Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Search for the Sky [OOC]

Welcome to the The Search For the Sky OOC thread!

This post will be the site of most of the important information throughout the game, including links to maps, the encounter tracker, and initiative. I'll post new information as we go, but this post will be your one-stop-shop.

Everyone check in. Include your character sheet (a link is preferred, but text is acceptable if necessary), voice color, an image for the battle map, and theme/background information. I'll have the IC up once everyone is checked in.

Players:
    Player Character Color Class Theme Status
    Irish Musician Firtha Godshammer Blue Avenger|Cleric Ordained Priest
    Biapolis Vistra Ashenhand Purple Executioner|Rogue Explorer
    Echobeats Dvergula Red Vampire Student of Evard
    Storm Vermin Aldrik Stonemark Green Knight Guardian
    tlbergman Dewin Forskar Turquoise Wizard Order Adept
    shimeran X
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2014-08-05 at 12:33 AM.
    "I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up."

My games:
    The Search of the Sky | DM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Search for the Sky [OOC]

I give you, Firtha Godshammer, Deep Gnome orphaned in the Underdark and picked up by the leader of her now clan, Bronzeban Godshammer, High Paladin of Moradin and Grandmaster Smith. And she will take blue for her speech.

Firtha Godshammer, Enforcer of Moradin's Might

She was trained in all aspects of Moradin's church, and has cross trained as an Avenger, Cleric, and priest. But of course her adopted father being who he is, she runs into combat swinging her hammer and yelling at her enemies about Moradin's wrath and how she is going to beat them down into chunky mustard.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Inc

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Spoiler: Mannerisms
    Show
    Firtha knows, obviously, that she is not a native dwarf....but that doesn't mean she is any less stubborn or any less of a spitfire because of it. Firtha was raised by her father, Bronzeban, to be a strong warrior of Moradin and her personality reflects that. She has even picked up the dialect that her clan tends to speak with. But she is a good, pure soul...even if she is a bit rough around the edges.
    Awesome Half elf/half Demon Avenger by Dakaran

LGBTAIitp
    Ally

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Vistra Ashenhand, Dwarven assassin, scout, and general sneaky lady.

She'll be talking in purple.

Spoiler: Pic
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dvergula, Revenant (Mul) Vampire

Spoiler: Character sheet
    Show
    Dvergula, level 8
    Revenant, Vampire
    Choose your Race in Life: Mul
    Theme: Student of Evard
    Background: Custom (+2 to saving throws vs. dazed)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 14, DEX 20, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 14

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Ref: 22 Will: 22
    HP: 61 Surges: 2 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
    Bluff +13, Intimidate +15, Stealth +14, Thievery +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +9, Arcana +3, Athletics +4, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +8, Heal +5, History +3, Insight +5, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +3, Streetwise +8

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Student of Evard Attack: Essence of Death
    Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
    Vampire Attack: Blood Drinker
    Mul Racial Power: Incredible Toughness
    Vampire Attack 1: Swarm of Shadows
    Vampire Attack 1: Dark Beckoning
    Vampire Attack 1: Taste of Life
    Vampire Attack 1: Vampire Slam
    Student of Evard Utility 2: Dark Focus
    Vampire Attack 3: Feral Assault
    Vampire Utility 4: Strength of Blood
    Vampire Attack 5: Unfettered Hunger
    Vampire Utility 6: Form of the Bat

FEATS
    Math fix: Implement Expertise (Ki Focuses)
    Math fix: Improved Defenses
    Level 1: Past Soul
    Level 2: Mul's Stamina
    Level 4: Disciple of Death
    Level 6: Unarmored Agility
    Level 8: Superior Implement Training (Serene ki focus)

ITEMS
    Devastating Serene ki focus +2 x1
    Haunted Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
    Periapt of Recovery +2 x1
    Last Sight Vision
    Rebounding Dejada +2 x1

I will edit in power/feat/item etc. descriptions gradually.

Show
    Dvergula was born centuries ago from a one-night stand of a dwarven woman and a human adventurer, back when the way to the Cavern Above was still open. His mother told him about the "sky", "stars" and (most incredibly) the "sun" when he was tiny, but in all his long (un)life he has never seen them. This is the only thing he remembers from his first life. When he heard of the Dwarf King's decree, ancient memories were awakened within him, and he felt compelled to seek out the legends of his cradle. He is especially excited to see the sun.

Show

Dvergula is the name given him by legend over the centuries. His real name is long forgotten by all but him. He will speak in blood red.

Now, I'm thinking of having an expedition group larger than the party, with NPCs and alternate characters joining the party, but not playing an active role unless needed. These NPCs would include some "PC-like" characters, as well as logistical mooks. I'll leave that option for all of you.
    Sounds delicious!
    Last edited by Echobeats; 2014-08-21 at 07:44 AM.
    Spoiler: Games I am in
    Show
    London – A Dark and Stormy Night (DFRPG) • Torc Macbeth IC OOC
    Colonization: A New World (D&D 4E) • Hazard IC OOC
    The Shattering (D&D 4E) • Bram IC OOC
    Shadows of the Republic (SW Saga) • Ev Teraan IC OOC
    The Search for the Sky (D&D 4E) • Dvergula IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Aldrik Stonemark, Dwarven Knight

Show
    Aldrik hails from the Stonemark clan, an ancient family renown throughout the caverns for its peerless artisans and brilliant tacticians. Although the dwarven knight is neither, he is still a valued member of the family, prized for his skill in battle and unwavering loyalty. Ever since his days as a squire, Aldrik distinguished himself in dozens of battles and skirmishes, whether as a front-line trooper or a personal bodyguard. The knight himself never sought higher rank or fame, satisfied with serving his clan and his people.
    Recently, Aldrik took part in a raid against a group of ogres threatening a small town. What should have been a simple mission turned into a desperate battle for survival when it turned out that the enemy group was far larger then reported and was supported by several true giants. Thanks to Aldrik stopping the beasts’ assault in a bottleneck, the entire dwarven group managed to retreat with only light losses. This feat earned the knight attention of Stonemark’s high lord, and a place on the expedition towards the sky. Personally, Aldrik considers this whole “sky” business a fairy tale, but he won’t disobey orders from his liege.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Aldrik is fairly tall for a dwarf and powerfully built. He keeps his dark blond hair and beard short and without any ornaments. The knight takes great pains to keep all his equipment polished and in top shape. The dwarf’s battered shield bears the mark of his clan, a gargoyle’s head on green background.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    For Aldrik, honor and duty are paramount. The dwarf would never go back on his word or allow an innocent to be harmed. He won’t disobey an order from a superior, unless its consequences were obviously evil. The knight strongly favors straightforward approach to whatever problem arises, although over the years he has grown to appreciate more underhanded tactics. (He will still grumble about employing them, mind).

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Dewin Forskar. Forskar's Clan Wizard since his mentor Thoven died.

He will be speaking in Medium Turquoise, assuming it still works, since my other usual color is fairly close to purple.

Show

Spoiler: Full Backstory
    Show
    Benefit: +2 Arcana (Clan Wizard's Assistant).
    To be copy/pasta'd from notepad as soon as I get the chance.

Spoiler: Theme
    Show
    Order Adept (Order of Calderon--The tradition of Forskar's Clan wizardry, passed on from master to student).
    Order Adept Starting Feature (1st level): You gain the argent rain power (Info on Sheet).
    Order Adept Level 5 Feature (5th level): You gain a +2 power bonus to Arcana checks. If you have a spellbook, add one 2nd-level wizard utility power to it (Familiar Harrier). If you don’t have a spellbook, 2nd-level wizard utility powers can be selected when you gain or retrain utility powers.
    Order Adept Level 10 Feature (10th level): You gain a +2 power bonus to Will. Your power bonus to Arcana checks from this theme increases to +4.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

Alex Avatar by Raynn.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tbergman92 View Post
    Dewin Forskar. Forskar's Clan Wizard since his mentor Thoven died.
    Loving the Scandinavian punnage. I did the same with my character's name.

Spoiler: In case anyone wasn't aware...
    Show
    Dvergr is the Old Norse for dwarf. So it's a portmanteau of dvergr and Dracula.

Forska is Swedish for "research" (verb).

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001
    Now, I'm thinking of having an expedition group larger than the party, with NPCs and alternate characters joining the party, but not playing an active role unless needed. These NPCs would include some "PC-like" characters, as well as logistical mooks. I'll leave that option for all of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echobeats
    Sounds delicious!
    In all seriousness, though, will the NPC assistants have healing surges to give Dvergula? I think the usual arrangement is that the PCs act as blood donors, but it may be that our party doesn't have to suffer this disadvantage.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, Vistra has a ton extra surges from pumping Con to get a good fort defense (as she is going to be grabbing a bunch of people), and would be willing to supply you with blood, presuming you prove worth the investment.

Also, sorry about taking purple. I figured it should be different enough, if you want I'd be willing to go with something else so you can stick with your normal color.

9. - Top - End - #9

Edit: Also, Dewin is Welsh for Wizard. So, yeah. I generally pick names from google translate, and some are more creative than others.

My wizard is pretty HS starved, unfortunately. He won't be able to donate much if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Biapolis View Post
    Also, sorry about taking purple. I figured it should be different enough, if you want I'd be willing to go with something else so you can stick with your normal color.
    No worries! prior to the forum update, I used both Medium Turquoise and Dark Orchid about the same, and since, I just haven't been in a game that I used Turquoise. It wasn't my intent to be snarky or anything! I really don't mind.
    Last edited by tbergman92; 2014-08-04 at 06:40 PM.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

Alex Avatar by Raynn.

10. - Top - End - #10

@Irish Musician, I don't see a theme for Firtha.

Otherwise, I think we're ready to go. I just have a few things to write, and I'll post the IC thread.
    "I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up."

My games:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Oh sorry, forgot to put it on there. Ordained Priest.

LGBTAIitp
    Ally

12. - Top - End - #12

Whoops, almost forgot about Cthonka. I'll post IC by Wednesday morning if he doesn't show up.

My games:

13. - Top - End - #13

Actually, here's IC now. Start by describing the scene when your character received his or her summons.

My games:

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

I am working on Dvergula's letter to the King, but it may be a little while. It's been a good five three centuries since he last wrote to anyone.
    Last edited by Echobeats; 2014-08-07 at 05:27 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Sorry for the delay folks. I just started a rather lengthy commute into the office this week (over 80 minutes) and the first day had enough mistakes to make that even longer. As such, I was caught up in planning Sunday and wiped Monday. I'll poke around the IC tonight and start brewing up an intro.

I should have the character sheet and such up tonight too. I was originally thinking of the Guardian theme, though I may go a bit further afield as that's already covered.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Here's the character link for Cthonka (Fighter|Runepriest). I switched it over to Sohei for the theme. Let's go with Golden Rod for the color.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

For Cthonka's background, I'm thinking of going with a temple guardian angle, either from a fallen clan or as a newly minted (possibly experimental) creation of an established temple (possibly an unorthodox sect).

@tlbergman: Did you want to go for a character tie in? If I'm reading right, you character is an artifact collector, so I could go with "uncompleted temple guardian that was finally activated by the discovering wizard".

Edit: I'm following up on a character tie in discussion from the recruitment thread before putting up by IC post as that may affect my response.
    Last edited by Shimeran; 2014-08-05 at 09:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

@Echobeats, that IC post was a masterpiece.

My games:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Dude, Echo, as a guy who holds a BA in theater, what was freakin badass! You went Old English with that fhit!

LGBTAIitp
    Ally

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001 View Post
    @Echobeats, that IC post was a masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    Dude, Echo, as a guy who holds a BA in theater, what was freakin badass! You went Old English with that fhit!
    Well thanks! Now you know why I took so long .

I thought I'd best not go quite as far as to make it Old English, as I'd still be writing it into next year, and when I'd finished no-one would be able to read it. I was aiming for the late 17th century. Of course, a nearly 1000-year-old being would probably write in a mixture of the styles of the various eras he's lived through, so that's how I plan to justify any modernisms that may have crept in. But a dwarf generation is much longer than a human one, so I think their language would have changed less in that length of time than English has.

I was a bit disappointed I could get any "thou hast" in there, but of course it would have been horrendously ill-mannered to address a king with the familiar pronoun. The rest of the party, of course, will be consistently thou'd.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Good to see we're off to a strong start.

Just a heads up, but I probably won't get anything out tonight as it's our anniversary today.

On a side note, if I don't get interest in a player team up, I'm thinking of adding some keeper companions to the party as I imagine Cthonka as having more of a sevitor mentality at this point. As such, having a tie in character to help set them in motion may be a good idea. Any problems with that plan?

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tbergman92 View Post
    Edit: Also, Dewin is Welsh for Wizard. So, yeah. I generally pick names from google translate, and some are more creative than others.
    I should have guessed. Good name, even without knowing the linguistic connections. Will I get to find out his backstory before we start or are you planning to bring this out in conversation IC?

@Shimeran: In principle I would love to do a character tie-in but I can't see an obvious way to make it work in my case. If you can think of anything I'd love to discuss it. Perhaps there's some mileage in the fact that Cthonka could be hundreds of years old (whether or not he's been activated for all of that time)?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Four introductory posts to go.

My games:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Hmm.. I kind of like the idea that Cthonka is actually literally built around powerful runic writings, such as on a rod or stone tablet. In effect, he'd house a potent magic item which not only granted him animation but also his runic powers.

I'm not set on why the vessel for such an item would be sent on this quest, but perhaps I can use that mystery as a hook. It's possible they're trying to transport it in secret, possibly disguised as a guard for either one if their own or a specially chosen second party. If so, why they're doing so could be an interesting plot point.
    Last edited by Shimeran; 2014-08-08 at 04:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shimeran View Post
    Hmm.. I kind of like the idea that Cthonka is actually literally built around powerful runic writings, such as on a rod or stone tablet. In effect, he'd house a potent magic item which not only granted him animation but also his runic powers.

I'm not set on why the vessel for such an item would be sent on this quest, but perhaps I can use that mystery as a hook. It's possible they're trying to transport it in secret, possibly disguised as a guard for either one if their own or a specially chosen second party. If so, why they're doing so could be an interesting plot point.
    Perhaps there is a ritual whose components include both the item and something that can only be found above ground?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Shimeran View Post

If nothing else, I can make an NPC who owns him, who will also die conveniently.

My games:

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

If nothing else, I can make an NPC who owns him, who will also die conveniently.
    Dvergula will be happy to help cause an "accidental" NPC death .

Will there also be a lawyer NPC who knows how inheritance of golems works in Dwarf society?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Sorry for the lack of response! I'm cool with the character tie-in, but would be fine without if you'd rather go another direction.

Apologies--I work at a university and the last few days have been absolute chaos, and will probably continue to be pure chaos for about a week or two so my posting will be...infrequent. no less than once every few days though.

Edit: Also, background is going to be posted, I just had to make some changes to accommodate our lovely neighborhood DM.
    Should be up tonight, assuming nothing crazy comes up at work I have to deal with.
    Edit 2: Same with IC post, incidentally. Tonight, unless a crisis drops into my lap. Which is more possible than I care for.
    Last edited by tbergman92; 2014-08-08 at 03:38 PM.
    I'll be sober tomorrow.

Alex Avatar by Raynn.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

This past week has been rather ... hectic, with preparing for my last year of college. Sorry for lack of activity. I'll post my intro after I get some sleep.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Proper character sheet for Dvergula.

Also I thought it might be an idea to copy over the basics from the recruitment thread before it disappears.

Spoiler: Original recruitment post (minus teaser)
    Show
    System: D&D 4e
    Player Count: Between 4 and 7. The party will probably be accompanied by a number of NPCs
    Style of Play: A mix or diplomacy, combat, and exploration.
    Allowed Content: Anything thematically appropriate
    Character Creation:
    • Backstory: Most of the dwarves on this expedition have been hand-picked by their clan's lord, so they were likely drawn from those who have already proven themselves loyal and useful. It is possible that mercenaries or wandering warriors have heard the call as well. Long story short, have a reason why your PC would have been chosen. Make up a clan name and some past exploits if you wish.
    • Experience: Level 8
    • Wealth: 13,600, and the magic item shop is open.
    • Ability Scores: 22-point buy, plus the usual bonuses from level advancement.
    • Alignment: Just be cooperative.

Other notes:

You can also pick theme, but not a mechanical background.

When making your dwarf, use the standard racial features, with these changes:

Instead of the usual ability scores bonuses, you gain a +2 bonus to either Str, Con, or Wis, and +2 to any ability score other than the first.

Your racial skill bonuses will be +2 to dungeoneering, and +2 to any other skill.

Choose one of the following:
    • Cast-Iron Stomach: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing Poison damage and effects.
    • Cast-Iron Mind: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing Psychic damage and effects.

Choose one of the following proficiencies:
    • Battleaxe and handaxe
    • Warhammer and throwing hammer
    • Maul and war pick
    • Light shield

I may include one or two non-dwarf characters, provided they are some other underdark-themed race, such as drow or svirfnablin. Just have a good reason that they would be chosen for such an expedition.

Also, my usual homebrew rules apply here.

shamgar001, can you please let me know what I should be doing to make my sheet comply with your houserules? I've added the Improved Defences feat but nothing else. I picked Ki Focus Expertise but it is currently counted against my feat allowance; do I essentially get that for free?
    Show