New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mythos Homebrew Discussion II: Where Simplicity Goes to Die

Quote Originally Posted by commander panda View Post
    fair enough. i think i'll make this legendary after all.
    Splendiforous! The Bellator need more of those. (Speaking of that, I should probably finish my summoning and ultimate-showdown mythos for the Kathodos)

thats not exactly how it works. it lets the bellator spend her next move action early, to move/throw back the attack instead of activating her safe zone. it's not intended to activate off of her allies, but as it is currently worded this and the traveling bastion would end up meshing ridiculously well. i'll fix that. also, it doesn't interrupt the attack; everything is still on fire. the difference is that now everything includes Mr.Lich McWizard.
    Oh, well, in that case, I don't think that the Bellator should have to spend any action. (Other than an immediate)

do you mind pointing out exactly what gave you this impression so i can correct it?
    I see that you've changed it now to prevent ambiguity, but your first wording of that manifestation used the word 'reflect'. That's what gave me that impression.

thanks for this . its a bit more powerful than the old version, but then the old version was intended for fantastic tier. this works perfectly.
    You are quite welcome!

i actually wasn't aware of this feat. unfortunately, the point isn't really to improve your allies AC, it's to let you jump in the way and activate a safe zone, basically 'taking a bullet' for them. that said, i could definitely make it less confusing sounding by basing it off of DG. bear in mind again though, that this isn't necessarily meant to mesh with retributive tidal rush.
    The thing is, the benefits of Dutiful Guardian already let you 'take the bullet'. The problem is, you can only take the bullet for so many allies at any given time, and they all have to be within ~10 ft of you. Rather than creating an effect that is superior to and overlaps the benefits of Weakling-Saving Gallantry, why not just straight up buff it? (Note, I am a firm believer in Occam's Razor)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestfury View Post
    Why can't they double-up on boosts or strikes instead of using an additional strike and boost? Admittedly the doubling up would be stronger than the additional strike or boost. But doubling up is the capstone of the ToB base-classes. Save Crusader, as it doesn't have one. But I digress, if ToB double's up. Shouldn't the Bellator as the Zenith, be able to double up, but better?
    Well, first of all, nobody in ToB gets to double up strikes. And, power aside, doubling up just feels like a clumsy way to go about giving the Bellator more bang for it's buck.

I know the intention was not to have the passive strike allow higher-level mechanics, but I figured as the passive strike at level one was a Legendary Ability, so it made perfect sense to me to have the Exalted Ability allow you to take higher level strikes. Maybe I could reduce change it so your limit to level 2 only if your that scared. But I think making every attack an Emerald Razor or Insightful Strike won't make negate the 'lower level feat-based fighting styles', only enhance them. Hell at this level, Insightful Strike would be a nerf.
    Increasing it to level 2 would be appropriate for Exalted, I suppose, but not much higher than that. Insightful Strike was just an example. With the addition of homebrew disciplines, the sheer amount of options for your Passive Strike becomes pretty ridiculous, and the chances of finding a strike that makes your attacks completely ridiculous increase dramatically.

Having the level of Passive Strike increases seems to be a more natural progression to me, and increasing the number of active passive strikes in one of the basic manifestations already. So if I do change it to your suggestion, I'll have to think of a way to upgrade Mastery of the Basics in some way.
    You could always have Mastery of the Basics increase the DC of your maneuvers to 10+1/2 character level+higher of Str or Int. That'd certainly be a buff to low level maneuvers.

Overkill? No its not. Letting your strikes be affected by a low-level boost instead of a low-level strike, is not overkill. It simply allows you to have more flexibility in what you can apply as a boost, as well as giving you a second strike/boost to add to the attacks.
    Allow me to break down my thought process: Bellator not having any real need for swift actions + double up on Boosts + always-on Boost = Overkill. Swapping out your Passive Strike for a Passive Boost is a little bit of a rough transition, because Strikes activate as part of an attack and Boosts typically require a separate action to activate.

... The scaling is fine. If you have 8th level maneuvers, you can use a 5th level strike. Because 8-3 = five. Also, I know there is no such thing as 10th level maneuvers (though, wouldn't Epic Maneuvers count?), but I'm not putting in a cap to allow for flexibility for homebrew in case someone decides to make 10th level maneuvers.
    I disagree, because in the case of this mythos, there really is no scaling. When you take this Mythos, it is pretty much just an instant boost to the top of the maneuver ladder. You can't climb higher than ninth level maneuvers (Epic Maneuvers have no level), so basing something like this, that a Bellator gets at the end of their career, off of the highest level maneuvers they can use seems a bit silly, to me. Just picture the level of maneuvers you want and set it at that.

Actually, its meant to work with abilities like Knock-Down. You know, hit the enemy, get a free trip attempt, etc?
    Ah, well then it seems that I was confusing the two feats. Carry on.

[QUOTE=Tempestfury;17999269]Also. Kymme. What do you think to the Advanced Manifestation granting you both level 8 and level 9 maneuvers? Is that too much? Should I split it into two and make you pay to get the level 9 maneuvers, or should I limit it to level 8 only?

Ah, what the heck. Might as well keep the 8 and 9 increases together. Primarily because most disciplines only get 2 8th level maneuvers and 1 ninth level one, and typically they aren't that far apart in power level.

... I'm already referencing the Gunslinger. 3.5 doesn't have a Gunslinger. Its pretty darn obvious. Same with the Gunsmithing Feat.
    You are referencing the Gunslinger, which is a Pathfinder Class. You should call out somewhere that this particular mythos uses some of the Pathfinder rules, to avoid confusing people who only know 3.5.

2. - Top - End - #152

Okay... made some tweaks... hopefully their good to go into the document now.

Spoiler: Zeninth of the Nine Arts
    Show
    Zenith of the Nine Arts
    [Exalted]
    Requirements:
    The [Discipline]'s Roots Grow Deep

The Bellator’s understanding of the Disciples of the Sublime Way has reached its peak, rivaling even the legendary Reshar in his ability to use the powers of the Sublime Way... and perhaps you might grow to become even stronger.

You gain the seventh level maneuvers and stances of each disciple that you have taken with ‘‘The [Discipline]’s Stem Flourishes’. Additionally, you can make a strike or boost as a free action once per round, and make a counter as a free action once per round. For every 4 levels about level 20. You may make an addition strike/boost and counter as a free action per round.

Finally, the effects of The [Discipline]'s Roots Grow Deep applies to all disciplines that have taken up to The [Discipline]’s Stem Flourishes, and the Passive Strike can now be selected from any 2nd level strike. In addition, you may now use 2 Passive Strikes at once. For every 4 levels above level 20, you may may have an addition Passive Strike.

Basic

Mastery of the Basics - You may now use a 1st or 2nd level boost in addition to your passive strikes. Additionally, 3rd level maneuvers no longer have saves - their effects happen automatically.

Opportunity Exploitation - Whenever you make an attack of opportunity, you may use a 5th level strike instead of a normal attack.

Sublime Combat Fusion - Whenever you use a martial strike, you may make a free feint, trip, disarm, sunder or bull rush attempt before or after the strike. If you have the ability to make a free check after hitting an enemy, you instead gain a bonus to the check equal to your Bellator level/2.

Advanced

The Sublime Way - You may now use all eight and ninth level stances and maneuvers instead of only seventh level maneuvers and stances granted by this mythos.

Spoiler: Blazing Thunder Style
    Show
    Blazing Thunder Style
    [Exceptional]
    Special: This feat uses martial from Pathfinder as its basis instead of 3.5

You gain Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

Additionally, you gain a battered firearm of your choice. Similarly to the Gunslinger’s firearm. Everyone else treats the firearm as being broken, and if already broken they cannot use it at all. However, unlike the Gunslinger’s firearm, you may fix the gun, removing the battered condition at level six.

When wielding a firearm and attacking an enemy within penetration range, you may add your dexterity modifier to the damage rolls. Whenever a firearm misfires and gains the broken condition, you may spend a standard action to fix it.

Basic
    Staining the Air Black - You gain the Rapid Reload feat for free, at level 6, you may double the effect of Rapid Reload. Whenever you fire a firearm more than once a round against an enemy within penetration range, you may fire an extra shot at that enemy.

One Shot, One Kill - The range of your firearm is doubled, and its base damage is increased as if it was one size larger. Whenever you manage to fell an enemy in a single shot, you may reload your firearm as a free action.

Advanced
    Calculation Aiming - Instead of Dexterity, you may use your Intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls using firearms.

Flashy Double Firing - You gain Two-Weapon Fighting for free, even if you don’t meet the prerequisites. You can treat Pistols as a light-weapon whenever beneficial.

Supreme Penetration - Whenever you attack an enemy within penetration range, you may ignore an amount of DR equal to your Dexterity modifier If you have the Calculation Aiming mythos, you may instead use your Intelligence modifier

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Blazing Thunder Style
    Show
    [B]Blazing Thunder Style
    [Exceptional]

You gain Gunsmithing (Pathfinder, UC) as a bonus feat.

Additionally, you gain a battered firearm of your choice. Similarly to the Gunslinger’s firearm. Everyone else treats the firearm as being broken, and if already broken they cannot use it at all. However, unlike the Gunslinger’s firearm, you may fix the gun, removing the battered condition at level six.

When wielding a firearm and attacking an enemy within penetration range, you may add your dexterity modifier to the damage rolls. Whenever a firearm misfires and gains the broken condition, you may spend a standard action to fix it.

Basic
    Staining the Air Black - You gain the Rapid Reload feat for free, at level 6, you may double the effect of Rapid Reload. Whenever you fire a firearm more than once a round against an enemy within penetration range, you may fire an extra shot at that enemy.

One Shot, One Kill - The range of your firearm is doubled, and its base damage is increased as if it was one size larger. Whenever you manage to fell an enemy in a single shot, you may reload your firearm as a free action.

Advanced
    Calculation Aiming - Instead of Dexterity, you may use your Intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls using firearms.

Double-Down Pistolaro- You gain Two-Weapon Fighting for free, even if you don’t meet the prerequisites. You can treat Pistols as a light-weapon whenever beneficial.

Supreme Penetration - Whenever you attack an enemy within penetration range, you may ignore an amount of DR equal to your Dexterity modifier. If you have the Calculation Aiming mythos, you may instead use your Intelligence modifier for this purpose.
    Try this instead? After all, some feats you mention are also in Pathfinder and are changed slightly, if I recall correctly.

4. - Top - End - #154

Nyeh, sure. That works.

5. - Top - End - #155

ok, so i redid the last manifestation of my Wave Breaking Barrier Defiance mythos. anyone have any final thoughts? otherwise i'm gonna call this one done.

Spoiler: Legendary
    Show
    Wave Breaking Barrier Defiance
    Prerequisite: Guarding Vallation Style

Whenever the Bellator is wielding a shield of heavy weight or larger, and makes a reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she may substitute her dexterity modifier for her strength, and add her shield bonus to the save. If she succeeds on the reflex save the Bellator takes no damage from the attack, as if she possessed the Evasion class feature.
    Whenever the Bellator blocks this manner of attack, she can use her shield to repel some of the danger away from herself and her allies, creating a zone of relative safety from harm; within this area, all creatures are considered to have passed their reflex save for half damage (even if they would normally be unable to attempt the save, for instance due to unconsciousness.) If the creatures the Bellator is defending actually do pass the save DC, regardless of help from the safe zone, they instead take no damage as if they had the Improved Evasion class feature.
    The size and shape of this safe zone depends greatly upon the attack the Bellator is warding off. If the attack is a cone or spherical in shape, the safe zone will be cone shaped, and if the attack takes the form of a cylinder, the safe zone is a line. If the attack is a line, it simply stops at the Bellator. The length of the safe zone is always the length of the initial attack, and always leads away from it's point of origin, starting at the Bellator's occupied squares.
    The Bellator now also adds her shield bonus to her touch AC.

Basic Manifestations
    Retributive Tidal Rush
    Prerequisite:-
    If the Bellator successfully avoids damage from an AoE attack using her shield, and the adversary who launched the attack is within half her base move distance, she may spend her move action for the next round as an immediate action to rush at her opponent and push some of the attack back at him.
    When the Bellator attempts a maneuver like this, she completely forgoes the creation of her safe zone for the round (meaning the area attack will proceed as normal and effect her allies, regardless of her success. She still maintains her own her own defences, though.) As the Bellator moves she invokes attacks of opportunity as normal from everyone but the subject of her attack. At the end of her movement the Bellator makes a bash attack with her shield. If it hits, the area attack the Bellator just blocked is is expanded to include her target, and he must make his own reflex save (using the bellator's DC) against the attack.

Ocean Polished Mirror Defence
    Prerequisite:-
    The Bellator may reflect ranged touch attacks that failed to overcome her Armor Class a number of times per round equal to the higher of her Dexterity or Intelligence modifiers. To reflect the attack, the Bellator may either take her opponent's attack roll or make an attack roll of her own, using her opponent's attack bonus. This attack may target any creature the Bellator wishes, recalculating maximum range as if the Bellator were the attacks point of origin.

Beware The Traveling Bastion
    Prerequisite: Weakling-Saving Gallantry manifestation of Guarding Vallation Style mythos
    The range of the Bellator's Constant Guardian feat is extended to include the Bellator's threatened squares (not counting threatened squares gained via reach or larger than normal weapons) and the benefits of the Dutiful Guardian feat now apply if the beneficiary is facing an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful reflex save.
    If the feat's beneficiary is unable to legally occupy the Bellators's previous square, he is simply pushed back from the spell's point of origin until he is on a square where the Bellator can stand between them. if that is also impossible, the Bellator simply occupies the same square as her beneficiary.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-08-29 at 02:12 PM.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems alright to me, except for one thing. 5 ft is not a whole lot of extra range, and this IS a Legendary Mythos after all. I'd say that the range of CG should be increased by the Bellator's melee reach. And if that seems like too much, then maybe just increase it by half reach (rounding down to the nearest increment of five).

I've been thinking about some more blasty-type mythos for the Kathodos. What would you guys say to an excellencythat enhances Wrathful Dragon-Shot by giving it the Power Surge feat from Dragon #313 and one Metabreath feat of the Kathodos' choice (that they qualify for), as well as letting them use their Dexterity in place of Constitution for meeting pre-requisites for Metabreath feats?

And then I'd probably put in a Legendary Mythos that lets the Kathodos use Breath Effects like the Dragonfire Adept.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Seems alright to me, except for one thing. 5 ft is not a whole lot of extra range, and this IS a Legendary Mythos after all. I'd say that the range of CG should be increased by the Bellator's melee reach. And if that seems like too much, then maybe just increase it by half reach (rounding down to the nearest increment of five).
    bear in mind that this rang increase stacks with he one from Weakling-Saving Gallantry. might still be to short though. what do you mean by melee reach? it sounds like you mean threatened squares, but then the idea of letting the belletor move farther becaus he's holding a spear seems a bit weird to me .

maybe a number of additional squares equal to int? that might be too much though.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-08-29 at 12:04 PM.

.... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

bear in mind that this rang increase stacks with he one from Weakling-Saving Gallantry. might still be to short though. what do you mean by melee reach? it sounds like you mean threatened squares, but then the idea of letting the belletor move farther becaus he's holding a spear seems a bit weird to me .

maybe a number of additional squares equal to int? that might be too much though.
    Oh, my bad. I forgot that Weakling-Saving Gallantry increases the range of CG based on size.

And I wasn't really thinking about reach weapons. That's kind of kiddie stuff when the Bellator is concerned. I meant stuff like 'Step, Step, Cut' and 'Standing Against the Horde', both of which increase the Bellator's reach by letting them:

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    ...take a few quick steps, strike, and return to your starting space with exceptional swiftness.

9. - Top - End - #159

Oh, my bad. I forgot that Weakling-Saving Gallantry increases the range of CG based on size.

And I wasn't really thinking about reach weapons. That's kind of kiddie stuff when the Bellator is concerned. I meant stuff like 'Step, Step, Cut' and 'Standing Against the Horde', both of which increase the Bellator's reach by letting them:
    hmm.... i guess i could use that. i know you weren't really thinking of reach weapons, but it seemed like an easy exploit that needed to be brought up. i guess i could just say that it doesn't stack with reach weapons. does handling larger than normal weapons ever increase reach? because that seems like something that i should cover as well.

Edit: made changes. any new thoughts?
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-08-29 at 01:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Giving the Kathados a super-breath fits and would be nice to play.

11. - Top - End - #161

i'm not going to have much interest in the kathodos until its fully playable, but if it doesn't already have breath weapons and metabreath feats it needs them now.

btw Kymme, my updated version of F*** chivalry is finished, if you want to swap out the one in your mythos document.

i'll repost it for convenience
    Spoiler: exceptional
    Show
    The Crooked Fist Of Pragmatism
    prerequisites: -

The Bellator has become adept at attacking her foes in ways they can neither easily predict nor easily defend against. Whenever the Bellator hits an enemy who is denied their dexterity bonus to their AC, she deals a number of d4s in bonus damage based on her class level. This maneuver is not precision damage and works on enemies that would normally be immune to techniques like sneak attack.
    This mythos is considered equivalent to sneak attack for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes and for determining her effectiveness against enemies with uncanny dodge.
    Bellator level Bonus Die
    Level 1 1d4
    Level 3 2d4
    Level 5 3d4
    Level 7 4d4
    Level 9 5d4
    Level 11 6d4
    Level 13 7d4
    Level 15 8d4
    Level 17 9d4
    Level 19 10d4

basic
    Nerve-Ending Confluence Crush
    The Bellator knows very well where to hit a man so it hurts.
    As a standard action (but not part of a full attack) the Bellator may preform a special unarmed attack to strike her opponent where it really really hurts. If the Belletor is not proficient with unarmed strikes, the attack invokes AoO's and deal nonlethal damage as normal. No damage is dealt if the attack lands successfully, but the target must make a fort save or be rendered flat footed for a number of rounds equal to half the Bellator's strength modifier, even if its nonlethal damage doesn't exactly equal its current hit points. If the Bellator kicks him again before he recovers, the time is reset and he is also staggerd, even if its nonlethal damage doesn't exactly equal its current hit points.
    This attack can only be used on enemies with a discernible anatomy who feel pain. undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures are unaffected.
    despite the name, this strike is not limited to nut shots, and is therefore not limited to men. If used against a women, the Bellator might just give her a strong kick to the stomach, so she keels over.

Ground And Pound
    The bellator gains Improved Grappling as a bonus feat.
    Once the Bellator has pinned an enemy to the floor during a grapple, she can attack with light and one handed weapons, draw weapons while pinning and escape another's grapple while pinning. Attacks while grappling no longer incur a -4 penalty. Any round in which the Bellator strikes a pinned and struggling opponent, they take a penalty on their escape artist and grapple checks, equal to her strength modifier.
    Finally, while the Bellator's opponent is pinned, he does not gain his dexterity modifier to his AC against her attacks.

Concealed Sword In Silt Offensive
    If the Bellator is standing on loose and moveable ground (sand, mud, gravel, sewage, water, ect) she can kick the loose material into an opponents square within her natural reach, avoidable with a reflex saving throw, as an attack action. If her opponent fails the save the muck gets in his eyes, and everyone he sees is treated as having partial concealment from him until he takes a full round to remove the grime (this provokes an attack of opportunity.) the target needs to actually rely on their eyes to be effected.
    Obviously, if the material used would have other negative effects on contact with the Bellator's target, such as acid, they are also applied if the attack hits.
    The Bellator's enemy does not gain his dexterity modifier to his AC until he clears his eyes.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-08-29 at 06:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Would be nice to see it finished.

13. - Top - End - #163

ok, so i'm just making some minor edits to my Pin And Bug Restrainment mythos. i actualy like some of the stuff kymme did with this one, but disagree with others. its more or less the same as the original, though.

Spoiler: fantastic
    Show
    Pin And Bug Restrainment
    prerequisites:-

As standard action, while wielding either a piercing weapon or a weapon that could conceivably do piercing damage (such as a longsword,) the Bellator can attempt to drive her weapon through her opponent and pin them to a nearby surface. This surface can be an adjacent wall/pillar/etc, the floor, and any other surface deemed reasonable by the DM. (for example, the DM could rule that it would be possible for a Bellator to pin someone's hand to a table with a dagger, but only if the hand was already on said table.)
    to use this attack, the Bellator must first declare their intention to do so. the target may attempt a reflex save to avoid being pinned in place. regardless of weather the manuver works, the attack will deal half damage. If successful, the opponent cannot move out of their square, and takes the initial damage dealt again whenever they attempt a reflex saving throw (which they take a -10 on.)
    This ability stays in effect as long as the weapon pinning the target stays embedded in both them and the surface behind them. Removing the Bellator's weapon deals the initial damage all over again.

basic
    Hammer And Nail Body Security
    when the bellator nails down her foe, she has the option to make a strength check and add half her class level to drive her weapon deeper. Whenever someone attempts to remove the weapon they must beat the strength check to be successful. damage is dealt to the pinned person regardless of whether the check is beat or not.

Rough And Tumble Acupuncture
    When stabbing her blade through a fool, the Bellator has the option no do no damage, or nonlethal damage, rather then the normal half damage. This could be done by simply pinning their clothes to a wall, or the Bellator could slide her blade smoothly between muscle and bone in a way that barley makes her target bleed. Her choice.

advanced
    Corpse Stacking Needle Charge
    Gain Improved Bullrush as a bonus feat. If she already has that, the Bellator is now considered one size larger for the purpose of making bullrush checks.
    The Bellator's unsettling talent for nailing her adversaries in place reaches new heights, as she learns fresh and exiting ways to trap enemies on the blade of her sword.
    Whenever the Bellator successfully lands a Pin And Bug Restrainment strike, rather then run her weapon into a nearby surface and trap the fool, she can make an immediate bullrush attempt to push him in the direction of her choice. If successful, the Bellator can follow along with her opponent and keep him impaled on her blade, moving him at a rate of 5 ft for every 1 point by which she beat his opposing strength check. If, on their way, the two enter another creatures square, the Bellator can make an additional bullrush attempt against them too. if that succeeds, they are also impaled, and come along for the ride (do not recalculate distance for new enemies.) At the end of her turn, regardless of how far she travels, the Bellator must drive her weapon into a surface and pin her new friends.

Big Game Bug Hunting
    Gain Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot as bonus feats.
    The Bellator may now use the Pin And Bug Restrainment mythos, and its assorted manifestations, with ranged piercing weapons (excluding weapons with extremely fine ammunition, like a sling or pistol.)
    If the Bellator attempts to use Corpse Stacking Needle Charge in this manner she does not need to move into her opponents space, nor move with her opponent. However, she can only move her opponent directly away from her, and only in a straight line; any ability that would normally allow the Bellator to move during a bull rush does not apply if she is using a ranged weapon. Enemies moved in this manner move at a rate of 5 ft for every two points by which the Bellator beats their strength check.
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-08-29 at 07:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

@Tempestfury

In that case, I'll get right on it.

@commander panda

I'll put those in the Mythos doc post-haste!

15. - Top - End - #165

Concerning the Kathados and metabreath feats, they don't work. The Kathados can do elemental damage in a cone, its just not a breath weapon. Overwhelming Dragon-Suspire and Wrathful Dragon-Shot don't have a time between breathes measured in rounds so they can't benefit from metabreath feats. Currently, the only way to boost the damage from the cone or the basic blast is the 'frak the undead' excellency I posted a while ago. It'd be fairly easy to apply the Dragonfire Adept's breath effects to the Kathados, but several would be largely pointless as an already existent mythos exists to cover them.

I haven't really been doing any homebrew based on WDS and ODS, though perhaps some of the Warlock's essence invocations could also be mined. On that note, what would you think of a mythos that let you make iterative attacks with WDS? That would be relatively quick to bang out compared to the problem's I've had wording Current Controlling Caliph and making All-Sky Sovereign special.

16. - Top - End - #166

@commander panda

I'll put those in the Mythos doc post-haste!
    the you kindly, good sir.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Concerning the Kathados and metabreath feats, they don't work. The Kathados can do elemental damage in a cone, its just not a breath weapon. Overwhelming Dragon-Suspire and Wrathful Dragon-Shot don't have a time between breathes measured in rounds so they can't benefit from metabreath feats. Currently, the only way to boost the damage from the cone or the basic blast is the 'frak the undead' excellency I posted a while ago. It'd be fairly easy to apply the Dragonfire Adept's breath effects to the Kathados, but several would be largely pointless as an already existent mythos exists to cover them.

I haven't really been doing any homebrew based on WDS and ODS, though perhaps some of the Warlock's essence invocations could also be mined. On that note, what would you think of a mythos that let you make iterative attacks with WDS? That would be relatively quick to bang out compared to the problem's I've had wording Current Controlling Caliph and making All-Sky Sovereign special.
    First of all, what are Current Controlling Caliph and All-Sky Sovereign? Are those two Mythos you've got in the works? If so, I'd love to see them.

My good sir, it seems you haven't heard of the most amazing feat ever: Power Surge. In short, this little gem (found in the 313th issue of Dragon Magazine) lets you put some additional 'tiny buffs' onto a supernatural ability that you can use more than 3/day, in exchange for giving the ability a 1 round recharge.

So, yeah. They do work. I absolutely adore DFAs (probably my favorite class, outside of Arcane variant Swordsage), and I run that feat on pretty much every single one I play.

18. - Top - End - #168

First of all, what are Current Controlling Caliph and All-Sky Sovereign? Are those two Mythos you've got in the works? If so, I'd love to see them.

My good sir, it seems you haven't heard of the most amazing feat ever: Power Surge. In short, this little gem (found in the 313th issue of Dragon Magazine) lets you put some additional 'tiny buffs' onto a supernatural ability that you can use more than 3/day, in exchange for giving the ability a 1 round recharge.

So, yeah. They do work. I absolutely adore DFAs (probably my favorite class, outside of Arcane variant Swordsage), and I run that feat on pretty much every single one I play.
    Dragon Magazine? Honestly, no, I don't count Dragon Magazine. I don't have access to it, and know little of what is in it. It may be appropriate to create a mythos that does something similar, but I'm not concerned at the moment about the blasting mythos.

Current Controlling Caliph and All-Sky Sovereign* are indeed mythos I am making.** CCC is a prerequisite for All-Sky Sovereign and deals with wind manipulation when above water and water manipulation when underwater. CCC is basically a battlefield control mythos, while All-Sky Sovereign is weather control. I know what I want for CCC, I'm just stumbling on the wording.

*I only now noticed that I can't abbreviate All-Sky Sovereign on this forum.
    **Making very slowly.

19. - Top - End - #169

ok, i have been meaning to do this for ages. here is a rewrite of all my old excellencies. i scraped the ones that i though were to much like weak exceptional mythos and tried to make them more passive, overall (for the most part.) i added a new one too.

also, @kymme, i really really liked a lot of the changes you made to the excellencies of mine you put in your mythos documents, and may have flagrantly ripped them off. just so you know .

i dont expect a blow by blow review of these from anyone, but comments would be appreciated.

Spoiler: excellencies
    Show
    Short Haft, Long Haft
    Prerequisites: combat reflexes feat

If the Bellator is wielding a reach weapon that would normally not threaten her adjacent squares, she can now switch between treating it as a reach weapon and having it threaten her adjacent squares as a swift action.
    If she is wielding a weapon that can do bonus damage when it is set against a charge, she can now set it as an immediate action

Imposing General's Command

Whenever the Bellator issues an order to a subordinate (meaning a cohort, follower, hireling, or really anyone who considers her "the boss.") they benefit from a moral on D20 rolls equal to one fourth the Bellator's class level until the task is carried out. the task must be something achievable in one hour, such as "storm that castle", "steal this trinket", or "seduce that monster".
    These benefits are only available only as long as the subordinate is actively working to carry out the Bellator's orders.

'Elementary' Battle Discernment
    Prerequisites: 5 ranks in spot, int 13

For the Bellator, war is like the written tongue. It's meanings are hinted in the scars of crippled veterans and the ashes of burnt out wheat fields, but where the words are most clearly read is on field of battle, where whole stories are written of their own accord.
    When the Bellator comes across a place where at least 2 creatures have been fighting she can spend (1d10-intelligence modifier) minutes inspecting the area, and discern the following details:
    -The creature types of the combatants. This works on all creature types but outsiders and intelligent undead, since they usually have similar bodies and mannerisms to other, more common, creature types.
    -Who won. This can be on either a personal scale between a few people, or on the scale of a full battle.
    -A vague guess at the skill of the combatants. the Bellator is only able to discern the levels of the combatants within these categories.

Combatant Level/hit dice
    Level 1-5
    Level 6-10
    Level 11-15
    Level 16-20

If the Bellator is of level 20 or higher, she can expand the above table to include levels 21-30, then 31-40 and so on as she hits the ascending caps.

Riding Lightning
    Prerequisites: 6 ranks in Ride and handle animal

The Bellator is an expert rider, and knows better than most how to push a mount too, and beyond, it's limits. Whenever the Bellator is in the saddle, her mount gains a boost to it's base land speed (and flight/swim/climb speed, if it has any of those) equal to 10ft/Bellator level. The Bellator's mount also knows how to use its speed to pass by danger unmolested. The mount gains a bonus to AC and reflex saves equal to +1/10ft moved in it's previous turn, and gains the evasion class feature in any round that it has moved at least 40ft.

Adrenaline Fuelled Battle Sustenance
    Prerequisites:-

Whenever the Bellator downs an enemy in combat with a number of hit dice equal to or greater than her's she gains her class level in temporary hit points. When she down an enemy below with hit dice below her's, she gains half her level in temporary hit points.
    These temporary hit points will stack on each other up to a sum of 10 applications, and she can only hit the cap once; after that point she stops gaining temporary hit points for the remainder of the encounter. the hit points will remain until ten minutes after the encounter ends, at which point the Bellator comes down from her massive adrenaline rush and all the damage dealt comes rushing back to her.
    This excellency will not trigger unless the combined hit dice of all enemies involved are at least equal to her own.

The Warrior's Reputation Precedes Her
    Prerequisites: Bellator level 5

Wherever the Bellator goes, her reputation precedes her. All NPC's she interacts with who could realistically have heard of her are moved one category up or down the attitude scale (it should usually be up, but there may be places where the Bellator is seen unfavourably.) If the Bellator has been especially helpful or active in a certain area, the people there may be moved up or down two categories, instead of one.
    If a Bellator has an inherently negative reputation it does not necessarily mean that people will be moved down the attitude scale. They may volunteer to help the Bellator out of fear, as much as respect or love.
    This effect can be negated by concealing the Bellator's identity, for instance by using a bluff or disguise check.

All Seeing Sentinel Eyes

The Bellator is a guard when she needs to be, and when she undertakes such a task none can pass her un-noticed.
    Any time when the Bellator is standing still and not taking any actions, she may choose to benefit from dark-vision, tremor-sense and see invisibility out to a range of 100ft+10ft/int modifier. The Bellator may not focus on anything other than her watching while using this ability, and will tune out any unconcerning distraction (such as casual speech or random peasants at work) as if it wasn't there.
    Using this ability in combat takes a full round action and disallows swift immediate or free actions. Obviously this provokes attacks of opportunity.
    The Bellator may choose to ready an action one round, then activate her All Seeing Sentinel Eyes in the following round and keep it active while holding the action, but she will lose the excellencie's benefits when she releases the action.

Ungental Man-Handling Chastisement

The Bellator no longer takes a -4 penalty for dealing non lethal damage with a lethal weapon.
    In edition, anyone she has non-lethally beat to half their total hit points, within the past 24 hours, can be cowed just with the threat of further punishment. The Bellator gains bonus to intimidate checks against such individuals equal to her intelligence modifier.

EDIT: @Kymme ok, i just hunted down my mythos within your document, and wanted to thank you again. its nice to see them next to all the other mythos in a place where they wont get lost.
    i do have one pedantic and slightly vain request though. could i get my name next to pin and bug restrainment? i go a bit OCD about consistent titling.

EDIT, EDIT: thanks!
    Last edited by commander panda; 2014-08-29 at 10:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Dragon Magazine? Honestly, no, I don't count Dragon Magazine. I don't have access to it, and know little of what is in it. It may be appropriate to create a mythos that does something similar, but I'm not concerned at the moment about the blasting mythos.

Current Controlling Caliph and All-Sky Sovereign* are indeed mythos I am making.** CCC is a prerequisite for All-Sky Sovereign and deals with wind manipulation when above water and water manipulation when underwater. CCC is basically a battlefield control mythos, while All-Sky Sovereign is weather control. I know what I want for CCC, I'm just stumbling on the wording.

*I only now noticed that I can't abbreviate All-Sky Sovereign on this forum.
    **Making very slowly.
    Ah, well, to each their own. I'm just using Xefas' suggestion of finding mechanics to suit what you're looking for. I think that applying Metabreath feats is a good way to increase power and versatility on the Kathodos' few blasting mythos, and Power Surge is the feat to tie it all together.

Also, I like the concept of CCC and All-Sky Sovereign. (*snrk*) That little fact has probably just made my day.

Please, feel free to send 'em my way if you'd like a second opinion on them.

21. - Top - End - #171

I do go with that advice generally, although Fundament Invoking Behest is the main example of the mythos I have released. All-Sky Sovereign and Life-Water Benediction both cleave closer to preexisting mechanics than many of the mythos I have released so far.

As to my comments on Dragon Magazine, I simply have no access to it and little interest in hunting it down.

22. - Top - End - #172

btw, Kymme, there's no rush or anything but if you could swap out the excellencies of mine in your document for the new ones that would be great.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

btw, Kymme, there's no rush or anything but if you could swap out the excellencies of mine in your document for the new ones that would be great.
    As you wish.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey! Guess what? Epithymia got a new Mythos!

Spoiler: Dunno. Thinking Legendary
    Show
    Phantom Echo of Avarice
    Prerequisites: -

When you take this Mythos, you disappear from history. Your name, face and deeds performed vanish not only from memory, but from all places. Letters with your true name, paintings (or other images) of you or tapestries representing your deeds become damaged, irrevocably lost or otherwise rendered unrecognisable. Your "Truename" (As per ToM) does not cease to be, but "changes" to be little more than a vague sound, making it impossible to use it to identify you (But that doesn't stop people who are right in front of you from affecting you with Truenaming. Their mind just doesn't make the link between that sound and you if they're not looking at you).

The exception to all of this, of course, are acts of thievery. Although they will forgot "who" did it, no one's going to forget that the Emperor's grand safe had been opened and the crown jewels had been taken, for example. You will be forgotten, but remembered by what you stole.

This does not only affect the past, but the future as well. People who see you will forget you existed, depending on your level of contact. A guard who caught sight of you for a few moments is going to forget you were ever there almost as soon as you turn the corner. But a man you've viscously tortured for several days is going to be able to describe you. In VERY general terms, of course (Such as, "man", "short hair" and "pale skin".). Family members (Or other people YOU tell your true name to, such as fellow Party Members) will still be able to recognise you.

This ability is also useful in a fight (As hinted at above). Enemies who are not actively focused on you* "forget" you're there. This is effectively Total Concealment, except that your enemies cannot purposefully attack random squares in an attempt to find you. AoE's targeted at others can still hit you (You are physically there, after all), but you still get the benefits of the Miss Chance. This is not "true" concealment so you cannot use it to make Hide Checks.

Your opponents still "know" that you're there they just don't know where, unless they're looking at you. As such, combat won't end as soon as attention is shifted from you, they do remember enough to try and find you. Once an opponent has lost track of you, it must spend a Standard Action to try to "find" you again, provided that they are able to focus on you. If an opponent cannot find you after 1d3+1 turns, then if forgets you exist at all.

*This includes, but is not limited to: Not having Line of Sight to you, engaging in Melee combat with someone else, making a Ranged attack or casting a Single Target Spell against someone else and all Standard and Full Round actions that provoke AoOs that are not targeted at you.

Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2014-09-05 at 11:40 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The Umbramendax: Mythic Rogue

I made this.

It's reasonably complete up until level 13 (where you start to gain Legendary Mythos), but I'm running out of ideas to add. :p

PEACH please.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

im part way through a rather large mythos, im wanting a second opinion on it before I finish manifestations just to make sure there are no glaring errors or abusable uses for it.

Creeping flesh-fortress (legendery)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perquisites: (to be decided)
    As a full round action, you may spend 50 graft points to produce a ‘flesh node’ a small ball of unusual matter that is anchored to the ground by tendrils that is placed in an area within the Kreikiri’s reach. This node produces a thick carpet of material similar to strands of butchered or necrotic flesh over any surface it is on, including up walls and ceilings, that expands 5ft outwards in all directions for every 12 hours that the flesh node exists until the mass covers a 60ft radius in all directions from its point of origin. Once it has expanded to this point it slows to spreading 5ft every d6 days. You may concentrate as a full round action to grant yourself 5ft blindsight from everywhere this material grows (as long as it is sourced from your flesh nodes rather than another Kreikiries), including across planes.

This fleshy material and the flesh nodes themselves may be destroyed through a sunder combat manoeuvre. The standard material has 10hp/inch and a hardness of 5. The nodes have 10hp +10 for every Kreikiri level you have and have a hardness of 10. Should the node be destroyed the material they support will begin to deteriorate by having all squares of the material be destroyed at a rate of 1hp/minute to all squares within 5ft of the nodes prior position, and then once they are destroyed, affecting all the squares within 5ft of those positions, and so on until all of the material is destroyed or the space overlaps that of another node. In addition to the above the flesh node and the matter it produces possess a vulnerability to fire.

By default the material produced will spread on a horizontal plane until it reaches a point where it must travel vertically in either direction, and keep spreading, and has a default thickness of an inch where it has spread. You can influence the material by spending a minute in concentration and choosing one of the following options:
    • The material may be made thickener or thinner by one inch.

• The area may grow 1ft in a direction of your choice, including straight up, in which case a small inch thick wall begins to form that can be thickened with additional applications of this option, or even across open spaces.

• May harden the material, which increases its HP/inch to 30 and its hardness becomes 10, but prevents further growth from that point. Each use of this affects the most external one-inch layer of the material on that square. Reversing this is preformed identically to originally applying this effect. This hardened material may be worked like metal and often resembles a carapace of some creature or similar form.

• May alter a 5ft area to contain a simple mechanism that allows for the opening or closing of a gap in the material. Possible uses include creating doors, chests, windows, ect. These may only be opened or closed by you and those you choose to allow. Doing so is a mental action that uses up a swift action.
    The effect takes 2d4 hours to apply and at any given use you may only affect a number of individual 5ft squares equal to your level but the same square may be affected more than once/use. Each time you apply one of these effects it resets the time until the area next grows.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Phantom Echo of Avarice
    Cool! This is thematic, powerful, everything a Legendary mythos should be. I think you've hit the nail right on the head with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by (int) darkness View Post
    The Umbramendax: Mythic Rogue

I made this.

It's reasonably complete up until level 13 (where you start to gain Legendary Mythos), but I'm running out of ideas to add. :p

PEACH please.
    Yay! I love me some Mythos rogue type stuff. I'll see if I can post on your thread with critiques for the individual Mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadNecro5 View Post
    Creeping Flesh-Fortress
    So, at the moment, it lets you pull a Song of Saya (MEAT. EVERYWHERE.) and gain limited omnipresence in your little flesh-world? Looks good to me. Can't wait to see what kinds of shenanigans the manifestations let you pull.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Yay! I love me some Mythos rogue type stuff. I'll see if I can post on your thread with critiques for the individual Mythos.
    Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

29. - Top - End - #179

Question, for the The [Disciples] Root's Grow Deep, where it mentions the 'discipline’s initial feat', is it talking about homebrew disciplines that require a feat to be taken, or are they talking about feats like Ironheart Aura? (For Iron Heart obv.)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Question, for the The [Disciples] Root's Grow Deep, where it mentions the 'discipline’s initial feat', is it talking about homebrew disciplines that require a feat to be taken, or are they talking about feats like Ironheart Aura? (For Iron Heart obv.)
    Ironheart Aura, Desert Wind Dodge, Stone Power, all that jazz. I couldn't really think of an existing term for it, so I made one up.