New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Frenzied Berserker and Rage.

Curious, if you go Rage, then Frenzy... is it possible to end the Frenzy when you end Rage (thus bypassing the will save)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Frenzied Berserker and Rage.

Sort of.

Although the two are separate effects, Frenzy lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + Con. If you have one of the Rage versions that increases Con (such as regular Rage), that would increase your Frenzy duration; ending Rage reduces Con, and thus may reduce the duration of Frenzy. If you have exceeded 3 + (non-Rage Con) rounds in Frenzy, and end your Rage, your Frenzy will end.

That said, if you've exceeded 3 + (non-Rage Con) rounds, there's a reasonable chance that everything is (or should be) quite dead.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

You can't end your rage voluntarily when in a Frenzy.

Frenzy says specifically that you must fight at your best.

Even if you enter a frenzy while not raging, you must rage as soon as possible, because that's your best.

Because interrupting your rage means having less destructive power, a Frenzied Berserker is never allowed to not rage when frenzied.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

My inner optimizer is ashamed; it never occurred to me that you could activate Rage and Frenzy simultaneously to stack them. This is especially silly since it mentions under the Frenzy ability that, if the character is still Raging, they don't suffer fatigue yet.

Interestingly, the Rage-granted bonus to Will saves would help end the Frenzy.

But this means a Frenzied Berserker is going to have +10 to strength, not "merely" +6. +14 with Greater Frenzy. Interesting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo87 View Post
    You can't end your rage voluntarily when in a Frenzy.

Frenzy says specifically that you must fight at your best.

Even if you enter a frenzy while not raging, you must rage as soon as possible, because that's your best.

Because interrupting your rage means having less destructive power, a Frenzied Berserker is never allowed to not rage when frenzied.
    Actually, it depends. Rage gives you restrictions on what you can do, and these restrictions might as well be the only way you can fight in this situation.

For example, a barbarian/wizard/frenzied berserker (yeah I know) is fighting another wizard who casts fly and leaves. To 'fight at the best of his ability', the wizard would now have to end his rage and cast fly himself.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    For example, a barbarian/wizard/frenzied berserker (yeah I know) is fighting another wizard who casts fly and leaves. To 'fight at the best of his ability', the wizard would now have to end his rage and cast fly himself.
    You can't cast fly when Frenzying either. Interrupting your Rage won't lift the limitations.
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2014-08-05 at 08:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo87 View Post
    You can't cast fly when Frenzying either. Interrupting your Rage won't lift the limitations.
    I was under the assumption that removing one would stop the other. I'm sorry.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!