New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Hybrid Race Template

Taking an old project of mine and bringing it into pathfinder. I'll hammer out any kinks, as I am sure there are a few. I hope you like it and please feel free to experiment with it. Keep in mind this template is designed to be more or less a set of guidelines, and not a strict set of rules that need to be followed to the letter when combining two races.

Given that RP values are referenced, this link will almost certainly prove useful.

CREATING A HYBRID RACE
    The following is an inherited template that can be used to combine any two races. Simply take any races and plug them in. For the best results, use two player character races of the same level adjustment.

• Type/Subtype: If both types are the same, keep the same. If they are different, use the one with the highest RP value. Keep all shared subtypes.
      Exceptions: When mixing a race of the Construct type and a race of any other type, keep the non-construct race's type and give them the half-construct subtype. Simularly, when mixing undead and non-undead make use of the half-undead subtype.
      When mixing an outsider with any other race, the outsider type takes precedence. If the non-outsider is of a race native to the material plane (Anything lacking the extraplanar subtype) then they automatically possess the native subtype.
    • Size: If the same, keep the same. If different by one step, use either. If different by two steps or more, average. If different by more than 2, but of an odd number, average then use either middle result.
    • Base Speed: Average between the two.
    • Ability Score Modifiers: Average. Subtract 1 from odd numbered scores. If there are more than 2 negative odd numbered scores, for every 2, add 1 point to any negative prior to evening out scores. If there is no positive, remove any one negative ≥ -2. If the resulting creature has no bonuses or penalties, they gain a +2 to an ability score of their choice upon creation (As humans and half-elves).
    • Languages: Combine both races lists for Starting languages. Combine both races lists for Bonus languages.
    • Defensive Racial Traits, Feat and Skill Racial Traits, Magical Racial Traits, Offensive Racial Traits, Senses Racial Traits, and Other Racial traits: Calculate the values of the abilities that fall under each of the above categories each race possess, average the points and spend them between abilities the races had access to within each category. Mutually held abilities are always held by the resulting creature. Abilities with the same name but differences within their description (Such as Weapon Familiarity) are not automatically held by the resulting creature but when selected one may choose either version.
    • Weaknesses: Keep only if both races possess the same weakness. With weaknesses that have different levels, take the highest version between them and lower by one step.
      Example: Sunlight Powerlessness becomes Vulnerable to Sunlight. Light Sensitivity becomes Light Blindness.
    • Blood: The resulting race gains the Blood traits associated with parents (Elf Blood, Orc Blood, ect.)
    • Alternate Racial Traits: After combining the races as described above, the resulting creature can have traits swapped out with the alternate racial traits available to the races that were used to create it, provided it has the appropriate racial traits to exchange.

Spoiler: Example
    Show

While not the most original idea, lets take two races that are regarded as hating each other's guts and mix them together, just because I need an example.
    Dwarves and Elves.

- Dwarf Elf "Dwelf"
    Type/Subtype Humanoid (dwarf) Humanoid (elf) Humanoid
    Size Medium Medium Medium
    Base Speed Slow Normal (Slow/Normal)
    Ability Score Modifiers +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int -
    Defensive Lesser Defensive Training, Hardy, Stability {5 RP} Elven Immunities {2 RP} Lesser Defensive Training, Elven Immunities, Stability {4 RP}
    Feat and Skill Greed, Stonecunning {2 RP} Skill Bonus (Perception) {2 RP} Skill Bonus (Perception) {2 RP}
    Magical - {0 RP} Elven Magic {3 RP} - {2 RP}
    Offensive Hatred, Weapon Familiarity {3 RP} Weapon Familiarity {2 RP} Weapon Familiarity {2 RP}
    Senses Darkvision 60ft {2 RP} Low-light vision {1 RP} Low-light Vision {1 RP}
    Blood Dwarf Elf Elf Blood, Dwarf Blood

DWELF RACIAL TRAITS
    +2 to One Ability Score: Dwelf characters gain a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation.
    Medium: Dwelves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Slow/Normal Speed: Dwelves have a base speed of 25 feet.
    Low-Light Vision: Dwelves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    Defensive Training: Dwelves gain a +4 dodge bonus against monsters of the giant subtype.
    Dwarf and Elf Blood: Dwelves count as both dwarves and elves for any effect related to race.
    Elven Immunities: Dwelves are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
    Keen Senses: Dwelves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
    Stability: Dwelves gain a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
    Weapon Familiarity: Dwelves are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows), longswords, rapiers, and short bows (including composite short bows), and treat any weapon with the word "elven" in its name as a martial weapon, OR battle-axes, heavy picks, and warhammers and treat any weapon with the word "dwarves" in its name as a martial weapon.
    Languages: Dwelves begin play speaking Common, Dwarven, and Elven. Dwelves with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Dragonic, Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

{RP: 8}

Alternate Racial Traits
    Just a list as to what alternate racial traits are available to this combination.
    Arcane Focus (Elf)
    Darkvision 60ft. (Elf)
    Deep Warrior (Dwarf)
    Dreamspeaker (Elf)
    Elemental Resistance (Elf)
    Fleet-Footed (Elf)
    Minesight (Dwarf) {Requires Darkvision (Above)}
    Mountaineer (Dwarf)
    Relentless (Dwarf)
    Surface Survivalist (Dwarf) {Requires Darkvision (Above)}
    Urbanite (Elf)
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2014-08-04 at 12:51 PM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Hybrid Race Template

Marginally less complicated than the third party Amalgam template. But that's half the fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Marginally less complicated than the third party Amalgam template. But that's half the fun!
    Well, I have to look that up.

..Oh my god.

Well, complication there and here are both understandable. The template I created for 3.5 is arguably simpler than this one, but with the differences in the systems I simply had to change it for better balancing, and there were more opportunities for that here. Consider this a relative of the Amalgam template designed for PC races (That you can acquire the RP values for their abilities, or at least estimate).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Actually I think this is really understandable, and pretty straightforward. I might rewrite the ability scores description or provide an explanation for the Dwelf specifically step by step to show how it work (took me 3 minutes to understand) but otherwise it's not that bad at all.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLovecraft View Post
    Actually I think this is really understandable, and pretty straightforward. I might rewrite the ability scores description or provide an explanation for the Dwelf specifically step by step to show how it work (took me 3 minutes to understand) but otherwise it's not that bad at all.
    Well, I can explain how that component works and how the Dwelf got to that.

While the wording on it may not be the best, it came from observations on what ability scores typically are in 3.5, and this holds true in pathfinder.

Now, dwarves possess:+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
    and elves have: +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int

Step 1: Add them up. +0 Str, +2 Dex, +0 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
    Step 2: Divide by 2, getting the average. +0 Str, +1 Dex, +0 Con, +1 Int, +1 Wis, -1 Cha.
    Step 3: If there are 2+ Odd numbered negatives, add +1 to one of your choice for every 2 negatives.
    Step 4: Undo the Odd numbered ability scores. +0 Str, +0 Dex, +0 Con, +0 Int, +0 Wis, -2 Cha.
    Step 5: Remove one negative if there are no positives. +0 Str, +0 Dex, +0 Con, +0 Int, +0 Wis, +0 Cha.

Now, in 3.5 that would be the end of that. However, given that under pathfinder, races that formerly had no ability modifiers now have a flexible one, we give them that.

+2 to One Ability Score.

Now, lets follow another two races, just for ability scores though. Lets push things a bit.

Gargoyle (+2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha) and Oread (+2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Cha)

Step 1: Add them up. +4 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int, +0 Wis, -4 Cha
    Step 2: Divide by 2, getting the average. +2 Str, +2 Con, -1 Int, -2 Cha
    Step 3: If there are 2+ Odd numbered negatives, add +1 to one of your choice for every 2 negatives. +2 Str, +2 Con, +0 Int, -2 Cha
    Step 4: Undo the Odd numbered ability scores. +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha
    Step 5: Remove one negative if there are no positives. +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha.

- Gargoyle Oread Gargoread
    Type/Subtype Monstrous Humanoid Outsider (native) Outsider (native)
    Size Medium Medium Medium
    Base Speed Normal Slow (Slow/Normal)
    Ability Score Modifiers +2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int, -4 Wis, -2 Cha +2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Cha +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha
    Defensive Damage reduction (10/magic), Improved natural armor +3, natural armor {14 RP} Energy resistance (acid) {1 RP} Energy resistance (acid), Damage reduction (10/magic) {7 RP}
    Feat and Skill Skill bonus (+2 Stealth) {2 RP} - {0 RP} - {1 RP}
    Magical - {0 RP} Elemental affinity (earth), Lesser Spell-like ability {2 RP} Elemental Affinity (Earth) {1 RP}
    Movement Flight (50 ft., average) {8 RP} - {0 RP} Flight (30 ft., clumsy) {4 RP}
    Offensive Bite, Claws, Natural attack (gore) {4 RP} - {0 RP} Claws {2 RP}
    Senses Darkvision 60ft.* {0 RP} Darkvision 60ft.* {0 RP} Darkvision 60ft.* {0 RP}
    Blood Gargoyle Oread Gargoyle Blood, Oread Blood

Total RP: ~18
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2014-08-06 at 12:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

What about Gargoread?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    What about Gargoread?
    Thanks, and I honestly wondered how long before I'd see a post out of you on this version of the template. What do you think?