New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Watch Durkoala explore the Magical Girl Genre! Part 1: Card Captor Sakura

Two months ago, I posted a thread asking for advice with starting Magical Girl anime. Eventually the good people who joined in managed to get me to choose Card Captor Sakura as my starting point. Thanks, guys.
    I proposed a let's watch and nobody objected, so I made this thread.

I chose Sakura because I'm told it inspired a lot of the modern Magical girl genre, and it's good. The fact that I saw an episode (of the hated english dub) long ago, making it the only show on the shortlist I had seen, might have something to do with my decision.
    I should probably mention that I did a practice LW of the Heartcatch Opening in the other thread, which I reference a little. (Future Durkoala: Only in the first episode, though.)
    Anyway, on with the Show!

CCS episode one: Sakura and the Mysterious Magic Book
    Spoiler: The start of something beautiful... (I hope)
    Show

• Ok, I saw an episode or two a long time ago. It was actually part of the terrible (or so I’m told) dub and I don’t remember anything about it except for some special effects with a key and something that looked like one of those final fantasy things talking into a 90’s mobile. What I’m saying is that I’m going into this completely blind. I know that it’s about a girl called Sakura who has to hunt down magic cards she let loose. I know that it’s a cornerstone of the MG genre’s modern form. I just learnt that the story originated from CLAMP. That is all I know.

• We have a short sequence of blue ripples and the outline of a girl’s face, asleep. Then a book appears and opens up. The girl has time to ask who is calling to her before we fade to the Tokyo skyline. (I think)

• A girl in pink is facing the Tokyo tower (I think). As she is identical to the girl in the opening, I assume that this is Sakura. She sprouts rainbow wings on her feet and falls off the building she’s standing on. As she has a lot of cards swirling around her (and a brown thing, which is going to be called Phone Moogle (I remember it talking on a mobile, long ago) until I learn otherwise) , this is probably a flashforward to the future.

• Episode title! ‘Sakura and the mysterious magic book’ well, we can guess what will in this episode. Sakura releases the cards, gets her powers and finds a book that is both magic and Mysterious. I wonder if there’s magic books that aren’t mysterious.

• Now we cut to Sakura waking up at seven o’clock exactly, thanks to her alarm. As she goes through her morning routine, she narrates her name and what subjects she does at school. Of course, her least favourite is maths. (Britishness Alert!) Anyway, why does every fictional schoolchild hate maths? Why don’t they hate English? That’s a lot more accurate. (OK, Sakura said she likes English (Japanese?), but the point still stands)

• We meet Sakura’s brother Toya, who looks like every sort-of bishonen ever. He teases her over her making a lot of noise, and she goes berserk and he stops her with his mug of tea on her head. It’s quite cute, in a family squabble way. Sakura isn’t impressed and labels him a big meanie in her narration and gives us more information. He’s in eleventh grade (so he’s... eleven or twelve? He looks at least four or seven years older than that.) and his school is next to hers.

• Sakura has a little daydream where she grows to be enormous (because her brother’s ‘tall’) and stamps on Toya. It’s interrupted by their father Fujikata in a pink apron. What does the Sakura-dex say about him? He’s an archaeology professor and is really nice, which I can believe. He also does cooking and sewing. I don’t know much about Japan, but if it’s strictly ordered, a man doing stereotypical Women’s work implies that there’s no wife to do it. Sakura confirms that her mother died when she was three.

• Her brother thanks their father for breakfast and starts to leave. Sakura calls after him to wait, rushes her breakfast, and straps on her rollerskates to chase him. I am jealous. Oh wait, they’re rollerblades. I am even more jealous.

• Oh, Sakura only rushed after her brother because she has a crush on his friend. He’s called Yuki, and he looks like Toya, except he has glasses and wavy grey hair. Sakura tells us that he goes to the same classes as Toya, and some stuff that makes is even more obvious that she’s completely lost. Yukito seems to think that she’s adorable. He’s right, but is oblivious her feelings.

• After she catches a goodbye sweet from Yuki, Sakura is surprised by her friend, Toyoma. She’s got long, grey hair, is really pale and is in the school uniform. I bet she’s the friend that designs the costume. (tip-off from the thread: no transformations in CC Sakura. It’s a shame, as I like transformations, but there you go.)

• In the locker room, Toyoma talks about Sakura’s reaction to Yuki’s gift. I’m not sure if she’s obliquely ribbing her, or just entranced by the cuteness. The Sakura-dex tells us that Toyoma likes recording things. Is this the origin of Videogirl from the Precure heartcatch opening? If I wasn’t so sure that Toyoma will become the costume designer, I would say she would become a sort-of antagonist, trying to track down and photograph the mysterious Cardcaptor. Toyoma lays it on a little thick with the admiration and Sakura collapses to the floor.

• In class, we see Sakura doodling the Phone Moogle. She wonders if something was her, so I assume that the pre-title sequence was a dream she was having, and she was referring to the girl in the pink frilly outfit.

• In P.E; they are practicing cheerleading. While tossing batons, Sakura sees hers as the wand/staff wielded by the dream-Sakura. She misses her toss and bops herself on the head. Two girls (I will call them Bowlcut and Pigtails, until later) comment that she spaces out a lot.

• Back home, Dad is out, so Sakura has the house to herself. I don’t know what Toya’s up to, but Sakura confirms that he’s not here. While sneaking a dessert, she hears something. She creeps out to see what. As there’s creepy music box noises, I’m not sure this is a good idea. It’s going to be the book of cards, that her dad found as part of his work. I'm not even going to make a comment on it, it's just going to happen.

• Sakura says it’s coming from her Dad’s study. This turns out to be in the basement. It’s full of books and probably the size of the entire house. Being an archaeology professor must pay well. One book starts to glow and the music box starts again. Nice novelty music box, Dad, right? Right?

• Sakura decides to look at the glowing book with the creepy backing music. Fujikata, raise your daughter better! As she pulls it off the shelves, we see that it has CLOW written on the side. Sakura recognises it from her dream. There’s a little jump when it unlocks itself, but she decides to read it anyway. It contains a card the size of her head, depictining something like an angel mummy. Sakura reads out its name: The Windy.

• This makes the book explode and spit out all the cards, with eerie fog, dramatic winds and a light show included. Then it spits up one last thing at the terrified Sakura: Phone Moogle! After a brief freakout by Sakura, who tries to find his batteries, he introduces himself as Kerberos(sia), guardian of the cards and I start laughing. Kerberos guards the gate of Hades; this thing has been nicknamed Phone Moogle for a reason. Once he realises that the cards have escaped, he has a little panic like only an anime character can. Sakura still has the windy card, and she explains that she blew them all away when she activated it. Phone Moogle doesn’t take this well.

• Later, Toya’s got home, and he and Sakura are now in pajamas. Sakura takes a dessert up to her room to give to Kerberossa. He’s mentally searching for the Cards, but has had no luck.

• Exposition Time! The Clow Cards were created by a powerful sorcerer named Clow Reed. Alive and with supernatural powers, they will apparently cause a disaster id they are released. Cheer up, Sakura, most heroes do this sort of thing at least once! To stop the Cards from wrecking the world, Clow sealed them in the book, along with Kerberossu. As Sakura released the Cards, he enlists her to help hunt them down, but she turns the tables by reminding him that it was his job to keep them locked up. (He fell asleep for thrirty years, which he shouldn’t know as he was asleep. However mighty Clow was, he didn’t think this plan through enough if he chose a narcoleptic guardian.)

• Kerberossu decides to give Sakura the power to capture the cards. This takes the form of entering a contract with the key of the seal, her magic staff. She’s a bit stupid and grabs it before remembering she doesn’t want to do this. Let’s hope you never meet Ursula or Mephisto, Sakura.

• The argument is interrupted by a strong wind, which turns out to be coming from a bird the size of a plane. Kerberossie identifies it as the FLY card. Sakura’s going to be able to use the cards she captures isn’t she? There’s no way she won’t be able to fly.

• Sakura complains as she rides out to catch it at Kerberossu’s insistence. I think this is reasonable as A) she’s in her PJ’s (and skating gear) and B) the Card is really, really Big. It looks a bit like a giant Fearow, but made of Ice or something blue and glowy. It blasts them back to show support for her side of the argument. Kerberossu saves her and tells her to attack.

• Kerberossu tells her that since the fearow is a wind-type, she should be able to use the Windy card to channel her powers enough to capture it. I hope this point leads to them having to let some found cards go loose until they get the right card to catch it. Fearow dives at them, but misses. Sakura has an idea and leaves Kerberossu to take the attack. Cold, Sakura. Unfortunately my video cuts out here.

• Let's pretend that there wasn't a break. While the Fearow is distracted, Sakura somehow gets behind it and uses her Rollerblading skills jump onto its back. The fearow doesn’t like this and flies up into the sky, using the same animation as it did earlier. Sakura then begins the incantation (I assume Kerberossu taught it to her during the offscreen argument) and calls the Windy to aid her.
    • Ok, this is pretty cool. The Windy appears and splits into many Windies which wrap up the Fearow and become bandages. The fearow then crashes. So much for being the embodiment of supernatural flight! Sakura then uses another incantation to bind the Fearow, which makes it become fairly obvious CGI and shrink down to being a card.
    • Kerberossu praises Sakura, but she’s acting like a reasonable person and bursting into terrified tears. There, there, Sakura. You only need to do it sixty-nine more times. Kerberossu tells her that it’ll make her a better person when she grows up. He obviously hasn’t watched Evangelion.

• Kerberossu finally gets a good idea: get Sakura to use the Fly card! I’m a bit disappointed that it just makes wings grow from her key, which of course she rides like a broomstick (even if she’s a girl, that’s going to get uncomfortable quickly). Because Sakura hasn’t been to any other towns yet, they fly around over the rooftops. The episode closes on them arguing about becoming a proper Card Captor. Sorry, Sakura, we know what the title is.

And that’s it. So far it’s very cute, and has some interesting things that could resurface. We’ll probably find out how Sakura’s dad got hold of the Book of Cards, and we’ll probably run into some more stuff made by Clow Reed. I haven’t got much expectation for plot as it is aimed at little kids (not that that’s a barrier to quality, in theory) and is the perfect setup for a Card per week.

The characters are pretty good: Sakura is cute and cheerful, but does have violent or selfish moments like an eight year old (I think she’s eight?). Toya is a typical brother, teasing Sakura but clearly caring about her. Fujikata does seem to be completely kind and caring; the closest he has to a flaw is being kept away from his children by his work, which happens enough for Sakura to not comment on it, but not enough for her to complain. As the parental figure of the main character in a children’s series, I don’t see him becoming much more than this, but I wouldn’t rule it out entirely, as he does have a connection to the Book. I predict that something will happen with Sakura’s feelings for Yuki. You can’t give somebody powers and a crush and then not have anything happen. I’ll wait until we see more before making any further guesses on him.
    Sakura’s friends... I’d say that they will get caught up in this somehow. Pigtails and Bowlcut might merely be enlisted for capturing a couple of Cards and the fade back into the background, but I’m sure Tomoya is going to be important, either as a companion or an antagonist.

Kerberossu is interesting, despite not being a giant hellhound (I think he’s meant to be a griffin or something). He was selected to guard the Cards but failed at that task, making it clear that Clow Reed wasn’t a good judge of character (or wanted them to escape. Dunh dunh DUNH!). He also has not shown any powers to help him capture the Cards, beyond passing the responsibility on to somebody else, and being able to nearly lift Sakura. Despite getting a little girl involved in monster-hunting against her wishes, there doesn’t seem to be any malice in him: he just doesn’t seem to get the subtleties of how humans work.

I’m most interested about the description of Clow Reed as ‘a great sorcerer’. This implies that there are other sorcerers around. Is Sakura’s lack reaction to the mention of a sorcerer due to young innocence or the worldwide knowledge of magic?

Ok, that's the first episode. It's a bit hard to come up with good jokes, as it is a bit too good for me to fairly or easily mock it, and I don't think I'm expressing my feelings well enough to be compelling.
    The animation was OK: decent, but nothing special. I liked the art style: a real sense of nostalgia from watching pokémon, and I am always annoyed that the soft light of older animation has disappeared today.

Any discussion is welcome, but can I please ask that you put things about later events in spoilers, with relevant episode numbers marked
    Spoiler: like this, Ep 0
    Show
    (if you can remember them, it has been a long time since this was made)
    so I'm not locked out of the discussion for the entire series.

I hope you enjoy this.

Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-10-15 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Watch Durkoala explore the Magical Girl Genre!

All I can say right now is it'll be interesting how the show in someways matches up exactly with what you expect, while in other ways completely doesn't at all do what you were expecting. :3

I think we might all benefit for you reaction block being less....long, but that's just me. I have trouble concentrating on really long blocks of text though so I may be a little biased on that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Interesting, but potentially dangerous and messy. Good luck! I fear you may well need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #4

Ah, I love this series, never was able to see all the episodes through. Okay, 11th grade means your'e about 16 or 17.

As for other sorcerers, they do exist, but the world as a whole doesn't know about them. But there are others, after all there other series in the same universe, but we don't have to worry about that detail in this show.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm, now that you've finally started, I should probably get back to the rewatch I was in the middle of a couple months ago so I can comment with the show fresh in my mind. Now where was I . . .(maybe ep 27 or 28?).

6. - Top - End - #6

Thanks for discussing.
    I'll try to get one out per week, as this Watching is harder than I expected. So far, I'm thinking of trying Tuesday updates, but we'll have to see how that turns out.

Being on the first episode is really annoying, as there's not much to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    I think we might all benefit for you reaction block being less....long, but that's just me. I have trouble concentrating on really long blocks of text though so I may be a little biased on that.
    And I have trouble writing short stuff, but I'll do my best.
    It does look a bit long, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Interesting, but potentially dangerous and messy. Good luck! I fear you may well need it.
    Oohhkkaayy...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Ah, I love this series, never was able to see all the episodes through. Okay, 11th grade means you're about 16 or 17.

As for other sorcerers, they do exist, but the world as a whole doesn't know about them. But there are others, after all there other series in the same universe, but we don't have to worry about that detail in this show.
    Derp. I need to think about these number things a bit harder in the future. 16-17 does make a lot more sense, given Toya's appearence.

Ah, setting details. This looks like I'll have to expand my things to watch list even further.

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Hmm, now that you've finally started, I should probably get back to the rewatch I was in the middle of a couple months ago so I can comment with the show fresh in my mind. Now where was I . . .(maybe ep 27 or 28?).
    Why not start from the beginning again?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Being one of the few non commercial animes that got to broadcast "over here", i watched a dubbed ver§ion of this show and i dont have memories of devastation and infuriation from it.

You are luckier than me *falls on the floor foaming, muttering:*SWORDS, POLEARMS, IM COOL.
    Despite everything, its still me.

8. - Top - End - #8

You'll like this show I feel, as for other sorcerers you don't really need to worry about them, just watch this show,

Also because your watching magical girl shows I would stay away from most of the other shows in this lot, also trying to connect them all can get a bit confusing so really don't worry about that.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

9. - Top - End - #9

Sorry, guys, The next episode is going to have to be delayed. I meant to get it up today, but I'm having some minor computer trouble. If it's saved what I have done so far, it should be up by about 6-7pm GMT on Wednesday. If not, I don't know, but I'll definitely have it done by Sunday.
    <-- my Srs face.

Sorry for the inconvenience of an interruption in a non-existent schedule of an eight-post thread.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Ok, It's a bit later than I would have liked, but it's still the same day!

In today's episode, we start to see a team come together and Sakura's struggles against the calling of Magical-girlhood meet a formidable obstacle. Oh, and there's also a supernatural monster too.

CARD CAPTOR SAKURA EPISODE 2: Sakura's Wonderful Friend

Spoiler
    Show
    Episode two! Will Sakura choose to become the Card Captor? Find out, on the next episode of Card Captor Sakura!

- And we’re straight into the title card! I expected a format of a short teaser, then title, then the rest of the episode, but it seems I was mistaken. Anyway, Sakura is being woken up by Kerberossu, who looks alarmingly like Pedobear. Naturally, she screams. We then have a flashback about the last episode so the newcomers can understand what’s going on.

- Kerberossia (how he pronounced his name this time)has the usual argument about Sakura becoming a Cardcaptor. I’m only bringing this up becuase he shows that he has telekinesis by levitating the Fearow card at Sakura. Also the Card is called ‘The Fly’, so CLAMP needs a better translating department. What will Sakura catch next, The Weevil?

- Sakura is called down to breakfast. Toya’s cooking today, but nothing else is really different. This time, Sakura’s rushing her meal because she has to clean the classroom today. Ok, is this a Japanese thing? It sounds like nothing I can think of except detention, and Sakura doesn’t seem the type to misbehave.

- Oh, she brought some food up for Kerberossia. Him and sweets are going to become a thing, aren’t they? While Sakura puts on her hat, he asks if her father is also a student if he’s leaving the house, demonstrating that Kerbie knows very little about humans. Sakura puts him straight and tells him not to leave the house, before she rushes out. Yeah, that’ll happen.

- Sakura stops by Yuki’s house, which isn’t creepy at all. Yuki spots her and gives her some flowers for the classroom. Watching a really tall (not really, Sakura’s just small) bishie give a girl flowers entirely innocently is very strange.

- OK, I have to say this. When Sakura walks into the classroom, she’s got no hat, but it reappears in the next shot. That’s the first real error I’ve noticed. The second person in the classroom is her weird friend Tomoya. She’s got a video to show Sakura: Sakura flying from last episode. Oh dear. And Sakura’s panic brings Kerberossia out of her bag. Surprise, surprise. Tomoya is completely unphased by the teacup griffin.

- During break (Recess to you Americans ), Tomoya is being introduced to Kerberos. She comments that he doesn’t resemble his name, and they dub him Kero-chan. Finally, somebody with an education! Cutting to the playground, we see one kid’s shadow isn’t following him. Card number three, then.

- Back with our heroes, Tomoya is getting ... enthusiastic about seeing some magic. Kerberossia says it’s fine as they’re alone. Given that the girls are holding hands, it looks like he’s shipping them. Sakura folds and activates the key. Tomoya is impressed by Sakura’s expanding pink rod, but thinks she needs to work on her pose as it’s an important part of being a Magical Girl. I thought that this was supposed to be one of the first Magical Girl anime?

- We cut to leaving school. I was expecting some wacky hijinks about trying to keep Kerbie hidden, but this is fine. The unseen Clow Card strikes, sucking in all the shadows of the students, but none of them seem to notice. And now, it’s time for the ads!

- Sakura arrives next morning to find a big crowd. They’re staring at a truly enormous pile of gym equipment in the middle of the playground. I don’t know what this means about the card’s powers. We’ve seen it steal shadows, but that doesn’t mean it can move physical objects. I’m guessing that it has some kind of shadow-based teleportation or cloning abilities, but we’ll see how that turns out.

- To Sakura’s dismay, her classroom is in a similar state. Pigtails, Bowlcut and another friend (I’ll call her Wavy. Guess why) lament that they (including Sakura?)will have to clean it up. Tomoya turns up and proves that she is better at MG-ing by immediately theorising that this is the work of a Card.

- At home, Kerberossia confirms that it is a Card’s work, but isn’t any more help. He and Sakura have the usual argument, but Sakura refuses to go in to the school at night, Cardcaptor or not. Tomoya invites herself so she can video Sakura. Um, Ok. Now that Sakura is outvoted, Kerberossia declares them ready to proceed and starts discussing poses with Tomoya.

- Every time I resolve to watch the scene unfold and post an abbreviation later, something weird happens! Tomoya has met Sakura outside the school and brought what look like two secret agents! Who is she? Also, Sakura’s wearing a yellow jumper with sort of Egypt-y patterns. Spy women! How?!

- Right. They’re the family bodyguards, and apparently Chauffeurs (Chauffeuresses?) as well. Apparently Tomoya’s family is very rich: they address her as ‘Ojou-sama’, which I think*^ translates roughly as ‘My lady’.*^ Tomoya dismisses them so she can enter the School with Sakura. I think it’s a stupid idea, but I can understand that she’s caught up in girl’s adventure stories and has faith in her friend’s magic. Sigh*^. Tomoya’s also brought a set of costumes for Sakura. I bet this is where the frilly pink outfit comes from. As an aside, I really like how Tomoya and Kerberossia are on the same wavelength here.

- It’s not the pink outfit, but a rather strange short, white, tailed coat over a leotard and tights, covered by a very scalloped red cape and hat. There’s also a bow fastener for the cape and some belt/ribbons at the back. Kerbie is very happy to get a matching bow. Sakura isn’t happy at all.

- Clow card attack! It’s a naked (nothing explicit, though) angel woman, which I was not expecting. Tomoya is pretty calm and Sakura is doing an impression of a deer in the headlights. Make your eyes less swirly and I’ll give you a nine, Sakura.

- Tomoya notices that while the angel (statue, on closer inspection) is apparently hovering, its shadow shows it being lifted by something. Kerberossa identifies it as the shadow card. Clow certainly wasn’t good at naming things, was he?

- Sakura snaps into hunting mode and tells her companions to get back while she deals with the card. Waves of shadows flood out of the school buildings and bear down on her as she prepares the binding. Of course, it fails to work. Come on Sakura, you should know that the normal monsters don’t go down easily until you’re on the trail of the Villain. To escape the shadows, Kerborossa tells her to Fly. Somehow the shadows can’t fly, even though they appear to weightless 3D objects. Instead, other shadows throw desks out of the school windows, which distracts Sakura long enough to be snagged by the main “pool”. She is saved by Tomoya, who turns on all the lights in the area and washes back the shadows. With no danger left, Sakura stops by to thank them, but Kerberossa spots the real Shadow, which is invulnerable to light but can be bound, and tells her to fly after it. It doesn’t look like a black hedgehog, just a bog-standard ringwraith ripoff. I am disappointed in the monster designers.

- Kerbie and Tomoya discuss the offscreen training they gave Sakura. This means that she now has an animated segment of her drawing a card that reminds me of Digimon Tamers. I’m sure it will become stock footage in the future. It works perfectly, and the Windy binds the Shadow.
    School, presumably the next day. We see Sakura asking Pigtails (who now has a name: Chiharu) if she’s seen Tomoya. She turns out to be in the media room, watching what she recorded of the fight. When she notices Sakura, she asks to accompany her for future excursions. Sakura is less than happy, but can’t seem to argue with her.

And that’s it. It looks like we’ll be going through a few more Cards before something interesting comes along, but at least we’ll have some variety in clothes. Why can’t more “superheroes” wear different costumes? Sakura will probably keep protesting for a few more episodes, but she’s almost certainly not going to be able to argue with Tomoya.
    Tomoya being rich is... well, not a big surprise, but I definitely didn’t see it coming. I’m enjoying Tomoya’s presence: She’s so strange that she gets on with Kerberossa perfectly and I like the way they simultaneously plan how to make Sakura a proper Magical Girl. I don’t know if its differing values, comedic licence or actual feelings, but it looks like Tomoya has a bit of a thing for Sakura. As there hasn’t been any more subtle signs (blushing, etc), I’m saying it’s just being done because it’s funny. In no way does that imply that I’m laughing at it.

The card was a bit disappointing. I was hoping for another pokémon-y thing, or at least some sort of fish, but we get an off-the-shelf man-shaped cloak. It had pretty cool powers, but I have to wonder why it was just committing petty vandalism. The Fly Card could have been just finding a place to roost, but this one was moving objects into untidy piles. I suppose that could be why the cards were said to bring disaster, but I was hoping for reality to either snap from their presence or retaliate nastily. Despite the boring design, I am looking forward to seeing what Sakura can do with it.

There's not much more that can be said about this episode. Tomoya is now part of the team, Sakura now has a new spell and a fashion designer at her disposal, and we've confirmed that Kerberos has enough power and knowledge to be potentially useful, even if I still don't see what Clow was thinking when he chose the griffin to guard the Cards. Aside from that, nothing has really changed.

Also, my speculation on Clow's appearance.
    (big image)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

All the cards (if I remember right) will have "The" in front of their names because they are loosely based on tarot cards (well tarot cards if your whole deck was face cards anyway), it's not bad English. They also all have names that describe what they do, so they're all going to be pretty mundane in that department.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Students cleaning the school is normal in Japan.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know where all Crunchy Roll is available to be watched, but it looks like they're posting all the episodes (you can watch it either subbed, or with a new dub up to eppisode 6 for now)

So for those of you who'd like to watch with Durkoala and have access to Crunchy Roll that's a thing.

Edit: Do know that the dub still apparently cuts/changes a few things, so it may still be better to stick to sub. (Also the dub vaing is mediocre and may or may not cause annoyance
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2014-08-13 at 04:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Ah yes, one of the fun things of this show, the fact that Tomoya is the one that makes Sakura's outfits instead of them appearing with magic. Well, the cast and powers are only going to grow from here.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I don’t know if its differing values, comedic licence or actual feelings, but it looks like Tomoya has a bit of a thing for Sakura. As there hasn’t been any more subtle signs (blushing, etc), I’m saying it’s just being done because it’s funny. In no way does that imply that I’m laughing at it. :smalltongue
    Hmm, even though you framed this as speculation and the answer to your implicit question isn't conclusively answered within the show till much later, I don't think it will hurt your enjoyment of the show to tell you that it is in fact c) actual feelings, which the show will treat with a huge amount of care and respect rather than using as a joke (That's not to say that the show won't sometimes make light of her filming hobby). I apologize in advance if this is the kind of info you'd rather have behind spoiler tags, but its really an important facet of Tomoya's character that's both lost on younger viewers and whitewashed out by the awful dub.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I recall after the second or third time watching this episode, it finally hit me about the significance of Tomoyo's costumes. Tomoyo tells us that she made the costumes. That's a huge vehicle full "magical girl costumes," all hand-made by Tomoyo for Sakura. That meant Tomoyo was making these costumes before she knew Sakura was a magical girl superhero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

17. - Top - End - #17

I have to keep on top of this, and not act like Tigger the delinquet Roman postman. In my defence, I did have some trouble getting the reply page to work yesterday (and today. Fingers crossed), but it was also partly down to my laziness.

Moving on past the apology, let's discuss things.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Ah yes, one of the fun things of this show, the fact that Tomoya is the one that makes Sakura's outfits instead of them appearing with magic. Well, the cast and powers are only going to grow from here.
    Please don't let it end up like DBZ...
    As I said in the first episode, I like transformation sequences. However, if their lack is repaid by having more than one costume, I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Students cleaning the school is normal in Japan.
    Well, I certainly wish it was a more widespread practice. It might make society a bit less wasteful and messy. /rant on the failings of humanity.

All the cards (if I remember right) will have "The" in front of their names because they are loosely based on tarot cards (well tarot cards if your whole deck was face cards anyway), it's not bad English. They also all have names that describe what they do, so they're all going to be pretty mundane in that department.
    I'm fine with the 'The'. It's having a power called 'The Fly' that's the problem: I think of a buzzing insect with a reputation of disease and filth. It wouldn't even be a particularly useful power, unless it summoned a giant one. This could have been avoided if it had been called 'The Flight'.

Quote Originally Posted by mallorean_thug View Post
    Hmm, even though you framed this as speculation and the answer to your implicit question isn't conclusively answered within the show till much later, I don't think it will hurt your enjoyment of the show to tell you that it is in fact c) actual feelings, which the show will treat with a huge amount of care and respect rather than using as a joke (That's not to say that the show won't sometimes make light of her filming hobby). I apologize in advance if this is the kind of info you'd rather have behind spoiler tags, but its really an important facet of Tomoya's character that's both lost on younger viewers and whitewashed out by the awful dub.
    No, it doesn't hurt my idea of the show, but it is the sort of thing I want in spoilers. It's talking about future events that sound like they will have deep effects on the characters. Please take more care in the future.
    Spoiler: Spoiler: Episode TBD
    Show
    Aside from that, this does sound like an intriguing development and I'm glad that it is handled respectfully. The filming thing is fine for comedy, in my opinion, because it's (a somewhat creepy) part of her personality, not just a "gay stalker" joke. Because Tomoya was using fairly overt (while still somwhat ambigious) gestures of adoration, I assumed it was just some homoerotic (ok, not quite the right word) comedy. Those jokes only really work if it goes against the "reality" of the character: If He-Man was said to be gay, it would be a horrible stereotype. But if the writers insist he is straight, while having him walk around in a fur skirt and an effeminate hairstyle, surrounded by rainbows, fairies, muscular men and very few women, it's hilarious.

...I'm even more thankful I chose to watch the sub now.

Now that this particular cat is out of the bag could we give it its own spoiler label so I can view it safely, or is it related to some other spoilers that I shouldn't see?
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2014-08-14 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The other thing is that the entity is named Fly, I suppose Clow should have named Fly, Flight instead, similar to how we have Windy instead of just Wind. And Shadow could have been...I dunno Shade maybe? Although those changes would make it sound awkward when talking about them in general and when releasing them.

I don't really mind any of the card names, but I grew up with them (CSS is one of my fav anime too) so I'm more than probably biased.

Spoiler: Tomoyo
    Show

To be honest I always felt like Tomoyo's love was more adoration/platonic love, rather than sexual attraction. Although that is in part because of their age. Maybe if they were older I might see it different, but I never got the feeling that Tomoyo literally wants to be with Sakura.

That's about all I have to say on that for now, I'd rather wait till Durkoala is further into the anime before really talking about Tomoyo much. This is partially because I think it's important, but also because I really need to rewatch the anime.

19. - Top - End - #19

The other thing is that the entity is named Fly, I suppose Clow should have named Fly, Flight instead, similar to how we have Windy instead of just Wind. And Shadow could have been...I dunno Shade maybe? Although those changes would make it sound awkward when talking about them in general and when releasing them.

I don't really mind any of the card names, but I grew up with them (CSS is one of my fav anime too) so I'm more than probably biased.
    'Shadows, form a binding chain! SHADE!' sounds pretty awesome imo.
    I don't think it's a serious problem, but I probably will not be easy on them for it, especially as they have shown that they can think up more creative names, like 'Windy'.

Also, no comments on the image? I was looking forward to that.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Well if you want an image comment I mostly thought it looked like Duncan from the Yogscast...? I don't really know what the picture is supposed to be of or referencing

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

My only problem with the naming system is that, out of three cards, we've got an adjective ("Windy"), a verb ("Fly"), and a noun ("Shadow"). Also, "The Fly" makes me think of Jeff Goldblum, while "The Shadow" makes me think of a radio star who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

...Oh, hey there. It's my first time watching the show, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well if you want an image comment I mostly thought it looked like Duncan from the Yogscast...? I don't really know what the picture is supposed to be of or referencing
    BINGO! It is Duncan!
    I thought that creating a book of apocalyptic cards and selecting a guardian without making sure that they're up to the job is exactly the sort of thing Duncan would do. (Like building a cannon that can only fire in one direction, quarantining his apprentice and then forgetting about her, or having a survival kit that includes a wok, machete, chainsaw, self-raising tent and a barrel of cider. Duncan's great.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    My only problem with the naming system is that, out of three cards, we've got an adjective ("Windy"), a verb ("Fly"), and a noun ("Shadow"). Also, "The Fly" makes me think of Jeff Goldblum, while "The Shadow" makes me think of a radio star who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men.

...Oh, hey there. It's my first time watching the show, too.
    I didn't notice that before. Now I have something else to irritate me.
    Ditto on 'The Fly', even if I haven't seen the film...

I'm afraid I have some bad news. Due to RL events, I'm going to be unable to post another episode for one or two weeks. I'm sorry, as I've been enjoying it so far, but I will pick it up again when I can.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Woot CCS rocks! Manliest magical girl anime evar!

Spoiler: big spoilers
    Show

Sakura's rival/final love is a boy whose magic wand is a badass sword almost as big as himself and sometimes just goes "screw magic, I know kung-fu!" to help capture the cards. And later on brings his own clingy girlfriend who's even better at kung-fu and can send statues as big as herself flying with her bare fists despite having no magic powers.

By the 2nd movie's start Sakura is using her magic to create colossal eldritch abominations just so she can one-shot them for Tomoyo's entertainment.

Durkoala:I'm kinda amused that you've considered that Sakura is 8 years old due to the way she acts. She's actually 10 at the start of the series, her brain's just a bit more on the, let's say, dense side. While in contrast Tomoyo thinks and acts in a much more mature way than her age would imply.

Also remember to watch the movies at the right moments, they add quite a lot to the plot!

Spoiler: Tomoyo
    Show

To be honest I always felt like Tomoyo's love was more adoration/platonic love, rather than sexual attraction. Although that is in part because of their age. Maybe if they were older I might see it different, but I never got the feeling that Tomoyo literally wants to be with Sakura.

That's about all I have to say on that for now, I'd rather wait till Durkoala is further into the anime before really talking about Tomoyo much. This is partially because I think it's important, but also because I really need to rewatch the anime.

Spoiler: On Tomoyo's relationship with Sakura
    Show

Tomoyo directly declares her deep love for Sakura at least once in the anime (more in the manga if I remember correctly), super flowery background included, but dense Sakura is dense and just thinks Tomoyo is saying they're best friends. Tomoyo insists that it is true love, and Sakura's brain can't process it and so she just goes all "hoe", thus Tomoyo gives up and just says that she'll "Explain it to you when you're older".

Also, Tomoyo has a personal cinema room in her house just so she can watch the videos she makes from Sakura. In private.

In the Song episode Tomoyo declares she sings her best when singing for Sakura.

But at the end of the day Tomoyo seems to just give up and go hyper platonic "if Sakura's happy, then I'm happy even if she isn't being happy with me", fully suppporting Syaoran to get her. She still records everything. And keeps making her clothes. And then even makes a custome for Syaoran.

No, Tomoyo doesn't care the city has being blown to pieces and everybody else is dead vanished, Sakura and Syaoran will wear the cute matching customes she sewn herself!

Of course, that isn't the only "weird" pairing in CCS.
    -Sakura's other friend and teacher at school.
    -Love triangle between Sakura's older brother and two artifical magic beings.
    -Some 20-year old shrine maiden with 40-year old man disguised as kid who has the memories of Clow that was hundreds of year old.

Last edited by deuterio12; 2014-08-15 at 07:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I thought that this was supposed to be one of the first Magical Girl anime?
    Not really.

BORING ANIME HISTORY LESSON:

The first "Magical Girl" show was Sally the Witch, back in 1966(!). Old-style MG shows were mostly young girls using magic to solve their personal problems (usually, by replacing them with much bigger problems ) and sometimes transforming into an older, more glamorous appearance as well. Shows like Hime-chan's Ribbon or Fancy Lala are pretty typical of this type. Magical girls who fight monsters might not have started with Sailor Moon (1992), but she certainly popularized that sub-type, to the point where it's what most Westerners expect when we hear 'magical girl'.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

No, it doesn't hurt my idea of the show, but it is the sort of thing I want in spoilers. It's talking about future events that sound like they will have deep effects on the characters. Please take more care in the future.
    Spoiler: Spoiler: Episode TBD
    Show
    Aside from that, this does sound like an intriguing development and I'm glad that it is handled respectfully. The filming thing is fine for comedy, in my opinion, because it's (a somewhat creepy) part of her personality, not just a "gay stalker" joke. Because Tomoya was using fairly overt (while still somwhat ambigious) gestures of adoration, I assumed it was just some homoerotic (ok, not quite the right word) comedy. Those jokes only really work if it goes against the "reality" of the character: If He-Man was said to be gay, it would be a horrible stereotype. But if the writers insist he is straight, while having him walk around in a fur skirt and an effeminate hairstyle, surrounded by rainbows, fairies, muscular men and very few women, it's hilarious.

...I'm even more thankful I chose to watch the sub now.

Now that this particular cat is out of the bag could we give it its own spoiler label so I can view it safely, or is it related to some other spoilers that I shouldn't see?
    Some people are labeling spoilers "Tomoyo relationship" with a lot of down the line spoilers that you shouldn't be looking at. But it is good to note that some of the terms and implications mallorean_thug used is debated in rather heated fashion among the fans, and I think things should be clear that people should avoid further non-spoilered-discussion about the topic.

Your the OP but I think the easiest rule to expect people to actually follow is to insist people put in spoilers only and anything that spoils the show for Durkoala at that point.

To everyone else: Durkoala will be likely off-base on a lot of speculation and first impressions because he's view impression ing the show for the first time. No matter how much a particular impression is off any argument should be kept in spoilers if there is any future insight involved and it is perhaps better to avoid arguing with Durkoala's impressions altogether. I'd rather read about an OPs first impressions rather than his reactions to how individual episodes and reveals matches other peoples criticisms.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2014-08-17 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    a bunch of spoilery stuff

Um yeah, exactly which part of "I need to rewatch" and "I don't want to talk about this until Durkoala is there" did you not understand?

I watched CCS more than 10 years ago, thanks to crunchy roll I can rewatch it with Durkoala which is pretty fun.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Um yeah, exactly which part of "I need to rewatch" and "I don't want to talk about this until Durkoala is there" did you not understand?

I watched CCS more than 10 years ago, thanks to crunchy roll I can rewatch it with Durkoala which is pretty fun.
    I honestly apologize for that, I kinda went into super nerd mode there.

I first watched CCS for the first time over 15 years ago when I was pretty young, then again when they passed it once more on my local TV some 10 years ago, then I managed to get hold of the manga, then the movies some years later, and since then I've slowly collected and watched the original in japanese with subtitles (first watched the portuguese dub, seems like it was pretty faithful unlike the english dub). I still now and then rewatch my favorite scenes.

CCS was the series that seriously got me into anime, and will always hold a special place in my heart. Heck, whenever I go into an anime event and there's karaoke, I will sing one of the CCS starting/ending songs with pride. Again, apologies for the spoilers and I hope you also enjoy yourself rewatching the whole thing!
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2014-08-17 at 04:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have to admit, the opening song is pretty catchy.

Side note: Does Sakura have a doll of herself over her bed? That's kind of adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

29. - Top - End - #29

As promised, I can't give you an episode today, but I thought I'd check in to see how the thread's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Not really.

BORING ANIME HISTORY LESSON:
    Thanks! I like history lessons that are shorter than four paragraphs. Isn't that generally the plot of most kids programmes ever, though? And does that mean that the idea of a magical girl having a signature pose was already well established like Tomoya implies?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Some people are labeling spoilers "Tomoyo relationship" with a lot of down the line spoilers that you shouldn't be looking at. But it is good to note that some of the terms and implications mallorean_thug used is debated in rather heated fashion among the fans, and I think things should be clear that people should avoid further non-spoilered-discussion about the topic.

You're the OP but I think the easiest rule to expect people to actually follow is to insist people put in spoilers only and anything that spoils the show for Durkoala at that point.
    Great, so I don't know what's going on anymore. It's probably best that I forget everthing that was said.

Also, thanks. For benefit of everyone else: Can you please spoiler information that I haven't got to yet and, if you can remember, please put the relevant episode in the title. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    I honestly apologize for that, I kinda went into super nerd mode there.

I first watched CCS for the first time over 15 years ago when I was pretty young, then again when they passed it once more on my local TV some 10 years ago, then I managed to get hold of the manga, then the movies some years later, and since then I've slowly collected and watched the original in japanese with subtitles (first watched the portuguese dub, seems like it was pretty faithful unlike the english dub). I still now and then rewatch my favorite scenes.

CCS was the series that seriously got me into anime, and will always hold a special place in my heart. Heck, whenever I go into an anime event and there's karaoke, I will sing one of the CCS starting/ending songs with pride. Again, apologies for the spoilers and I hope you also enjoy yourself rewatching the whole thing!
    It's Ok, I didn't see what was written before it was edited. However, please be careful in the future.
    That said, I understand exactly what you mean about loving a show enough for it to override sensibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewthario
    Side note: Does Sakura have a doll of herself over her bed? That's kind of adorable.
    I noticed that earlier, but forgot to mention it. I think it's pretty weird. Did her mother make it or something?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, it's quite impressive that an anime so old still looks so good when compared to the most recent stuff coming out there.

Thanks! I like history lessons that are shorter than four paragraphs. Isn't that generally the plot of most kids programmes ever, though? And does that mean that the idea of a magical girl having a signature pose was already well established like Tomoya implies?
    Yes.

I would also add to the history lession that Card Captor Sakura was one of the first magical girl animes to get widely distributed outside Japan. The only other such anime that got anywhere as much popularity before in other countries was Sailor Moon.

And to that we can add that CCS was a turning pointing in the genre, with many later magical girl animes directly borrowing stuff first introduced here.

I noticed that earlier, but forgot to mention it. I think it's pretty weird. Did her mother make it or something?
    No.
    Spoiler: Minor spoiler, you can probably safely read it
    Show

Tomoyo made it. As a "test dummy" for Sakura's new customes before starting to make real-life sized ones. As implied in episode 2 that you already saw, Tomoyo has been sewing for Sakura for quite some time now.

Only revealed around mid-season though, can't remember exact episode.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2014-08-19 at 05:06 PM.