New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Easiest way to become a god?

Quote Originally Posted by Gracht Grabmaw View Post
    Just because you shoot Jesse James don't make you Jesse James.
    If I'm not wrong, it only makes you a coward.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Pan151 View Post
    So... you get the abilities of DvR 0.

At that point, does it really matter if the book calls you as having DvR 0?
    Where does it state you get DvR 0?

Immortality (Ex): A 12th-level dragon ascendant is actually a quasi-deity, and can no longer die from natural causes. It does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. It can still be slain in physical or magical combat, and it is still subject to death from massive damage.
    Where is the mention of DvR0, or Deities and Demigods rules in there? Especially when later on the same prestige class it gives its examples of quoting from another source;

Code of Conduct
    A dragon ascendant must be absolutely true to the principles of its alignment, whatever they may be. A dragon ascendant loses its awesome aura if it ever willingly commits an act opposed to its alignment (and it does not regain its frightful presence), and it cannot gain more levels as a dragon ascendant. The dragon can regain its awesome aura and once more advance in the dragon ascendant prestige class if it atones for its violations (see the atonement spell in the Player's Handbook), as appropriate.
    Also, earlier in the book it refers to Deities and Demigods in reference to Bahamut and Tiamat (page 31) for their stats as Deities, something that is not referenced anywhere else in the book, least of all the entry. It takes some intentional misreading to get that.

And yes, it does matter, because there's a difference between having Divine Rank, and not having divine rank. Although as mentioned, the last time this reading was put forward to the same question, the dragon is at least 42HD by this stage, with the WBL the size of US national debt. Why it would weaken itself by eating its entire hoard to become a deity when it can just kill one is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Vaz; 2014-08-08 at 06:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Something interesting... A venerable dragonwrought kobold could take the Epic Destiny (demigod) feat at 1st level. If he also manages to generate infinite money (wall of salt FTW!) he'd be able to hire a few heroes, sic them at his Destiny Quest, and then finish it himself, becoming a deity as early as 1st level.

To get someone to cast a wall of salt for you, you need 280 GP. Gaining this is simple. Buy 10 foot ladders from this. Chop them to pieces and gain 2 10 foot poles, which you sell. Repeat until you have enough money for a wall of salt. Then repeat until you have enough money for epic level adventurers to be interested in.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon Ascendant says that you become a quasi-deity, and Deities and Demigods says that quasi-deities have DR 0. QED.

And while there isn't any RAW support for killing a god giving you its divine rank, there is another method that works, if you have control of the god (like one created via Simulacrum): Order it to make you a proxy.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Dragon Ascendant says that you become a quasi-deity, and Deities and Demigods says that quasi-deities have DR 0. QED.
    QED, there's no reference towards Deities and Demigods, unlike there is elsewhere within the book, when it makes reference to statting an actual god, or even regarding the PHB when it refers to seeking atonement for violating its alignment. QED, it doesn't reference it. And if you do go by the saying that it becomes a Quasi-deity, then the DM can just remove him from the game.

Offer the character the opportunity to become a quasi-deity (divine rank 0).

This removes the troublesome character from the mortal realm, allowing the player to start over with something more manageable or to find another game. Quasi-deities often play little or no part in campaign religions, existing mostly for flavor and working as the servants or companions of more powerful gods. So the impact on your overall religious structure may be minimal.
    Also, every mention where Quasi-deity is mentioned in deities and demigods is Quasi-deity (Divine Rank 0), which is seperate from Quasi-deity.

A 12th-level dragon ascendant is actually a quasi-deity, and can no longer die from natural causes.
    Define natural causes - does this include poison? Does this include diseases? Old age? If you really want to get into how it interacts with the english language, natural causes doesn't actually include Old Age, so you'd still die of old age.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    QED, there's no reference towards Deities and Demigods, unlike there is elsewhere within the book, when it makes reference to statting an actual god, or even regarding the PHB when it refers to seeking atonement for violating its alignment. QED, it doesn't reference it. And if you do go by the saying that it becomes a Quasi-deity, then the DM can just remove him from the game.
    If all D&D books had to mention it whenever they reference another book, then WOTC would have to add +20 pages per book.

If people read the Draconomicon without even seeing a reference to the gods of dragonkind themselves, then it is just weird. However, if they add references for every little tidbit, then it is even weirder.

The rules are what they are. Assuming that the term 'quasi-deity' differs between books without any book stating this is just faulty logic.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

@Xul - using my method, you can do so at whatever level you can afford a scroll of Lesser Planar Ally.
    Im not saying its wrong but:

1. Where does it say killing a deity makes you become one yourself.

2. Does it count if you are killing, not a deity but an illusory duplicate of a deity?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

If you are even asking the question "Does a dragon ascendant have DR 0", then Deities and Demigods must be in use at your table, because if it's not, then the question doesn't make any sense. If Deities and Demigods is in use, then its rules concerning deities apply to deities in your game. Thus, if Deities and Demigods states that quasi-deities have DR 0, then any quasi-deity in your game has DR 0.

All of this is kind of moot, though, since DR 0 isn't really all that big a deal. Everything it gives can be gotten through other, easier methods, and it's not really any easier to go from DR 0 to DR 1 than it is to go from mortal to DR 1. It's DR 1 (or higher) where all the goodies really start.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Something interesting... A venerable dragonwrought kobold could take the Epic Destiny (demigod) feat at 1st level. If he also manages to generate infinite money (wall of salt FTW!) he'd be able to hire a few heroes, sic them at his Destiny Quest, and then finish it himself, becoming a deity as early as 1st level.
    Not really. Dragons can take Epic feats before 21st level but must still qualify for prereqs, and the prereq for Epic Destiny is "21st level." Even if you could gain the feat at 1st level, you still wouldn't get the effects until levels 21, 24, 27, and 30.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Not really. Dragons can take Epic feats before 21st level but must still qualify for prereqs, and the prereq for Epic Destiny is "21st level." Even if you could gain the feat at 1st level, you still wouldn't get the effects until levels 21, 24, 27, and 30.
    Epic Destinies work as follows.

You give up your 21st, 24th, 27th, and 30th level feat and gain the benefits of the epic destiny at those levels. With a variant, you give up your 12th, 15th, and 18th level feats and gain the benefits at those levels and at 20th level instead. Level prerequisites are also lowered, as none lack the 21st level requirement. With the non-epic epic destinies variant, level requirements are reduced to 12.

It is not a feat. It is not a set of feats. It replaces feats.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Epic Destinies work as follows.

You give up your 21st, 24th, 27th, and 30th level feat and gain the benefits of the epic destiny at those levels. With a variant, you give up your 12th, 15th, and 18th level feats and gain the benefits at those levels and at 20th level instead. Level prerequisites are also lowered, as none lack the 21st level requirement. With the non-epic epic destinies variant, level requirements are reduced to 12.

It is not a feat. It is not a set of feats. It replaces feats.
    Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5
    New Feat: Epic Destiny

You have a destiny beyond that of other adventurers.

Prerequisite: 21st level, any other requirements listed in the epic destiny's description.

Benefit: Choose an epic destiny. You gain that epic destiny's benefits at 21st, 24th, 27th, and 30th level. When you have this feat, you do not gain additional feats at 24th, 27th, or 30th level.
    Seems like a feat to ME, and one that requires you be 21st level to take. You could take it at 12th level if you use that variant, but you can't take it at 1st level either way, and you can't gain the benefits all at once either.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    Im not saying its wrong but:

1. Where does it say killing a deity makes you become one yourself.

2. Does it count if you are killing, not a deity but an illusory duplicate of a deity?
    I forgot the part where you have the simacrum give you the divine rank, which is how PunPun ascends. I don't see why it wouldn't as your simulacrum has a DvR which it can give to you.

In regards to the Chronos' point regarding having Deities and Demigods in play, of course it is required. But it doesn't reference rules from it like it does elsehwere in the book, and also given that the PrC shows how it references other books in regards to the PHB, it leads to one of two points;

Pithy fluff made to seem epic without realising that there was an actual term for something similar (Quasi Deity (Divine Rank 0)), or it was intended, but didn't explicitly reference so like it does elsehwere in the book.

However : don't do it. You are weakening yourself.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    One of my friends had this down.

1. Make a demiplane (accelerated time is optional but preferred). Make it fertile and very habitable. Recast Gensis regularly to keep it growing.
    2. Find a population of humanoids that reproduce quickly (he plans to use kobolds). Again, reproduction rate isn't necessary, just makes it faster.
    3. Secretly begin causing natural disasters to the population. Drive them to the brink of being wiped out. Then appear and offer them a safe place where their civilization can flourish. Send them to your demiplane.
    4. Ensure that small problems occur at interval, and appear to solve them. Make sure to make at least one (preferably 2) appearances per generation.
    5. Over several generations (this is why accelerated time and fast breeding species are better), they will come to worship you. Boom, godhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Why bother with existing humanoids? Cast a War Spell Awaken on a bunch of rats. Then you also have the benefit of being tremendous.
    Took these gems and put a little extra method behind it, criticisms welcome as I'm sure I slipped up somewhere.

Spoiler: Becoming a God
    Show
    1. Groundwork: Take the creation domain through either the Arcane Disciple feat or Cleric levels. Attain use of the awaken spell any number of ways.

2. Final Pieces: Make a pact with a devil in order to gain a 9th level spell slot. Also buy a male rabbit and a female rabbit.

3. Creation: Use Genesis with your Creation domain and 9th level slot to create a habitable demiplane with highly accelerated time. (Maybe a week for every material plane round?) Take whatever steps are required via shopping or spellcasting to ensure that in addition to water your demiplane has sufficient, benign foliage. (Include trees which are good for lumber.)

4. Awakening: Take your two rabbits to your beautiful, new demiplane. (You may want to buy them later on if plane creation took too long, but with the time acceleration it shouldn’t.) Awaken the two rabbits and explain to their newly intelligent selves that they are essentially Adam and Eve.

5. Maintenance: As time passes rapidly in your demiplane (you spending downtime in the material plane) the rabbits should use their intelligence to develop. Using lumber to build houses, farming the plants they eat, you may even want to teach them these things, but all the while they will be breeding like.. well rabbits. With their society rapidly developing, pop into their affairs occasionally to grant them nice things or save them from false dangers. This should solidify you as their god. Be sure as they revere you more and more you introduce the concept of worship to them as well.

6. Benefits: With the numbers of worshippers assigned to each Divine Rank it shouldn’t take long to achieve your demigod status along the way, and simply go up from there. This will grant you an easier time with maintaining the image of a god in the rabbit people’s eyes as you will begin to actually be able to offer divine favors. You may want to use extra casts of Genesis over time to help their expansion. Always remember to check in though, and regular check-in is the factor that will make you want to choose how accelerated your time is very carefully. In the end though, enjoy godhood!
    You can call me Daryll if you want.

"I am everything you want me to be, but nothing you expect me to be."

Thurbane's signature is far more useful than mine.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    Well...

Seems like a feat to ME, and one that requires you be 21st level to take. You could take it at 12th level if you use that variant, but you can't take it at 1st level either way, and you can't gain the benefits all at once either.
    I stand corrected, but my point still stands that such tricks don't work.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic29 View Post
    Took these gems and put a little extra method behind it, criticisms welcome as I'm sure I slipped up somewhere.

Spoiler: Becoming a God
    Show
    1. Groundwork: Take the creation domain through either the Arcane Disciple feat or Cleric levels. Attain use of the awaken spell any number of ways.

2. Final Pieces: Make a pact with a devil in order to gain a 9th level spell slot. Also buy a male rabbit and a female rabbit.

3. Creation: Use Genesis with your Creation domain and 9th level slot to create a habitable demiplane with highly accelerated time. (Maybe a week for every material plane round?) Take whatever steps are required via shopping or spellcasting to ensure that in addition to water your demiplane has sufficient, benign foliage. (Include trees which are good for lumber.)

4. Awakening: Take your two rabbits to your beautiful, new demiplane. (You may want to buy them later on if plane creation took too long, but with the time acceleration it shouldn’t.) Awaken the two rabbits and explain to their newly intelligent selves that they are essentially Adam and Eve.

5. Maintenance: As time passes rapidly in your demiplane (you spending downtime in the material plane) the rabbits should use their intelligence to develop. Using lumber to build houses, farming the plants they eat, you may even want to teach them these things, but all the while they will be breeding like.. well rabbits. With their society rapidly developing, pop into their affairs occasionally to grant them nice things or save them from false dangers. This should solidify you as their god. Be sure as they revere you more and more you introduce the concept of worship to them as well.

6. Benefits: With the numbers of worshippers assigned to each Divine Rank it shouldn’t take long to achieve your demigod status along the way, and simply go up from there. This will grant you an easier time with maintaining the image of a god in the rabbit people’s eyes as you will begin to actually be able to offer divine favors. You may want to use extra casts of Genesis over time to help their expansion. Always remember to check in though, and regular check-in is the factor that will make you want to choose how accelerated your time is very carefully. In the end though, enjoy godhood!
    Or you could just create a repeating trap of Sanctum Spell'd Shades (so any 9th it emulates counts as an 8th) and use it to emulate Genesis.

Also, you'd want more than two rabbits, unless you want them with six legs, three heads, and twelve eyes.

16. - Top - End - #46

Step 1: Take Craft (Wordsmithing)
    Step 2: Cast Genesis
    Step 3: Write a book about it
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities... Quickly please, before they are out of range."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!!"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Well... the easiest way to become a god in a game is to play one that assumes that you are from the get-go, such as Dawn of Worlds.

Or bribe the DM.

Or be the DM ... actually, scratch that. DMing is hard.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2014-08-09 at 08:22 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Play Pathfinder. Be in a Mythic Campaign. Take Beyond Morality upon reaching Mythic Tier 3, take Divine Source (Luck Domain) upon reaching Mythic Tier 4. Get to Tier 9 : you can now cast Miracle as a SLA, for free. Go around granting your own Miracles. Use one of the myriad ways to live forever. Become legitimately worshiped by the populace. Profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

19. - Top - End - #49

In regards to the Chronos' point regarding having Deities and Demigods in play, of course it is required. But it doesn't reference rules from it like it does elsehwere in the book, and also given that the PrC shows how it references other books in regards to the PHB, it leads to one of two points;

Pithy fluff made to seem epic without realising that there was an actual term for something similar (Quasi Deity (Divine Rank 0)), or it was intended, but didn't explicitly reference so like it does elsehwere in the book.
    This first point is unlikely as most of the benefits gained by leveling up in the Dragon Ascendant PrC are the same as gained by being DR 0.
    Thus it would be unlikely that the person who wrote the prestige class was unaware of the term for DR 0 deities.
    Last edited by Graypairofsocks; 2014-08-09 at 11:35 PM.
    Bane of disrudisplorkians, and loremaster.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Or you could just create a repeating trap of Sanctum Spell'd Shades (so any 9th it emulates counts as an 8th) and use it to emulate Genesis.
    I can't find anything on that trap, what book do I need to dig in?
    You can call me Daryll if you want.

"I am everything you want me to be, but nothing you expect me to be."

Thurbane's signature is far more useful than mine.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic29 View Post
    I can't find anything on that trap, what book do I need to dig in?
    Dungeon Master's Guide or the SRD. Magic traps ahoy. Dungeonscape also talks about beneficial traps.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-08-10 at 07:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Use the Shadow Plane to travel to Golarion, take the Test of the Starstone, beat the most difficult dungeon your DM can think of, expand to other Crystal Spheres in the traditional deity manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatosia View Post
    Be born/created as one.

Pretty effortless really.... all the other methods are a lot more work.
    Nah, far too much chance of ending up stillborn/aborted/miscarried as an Atropus or Atropal or whatever. There's a reason the Gods aren't having proper God-children anymore.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-08-10 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide