New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Sundering using Soulknife Bladewind

My friend rolled a Soulknife for our next campaign and were trying to figure out beforehand if you can make sunder checks with the attack rolls from Bladewind

Sunder says "You can use a melee attack with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding."

And Bladewind is "and instead fragment his mind blade to make one melee attack at his full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach. Each fragment functions identically to the soulknife’s regular mind blade."

I've read elsewhere that sunders/trips/disarms work with whirlwind attack so Im fairly certain this would work too

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Sundering using Soulknife Bladewind

The text says that it strikes an "opponent". The word 'opponent' is synonymous with the word 'enemy' and an enemy is defined as "a creature unfriendly to you" in the player's handbook (pg 308). We can sit around and argue about whether definitions of synonyms count and despair at WotC's lack of technical definitions for every possible word in their entire book, but I think the status of the words is pretty obvious.

You can switch out one of your attacks in a full-attack with a sunder (as defined in the Rules Compendium). However, letting a person use Whirlwind Attack or Bladewind to suddenly attack every opponent and every object around them is obviously not what those abilities were meant for. As a DM, I would all a person using Whirlwind Attack of Bladewind to give up their attack on an opponent and attack that opponent's weapon instead. However, I wouldn't let them attack everyone object in the area as well as every actual enemy/opponent/hostile creature. (An exception could be made for intelligent items, but that's about it.)

Also, don't forget that a default Mind Blade counts as a light weapon so it gets a -4 to sunder attempts. He needs to switch its form to not take a penalty there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Sundering using Soulknife Bladewind

Aight sounds good, they're going to be using a bastard sword with it (well katana technically) anyway

And yeah I didn't plan on her both attacking the weapons and the enemies, just the weapons