New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default [IC] Jade Regent

It is a beautiful morning, with sun shining brightly and only several clouds gliding lazily across the sky. The waters of Varisian Gulf are coruscating with reflected sun, dazzling those that look too long into its depths. It seems the day will be hot, but fresh breeze coming from the sea is a true godsend, cooling a town of Sandpoint and allowing people to enjoy this magnificent weather.

With the town waking up, empty streets start to slowly fill with happy citizens and their mutual greetings. They all have their own chores and things they need to take care of, but nobody seems to be in an excessive rush. Everything looks like from a painting made by a truly skilled artist, with a ship on the horizon complementing this picturesque view. Both past and present worries of the town seem distant now, without any meaning.

Varandriel

Spoiler
    Show
    The door leading to your cabin open with a long creak. It’s still quite early, and you just woke a few minutes before. Since there is not much for you to do on the ship, you can allow yourself a luxury of sleeping late. When you lift your head from the pillow you see wide, bearded face of captain Silas peeking inside. ‘We’ve arrived, missy. We’re finally in Sandpoint. Come and see for yourself’, he says with his hoarse voice. He always sounds as if he had one too many the day before, but you’ve never actually seen him drinking.

You eagerly dress up, gather all your possessions and follow the man to the main deck. When you emerge, you see the crew preparing to moor at a long pier. Behind it you see some warehouses, followed by rows of lovely houses and some kind of cathedral looming in the distance. The haven is surprisingly empty, as there is only one small vessel other than your ‘Sparkling Star’ and just a few people wandering here or there.

While waiting for the sailors to set the gangplank, you recall Shalelu informing you in one of the letters that Rusty Dragon is located somewhere near the harbor, but you can’t remember where exactly. No wonders, it’s the very first time you’ve travelled so far! Possibly someone local could guide you.

Ril

Spoiler
    Show
    As usual, you greet the new day at your perch above the Rusty Dragon. You watch the people leaving their houses down below, heading towards their everyday duties. But what is your duty? That is the question you’ve asked yourself quite a few times already. People have their jobs, customers to handle, children to take care of. And you? All you have is a name, and that name is Ameiko. But what’s the meaning of all this mess? Alas, you are clueless.

You turn your head just to see a ship mooring at the southern harbor. That’s possibly a good sign for Sandpoint, not many merchants visited recently. And all that goblin attacks that occured in the past few days... Actually, ten gold pieces for a goblin’s ear sound like a bargain. Still, goblins are the last thing to worry about when heading into the Marsh, you know that well. Maybe some company wouldn’t hurt?

Lukas

Spoiler
    Show
    You wake up in your small apartment above the tailor’s workshop. No sooner than you open your eyes, something small and warm pat you on your shoulder, squeaking happily. That’s Ikelas, as always awake before you are, doing his ‘good morning’ ritual.

Even though the sun is relatively high already, you get up from your bed without any rush. Master Aldon, your employer, gave you a free day for the good work you did recently. He is a reasonable master. When Koya brought you to Sandpoint, he took care of you without too much hesitation. Of course, you have a talent that is invaluable in his business, but you are sure his kindness is something more than just a concern about the money you earn for him.

Eating some oatmeal with Ikelas flying joyfully above your head, you think how to spend your free day. With lots of ideas swirling in your mind, you go down, to the workshop. Quick nod to Aldon sitting behind his desk and writing something in the registry, and you are on the street, ready to enjoy this beautiful day.

Thrane

Spoiler
    Show
    You wake up suddenly with a frantic gasp. At first, you are confused - a second ago you only heard Umber’s shrieks and some kind of roars, and you saw blood, a lot of blood, and then everything was engulfed by flames. After a while, you realise that was just a dream, a horrible dream reminding you of that awful day.

You get up, still a little shaken. Putting your breeches and shirt on, you hear somebody climbing the stairs. When you are almost done, there is a firm knock on the door. After you open you see Ameiko, beautiful as always, in a stylish, crimson quilted jacket today.

You are awake, good. When you are ready, come down. There’s a lot of cleaning to do, and I saw a ship coming, so we may have some visitors today’ - while talking, she sees your distress and looks you in the eyes. - ‘Is everything alright, Thrane?’

Ca'alash

Spoiler
    Show
    You stand at the western end of a bridge leading into Sandpoint. To your right you can see a local graveyard and a huge stone cathedral. Looking at that magnificent building you immediately recognise Erastil’s mark at its southern wall. However, you realise the cathedral itself isn’t solely dedicated to your god, as you can see the symbols of some other deities as well.

In front of you and to your left are small houses and some shops. There is also a bakery somewhere here, as you can clearly smell a freshly baked bread. Two streets run deeper into the town with just a few people on each, one leading west and slightly north, persumably to the cathedral, while the other going south, probably to the town centre. You can’t see any warehouses here, nothing big enough to keep a chariot in, at least. What you know about human settlements would suggest searching somewhere nearer to the harbor though. You also remember a name of some inn where Shalelu sometimes stayed. How was it called, ‘Gasping Dragon’?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Jade Regent

Lukas takes a deep, satisfied breath as the door of the shop jingles closed. Little Ikelas, tucked snuggly away in Lukas's leather belt pouch, resonates Lukas' mood with a happy chirp as the slender young man sets out on a roundabout course for the cathedral.

Wishing a good morning to neighbors and customers as he crosses the town, Lukas stops to pick up a two bottles of beer. He makes a couple more stops, picking up some bread and cheese, and stops by the Way North to see if there is anything new in the collection.

Lukas looks around, enjoying the interplay of sunlight and shadows on the beautiful walls of Sandpoint's still-new cathedral.

"Well, there's no sense putting this off," Lukas chastises himself with a rueful smile and heads in to the cathedral to try to find one of the clerics of Desna to share bread, beer and conversation with.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thranes shoulder-length hair is slightly ruffled from just getting out of bed. His eyes does not light up the way they normally do from seeing Ameiko in the doorway and his mouth remains in a line. The half-elf's heart is beating faster than normal from the memories of the night before. He is wearing a plain white cotton shirt. It is presentable enough, but also light enough to keep on under armor. It got a string to tie the neck together, but the string is not tied at the moment, showing a bit of pale chest underneath. His pants are also cotton, but dyed blue, they are tightfitting showing off his slim limbs.

"Memories don't fade quickly. I am still dreaming about what happened. It's quite a change to adjust to for me." he says, though his train of thought continues in his head. Though it is not all for the worse, at least the beatings have stopped. Still, it was horrible what actually happened. He sits down on the bed to drag on his boots, sturdy well worn leather boots. "I am just missing my boots, I will be down shortly. Work sounds great, I need something to take my mind of what happened.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the gangplank is set, Varandriel waves to the sailors and sets off. "Goodbye, and Desna send you safe travels!" Everything here is so different from Crying Leaf! Rougher, in a way, but vibrant and full of life. The weight of ages that so often burdens her kin is absent here. Now, where to find the Rusty Dragon? The elf hums to herself, thinking. Actually, I should see if they have a temple or shrine to Desna first so I can give thanks for the safe voyage.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor..." Varandriel looks up to see an elderly beggar sitting next to a wall, a begging bowl in front of him. She walks over and gives him a bright smile. "Good morning! Is there a temple or shrine to Desna in this town?" Her Common is accented but quite understandable according to the sailors.

"Another elf, eh?" He squints up at her with cloudy eyes. "Aye, the cathedral honors Lady Luck along wi' several other gods." Turning to point, the beggar gives her directions.

"Thank you, and Desna bless you!" Varandriel digs in her belt pouch; the voyage from Riddleport to Sandpoint cost much more than she and her fellow clerics expected, but she still has a few coins. She drops her spare coppers into his bowl, waves, and sets out for the cathedral.

The building is impressively large to her eyes. Older elves claim that ruined Celwynvian and the cities of Kyonin are more magnificent than anything the other races can build, but Varandriel has never seen any of those. She spots the butterfly of her patron goddess almost right away and heads for the altar to make a quick prayer of thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

But where to start? asks Ril to himself, deciding that it is past time to start gathering more clues about his origins

Maybe there is something in Brinestump Marsh that I did not notice when I first woke up. reasons the ninja

But it would be better not to go alone. Maybe the new boat arrivals will carry individuals interested in hunting goblins in the Marsh? I better find out...

With a plan starting to hatch in his mind, Ril steps to the ledge of the Rusty Dragon's roof and boldly takes a step forwards.

As he fall, the ninja lets his mind go and is once again marveled at how his muscles begin to act on their own. His arms extend and, right after reaching a horizontal position with his legs find the perfect timing to kick against the wall of the inn and propel towards an adjacent building where his skillful limbs find handholds and footholds to break his fall.

Finishing his descent with a somersault, Ril lands softly in front of the Rusty Dragon entrance and casually dusts his clothes, clearly unaware that he just performed a death-defying stunt.

Walking into the inn, the ninja sits at his usual table in one of the corners. Although the location certainly grants Ril some privacy, the ninja had chosen the specific table for another reason: The acoustics of the inn allowed him to listen to most other conversations without being noticed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use diplomacy (for a total of 18 if take 10 is allowed) to gather information on other adventurers wanting to hunt goblins/approach the Marsh.

If a roll is needed diplomacy - (1d20+8)[26]
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2013-07-19 at 07:13 PM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

6. - Top - End - #6

Flumph

Ca'alash sniffs the air and his stomach rumble as waffs of fresh baked peasent bread enters his delicate nostrils. He hesitates, looking south, then west. In his heart he knows he has to go and pay homage to his patron. He nonchalantly walks on the westbound path, smirking, keeping his eyes open for a bakery.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I see any bakeries on my way, I pick up two loafs and start eating one.
    Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Or be a Bard Lich and tell people you're Keith Richards
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Ril
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you land on the street you hear excited shouts coming from the end of the Market Street. When you turn your head you see a group of dirty teenagers pointing at you and probably arguing about something. With a quick shrug, you enter the inn.

It’s still quite early and not many people are actually inside. You spot a Varisian couple eating breakfast at another side of the room, two burly men at the bar, sipping from their mugs, and of course old Bethana, the maid. She’s surprisingly able for an elderly halfling, but time is a cruel master and with every year her light fades. That’s probably why Ameiko hired that assistant, Thrane, was he called? Strange boy, and some folks even say he’s involved in his house burning down!

While you take a seat at your usual table, you see Ameiko coming down the stairs. She is wearing a very fashionable outfit consisting of crimson quilted jacket, grey leggins, high red boots and some bracelets. Seeing you, she grabs a writing pad from the bar and approaches.

Good morning Ril. You’re up early as always, if only my employees could manage that!’ - She brushed away her fringe with a faint smile. - ‘Anyway, how can I help you today?

Thrane
    Spoiler
    Show

She looks at you a while longer, saying nothing. After a while she nods with a sigh. ‘If you ever need anything, you know where to find me, right?’ Without waiting for your answer, she turns and starts descending the stairs, swaying her hips. You watch her as long as you can see her from your bed and resume dressing up. A handful of water from the bowl to spray your face, few strokes of comb to make your hair right and you are ready. Instead of going immediately downstairs, you stare through the window for a second, trying to calm down a little bit more.

From your room you’ve got a good sight at the Market Street, and a bit of harbor. At the Market Street are some women with empty baskets heading towards the market, to buy everyday supplies and two men struggling to carry a wooden log towards one of the magazines. At the other end of the street you can see a group of boys arguing fiercely about something and two young maids with a laundry.

After that quick glance you finally decide to go down, back to everyday’s life. You’d like to summon Kaiku, that, woman, if you could call her this way, but she probably wouldn’t be welcomed well by the customers. When you reach the main room you see just several clients, two of them, by appearance you can say they are probably merchants, eating at the far end of the room, two shipyard workers sitting at the bar drinking. At the corner you also see Ameiko talking to that silent guy who always walk with those weird swords.

When she spots you, old Bethana comes from behind the bar with a wide smile. ‘Thrane, lad! Good to see you. How are you today? You don’t have that weird lion with you? Where does it sleep anyway, I hope I won’t have a room full of fur to clean?!’ - She pokes you with her finger in the stomach, pretending to be mad. That poke was probably intended for your chest, but a little halfling can’t really reach that high. - ‘Anyway, I’ve got some shopping to do. Will you cover for me till I’m back?

Varandriel
    Spoiler
    Show

Walking through the town is certainly entertaining. At every step you see something new, something interesting and worth remembering, even if everything you see is just an ordinary life of plain citizens of Sandpoint. Sure you always wanted to travel, but only now when you left Mierani Forest your hunger to see the world’s wonders is truly awakened.

You freeze in place for a second, when a group of young boys start running around you. You quickly realise they are playing some game, with one trying to catch the others and you are just an obstacle they use. Kids, that something truly outstanding here. Back at home, there weren’t that many of them, and those few were strictly taken care of, taught everything they could need, educated both in the matters of body and mind. Not that the elves are excessively strict, they do value freedom. But children are too rare to let them run around like this. You can’t help but to smile seeing them having fun, though.

You cross nearly the whole town on your way to the temple. When you finally reach it, you see the old beggar was right, the cathedral hosts six gods indeed, that is Abadar, Desna, Erastil, Gozreh, Sarenrae and Shelyn. When you enter you can see that the building is as impressive from the inside as from the outside, but still pretty modest at the same time. You ask some man in robes for directions and after a while you are kneeling in front of Desna’s altar.

On your way back when you are done with your prayers, you see a middle-aged (as far as you can judge humans’ age) man wearing blue robes with symbols indicating he is a priest of Desna talking to a boy carrying a basket full of food. Seeing that, you hear a rumbling sound coming from your belly, telling you that you haven’t eaten anything today yet.

Lukas
    Spoiler
    Show

On your trip through the town you meet many neighbours and customers as they are heading towards their workshops, stores, market and other points of interest. One middle-aged matron even stops you telling you she's got a dress that needs mending, but all you can do is to just apologise and send her to master Aldon.

When you finally get into the cathedral with your supplies, Ikelas jumps out of your pouch and starts flying around, making circles above acolytes' heads. Even though she shouldn't do this, she's too admirable to be mad at her. Besides, the priests never complained about your visits.

After asking an acolyte about father Abstalar, you head towards the shrine of Desna. He is nearby the enterance indeed, looking curiously at something inside. When he hears your echoing steps he turns towards you, his face widening in a warm smile. 'Ah, young Lukas! How may I help you today? How may I quench the ever burning fire of your curiosity?'

Ca'alash
    Spoiler
    Show

You find a bakery indeed, with shelves full of different loafs, rolls, croissants and cakes. Everything look and smell delicious here, especially after the time you've spent on the road. Even towns have some adventages.

Fat lady standing near the counter looks at you with a grin after handling previous customer. 'Foreigner, ech? Welcome to Sandpoint, and don't let those filthy bastard goblins get you. Now, how can I help you?' - She looks at you suspiciously. - 'You have some coins, right? Coins, understand?' - she asks, pointing at her hand and making a gesture signifying money.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas grins when Ikelas takes to the air. The energetic little bat loves the soaring vault of the cathedral, and there is no danger to her here. She soars around the lofty architecture, zig-zagging here and there to gobble up unwary mosquitoes and flies.

Lukas returns the senior priest's warm welcome, "Good morning, Father Abstalar! I was hoping you could spare a few moments to help me with a moral quandary."
    He tilts his head slightly, remembering why it took so long getting to the cathedral, "And I brought an early lunch for us! Can we sit and talk over a bit of bread and beer?"

The kind priest ushers Lukas toward a bench near Desna's alcove and takes a bite from the hunk of bread the young man offers him, "Now what is on your mind, Lukas?"

Lukas sits and uncorks a beer, handing it to Father Abstalar, and then lets out a short breath.
    "You know about the goblins, with their new explosives, and how the whole town seems worried about another invasions?" Lukas asks rhetorically.

Father Abstalar nods for Lukas to continue.

"I feel like with my magic, I have the power to help prevent people here in Sandpoint from getting hurt. What's more, I feel like that having this power carries with it the responsibility to use it to protect as many people as I can," Lukas takes a drink of his beer and looks to the priest.

Abstalar nods again, "yes, Lukas, I believe there is an old saying about power and responsibility. What is holding you back?"

"I don't want to hurt anyone! I know goblins are cruel and insane, but setting out to murder someone seems abhorrent. How would that make me any better than the goblins? I want to prevent pain and suffering, not cause it!"

Abstalar puts a sympathetic hand on Lukas's shoulder, "I too have felt this internal strife that you now feel, my boy. You must weigh your actions against the greater good - how much good each of your actions might bring must be weighed against their potential for harm."

The priest straightens and looks the half-elf square in the eyes, "And I know this, Lukas. You are a good and gentle soul. There is no bloodlust in you. I am confident that your faith in Desna, and your own good heart will guide your actions to the path that the Starsong dreams for you."

Lukas thinks on this for a short while, staring up as Ikelas flits through the archways of the cathedral, "So you think I should go?"

Abstalar shakes his head, "I think you have the power to decide on your own. Thank you for the lunch, Lukas. It is so thoughtful of you to visit me today."

The priest rises, and gives Lukas another fatherly pat on the shoulder, before moving off to attend to his duties.

Lukas watches Ikelas for a while longer before getting up and looking around the Cathedral.
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2013-07-20 at 09:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Ca'alash smiles and winks at the lady, taking the appropriate coins from his pack. With a rich, warm voice he says :

Oh dear! And here I thought I could gets away with a flirt and good looks! Was I so bad as to look like some Kellid ruffian ?
    If I'm a monk using lettuce as an Improvised Thrown Weapon, does that make me a salad-tosser ???
    Les Goblins Toxiques : A geek blog (in French) where I write about RPG, M:TG and such. Also has a podcast / radio show. RIP 2012 We had a great run but RL caught up with us!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Varandriel's sensitive ears can't help but pick up on the conversation between the priest and the young man as she finishes her prayers. Hmm... come to think of it, I remember Shalelu talking about how goblins were a plague upon the land routes to Sandpoint. But that was some time ago, and those who have been to human lands say that they change quickly. Standing up and straightening her leaf-patterned scale armor, the elf approaches the young man. Those human eyes are so unsettling- just a ring of color around a black spot, roving around on a background of white! It seems that everyone except other elves have similar moving eyes, not like her solid violet orbs at all. It's still strange to her even after her journey to Riddleport and the sea voyage from there to Sandpoint.

The cleric shakes off her unease and smiles at the pale-haired man. "Hello! I'm Varandriel Maethrien, a cleric of Desna. I just arrived on the ship this morning." She offers her hand, blushing as her stomach growls. "I couldn't help but overhear some of your conversation with the priest. Are goblins a great problem for the people of Sandpoint these days? My friend Shalelu mentioned them on one of her visits, but I was a bit distracted at the time. Drow, you know."
    Last edited by Phasm; 2013-07-20 at 04:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norandil View Post
    Ril
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you land on the street you hear excited shouts coming from the end of the Market Street. When you turn your head you see a group of dirty teenagers pointing at you and probably arguing about something. With a quick shrug, you enter the inn.

It’s still quite early and not many people are actually inside. You spot a Varisian couple eating breakfast at another side of the room, two burly men at the bar, sipping from their mugs, and of course old Bethana, the maid. She’s surprisingly able for an elderly halfling, but time is a cruel master and with every year her light fades. That’s probably why Ameiko hired that assistant, Thrane, was he called? Strange boy, and some folks even say he’s involved in his house burning down!

While you take a seat at your usual table, you see Ameiko coming down the stairs. She is wearing a very fashionable outfit consisting of crimson quilted jacket, grey leggins, high red boots and some bracelets. Seeing you, she grabs a writing pad from the bar and approaches.

Good morning Ril. You’re up early as always, if only my employees could manage that!’ - She brushed away her fringe with a faint smile. - ‘Anyway, how can I help you today?
    As soon as he sees Ameiko, Ril's eyes involuntarily rescan the room in search for any threats.

Miss Kaijitsu replies Ril politely with a small bow. As always, Ril wondered what it was about this woman that made him react in such manner. The ninja had decided to keep his... situation a secret from Amiko until he knew more himself.

I have been thinking of venturing towards the Marsh continues Ril, letting the inns owner make her own judgement of his intentions (most likely she'd think that he wanted part of the reward)

Have you heard of others having similar intentions?

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thrane can't help himself but think that those hips look amazingly attractive as she vanishes from sigh. He weights the options for an against summoning Kaiku, on the one hand it will save him time when he does summon her later and he plans to summon her anyway but on the other hand she is quite unusual and would probably scare some people off.

Thrane greets Bethana with a wave and a smile. "Good morning Bethana, nice to see you. Kaiku does not like to sleep in houses so you don't have to worry about her messing up the inn. I guess I will cover for you. I don't have any great plans, can't just wander off adventuring on my own now can I? Will be interesting to see the new travellers, maybe some of them would want to band together to collect goblin bounty?"

Thrane heads around the inn and asks the verious clients how they are doing and if they would like anything more. Eventually he comes on over to Ameiko and the man with the wierd swords just in time to hear him mention something about intentions, and he can't help but interject. "What intentions?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Drow?? Lukas looks alarmed at the mention of the fell race.

The half-elven youth's cheeks flush under the full-blooded elf's inspection. A mental list of all the ways he doesn't measure up to a full elf flies though his mind.

Summoning his courage for decency's sake, Lukas takes Varandriel's hand in greeting and looks like he's trying to decide whether or not he's supposed to bow. Settling somewhere in between, he dips his head in deference, then returns his gaze to the elven woman's eyes. He raises an eyebrow ever-so-slightly at her rumbling stomach.

"It's a true honor to meet you, Varandriel. My name is Lukas. Lukas Endymion."

Lukas switches to the elven tongue out of courtesy and says, If you've just arrived, you must be hungry - I still have half a loaf of fresh bread and a bit of cheese that I can't finish. I'd be delighted to share them with you."

Whether or not the cleric takes him up on the offer, Lukas continues, anxious to answer her question and get to his own, "The people of Sandpoint are simple farmers and craftspeople for the most part. There are only a few great warriors among us - your friend Shalelu and Sheriff Hemlock, most notably.

"The people here will fight to defend their homes, families and neighbors, but if a large force of goblins invades, many good people will certainly die. I've only been here a few years, but this town has welcomed me in a way I would never have hoped for when I left home. Just the thought of some of them falling to a goblin spear twists me up inside."

Lukas truly does look pained. He goes on, "In any case, the goblins aren't usually much of a problem. However, the clan nearby has recently acquired a cache of explosive - fireworks, I think - and Sheriff Hemlock is rightly concerned that their newfound firepower will embolden the goblins enough to start raiding Sandpoint and its surrounding farms. He's offered a bounty on goblins - ten gold pieces per ear, and a full three hundred gold pieces for the head of their chieftain. I personally think the practice of collecting ears is abhorrent, but I do feel like I should be doing something to keep my friends and neighbors from getting killed."

Lukas blanches, realizing that he has yammered on entirely too long to be proper. He shuts his mouth and waits to see what the cleric thinks of the situation.
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2013-07-20 at 09:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Varandriel tries not to look too eager as she takes the bread and cheese, sitting down on the bench where Lukas and the other priest had been sitting earlier. "Thank you very much, Lukas," she replies in Elven. The cleric quietly enjoys her breakfast while he talks, thinking about how to reply. Eventually he runs out of words right about the same time she finishes the last bit of bread.

"I have never heard of collecting an enemy's ears to claim a hunter's boon. It sounds rather messy, but given the unique size and shape of goblin ears, certainly effective to prove the truth of one's words." She tilts her head, absently pushing a stray strand of red-gold hair out of her face. "You sound like a kind person, Lukas. But sometimes we must steel our hearts and do what is necessary to protect those who cannot fight. Remember, goblins are the get of Lamashtu, Mother of Monsters and Desna's sworn enemy; while it may be possible in theory for one to overcome the madness in its blood, not even the oldest and most experienced elves I have met have ever told such a tale."

Varandriel shrugs with a clinking of mail. "In Crying Leaf, those who patrol the forest for drow and other monsters are simply given goods such as food and arrows in recognition of their services, with more valuable things for those who defeat stronger enemies. The bounty on goblin ears looks to me like a human version of this; a reward for those with the strength and courage to fight for the safety of the community. After all, if one is out hunting goblins, one cannot be crafting or doing other things to earn a living."

She stands, offering him a smile. "But that is simply my opinion. This is my first time traveling outside the Mierani Forest, so I expect many things will be different here." Varandriel offers Lukas his basket, empty save for the bottles of beer. After her first experience with beer in Riddleport, the elf has vowed not to touch the stuff again unless she's dying of thirst and there is no water to be had. "Let us talk of something more cheerful! Can you tell me where the Rusty Dragon Inn is? Shalelu said that she stays there when she is in Sandpoint. If she's here, I would very much like to talk with her. And I need a place to stay, if it's not too expensive."
    Last edited by Phasm; 2013-07-21 at 01:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas listens intently to Varandriel as she makes her case, nodding seriously and clearly taking her words to heart. He is amazed at the difference in philosophy between a stationary village priest and a devoted warrior cleric of Desna.

"Thank you for your insight, Varandriel. I sometimes find it is the people who don't know me who give the best counsel," Lukas smiles shyly as pieces lock together in his mind.

He takes the basket back and brightens, "The Rusty Dragon serves a great lunch - I go there fairly often when I have a bit of extra coin. Why don't I show you the way. Their prices are reasonable and the food is miles above the swill they serve in the sailor's tavern near the docks."

The impressionable half-elf looks to the ceiling and whistles a few notes. Almost immediately a little blue gray bat flits down from the ceiling, circles once, and lands on Lukas' shoulder. Varandriel's sharp eyes notice that the little bat wears a teensy-tiny silver necklace and wrist cuff set that looks identical to the set Lukas wears. The bat nuzzles Lukas' jawline, then chirps a greeting toward Varandriel. Lukas delicately takes the little bat in hand and nestles her away in a finely-crafted belt pouch.

"This is Ikelas. She is very friendly and brave, but I keep her tucked away in town to protect her from hawks and cats. And because a lot of people get nervous around bats," Lukas notes with a smile, "shall we go? I'd love to hear of your voyage - I've never been on a ship!"
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2013-07-21 at 07:35 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oyzar View Post
    Thrane heads around the inn and asks the verious clients how they are doing and if they would like anything more. Eventually he comes on over to Ameiko and the man with the wierd swords just in time to hear him mention something about intentions, and he can't help but interject. "What intentions?"
    Ril looks up to the new arrival and evaluates the young man, who he knew to be one of the Rusty Dragon's employees. For a while the ninja had been concerned about the man's lingering looks where it came to his empolyer, but eventually had discarded the idea of Thrane representing any threat to Ameiko.

Intentions to travel to Brinestup Marsh replies Ril to the question asked Do you know anyone considering such trip?

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thrane smiles. "I have been thinking about what to do with myself since what happened." The half-elf looks apologetically over at Ameiko. "I am sorry Ameiko, but I don't want to stay working here forever. The bounty on Goblin ears have given me ideas similar to your own. I don't belive we've been introduced before. I am Thrane Tuliux." Thrane holds out his hand to the stranger.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Thrane smiles. "I have been thinking about what to do with myself since what happened." The half-elf looks apologetically over at Ameiko. "I am sorry Ameiko, but I don't want to stay working here forever. The bounty on Goblin ears have given me ideas similar to your own. I don't belive we've been introduced before. I am Thrane Tuliux." Thrane holds out his hand to the stranger.
    Ril replies the ninja taking the man's hand (although for some reason his body felt that was an odd way to greet someone).

Do you know of any others? continues Ril, not correcting Thrane's assumptions of his motives We should form a group with other three or four members: large enough for safety but small enough to maintain mobility.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Rusty Dragon, Ril and Thrane

Spoiler
    Show
    'Good boy. And about that bounty, you remember what happened to the previous 'adventurers'? Anyway, that's your choice. I need to go, It'll take me just a second' - Bethana says to Thrane before leaving the inn, stressing the word 'adventurers' heavily. After that Thrane walks around asking the customers if they need anything, but everything seem fine, so he goes towards Ril and Ameiko.

She stands silently as you talk, eyeing both of you in turns. None of you can really tell what she is thinking at the moment, there’s not even a slightest trace of any emotion on her face. After biting her lower lip slightly, she speaks. ‘Well, I do not mind you trying to move forward with your life, Thrane. That is actually really good. But you would be a fool going there alone, or with a scant company.’ - She peeks through the window for a second. - ‘Mark my words, lad. The more, the safer. The safer, the better. And consider taking a priest of some sort with you, or at least somebody that can heal you when you need it.’ - She looks away again, this time for a bit longer. You don’t need to know her story to realise she is reliving a moment from the past. ‘Well,’ - She faces you again. - ‘ironically, you are in the best place to recruit some hotheaded youngsters to your team. If you want it, that is, and gods damn you if you don’t!’ - She squints at you, her lips one tight line. - ‘Now excuse me, I need to... I need to do something.' - With that words she departs quickly, heading towards her chambers. That sure was unexpected, for both of you.

Cathedral’s enterance, Ca’alash

Spoiler
    Show

The woman blushes slightly hearing your answer. ‘Not at all, not at all! I just thought... well, I thought someone as pretty and exotic can’t be from Sandpoint. And I was right, wasn’t I? Though you speak nearly without an accent. Better than most of the peasants here’ - She makes a wide sweep with her plump hand and flutters her eyelashes. - ‘ Now, what can I really do for you? On the house, of course.

After that little incident in the bakery, you continue your journey to the church, nibbling the bread you got. Funny how some people react to a smile and witty comment. And that is true especially among humans. Well, that’s probably because you resemble them so much that some think you are one of them, at first. If it wasn’t for your hair and eyes colour, you would easily look like a human.

You keep walking a little unconsciously, thinking about this and that. After a few minutes you realise you have finally arrived, you stand in one of the cathedral’s door and in front of you, inside the building, stand an unusual couple. Tall elven woman, wearing an exceptional armor with scales resembling leaves, with red-gold hair and uncommon violet eyes. Her companion though wears no armor at all. You think it is a man, but you were unsure at first. Willowy, with a faint smile and nearly white hair, he could probably pass as a woman, at least at first glance. They stand on the doorstep, looking at you curiously.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy roll in the bakery: (1d20+9)[22]

Cathedral’s enterance, Varandriel and Lukas

Spoiler
    Show
    You exchange polite comments, both of you curious and willing to know a little bit more about each other. Lukas is still a little bit shy, as she is a full-blooded elf after all, and Varandriel knows too little about Sandpoint’s customs to take the initiative. But you don’t even leave the cathedral before your conversation start to liven up.

It’s Varandriel describing her journey on the ‘Sparkling Star’ when a tall shade stands on your way, right at the cathedral’s threshold. When your eyes adjust, you see a strange man. He’s wearing an unusual armor, heavy morningstar and a bow. What is the most unusual about him though, lays mostly in his silver hair and eyes and that he is eating a loaf of bread staring at you, but apparently not seeing you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lukas’s Knowledge:History check to recognise the armor: (1d20+5)[8]
    Varandriel’s Knowledge:Religion (+2 bonus) check if she had ever heard about someone like that back in Mierani Forest: (1d20+6)[8]
    Last edited by Norandil; 2013-07-22 at 01:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thrane is glad to get a glimpse of her adventure life, yet at the same time he feels sad that she has such pained feelings about it. He wants to say something comforting, ideally make her open up more, but before he can do so she is gone. There will come another time. He thinks before turning back to the matter at hand. His bright future lies before him and he got to think about that if he wants to make the most out of it.

"I actually have a companion that can contribute significantly. She is not humanoid, yet thinks and acts for her own. I will introduce you to her later. What Ameiko says about healing is true. We will probably need it. I got my work here to take care off, at least until Bethana returns, but you can go over to the temple to see if there are anyone there who are looking for adventure? I have also heard that the tailor's apprentice knows some magic. Maybe he would be interested? I can talk to him once I get off from here. His name is Lukas. I will stay here until you come back. Who knows maybe someone wanting to go out hunting for goblins do show up through the course of the day?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

Ca'alash keeps chewing on his bread and notices the leaf pattern on the armor. He stare intensely at it for a few moments, a puzzled look on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise check : [roll0]

I'm sorry my gentle lady! Please excuse my rude manners as I was wondering if this was a genuine elven leaf armor ? I'd be thrilled if it was but it does look heavier than the descriptions I've read about it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, how cute!" The cleric barely restrains a most undignified girly squeal at the sight of Ikelas. "She's got a tiny bandana! And jewelry like you have!" Varandriel coos at the bat, about to take off a gauntlet and stroke her when Lukas tucks his pet away. Oh well, maybe she'll have a chance later. "I don't see why people would get nervous around bats, they're gentle creatures that keep insects away."

She picks up her pack and slings it over her shoulders. To Varandriel, it feels more bulky than heavy what with the bedroll, although she would have been moving slower than usual without Desna's blessing of quickness. "I would be happy to tell you all about it when we get to the Rusty Dragon. Lead the way, Lukas!"

As they reach the door, a new arrival speaks up; a silver-haired man with a longbow and morningstar.
    “I'm sorry my gentle lady! Please excuse my rude manners as I was wondering if this was a genuine elven leaf armor ? I'd be thrilled if it was but it does look heavier than the descriptions I've read about it.”
    "Leaf armor? Oh, you must mean leafweave!" She shakes her head. "No, this is simply scale mail with a bit of decoration." Not that elaborate by Mierani standards, but Varandriel has already had a number of comments and compliments from other races. Evidently smiths in wider Varisia are content to make plain items without any embellishment at all; only apprentices or people working with materials like crystals that are naturally beautiful do that back home. "I'm Varandriel Maeneth, and this is Lukas Endymion."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ikelas preens and gives an extra cheerful chirp to Varandriel as Lukas tucks her away.

Lukas finally lets loose a wide grin when the elven cleric seems delighted by Ikelas. He feels a warm pulse of satisfaction and pride radiate from his familiar, and says to Varandriel, "I had some spare time and spare material, so I thought I'd dress her up a bit. She honestly seems to like it. I gave Ikelas a spiked collar once - to protect her from cats, but it just didn't suit her personality."

When the two of them notice Ca'alash and Varandriel introduces him, Lukas nods politely, feeling kind of like the welcoming committee for the church, "Welcome to Sandpoint. I'm glad to see you've found the bakery - I just stopped there a few hours ago myself. Can I direct you to anyone in the cathedral? I know most of the priests and lay clergy reasonably well."

Lukas peers as the newcomer's eyes and hair, trying to place where he has heard of eyes like that before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (The Planes) check (1d20+9)[24]

Lukas blanches, realizing that he's running off at the mouth again, "Oh! I feel terribly rude - what's your name, traveler?"

Now that Ca'alash is closer, he can see that Lukas is definitely male, just very slender with almost no discernible musculature at all. The young half-elf wears a handsome burgundy vest over a long sleeved white shirt and dark brown pants, but even the best fashion efforts can't disguise that Lukas is about the skinniest adult male Ca'alash has ever met.

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

Ca’alash’s smile broadens. He then switches to elven : « Ah yes, leafweave! I should have known. See, I’ve been raised amongst the elven people but unfortunately my training kept me secluded for long periods. Ironic for a servant of Erastil, don’t you think?»

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Thrane is glad to get a glimpse of her adventure life, yet at the same time he feels sad that she has such pained feelings about it. He wants to say something comforting, ideally make her open up more, but before he can do so she is gone. There will come another time. He thinks before turning back to the matter at hand. His bright future lies before him and he got to think about that if he wants to make the most out of it.

"I actually have a companion that can contribute significantly. She is not humanoid, yet thinks and acts for her own. I will introduce you to her later. What Ameiko says about healing is true. We will probably need it. I got my work here to take care off, at least until Bethana returns, but you can go over to the temple to see if there are anyone there who are looking for adventure? I have also heard that the tailor's apprentice knows some magic. Maybe he would be interested? I can talk to him once I get off from here. His name is Lukas. I will stay here until you come back. Who knows maybe someone wanting to go out hunting for goblins do show up through the course of the day?"
    Very well, I shall look for him as soon as I have fed agrees Ril as he retrieves some of the bread he had stored from last night's dinner. Thank you

Ril then begins to eat his nutritious -although not very flavorful- breakfast. During the first week since he had woken up, the ninja had learned all too well how the body began to fail if it was not properly fed and had since taken precautions never to skip meals.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thrane looks on as Ril gets his own bread for breakfeast. "You know, we make delicious food here. Why don't you try some of our stew for example?" He says with a conflicted voice. One the one hand he does not think it is appropriate to eat food that you bring yourself in the inn, but on the other side he does not want to offend the guy who just offered to join in exploring brinestump marsh and hunting for goblins.
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-07-22 at 01:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Thrane looks on as Rin gets his own bread for breakfeast. "You know, we make delicious food here. Why don't you try some of our stew for example?" He says with a conflicted voice. One the one hand he does not think it is appropriate to eat food that you bring yourself in the inn, but on the other side he does not want to offend the guy who just offered to join in exploring brinestump marsh and hunting for goblins.
    Ril looks at the young man for a while without responding, trying to understand the reason for his question.

Could it be that he was breaking some social covenant by not eating the man's food? The ninja was still not sure what all the proper ways to interact with people.

My apologies if I was impolite. replies Ril in a polite (although not very repentant) tone I was trying to be expedient in order to proceed with the search. I will eat whatever is available.

Anything else?

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thrane masterfully hides his surprise at the question. "Don't worry about it. You can eat whatever you want. Still we don't even know if we are going to find anyone to journey with us yet and if we do get to go we are going to need all the strength we can get. Stew is both more filling and taste better than just bread, though there is some matter of personal taste of course. The food is already made by Bethana earlier." Thrane's stomach takes the opportunity to rumble. "Speaking of food, I am quite hungry myself. I will eat with you even if you don't want stew. You can think while I go do what I am actually paid to be here for."

Thrane goes around to the other patrons to check if any of them need anything, drink or food, and serves them if needed. Then he heads over to the pot hanging over the fireplace. It is giving off a nice smell of fresh stew, thick and meaty. He fills one bowl and brings it over to Rin. "So do you want, or should I just eat myself?
    Last edited by oyzar; 2013-07-22 at 01:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lukas' mouth quirks in amusement.

Heh... he probably didn't even hear me, he's so interested in Varandriel and her armor. It is pretty impressive handiwork, the tailor thinks to himself. He takes a step to the side so that he's not awkwardly standing side-by-side with Varandriel while she and the silver-eyed man converse.

While he listens to the newcomer and Varandriel talking, Lukas tries to remember what he knows about the faith of Erastil, and mentally kicks himself for not spending more time studying religions. He'll have to rectify that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (religion) check: (1d20+5)[13]

30. - Top - End - #30

Flumph

He looks consecutively at the half-elf then the elf. « By the way, I am Ca’alash of the Elkbow, divine hunter of Erastil. I hope you won’t judge me too harshly for my abysmal lack of manners. » He winks at both.