just draw their composite longbow and fire a storm of arrows.

Battle Insight (Ex): Extaron's natural cunning allow them to find out their enemies' weaknesses after seeing them in action for a few seconds. As a swift action an extaron can designate an opponent he is able to see. If the opponent remains within sight until the beginning of the next round, the extaron gains a +2 bonus to AC and saves against that creature's attacks, and when attacking that creature he gains a +2 on attack rolls and the critical range of his weapons doubles (this stacks with effects that provide similar benefits). The bonuses last until the end of the encounter.

Combat Training: Extraons are old-time warriors, trained for battle since their birth. They receive an amount of bonus [Fighter] feats equal to that of a fighter with level equal to half their racial HD. They must meet the prerequisites. An extaron qualifies for feats as if he had a number of figher levels equal to his racial HD.

Ringmaster (Ex): Extarons are accustomed to pit fighting, thus knowing all sort of dirty tricks to win the battle. An extaron gains a +4 bonus on Intimidate and Bluff checks, and can demoralize an opponent or feint in combat as a swift action. As a standard action, an extaron can make a special melee attack. If the attack hits, the opponent must make a CD 16 reflex save or be affected by one of the following conditions: blinded, sickened or staggered. The condition lasts for 1d6 rounds.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Guided Shot (SpC), Wraithstrike (SpC); 3/day - Blur, Bull's Strength, Infernal Wound (SpC). Caster level 7th.

Spoiler: Gromlak (CR 4)
    Show
    GROMLAK

In the gzyrrah hierarchy, gromlaks occupy the lowest grade. They have been (and still are) used as beasts of burden, their powerful muscels allowing them to lift impossible weights, and seldom as bodyguards. Being their intelligence very low, they always resolve disagreements with a good old beating.

Medium outsider (evil, extraplanar, gzyrrah, lawful)

CR 4
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 38 (4d8 + 20)
    AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 natural)
    Saves Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +4

Initiative +1
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Melee 2 Slams +10 (2d6 + 6)
    BAB +4, Grapple +14
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.

Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Feats Improved Natural Attack, Improved Toughness (LM)
    Skills Climb +13, Intimidate +6, Jump +13, Swim +13

Special Attacks Throw Anything
    Special Qualities Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Good, gzyrrah traits, Heap of Muscles, Powerful Build, Regeneration 5, Spiteful Rage

Combat

Gromlaks are very straightforward when in a fight: they usually just charge at the enemy that seems the weakest, punch him a bit, and then throw him against another enemy.

Heap of Muscles (Ex): Gromlaks are accustomed to lift and carry massive loads. A gromlak carrying capacity is equal to three times the normal amount allowed by his Strength score.

Powerful Build (Ex): As the Giant ability.

Spiteful Rage (Ex): Gromlaks aren't known for their cleverness, but they have a good memory. In particular, they remember every vexation withstanded during their slavery. Sometimes, a circumstance digs those grievous memories out and when it happens, the fury explodes. Every time a gromlak takes lethal damage, there is a 20% chance that he enters in a blood frenzy which has the same effects of the Rage ability of a 1st level barbarian. The frenzy lasts for 1 minute.

Throw Anything (Ex): This ability is similar to the Rock Throwing ability of giants, with the exception that a gromlak can throw anything instead of just rocks, included other creatures. He can throw creatures and objects up to small size with a range increment of 60 ft. A gromlak needs to succeed on a grapple check to throw an unwilling creature. Creatures and objects threw by a gromlak deal 2d6 damage + the gromlak's Strength modifier, either bludgeoning, piercing or slashing (depending on the nature of the thrown object). The thrown creature or object also takes the damage.

Spoiler: Hultzimar (CR 8)
    Show
    HULTZIMAR

Hultzimar are strange creatures. During slavery, their duty was to entertain the devil aristocracy, usually taking the role of a mad jester or a storyteller. They eventually developed mind-influencing abilities that helped gyzzrah a lot during the rebellion. Many say that hultzimar are the only gyzzrah that retained a spark of their original chaotic nature, and while this is true to all appearances, their personality is strictly devoted to order and law.

CR 8
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 45 (7d8 + 14)
    AC 20, touch 16, flat-footed 14 (+6 Dex, +4 natural)
    Saves Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +4

Initiative +6
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Melee Rainbow Rod (touch) +13 (various effects)
    Ranged Rainbow Rod (touch) +13 (various effects)
    BAB +7, Grapple +8
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.

Abilities Str 13, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 21
    Feats Combat Casting, Symphony of the Night*, Weapon Finesse
    Skills Balance + 17, Bluff +16, Concentration +13, Diplomacy +16, Disguise +16, Escape Artist + 16, Intimidate +15, Listen +11, Perform +16, Tumble + 17

Special Attacks Disturbing Fanfare, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities Collective Hallucination, Damage Reduction 10/Cold Iron or Good, gzyrrah traits, Regeneration 5

*New feat, described here.

Combat

Hultzimars are not good fighters, but have a wide array of spell-like abilities they use to bewilder their enemies. When out of tricks, a hultzimar simply fires a bolt from his rainbow rod and watches the result.

Collective Hallucination (Su): The presence of a hultzimar has a weird influence on creatures' mind. The area within 30 ft. from a hultzimar is permanently under the effect of a Hallucinatory Terrain spell (CD 18). An hultzimar can alter the changes provoked by this ability as a free action, within the spell's limits. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw cannot fall under the effect of this ability for the next 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Disturbing Fanfare: A hultzimar has the Bardic Music ability of a 7th level bard, except that he does not need an instrument.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Color Spray (CD 16), Ray of Stupidity (SpC), (CD 17), Silent Image (CD 16), Ventriloquism (CD 16); 3/day - Alter Self, Hideous Laughter (CD 17), Hypnotic Pattern (CD 17), Mirror Image, Suggestion (CD 18), Touch of Idiocy (CD 17); 1/day - Confusion (CD 19), Minor Creation, Shadow Conjuration (CD 19). Caster level 7th.

The hultzimar's rainbow rod

Every hultzimar carries one of these rods. A rainbow rod can be used to deliver a melee or ranged touch attack (range 60 ft.). A creature hit by this attack is subject to one of the following effects, chosen randomly. A rainbow rod has 20 charges when created, and consumes one each time it is used. When carried by a Hultzimar, a Rainbow Rod recovers 1 charge every minute. A rainbow rod's market price is 5,000 gp.

d8 Effect
    1 1d8 fire damage
    2 2d6 acid damage
    3 2d8 electricity damage
    4 Poison, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Strength (fortitude negates)
    5 Slowed, as the Slow spell, for 1d6 rounds (will negates)
    6 Confused, as the Confusion spell, for 1d6 rounds (will negates)
    7 Sent to another plane for 1d4 rounds. After that, the creature returns where she previously was (will negates)
    8 Subject to two effects; roll twice more, ignoring any "8" results
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-08 at 07:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Thanks, I love them. I can only wait for you to make the other three. I'd be particularly interested to see the truenaming one.

I still have a few comments to make on the above ones:
    * The gyzzrah template says the gyzzrah has all the special qualities of the base creature, but Phantom Step says they lose teleportation. Are they intended to lose teleportation and telepathy like the other gyzzrah or not?
    * The Extaron's combat training, as written, also applies to hit dies from class levels, which would mean that an extaron fighter has more feats than any fighter and qualifies for them twice as fast. I think the ability should only take into account racial hit dies, to prevent that kind of abuse.
    * The Gromlak's powerful build says it's the same as that of a redcap. This is not really helpful, since the redcap's powerful build is identical to the half-giant's, which is in the SRD. You could just copy the text from there, that'd be helpful.
    * No really anything to fix with the hultzimar, though I could see them having ulterior motives for their help in the rebellion.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, I love them.
    I'm glad. Feel free to make more suggestions if you like.

I'd be particularly interested to see the truenaming one.
    It will not actually use utterances (I mostly hate that subsystem) but I'll borrow some truenaming mechanics. I'm still a bit unsure on how to go with him, but I'll figure it out.

The gyzzrah template says the gyzzrah has all the special qualities of the base creature, but Phantom Step says they lose teleportation. Are they intended to lose teleportation and telepathy like the other gyzzrah or not?
    Yes they are. Fixed.

The Extaron's combat training, as written, also applies to hit dies from class levels, which would mean that an extaron fighter has more feats than any fighter and qualifies for them twice as fast. I think the ability should only take into account racial hit dies, to prevent that kind of abuse.
    Yea, that was an oversight, fixed now. Not that having twice as many the feats would make a fighter unbalanced...

The Gromlak's powerful build says it's the same as that of a redcap. This is not really helpful, since the redcap's powerful build is identical to the half-giant's, which is in the SRD. You could just copy the text from there, that'd be helpful.
    Well you're right, this simplify things. I'll also correct all the other powerful builds in the compendium, maybe tomorrow.

No really anything to fix with the hultzimar, though I could see them having ulterior motives for their help in the rebellion.
    Why not, fluff is still work in progress by now, I'll flesh it out more on the next days.
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-07 at 01:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

It will not actually use utterances (I mostly hate that subsystem) but I'll borrow some truenaming mechanics. I'm still a bit unsure on how to go with him, but I'll figure it out.
    That's understandable. Not many people like that subsystem. For the record there are ways to use truenaming that don't rely on utterance. For example, the brimstone speaker has class features that require truespeak checks to activate with a fixed DC. Unlike the bereft's class features, they don't count as utterances.
    Yea, that was an oversight, fixed now. Not that having twice as many the feats would make a fighter unbalanced...
    Forgot to mention something. You probably intended the bonus feats to be selected from the list of fighter bonus feats, but that isn't mentioned in the ability. You fixed the problem with feat requirements, but not the rate of feat gain. As written, an extaron wizard would gain 1 bonus feat every four levels and be able to select metamagic feats or the like with it. Probably an oversight.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Forgot to mention something. You probably intended the bonus feats to be selected from the list of fighter bonus feats, but that isn't mentioned in the ability. You fixed the problem with feat requirements, but not the rate of feat gain. As written, an extaron wizard would gain 1 bonus feat every four levels and be able to select metamagic feats or the like with it. Probably an oversight.
    Of course! Fixed, thank you.

Here we have two others gzyrrah ready to be PEACHed. Stenriex caused me the most trouble and I still do not know if they are balanced for their CR and/or if their litanies could be improved in some way (of course it could). Anyway hope you like them!

Spoiler: Stenriex (CD 12)
    Show
    STENRIEX

Stenriex are high-caste gzyrrah, and very intelligent creatures. During gzyrrah slavery, baatez used them as researchers, scientists, diplomats, and in general for any buisness that required a certain intellect and speech. For this reasons, stenriex had a little more freedom than their brothers. Unfortunately for devils, this ultimately turned into gyzzrah's advantage, since it led to the discovery of the litanies of power, a mighty and ancient source of magic that was fundamental in the gyzzrah rebellion. As a result of being one of the most important factors that allowed gyzzrah to free themselves, stenriex are now on the top of gyzzrah society, occupying the most eminent and influential positions.

CR 12
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 90 (12d8 + 36)
    AC 25, touch 14, flat-footed 21 (+4 Dex, +11 natural)
    Saves Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +13

Initiative +8
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
    Ranged +12/+7 Darkblast (6d6 + 7)
    BAB +12, Grapple +14
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.

Abilities Str 15, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 24, Wis 23, Cha 24
    Feats Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness (LM), Skill Focus (Speak Language), Spell Penetration, Spell Penetration (greater)
    Skills Bluff +22, Concentration +18, Decipher Script +22, Diplomacy +22, Intimidate +22, Knowledge (arcana) +22, Knowledge (geography) +22, Knowledge (history) +22, Knowledge (nature) +22, Knowledge (religion) +22, Knowledge (the planes) +22, Speak Language +25, Spellcraft +22, Use Magic Device +22

Special Attacks Darkblast, Eye of the Mind, Litanies of Power, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qualities Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Chaos, gzyrrah traits, Regeneration 5

Combat

Stenriex are very fragile and prefer to stay out of melee range, firing their powerful litanies from safety. They are a versatile threat and will adapt his strategy depending on the foes they are confronting. When possible, a stenriex will try to find a diplomatc solution to avoid a struggle.

Darkblast (Su): As a 12th level cabalist. If a stenriex takes levels in the cabalist class, those levels stack with his racial HD to determine Darkblast advancement.

Eye of the Mind (Su): Stenriex received enlightment thanks to their study, and can now perceive things as they really are. A stenriex is permanently under the effect of True Seeing, as the spell. He has a gaze attack that duplicates the effect of a Zone of Truth spell, applied individually to creatures that fail a CD 23 will save. Unlike the normal version of the spell, creatures subject to this effect are compelled to anwser any question the stenriex, and only him, asks to them. This is a mind-affecting ability. By concentrating his gaze towards a creature as a standard action, a stenriex may duplicate the effect of a Shatter Mind Blank power against that creature (will CD 23 negates).

Litanies of Power (Su): "Knowledge is power" is an old saying, and it is especially valid when talking about Stenriex. During the centuries of slavery spent on research, they found an ancient source of magic that goes back to time immemorable, which uses the power of an archaic language to shape reality. In order to use this power, a stenriex must recite a special formula, called litany, which must be written on a support, usually paper or a similar material. The support is immediately destroyed after the litany has been recited. To recite a litany takes up a standard action, due to the great effort required to speak in the old language. A litany cannot be recited inside an area wherein sound is impeded (for example, as a result of a Silence spell, or underwater), and requires the reciter the ability to speak loud. The range of a litany is 100 ft.
    Before reciting a litany, a creature must make a Speak Language check as a free action. If the result of the check is lower than 30, the litany has no effect, but the support is still destroyed. After a litany is succesfully recited, the creature is fatigued for 1d4 rounds. A creature cannot recite litanies if she is fatigued, exhausted, or immune to fatigue. When making the check, but before seeing the result, a creature may declare she wants to empower the litany. An empowered litany takes up a full-round action to be used and does not have the usual effect, instead provoking a more powerful one. The minumim result required in the Speak Language check of an empowered litany is 40, and after reciting an empowered litany (either with success or not), a creature is exhausted for 1d4 rounds. An exhausted creature or a creature immune to exhaustion cannot recite empowered litanies. Litanies are subject to Spell Resistance, and effects like Dispel Magic or antimagic fields interact with litanies as if they were spells. A stenriex has access to the following litanies (caster level 12th).

• Litany of Binding: Black tendrils wrap around the victim, impending her movemets. Target creature is pinned and cannot cast spells, spell-like abilities or activate magic items. She cannot use extraordinary or supernatural abilities that would allow her to teleport to another location, or have effects akin to the following spells: Dimension Door, Ethereal Jaunt, or Teleport. A succesful CD 30 Strength check or a CD 40 Escape Artist check allows the creature to free herself. Duration is permanent. Empowerment: The victim is trapped in a special demiplane where time is frozen. Target creature is under the effect of an Imprisonment spell.
    • Litany of Creation: The life force that permeates the universe is called and woven together to create new matter. This litany duplicates the effect of a True Creation spell (no XP cost required). Alternatively, this litany can summon a creature, as per the Summon Monster spell, except any creature with 8 or less HD can be summoned. Regardless of the choice, this effect lasts for 1d4 minutes. Empowerment: If this litany is used to create an object, it can also create magic items which market price is not greater than 50,000 gp. If used to summon a creature, 2d4 creatures are summoned instead. The creatures do not need to be the same.
    • Litany of Judgment: Righteous will be elevated, while unworthy will be punished. If target creature's alignment is lawful, she gains the benefits of a Heal spell and gains a +4 bonus on Strength, Dexterity and Constitution. She also gets under the effect of Haste, as the spell. This effect lasts for 1d4 minutes. Otherwise, the creature is blinded, deafened and nauseated and takes 1d4 damage to each ability score. Empowerment: The litany has the same effect of the normal version, but it affects every creature within 30 ft. from the reciter.
    • Litany of Shaping: This litany twists existing matter into new shapes. The target is affected by of the following: Baleful Polymorph, Disintegration, Fabricate or Polymorph, as the spells. Except for Disintegration and Fabricate, this effect lasts for 1d4 hours. Empowerment: the litany instead duplicates the effects of either Destruction or Polymorph Any Object, as the spells. For the latter, duration is 1d4 hours.
    • Litany of Stars: Makes the sky fall, bringing utter destruction. For 1d4 minutes, night falls in the area within 100 ft. from the reciter (this works as a Darkness spell). A meteor falls in a point designed by the reciter, dealing 12d6 damage, half bludgeoning, half fire, in a 15 ft. radius. Creatures damaged by the meteor must make a CD 23 reflex save or fall prone. The terrain within 15 ft. from the impact point becomes dense rubble. Empowerment: A myriad of meteors fall from the sky. Creatures within 100 ft. from the reciter take 6d6 damage per round, half bludgeoning, half fire, and every round the area within 100 ft. from the reciter gets under the effect of an Earthquake spell (DC 23). This lasts for 1d4 rounds. The meteor shower rises a cloud of dust, impeding vision. The area affected by the earthquake is under the effect of Obscuring Mist for 1d4 minutes, and the terrain becomes dense rubble.

A stenriex usually begins combat with 1d4 written scroll fragments for every litany he knows.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Arcane Sight, Nondetection, Sending; 3/day - Analyze Dweomer, Contact Other Plane, Dismissal (CD 22), Dispel Magic (greater) (CD 23), Telepathic Bond; 1/day - Repulsion. Caster level 12th.

Spoiler: Skaruntiel (CD 16)
    Show

SKARUNTIEL

Skaruntiel are elite warriors, trained to find and kill demons of the abyss. After captivating the tanar'ri who later became gzyrrah, devils' bitter sense of humor suggested to employ some of them in killing their former brothers. Skaruntiels were extensively used in the blood war until the rebellion, and now they are often generals that lead the gzyrrah troops to battle.

Large outsider (evil, extraplanar, gzyrrah, lawful)

CR 16
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 195 (17d8 + 136)
    AC 34, touch 16, flat-footed 28 (-1 size, +6 Dex, +19 natural)
    Saves Fort +16, Ref +15, Will +12

Initiative +10
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)
    Melee +5 axiomatic morningstar +31 (2d8 + 15 + 2d6 against chaotic creatures),
    +2 axiomatic keen wounding scimitar +28 (2d6 + 12 + 2d6 against chaotic creatures/15-20),
    and 2 wings +21 (2d6 + 5)
    BAB +17, Grapple +29

Abilities Str 30, Dex 22, Con 25, Int 19, Wis 17, Cha 23
    Feats Darkstalker (LoM), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (morningstar), Improved natural Attack (sickle), Improved Toughness (LM), Quicken Spell-like Ability (Dispel Magic)
    Skills Climb +30, Concentration +27, Gather Information 26, Hide +26, Intimidate +26, Jump +30, Knowledge (the planes) +24, Listen +23, Move Silently +26, Spot +23, Swim +30

Special Attacks Demonbane, Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities Aura of Inevitability, Damage Reduction 15/Cold Iron and Chaos, Fiend Sense, gzyrrah traits, Regeneration 10, See Invisibility, Spell Resistance 28

Combat

Skaruntiel love melee combat and will confront their enemies directly, confident of their strength. They rapidly get rid of casters with a quickened Dispel Magic and proceed mauling the weakest opponent with their powerful weapons or Disintegration, preserving Destruction and Transformation to reverse the situation if things go wrong.

Aura of Inevitability (Su): For most creatures, a skaruntiel represents one of the worst nightmares: when one of them stalks a prey, she knows there is no escape from her fate. The area within 100 ft. from a skaruntiel is under the effect Dimensional Lock, as the spell. Ethereal creatures in the area immediately revert to their physical form, if they have any. In addition, creatures the area are prevented from communicating through magical means: effects such as Sending, Commune, Contact Other Plane and the like cannot be activated inside the area.

Demonbane (Su): Skaruntiel are formidable warriors, but they really stand out when confronting demons. Every skaruntiel has two weapons, a +5 axiomatic morningstar and a +2 axiomatic keen wounding scimitar, both fused into their arms. Those weapons are treated as natural weapons, and both of them are considered primary weapons. A skaruntiel can make a full attack as a standard action using his natural weapons. In addition, when striking a chaotic evil outsider, a skaruntiel's natural weapons ignore that creature's Damage Reduction and are considered having the Dread property against that creature, even if this would not normally be allowed for non-epic weapons. If that creature has Regeneration, a skaruntiel's natural weapons deal normal damage to her.

Fiend Sense (Ex): Skaruntiel are very adept at tracking demons. A skaruntiel can pinpoint the exact location of any chaotic evil outsider within 100 ft. from him. He can see the true form of any chaotic evil outsider, as per the True Seeing spell, and ignores any concealment that creature might possess.

See Invisibility (Su): Permanent, as the spell.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Bestow Curse (CD 20), Blade Barrier (CD 22), Demon Dirge (SpC) (CD 19), Disintegration (CD 22), Dispel Magic, Energy Immunity (SpC), Locate Creature, Slay Living (CD 21), Wall of Force; 3/day - Antimagic Ray (SpC) (CD 23), Destruction (CD 23), Dictum (CD 23), Plane Shift, Scrying (greater), Transformation. Caster level 17th.
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-09 at 06:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I finally decided that we need more devils. Haven't you noticed that in almost any given sourcebook with fiends, there are more Demons than there are Devils? I think it's time to change that for the better. Here are my ideas:

-Slaver Devil

-Demonkiller Devil

-Corrupter Devil (you know, for real this time)

-Soul-Selling Devil

-Diplomat Devil (not an oxymoron, there are plenty of LN outsiders that have things the Devils want)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Throughout the Compendium you have CD used for DC for checks and saves. Unless you are abbreviating for Complete Divine, you might want to revise this. I admit I am not a fan of the statistic block you use. It's woefully incomplete when you compare it to the format used in the Online SRD. http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm and just click on any sample monster. The Demon Lords seem a bit underpowered for their Challenge Rating.

Thus far, my favorite demon lord has to be Marzurg.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-08-10 at 07:07 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I finally decided that we need more devils. Haven't you noticed that in almost any given sourcebook with fiends, there are more Demons than there are Devils? I think it's time to change that for the better. Here are my ideas:

-Slaver Devil

-Demonkiller Devil

-Soul-Selling Devil

-Diplomat Devil (not an oxymoron, there are plenty of LN outsiders that have things the Devils want)
    Although this compendium is about the abyss and not baator, there is surely room for new devil stuff, especially regarding Avernus, the highest layer of Baator which is deeply involved in the blood war. It is not my priority but I will surely fulfill your request given the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    snip
    You know, since you are one of the most experienced monster reviewers here, I could hardly wait your appearance :D

Throughout the Compendium you have CD used for DC for checks and saves. Unless you are abbreviating for Complete Divine, you might want to revise this.
    Yes it's because in my native language it is said CD instead of DC. Sometimes it slips my mind and I make that mistake. There are many other mistakes in the compendium, I'll correct everything given enough time. Thanks for pointing it out.

I admit I am not a fan of the statistic block you use. It's woefully incomplete when you compare it to the format used in the Online SRD.
    I borrowed the stat block used in Fiendish Codex, Elder Evils and a few other handbooks, because I find it more concise and I overall like it better than the one frm SRD. I honestly do not get how should it be incomplete. I intentionally not included things like organization, environment, treasure etc. because I think every DM can easily fill those spaces with eveything is best suited for his campagin. Now that you made me think about it, though, I could add advancement and level adjustment. I skipped them for demon lords cause they are not meant to be advanced or used by players but could be useful for the non-epic monsters I'm making.

The Demon Lords seem a bit underpowered for their Challenge Rating.
    Unfortunately, challenge rating is always the toughest part. Do you think this is valid for every demon lord in this thread, or only for some of them? I wouldn't mind lowering their CR by 1 or 2; in fact, I would really like to. Do you think it would work? Another thing: I'd like to add some spell-like abilities to my demon lord, since I recently found they are awfully lacking by that side. Would this increase their CR too much?

Thus far, my favorite demon lord has to be Marzurg.
    I am glad you like her.

Thanks for the insight, it is very useful. As always, suggestions are really appreciated if you have any.

Now, here we have the hellnaut ,a gigantic undead siege engine made of body parts of dead gyzzrah. This is the last gyzzrah (not taking into account Syndromai, their king, which will soon make his appearance as a demon lord) and once they are all reveiwed by the requester, I'll add them to the compendium. Hope you like it.

Spoiler: Hellnaut (CR 18)
    Show
    HELLNAUT

Hellnaught are immense war machines created by baatezu necromancers and stenriex from the corpses of other gzyrrah. Much like golems, they follow the orders of their creator. Hellnauts make very powerful siege engines, given their ability to raze an entire city in a few minutes.

IMAGE PENDING

Gargantuan undead (evil, extraplanar, gzyrrah, lawful)

CR 18
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 260 (40d12)
    AC 38, touch 24, flat-footed 38 (-4 size, +14 deflection, +18 natural)
    Saves Fort -, Ref +13, Will +22

Initiative +0
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Melee 4 slams +30 (2d8 + 14 + 4d6 untyped)
    Ranged Annihilating Beam +20 (20d6)
    BAB +20, Grapple +46
    Space 20 ft., Reach 20 ft.

Abilities Str 39, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Feats -
    Skills -

Special Attacks Annihilating Beam, Shatterward, Telluric Shock
    Special Qualities Damage Reduction 15/Adamantine and Chaos, gzyrrah traits, Protective Field, Regeneration 10

Combat

Hellnauts are mindless beings created only for the purpose of destroying everything. That said, they do not waste time thinking up to a strategy. They simply attack every enemy they see, firing their beams to out of reach opponents and crushing the earth when they found themselves outnumbered.

Annihilating Beam (Su): Hellnauts can project a powerful high-density stream of magical particles to obliterate enemies. This is a ranged touch attack with a range of 100 ft. that deals 20d6 damage. Creatures within 5 ft. from the target also take the damage, but are entitled a CD 30 reflex save to halve the damage. Creatures reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this attack are entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. Against objects, this attack has the same effects of a Disintegration spell (caster level 20).

Protective Field (Ex): A hellnaut is equipped with a strong shiled that protects it from most attacks. This works as the spell Spell Turning, except it can also affect ranged touch spells, and it simply negates spells instead of reflecting them back to the caster. The number of spell levels a hellnaut can negate is equal to his Strength modifier (14). In addition, a Hellnaut has a number of temporary HP equal to four times his Strength modifier (56). At the beginning of every round, a hellnaut recovers 1d4 lost spell levels and 1d4 * 4 lost temporary HP. Their value can never exceed the initial value.

Shatterward (Su): When a hellnaut comes to destroy, no barrier will help. A hellnaut's natural attack ingore any deflection bonus to AC, as well as any other bonus provided by [Force] effects (such as a Force Screen power or a Mage Armor spell). A hellnaut can immediately dispel any object made of ectoplasm or force (for example, an Astral Construct, or a Wall of Force) just by touching it. Whenever a hellnaut succesfully strikes a creature or object with his natural attacks, the creature or object gets under the effect of a targeted Dispel Magic (greater) spell (caster level 20th).

Telluric Shock (Ex): Hellnauts' limbs constantly generate a vibration that cracks the earth and crushes buildings like they were made of paper. A hellnaut deals an additional 4d6 untyped damage with every succesful attack. This damage ignores any Hardness and Damage Reduction based on material, and is tripled against objects. As a full-round action, a hellnaut can slam the ground, causing the earth to split and tremble: the area within 50 ft. from the hellnaut is under the effect of an Earthquake spell (CD 30), and creatures in the area take 10d8 piercing and bludgeoning damage from the earth reaving (reflex CD 30 halves). After that, a hellnaut cannot use this ability again for the next 1d4 rounds.
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-10 at 10:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Comments on the gzyrrah:
    You didn't mention how long it takes for limbs to regenerate.
    Before reciting a litany, a creature must make a Speak Language check as a free action. If the result of the check is lower than 30, the litany has no effect, but the support is still destroyed. After a litany is succesfully recited, the creature is fatigued for 1d4 rounds. A creature cannot recite litanies if she is fatigued, exhausted, or immune to fatigue. When making the check, but before seeing the result, a creature may declare she wants to empower the litany. An empowered litany takes up a full-round action to be used and does not have the usual effect, instead provoking a more powerful one. The minumim result required in the Speak Language check of an empowered litany is 40, and after reciting an empowered litany (either with success or not), a creature is exhausted for 1d4 rounds. An exhausted creature or a creature immune to exhaustion cannot recite empowered litanies. Litanies are subject to Spell Resistance, and effects like Dispel Magic or antimagic fields interact with litanies as if they were spells. A stenriex has access to the following litanies (caster level 12th).
    Using Speak Language checks for the ability is inelegant, since that skill is explicitely noted as not needing any check. You could replace it with Decipher Script, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device or the like (I think Decipher Script is the most appropriate one, though). Also, the text for empowered litanies implies that a stenriex could cast a regular litany, then while still fatigued an empowered litany (since noting prevents him from casting an empowered litany when simply fatigued), but for some reason not the other way around.
    Aura of Inevitability (Su): For most creatures, a skaruntiel represents one of the worst nightmares: when one of them stalks a prey, she knows there is no escape from her fate. The area within 100 ft. from a skaruntiel is under the effect Dimensional Lock, as the spell. Ethereal creatures in the area immediately revert to their physical form, if they have any. In addition, creatures the area are prevented from communicating through magical means: effects such as Sending, Commune, Contact Other Plane and the like cannot be activated inside the area.
    Can they deactivate this ability? If not, they are more or less prevented from using their own Ethereal Jaunt ability.
    Demonbane (Su): Skaruntiel are formidable warriors, but they really stand out when confronting demons. Every skaruntiel has two weapons, a +5 axiomatic morningstar and a +2 axiomatic keen wounding scimitar, both fused into their arms. Those weapons are treated as natural weapons, and both of them are considered primary weapons. A skaruntiel can make a full attack as a standard action using his natural weapons. In addition, when striking a chaotic evil outsider, a skaruntiel's natural weapons ignore that creature's Damage Reduction and are considered having the Dread property against that creature, even if this would not normally be allowed for non-epic weapons. If that creature has Regeneration, a skaruntiel's natural weapons deal normal damage to her.
    Fortunately demon PCs are rare, because this ability would cause regular TPK otherwise. Aside from this, I think it's good and thematical.
    Spell-like Abilities: At will - Bestow Curse (CD 20), Blade Barrier (CD 22), Demon Dirge (SpC) (CD 19), Disintegration (CD 22), Dispel Magic, Energy Immunity (SpC), Locate Creature, Slay Living (CD 21), Wall of Force; 3/day - Antimagic Ray (SpC) (CD 23), Destruction (CD 23), Dictum (CD 23), Plane Shift, Scrying (greater), Transformation. Caster level 17th.[/SPOILER]
    Transformation should be Tenser's Transformation (the first part was removed in the SRD for legislative reasons), but the rest of the list is good.
    Spoiler: Hellnaut (CR 18)
    Show
    HELLNAUT

Hellnaught are immense war machines created by baatezu necromancers and stenriex from the corpses of other gzyrrah. Much like golems, they follow the orders of their creator. Hellnauts make very powerful siege engines, given their ability to raze an entire city in a few minutes.

IMAGE PENDING

Gargantuan undead (evil, extraplanar, gzyrrah, lawful)

CR 18
    Aligment Lawful Evil

HP 260 (40d12)
    AC 38, touch 24, flat-footed 38 (-4 size, +14 deflection, +18 natural)
    Saves Fort -, Ref +13, Will +22

Initiative +0
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Melee 4 slams +30 (2d8 + 14 + 4d6 untyped)
    Ranged Annihilating Beam +20 (20d6)
    BAB +20, Grapple +46
    Space 20 ft., Reach 20 ft.

Abilities Str 39, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Feats -
    Skills -

Special Attacks Annihilating Beam, Shatterward, Telluric Shock
    Special Qualities Damage Reduction 15/Adamantine and Chaos, gzyrrah traits, Protective Field, Regeneration 10

Combat

Hellnauts are mindless beings created only for the purpose of destroying everything. That said, they do not waste time thinking up to a strategy. They simply attack every enemy they see, firing their beams to out of reach opponents and crushing the earth when they found themselves outnumbered.

Annihilating Beam (Su): Hellnauts can project a powerful high-density stream of magical particles to obliterate enemies. This is a ranged touch attack with a range of 100 ft. that deals 20d6 damage. Creatures within 5 ft. from the target also take the damage, but are entitled a CD 30 reflex save to halve the damage. Creatures reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this attack are entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. Against objects, this attack has the same effects of a Disintegration spell (caster level 20).

Protective Field (Ex): A hellnaut is equipped with a strong shiled that protects it from most attacks. This works as the spell Spell Turning, except it can also affect ranged touch spells, and it simply negates spells instead of reflecting them back to the caster. The number of spell levels a hellnaut can negate is equal to his Strength modifier (14). In addition, a Hellnaut has a number of temporary HP equal to four times his Strength modifier (56). At the beginning of every round, a hellnaut recovers 1d4 lost spell levels and 1d4 * 4 lost temporary HP. Their value can never exceed the initial value.

Shatterward (Su): When a hellnaut comes to destroy, no barrier will help. A hellnaut's natural attack ingore any deflection bonus to AC, as well as any other bonus provided by [Force] effects (such as a Force Screen power or a Mage Armor spell). A hellnaut can immediately dispel any object made of ectoplasm or force (for example, an Astral Construct, or a Wall of Force) just by touching it. Whenever a hellnaut succesfully strikes a creature or object with his natural attacks, the creature or object gets under the effect of a targeted Dispel Magic (greater) spell (caster level 20th).

Telluric Shock (Ex): Hellnauts' limbs constantly generate a vibration that cracks the earth and crushes buildings like they were made of paper. A hellnaut deals an additional 4d6 untyped damage with every succesful attack. This damage ignores any Hardness and Damage Reduction based on material, and is tripled against objects. As a full-round action, a hellnaut can slam the ground, causing the earth to split and tremble: the area within 50 ft. from the hellnaut is under the effect of an Earthquake spell (CD 30), and creatures in the area take 10d8 piercing and bludgeoning damage from the earth reaving (reflex CD 30 halves). After that, a hellnaut cannot use this ability again for the next 1d4 rounds.
    Many comments on this one. First, since it has no Intelligence score, it should have the Mindless special quality. Disintegration at will from Annihilating Beam may be a bit too much for their CR : I suggest to put a limit of 3 uses per day. Since the Protective Field ability gives them a lot of temporary hit points continuously, you could put these hit points as a note on the HD line (something like "HP 260 (40d12); plus 56 temporary hit points from Protective Field special quality"). Finally, I feel like the untyped damage from Telluric Shock oughts to be sonic damage instead, since it is caused by vibration after all. Sonic damage is the closest D&D approximation of vibration damage, and many effects that deal that type of damage have nothing to do with sound.

I like the fact that the hellnaut is an undead instead of an outsider, even though it also has many things in common with constructs. However, this is kinda weird that they are one of the only two undead to retain regeneration despite having no Constitution score (the other, the atropal, has the excuse of being the spawn of a god). I feel like you could replace it with fast healing, or even a special form of fast healing that doesn't allow recovery of chaotic damage.

Comments on devils:
    -Demonkiller Devil
    Ever heard of the orthon? It's a devil that specializes in killing demons, found in FCII.
    Harvester devil? I don't see how they are not "real" corrupter devils, since they are ripoffs of the Devil from folkloric legends about selling your soul. They're also from FCII.
    This role is generally assumed to be part of the erinye's duty, expecially if you have read FCII.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

You didn't mention how long it takes for limbs to regenerate.
    I based it on the Pit Fiend's Regeneration, which does not say that. Trolls Regeneration does that, though. I guess 2d4 minutes is fair, I'll add it.

Using Speak Language checks for the ability is inelegant, since that skill is explicitely noted as not needing any check. You could replace it with Decipher Script, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device or the like (I think Decipher Script is the most appropriate one, though).
    You are right. Decipher Script is ok then, I was uncertain between the two in the first place, so it's ok.

Also, the text for empowered litanies implies that a stenriex could cast a regular litany, then while still fatigued an empowered litany (since noting prevents him from casting an empowered litany when simply fatigued), but for some reason not the other way around.
    I assumed that an exhausted creature also counted as fatigued for the purpose of that ability. Much like a frightened creature could also count as shaken... well I see this could lead to some misunderstandings. I'll clarify that.

Can they deactivate this ability? If not, they are more or less prevented from using their own Ethereal Jaunt ability.
    Yea, very stupid. I'll make that they are immune to their own aura of inevitabilty.

Fortunately demon PCs are rare, because this ability would cause regular TPK otherwise. Aside from this, I think it's good and thematical.
    Yes that was my exact thought :D thing is, I like NPC fighting between them during player encounters in my campaings so I also like monsters to have abilities they will most never use on PCs.

Transformation should be Tenser's Transformation (the first part was removed in the SRD for legislative reasons), but the rest of the list is good.
    I know. Should I clarify? I thought people who do not possess the old player's handbook may be mislead if i wrote the original name.

First, since it has no Intelligence score, it should have the Mindless special quality.
    I don't find that special quality on SRD, although I can see what you are pointing by looking at the construct traits. I thought having no Intelligence score would be sufficient, but I can clarify.

Disintegration at will from Annihilating Beam may be a bit too much for their CR : I suggest to put a limit of 3 uses per day.
    Disintegration is only against objects, so I don't think it is too OP since what they are meant to do is obliterate buildings all day. Do you think the base damage against creatures is too high? I can lower it, or put a cooldown, or both.

Since the Protective Field ability gives them a lot of temporary hit points continuously, you could put these hit points as a note on the HD line (something like "HP 260 (40d12); plus 56 temporary hit points from Protective Field special quality")
    Good idea, will do.

Finally, I feel like the untyped damage from Telluric Shock oughts to be sonic damage instead, since it is caused by vibration after all. Sonic damage is the closest D&D approximation of vibration damage, and many effects that deal that type of damage have nothing to do with sound.
    Why not, sonic damage needs some love after all.

I like the fact that the hellnaut is an undead instead of an outsider, even though it also has many things in common with constructs. However, this is kinda weird that they are one of the only two undead to retain regeneration despite having no Constitution score (the other, the atropal, has the excuse of being the spawn of a god). I feel like you could replace it with fast healing, or even a special form of fast healing that doesn't allow recovery of chaotic damage.
    Well i designed the hellnaught as a sort of undead golem, so yeah, it shares a lot of traits with constructs. I put regeneration cause after all they are made by gyzzrah body parts, which even in death retain their special qualities. I'll think about it.

I will do the changes tomorrow since I must go now. Thanks for the tons of useful advice!
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-10 at 12:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

I assumed that an exhausted creature also counted as fatigued for the purpose of that ability. Much like a frightened creature could also count as shaken... well I see this could lead to some misunderstandings. I'll clarify that.
    Sorry, I meant that regular litanies require the character to not be fatigued or exhausted, and make them fatigued. Empowered litanies require the character to not be exhausted, but as written they can still be used when you are simply fatigued. You only have to change the latter part, saying that a character cannot use an empowered litanie when fatigued or exhausted.
    I know. Should I clarify? I thought people who do not possess the old player's handbook may be mislead if i wrote the original name.
    I think it is unlikely, but using either name is mostly a question of preference, anyway.
    I don't find that special quality on SRD, although I can see what you are pointing by looking at the construct traits. I thought having no Intelligence score would be sufficient, but I can clarify.
    Mindless is listed as a special quality in the lemure statblock (see here), though for some reasons constructs, undead and vermins from the SRD don't have it listed, even when they don't have an Intelligence score either. I guess it is because their type already gives them immunity to mind-affecting effects.
    Disintegration is only against objects, so I don't think it is too OP since what they are meant to do is obliterate buildings all day. Do you think the base damage against creatures is too high? I can lower it, or put a cooldown, or both.
    I was mostly worried about the damage against creatures, indeed. 18th-level characters won't last long against an opponent that spams an attack that deals 20d6 points de damage. I suppose putting a cooldown could work, since the ray is about as powerful as a dragon's breath weapon (which has a cooldown). Using dragons as a reference, annihilating beam should be useable once every 1d4 rounds, which would let them blast buildings all day without it being the only attack they'll ever need.
    Last edited by Network; 2014-08-10 at 12:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Although this compendium is about the abyss and not baator, there is surely room for new devil stuff, especially regarding Avernus, the highest layer of Baator which is deeply involved in the blood war. It is not my priority but I will surely fulfill your request given the time.
    Yeah, I was suspecting that, but some new devils would still be nice.

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Is there a saving throw against the Stenriex's litanies? If not then they are way overpowered. It goes without saying that you are putting these abilities into the hands of any PC with a planar ally spell.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, I meant that regular litanies require the character to not be fatigued or exhausted, and make them fatigued. Empowered litanies require the character to not be exhausted, but as written they can still be used when you are simply fatigued. You only have to change the latter part, saying that a character cannot use an empowered litanie when fatigued or exhausted.
    Oh ok, I see now. Will fix.

Mindless is listed as a special quality in the lemure statblock (see here), though for some reasons constructs, undead and vermins from the SRD don't have it listed, even when they don't have an Intelligence score either. I guess it is because their type already gives them immunity to mind-affecting effects.
    I'll add the mindless quality then, no problem.

I was mostly worried about the damage against creatures, indeed. 18th-level characters won't last long against an opponent that spams an attack that deals 20d6 points de damage. I suppose putting a cooldown could work, since the ray is about as powerful as a dragon's breath weapon (which has a cooldown). Using dragons as a reference, annihilating beam should be useable once every 1d4 rounds, which would let them blast buildings all day without it being the only attack they'll ever need.
    Yeah ok, cooldown is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Is there a saving throw against the Stenriex's litanies? If not then they are way overpowered. It goes without saying that you are putting these abilities into the hands of any PC with a planar ally spell.
    They do not allow a saving throw, yes, this is intentional. That is why I was so concerned about balance in the first place... I wanted to go with something new with them, but admittedly I might just have overdone that, especially because advanced stenriex could become really powerful since the check requirement does not increase with HD while the skill bonus does. Now, to fix this, I am thinking to add a mechanic similar to truenaming, based on the enemy's HD instead of allowing a saving throw... for example, that the Decipher Script check must be at least equal to 10 + twice the target creature's HD for a litany to work. Apart from this, should I nerf litanies? Are their effects too strong?

EDIT: Updated the compendium with the new monsters. Changelog:

V. 2.02 (08/11/2014)
    • Monsters
      • Introduced the gyzzrah subtype, with six new monsters
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-11 at 05:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Demon Lords are listed as having an ability called "Demigod" but you note none of the abilities that go with it other than the ability to grant spells from 2 domains.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-08-11 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added & clarified text
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Demon Lords are listed as Demigods but you didn't give them Divine Rank and they're missing the abilities that go with it.
    My bad, the nyurvata template was called "demigod" in earlier versions and apparently when I changed the name I forgot to update demon lords' description. They are not meant to have divine rank. Good catch, fixed now. I also lowered the CR of each demon lord by 1 (except Nephram, who I think is good where he is). Do you think it's enough or other changes are needed?

Also, I feel the urge to rework the classes because i feel they have some overcomplicated mechanics and are really not D&D-esque... especially prestige classes. Expect an update soon.
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-11 at 06:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Yeah I knew there was something off. All 3 abilities from the template should be added to each demon lord with the template and they need a 3rd domain. I was editing my text when you posted.

Debby

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I knew there was something off. All 3 abilities from the template should be added to each demon lord with the template and they need a 3rd domain. I was editing my text when you posted.
    Ok done, I also added the special qualities granted by tanar'ri traits and updated gyzzrah stat blocks as well. Demon lords still lack the Summon ability; I'll add it soon, along with some spell-like abilities.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

They do not allow a saving throw, yes, this is intentional. That is why I was so concerned about balance in the first place... I wanted to go with something new with them, but admittedly I might just have overdone that, especially because advanced stenriex could become really powerful since the check requirement does not increase with HD while the skill bonus does. Now, to fix this, I am thinking to add a mechanic similar to truenaming, based on the enemy's HD instead of allowing a saving throw... for example, that the Decipher Script check must be at least equal to 10 + twice the target creature's HD for a litany to work.
    That could work but I'm not a fan of mechanics based on HD. It doesn't really correspond to anything in the game world such as mental or physical toughness; it penalizes PCs with LAs who tend to be weak already; it ignores the defenses of those characters who invest a lot of their options in getting high saving throws. Maybe if you also allow a saving throw it's OK.

Apart from this, should I nerf litanies? Are their effects too strong?
    I would say so. In particular: Imprisonment is not something 12th level PCs would have a chance of reversing; it can be worse than just killing the character. Also, nauseating the whole party (especially with no saving throw) for 1d4 minutes is just game over; they are as good as helpless as that point. Obviously, the Decipher Script check is not an answer to that since it's just one die roll: if it succeeds, it still works on the whole party if they are within range. With saving throws, it might be OK. Even with saving throws, the litanies are impressively powerful.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    That could work but I'm not a fan of mechanics based on HD. It doesn't really correspond to anything in the game world such as mental or physical toughness; it penalizes PCs with LAs who tend to be weak already; it ignores the defenses of those characters who invest a lot of their options in getting high saving throws. Maybe if you also allow a saving throw it's OK.

I would say so. In particular: Imprisonment is not something 12th level PCs would have a chance of reversing; it can be worse than just killing the character. Also, nauseating the whole party (especially with no saving throw) for 1d4 minutes is just game over; they are as good as helpless as that point. Obviously, the Decipher Script check is not an answer to that since it's just one die roll: if it succeeds, it still works on the whole party if they are within range. With saving throws, it might be OK. Even with saving throws, the litanies are impressively powerful.
    Ok I modified stenriex' Litanies using your suggestions, hopefully they are more balanced now. Thank you.

2.03 update live! Classes has been reworked, one the most important changes being the addition of per-day spells instead of at will spell-like abilities. I much as I do not like per-day casting as a mechanic, I must admit that D&D spells are clearly not designed to be used at will... also, prestige classes are now open to a much wider array of characters.

V. 2.03 (08/15/2014)
    • General
      • Reworked base classes (a little) and prestige classes (much more) to give them a stronger classic D&D feel, improve playability, and increase balance
      • (Hopefully) fixed all CD/DC typos
    • Monsters
      • Added krum
      • Nerfed stenriex' Litanies of Power
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-15 at 10:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

1. Some of you Demon Lords, although awesome, seem more NE than CE. Maybe they could be demigods that reside in the abyss instead?

2. Aquatic Demons are awesome. Make more please.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. Some of you Demon Lords, although awesome, seem more NE than CE. Maybe they could be demigods that reside in the abyss instead?
    Do you think so? Thing is, the difference between a demon lord and a demigod that lives in the abyss is very, very subtle (to me at least). Also remember that some demon lords (Elimdal, Marzurg, Vergron) became demons using the Mark of the Abyss feat, which inevitably shifted their alignment towards chaos, regardless of their original attitude. That said, you could be right... to which demon lords are you referring in particular?

2. Aquatic Demons are awesome. Make more please.
    I agree. Since I'll keep making monsters for now, expect new aquatic demons very soon ;)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok I present you 3 new demons, as always, ready to be PEACHed before they're added to the compendium. Two of them are acquatic demons (as requested by ..., hope you like them!), while the other is a sort of ice-themed counterpart of the balor.

Spoiler: Iltichnya (CR 9)
    Show
    ILTICHNYA

Iltichnya are cunning predators, often found in the oceanic depths of the Abyss. They spend the majority of the time hunting everything that moves, which they torture with immense pleasure before devouring it.

Medium outsider (aquatic, chaotic, evil, extraplanar, tanar'ri)

CR 9
    Aligment Chaotic Evil

HP 95 (10d8 + 50)
    AC 24, touch 15, flat-footed 19 (+5 Dex, +9 natural)
    Saves Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +10

Initiative +9
    Speed swim 40 ft.
    Melee Bite +15 (1d8 + 6 + poison) and 2 claws +13 (1d6 + 3)
    BAB +9, Grapple +15
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.

Abilities Str 23, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 16
    Feats Darkstalker (LoM), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack (claw)
    Skills Hide +18, Concentration +18, Intimidate +16, Listen +16, Move Silently +18, Search +15, Spot +16, Swim +27, Survival +16

Special Attacks Bewildering Song, Poison, Spell-like Abilities, Summon, Tentacles
    Special Qualities Blindsight 100 ft., Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Good, Immunity to electricity and poison, Permanent Invisibility, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, Telepathy 100 ft.

Advancement 11-20 HD (Medium); 21-40 HD (Large)

Combat

Iltichnya carefully study their opponents before attacking. They usually sneak unnoticed thanks to their invisibility, then grab an enemy with their tentacles and weaken him with poison before fleeing somewhere to safely consume the meal. If needed, they use the Bewildering Song ability to help the escape.

Bewildering Song (Su): Iltichnya can emit a bewitching tune that distracts their foes while they flee. As a swift action, an iltichnya activates a 30 ft. emanation centered on him. Creatures in the emanation must succeed on a DC 18 will save or be fascinated as long as they stay within the emanation, and for 1d6 rounds after. Creatures that succeed on the save are immune to this ability for the next 24 hours. An iltichnya can suppress this ability as a free action. this is a sonic, mind-affecting ability.

Permanent Invisibility (Su): Iltichnya can perfectly meld with the surrounding water, becoming nearly undetectable. While underwater, an iltichnya is permanently under the effect of Invisibility, as the spell. If he breaks the effect (for example, by attacking a creature), he becomes invisible again at the beginning of his next round. Creatures grappling with an iltichnya become invisible as well.

Poison (Ex): Injury, fortitude DC 19, initial damage 1d4 Str and Dex, secondary damage paralysis.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - Poison (DC 16), Pressure Sphere (SW) (DC 15), Stinking Cloud (DC 16); 1/day - Freedom of Movement, Scales of the Sealord (SW), Thalassemia (SW) (DC 17). Caster level 10th.

Tentacles (Ex): Iltichnya possess several tentacles that, while not suited for dealing damage, are really useful for snatching foes. Once per round as a free action, an iltichnya can start a grapple with an adjacent foe, without provoking an opportunity attack. He has a +4 racial bonus on this check. The tentacles secrete a strange substance, very sticky, that makes escaping very difficult to grappled opponents. Creatures grappling with a iltichnya do not gain the benefits of spell and effects that would make them automatically succeed on a grapple check, such as a Freedom of Movement spell.

Summon (Sp): Once per day, an iltichnya can attempt to summon 1d4 skulvyn (FF) or 1 iltichnya with a 50% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 4th level spell.

Spoiler: Malshanax (CR 19)
    Show
    MALSHANAX

Malshanax are cruel and mighty demons that live in the perpetually frozen layers of the Abyss. It is said they are the only demons (except demon lords) who can compete against the dreaded balors; actually, they are often found arguing or fighting with them. Malshanax love to spread suffering and always take advantage of their superior strength to oppress the ones who are weaker than them.

Large outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar, tanar'ri)

CR 19
    Aligment Chaotic Evil

HP 330 (20d8 + 240)
    AC 36, touch 14, flat-footed 31 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +22 natural)
    Saves Fort +23, Ref +17, Will +20

Initiative +9
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
    Melee +2 blue ice ranseur +29/+24/+19/+14 (2d6 + 12 + 1d6 cold/x3)
    or
    Melee 2 claws +27 (1d8 + 8)
    BAB +20, Grapple +32

Abilities Str 26, Dex 21, Con 32, Int 22, Wis 26, Cha 31
    Feats Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness (LM), Quicken Spell-like Ability (Flesh to Ice), Quicken Spell-like Ability (Wall of Ice)
    Skills Concentration +34, Diplomacy +33, Intimidate +33, Knowledge (the planes) +29, Listen +31, Search +29, Sense Motive +31, Spellcraft +29, Spot +31, Survival +31, Use Magic Device +33

Special Attacks Awaken Snow, Ranseur, Spell-like Abilities, Summon
    Special Qualities Damage Reduction 20/Cold Iron and Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to cold, electricity and poison, Permafrost, Resistance to acid 10 and fire 10, Spell Resistance 30, Telepathy 100 ft.

Advancement 21-30 HD (Large); 31-60 HD (Huge)

Combat

Malshanax are very powerful creatures who do not fear any foe. If they don't feel threatened they charge into battle and slaughter their enemies with their +2 blue ice ranseur, otherwise, they prefer to stay at distance, throwing spell-like abilities to the opponents while covering behind their snow minions.

Awaken Snow (Su): Once per day as a standard action, a malshanax can infuse life force into a pile of snow, transforming it in a powerful and obedient soldier. This ability is similar to a Summon Monster spell, except the malshanax can only summon earth elementals. Creatures summoned by this effect lose the earth subtype and gain the cold subtype, lose the Earth Mastery ability, and can use the Earth Glide ability to glide through snow and ice, but not stone or dirt. They also deal an additional 1d8 cold damage with each succesful attack. A malshanax can summon 1 elder elemental, 1d4 greater elementals, or 2d6 huge elementals. A malshanax needs at least 60 cubic ft. of ice and snow to use this ability. Creatures summoned by this effect last for 1 hour before melting.

Permafrost (Su): Malshanax bring winter wherever they go. The temperature in the area within 40 ft. from a malshanax is always set on extreme cold. The area is also under the effect of a Control Weather spell. The current season is always considered winter for the purpose of this effect.

Ranseur (Su): A malshanax can conjure, as a swift action, a +2 blue ice ranseur of his size. He can hit adjacent opponents with the ranseur with no penalties. A malshanax' ranseur has the ability to condense the water vapor in the air to create ice and snow. Every time a malshanax succesfully strikes an opponent with his ranseur, the creature and all creatures adjacent to her take 1d6 cold damage, and must make a DC 30 fortitude save or being fatigued for 1d4 rounds. As a standard action, a malshanax can stir his ranseur to conjure a small avalanche: creatures in a 30 ft. cone take 10d6 damage, half bludgeoning, half cold (reflex CD 30 halves). The area affected by this ability becomes covered in swon, impeding movement. The speed of every creature in the area is reduced to 5 ft. and creatures take a -4 penalty on attack rolls, reflex saves, Dexterity checks and Dexterity-based skill checks while in the area. The snow can be melted with heat. This ability effectively creates 30 cubic feet of snow.
    As a standard action, a malshanax can throw his ranseur. This is treated as a splash weapon attack. Upon reaching destination, the ranseur explodes in a burst of chilly wind: creatures within 15 ft. from the impact point are immediately turned into ice, as per the Flesh to Ice spell (FB) (fortitude DC 30 to negate). This attack completely destroys the ranseur. After this, a malshanax cannot conjure another ranseur for the next 1d4 + 1 rounds.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Blasphemy (DC 27), Flesh to Ice (FB) (DC 25), Dispel Magic (greater), Heartfreeze (FB) (DC 26) Ice Rift (FB), Ice to Flesh (FB), Move Snow and Ice (FB), Teleport (greater) (only self, plus 50 pounds of objects), Wall of Ice (DC 24), Whiteout (FB); 1/day - Cometstrike (FB) (DC 29), Iceberg (FB) (DC 29). Caster level 20th.

Summon (Sp): Once per day, a malshanax can automatically summon 1d3 hezrou, 1 glabrezu, or 1 nalfeshnee. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

Spoiler: Radiplob (CR 5)
    Show
    RADIPLOB

Radiplob are a race of amphibious demons who lives in the Abyssal marshes and seas. They usually eat rotten carcasses, which are copious in the filthy waters they live in, but do not despise fresh meat, so they can be seen every now and then wandering in smalls gangs to assault wanderers or other demons.

CR 5
    Aligment Chaotic Evil

HP 51 (6d8 + 24)
    AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+3 Dex, +6 natural)
    Saves Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +7

Initiative +7
    Speed 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 40 ft.
    Melee Radiplob blightaxe +11/+6 (1d12 + 7 + disease) and bite +6 (1d6 + 2)
    or
    Melee bite +11 (1d6 + 5) and 2 claws +6 (1d4 + 2)
    BAB +6, Grapple +11
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.

Abilities Str 21, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 10
    Feats Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Track
    Skills Concentration +13, Hide +12, Intimidate +9, Listen +11, Move Silently +12, Search +10, Spot +11, Survival +11, Swim +22

Special Attacks Blightaxe, Spell-like Abilities, Summon
    Special Qualities Amphibious, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to diseases, electricity and poison, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, Rot Smell, Telepathy 100 ft.

Advancement 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment +5

Combat

Radiplob are fierce warriors that do not fear a fight. When possible, they try to lure their enemies in water, where they have the advantage, before finishing them with powerful blows.

Amphibious (Ex): Radiplob can breathe both air and water.

Blightaxe (Su): Every radiplob carries a special weapon called blightaxe. It deals damage equal to a greataxe of its size. Damage done by a blightaxe cannot be treated unless the healer succeeds on a DC 15 Heal check (for mundane healing), or a DC 15 caster level check (for magical healing). In addition, every time a creature is succesully hit by a blightaxe, she contracts a special disease called depth sickness (Injury DC 15, incubation period 1d4 rounds, damage 1d4 Str and Con).

Rot Smell (Ex): Radiplob's putrid flesh emanates a disgusting smell that incapacitates their foes. Creatures within 10 ft. from a radiplob take a -2 penalties on saving throws against poisons and diseases, and must succeed on a DC 16 fortitude save or be nauseated for 1d4 rounds. Creatures that succeed on the save are immune to the smell of the same radiplob for 24 hours. The DC is Constitution-based.

Skills: Radiplob receive a +8 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when they are in a swamp or are at least partially submerged in water.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - Curse Water, Ghoul Touch (DC 13), Scare (DC 13), Silence Teleport (greater) (only self, plus 50 pounds of objects); 1/day - Bestow Curse (DC 14). Caster level 6th.

Summon (Sp): Once per day, a Radiplob can attempt to summon 1 skulvyn (FF) or 1 radiplob, with a 40% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd level spell.

Radiplob Doombringer, 9th Level Demonbrand

CR 14
    Aligment Chaotic Evil

HP 157 (6d8 + 30 plus 9d8 + 60)
    AC 24, touch 14, flat-footed 20 (+4 Dex, +6 natural, +4 chitin armor)
    Saves Fort +16, Ref +12, Will +14

Initiative +8
    Speed 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 40 ft.
    Melee +1 aquatic radiplob blightaxe +19/+14 (1d12 + 9 + disease) and bite +6 (1d6 + 6)
    or
    Melee bite +18 (1d6 + 6) and 2 claws +13 (1d4 + 3)
    BAB +12, Grapple +18
    Space 5 ft., Reach 5 ft.

Abilities Str 23, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 20
    Feats Channel the Dark Power*, Combat Casting, Dark Speech (FC I), Fiendish Retribution*, Improved Critical (radiplob blightaxe), Heart of the Nabassu*, Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness (LM), Noxious Talons*, Power Attack, Thrall to a Demon (Ulagresh)*
    Skills Bluff +10, Concentration +14, Diplomacy +15, Gather Information +12, Hide +13, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (religion) +7, Knowledge (the planes) +7, Listen +7, Move Silently +13, Search +11, Sense Motive +8, Spot +12, Survival +12, Swim +23, Use Magic Device +10

Special Attacks Blightaxe, Spell-like Abilities
    Special Qulities Amphibious, Demonbrand Abilities, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to diseases, electricity and poison, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, Rot Smell, Telepathy 100 ft.
    Possessions Chitin armor, mantle of charisma +4, ring of spell storing (minor)

Advancement By character class
    Level Adjustment +5

*New feat, described here.

Combat

Demonbrand abilities: Blessed Gear (+1 aquatic radiplob blightaxe), Demon Form, Envoy of the Archfiend, Fiendish Arts (caster level 9th), Patron's Blessing (lesser), Patron's Blessing (greater).

Rot Smell (Ex): DC 18.

Skills: A radiplob doombringer receive a +8 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when they are in a swamp or are at least partially submerged in water.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - Curse Water, Ghoul Touch (DC 18), Scare (DC 18), Silence Teleport (greater) (only self, plus 50 pounds of objects); 1/day - Bestow Curse (DC 19). Caster level 6th.

Radiplob as Characters

Raiplob characters possess the following racial traits.

• +10 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom.
    • Medium size.
    • Base land speed 20 ft. and a swim speed of 40 ft.
    • Racial Hit Dice: A radiplob begins with six levels of outsider, which provide 6d8 HD, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +5, and Will +5.
    • A radiplob’s outsider levels give it skill points equal to 9 × (8 + Int modifier). His class skills are Concentration, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, Survival, and Swim.
    • A radiplob’s outsider levels give it three feats.
    • +6 natural armor bonus
    • Natural Weapons: bite (1d6) and 2 claws (1d4)
    • Tanar'ri traits: Darkvision 60 ft., Immunity to electricity and poison, Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, Telepathy 100 ft.
    • Immunity to diseases.
    • Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities.
    • Special Qualities: Amphibious, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron or Good, Rot Smell.
    • Automatic Languages: Abyssal. Bonus Languages: Common, Infernal, Celestial.
    • Favored class: fighter
    • level adjustment: +6.
    Last edited by Hipster Dixit; 2014-08-17 at 04:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Do you think so? Thing is, the difference between a demon lord and a demigod that lives in the abyss is very, very subtle (to me at least). Also remember that some demon lords (Elimdal, Marzurg, Vergron) became demons using the Mark of the Abyss feat, which inevitably shifted their alignment towards chaos, regardless of their original attitude. That said, you could be right... to which demon lords are you referring in particular?
    Here's my list:

-Elimdal: He seems more like a patron of people who are commited to creating undead, which is neither lawful or chaotic if you are doing it for personal power, not to mention that the mindless undead are NE. You could say the same with his murder sprees, as they seem to be dedicated to a cause rather than just being out-of-the-blue.
    EDIT: Okay, I guess the feat kind of works for this, but it's a stretch.

-Marzurg: As a rule I think nature patrons should follow the druid alignment rules, and Marzug seems to be no exception. Her acts seem to be neither lawful or chaotic, just like Elimdal.
    EDIT: I know about the feat thing, but she really just doesn't seem the type.

-Nephram: Doesn't seem all that chaotic, just evil. I really have nothing else to say about him.

-Ulagresh: First of all, aboleths are lawful and he is chaotic, there's a bit of a problem in that field. That said, he isn't that lawful either, and I have a special place for him. Now, if you've seen any of my other threads involving aboleths, you probably know I'm going to suggest he's another Elder Evil, like the ones in LoM. He's just one that is interested in the waters of the planes for some reason.

That's all of the ones I could find.
    Last edited by ...; 2014-08-17 at 06:08 PM.