New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What's so great about Erfworld?

See, Alfryd, I don't think it's got anything to do with one not liking fantasy roleplaying. Generally if you have to ask, "I don't get it. I really must be missing something. Why... why would... why would fingernails be involved? I am confused." ... then much of Erfworld is going to just pass you by, I think, and no amount of explanation would make it funnier.

I don't know how else to put it. It's a rather niche appeal (not all that narrow of a niche, I think), but the internet is a perfect place to appeal to a niche market, and Erfworld appeals to my niche amazingly well. I think that's the case for at least several thousand people already.
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Alfryd View Post
    I don't get it. I really must be missing something. Why... why would... why would fingernails be involved? I am confused.
    I can't resist. The question isn't why would fingernails be involved. The question is why wouldn't fingernails be involved!
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It seems like the comic's entire sense of humor stems from the fact that the writer is giving everything stupid names... can someone please enlighten me as to what's so funny about it?
    The answer is Mu.

Mu is correlated with heat as long as there is motion. This is why all the best webcomics have fora. Topics like "Is Stanley Evil" allow the heat to vent harmlessly in inconsequential flamewars.
    Proudly defending the Tool from the unholy forces of Cuteness and Plush.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

You are using crazy science to deflect the issue. Oh noes! We must believe your crazy science because we are uneducated masses! Ones who are craving something involving eggs and/or sandwiches of some kind.

The Innuendor strikes again! Dun dun DUN!

What is Elan doing in an Erfworld thread?
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Closed Account

Any why question has only one correct answer, and that is "why not?".

Jamie shows his brilliance once more.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    You are using crazy science to deflect the issue. Oh noes! We must believe your crazy science because we are uneducated masses!
    Well, that's what crazy science is for.

Fools! I'll destroy you all!
    Proudly defending the Tool from the unholy forces of Cuteness and Plush.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Now, I'll pre-empt this with the caveat that nothing I'm going to say will likely make you enjoy Erfworld more than you already do. Or don't, it seams.

But I'll try to give you an insight as to why it's growing on me.
    1) the artwork is is of obvious quality, and the style is chosen to match and contrast the events being depicted. There's a lot of thought going into this, which I appreciate.

2) the plot, characters and background keep referencing things I'm familiar with, and I know only people like me are familiar with. This makes me feel that the artists and I and the audience have a lot in common. This is a good, comfortable feeling.

3) yes, the general plot is something we've all seen before. But the art and dialogue tell us that the artists know this too, and so I'm willing to believe that we're going to get a twist down the track which makes a difference.

4) the characters are making the story. Parson, Stanly, Wanda, Jillions, etc., are all characters that we're getting to know, and each of them is clearly complex enough to make this particular version of "A Connecticutt Yankie in King Arthur's Court" unique. I want to know more about them, and who will win, lose, survive, die, fall in love, get their heart broken, or whatever the writers have in store.

5) there are a lot of things about the world of Erfworld that we don't know: why the lisping names of only some of the creatures and places? Why is an Arkentool a toy hammer? Why do the Titans look like Elvises? Why are there vampires siding with elves? etc. Now, some of these may be just absurdist humour, but I think there are enough common themes to point to more coherent explanations in the offing.

I'm not really finished, but that'll do for now, before the wall of text falls on me.
    Last edited by Mr Teufel; 2007-03-19 at 07:23 AM.
    Roy Greenhilt Memorial Fan Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    Save the party leader, save the world.
    Life does not consist of level-appropriate encounters.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

tongue Re: What's so great about Erfworld?

Quote Originally Posted by sethdarkwater View Post
    Is it funny- meh. Is the story all that great- its ok. Hows the art- Inconcivable! For me, I wasn't interseted untill parson showed up in the comic. Yes I get the inside jokes. Some of which only the oobernerdy can keep up with, but they are only ok. Good for an under my breath chuckle. After parson came on board the characters began to flesh themselves out, and I like that. ANd as I sais the artwork is so cool in all its outlandishness.
    Yes, I know I'm quoting myself. I recently just reread it all in one go and was breathless. Stupid, stupid me. As a one shoter its only ok. But put it all together and its supurb. Alot of the humor I was missing, comes to life when pages are combined. The story is unique and captivating. Oh boy have I been blind. My apologies.
    PresidentTool of the Cloth Golem Fanclub!
    Member of the Mr. Scruffy FanClub

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sethdarkwater View Post
    Yes, I know I'm quoting myself. I recently just reread it all in one go and was breathless. Stupid, stupid me. As a one shoter its only ok. But put it all together and its supurb. Alot of the humor I was missing, comes to life when pages are combined. The story is unique and captivating. Oh boy have I been blind. My apologies.
    yeah, it's fun on a case-by-case basis but it helps to reread, if not the whole thing, at least the last 5-10 pages every so often. It really gets better in big chunks :)
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.