New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Let me rephrase that
    I haven't seen anyone manage to play them differently enough to make a distinction. And it's more of a mental distinction than anything else. CN just always seems to end up being "GM said not evil but I wanna be evil"
    Sounds a bit like my experience with people playing Paladins — It's never of question of if they are going to fall, but only when; and then it's always full on CEdom — "GM said not evil but I wanna be evil, so I'll play a Paladin"
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Sounds a bit like my experience with people playing Paladins — It's never of question of if they are going to fall, but only when; and then it's always full on CEdom — "GM said not evil but I wanna be evil, so I'll play a Paladin"
    A long time ago I played a LG paladin who had a holier than thou attitude. His stance was that the law was all that mattered , and it must be upheld. Period. Anything that threatened the law was evil. Full on black and white view of the world. He had no conscience and his only purpose was to uphold and enforce the law. The campaign lasted for about 6 months and I came to realize that in the right light, you could twist and contort this mindset to get to do anything you want. It really shed light onto the idea of the dangers of trying to have a law for everything and show in black and white the boundaries of "common sense" type laws. It kind of made the concept of laws and punishment seem like the bad guy. Being that laws are absolute and uncompromising, kind of like my paladin was.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But Monks must be Lawful...
    Ah, but he was the Dalai Suema.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I think someone mentioned the ridiculousness of the Code of Conduct of the Paladin of Slaughter. I think every paladin of slaughter has two sacks: One full of kittens and one full of puppies, and they kick it around at times they feel like they're slacking off in their code.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    I think someone mentioned the ridiculousness of the Code of Conduct of the Paladin of Slaughter. I think every paladin of slaughter has two sacks: One full of kittens and one full of puppies, and they kick it around at times they feel like they're slacking off in their code.
    Don't be silly. All you have to do is KILL EVERYTHING
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    Don't be silly. All you have to do is KILL EVERYTHING
    So they go full Khorne?.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

7. - Top - End - #367

SwashbucklerGuy

I know, I feel like "committing a Good act" is so open to DM interpretation. I mean, "evil" is a pretty strong word, that's like burning down an orphanage because a typo put you on the insurance paperwork. But good...

"I hold the door as the old woman walks out of the apothecary."

"What?"

"...I'm holding the door open."

"BLOOD-RED LIGHTNING ARCS IN THE HEAVENS AS DEMONS RISE UP FROM BELOW! 'YOU HAVE FAILED US!', THEY CRY, AS YOU FEEL YOUR MASTER STRIP YOU OF YOUR POWERS!"

"...But I was just holding a door open!"

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

False. By not killing them you have failed to commit an evil act.

Honestly, I prefer the part where you must disrespect authority figures. So if you somehow get a chance to meet the king, you're required to walk up to him, fart in his face, pee in his wine, and attempt to screw his wife. Then murder him.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

9. - Top - End - #369
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

So they go full Khorne?.
    I honestly have no idea what that means...

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

i honestly have no idea what that means...
    blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!
    Never really did get into Warhammer anyways... Figures that everyone on here loves it...

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Never really did get into Warhammer anyways... Figures that everyone on here loves it...
    Nah, I just know it because its the source for "Boom for the Boom God! Loot for the Loot Throne!" that was mentioned in a certain fanfic of an anime I read.
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

13. - Top - End - #373

At one point or another it gets quoted in my games, also I love the 40k lore, but the cost is prohibitive... Then again, I play Warmachine, so the joke's on me :/.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Nah, I just know it because its the source for "Boom for the Boom God! Loot for the Loot Throne!" that was mentioned in a certain fanfic of an anime I read.
    Reminds me of my creed for Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. ''Hands for the hand god, spines for the spine throne, and blood for me.''
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

15. - Top - End - #375

My DM banned me from playing a goblin. When I asked him why, he told me that it was because goblins having +4 to Move Silently and Ride and Darkvision would unbalance the game. I pointed out most of the PHB races had much better traits than that. He told me he was comparing it to the Half-orc race. When I told him the core Half-orc was weaker than the other PHB races as well and had Darkvision, he said 'No, it isn't. It must as powerful as the others because the game designers couldn't make a mistake designing their own game.' When I asked him about the Darkvision, he said that he hadn't known that Half-orcs have it and that they shouldn't because it was overpowered.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I know, I feel like "committing a Good act" is so open to DM interpretation. I mean, "evil" is a pretty strong word, that's like burning down an orphanage because a typo put you on the insurance paperwork. But good...

"I hold the door as the old woman walks out of the apothecary."

"What?"

"...I'm holding the door open."

"BLOOD-RED LIGHTNING ARCS IN THE HEAVENS AS DEMONS RISE UP FROM BELOW! 'YOU HAVE FAILED US!', THEY CRY, AS YOU FEEL YOUR MASTER STRIP YOU OF YOUR POWERS!"

"...But I was just holding a door open!"
    "Holding the door open was an evil act, because it created the expectation in this old lady that people will hold doors open for her. Later, when people don't, it will grate on her and will poison her relationships with others, leading her to become embittered and cruel."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Halfling in the Playground

ok, so my DM banned Arcane strike. that was all... He said it was way OP.

then he introduced something called a Meteor Enchanted maul which he let us reproduce. The light one-handed hammer did 1d10 damage and 18 crit x4, and everytime you crit you got an AoE Meteor bashing on your enemy. which did not provoke a reflex save :p
    Last edited by andysowhat; 2014-10-09 at 02:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, I just had a DM in a group I found ban any and all sources of flight. Needless to say, I just walked away as soon as I heard that.
    Last edited by Svata; 2014-10-09 at 02:22 PM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Welp, I just had a DM in a group I found ban any and all sources of flight. Needless to say, I just walked away as soon as I heard that.

No sun? You should've just played a vampire instead then.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    I don't know if they just edited it in, but it says flight, not light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    I think you misread that. Said flight, not light. And it was starting at third level, so that wouldn't have worked anyway.

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It originally said light.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that the edit was half an hour before the response, and it says flight in the quote, and the fact that all I did in the edit was add in the last sentence, no, it said flight from the time I posted it.
    Last edited by Svata; 2014-10-09 at 03:18 PM. Reason: This time I did make a typo.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Either way banning flight's far from unheard of, it tends to leave the game a bit more tactical and opens up some areas for encounters rather than just flying over everything. Not that bad really, I've seen some fantastic groups/games that used it and seemed to have a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

25. - Top - End - #385

My DM banned VoP Monk in our current run-through of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Granted, I had built a Monk/Fist of the Forest and was planning to go into into Bear Warrior and Warshaper as well, but you have to do **** like that to make VoP Monk even remotely work.

In fact, he bans the entire BoED because he says everything in it is OP.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, forgot one part from my previous story because of how relatively minor it was. Remember how i mentioned she essentially banned things that allowed you to interact with traps without using up resources? She also had a similar rule about any attempt at NPC interaction. Basically, the skills related to it (sense motive, diplomacy, bluff) were all banned. in place of that, your convincing ability and ability to tell a good lie is decided by you making the speech IC, and then she fiats its success or failure.Your ability to figure out when others are lying is non-existent, because any attempt to call someone's bluff results in instant accusations of metagaming, regardless of how airtight of a case you could make (Yes, the person you accuse of being a vampire certaintly is. Despite the fact he's taken hundreds of points of healing at once to positive benefit,naps in the sun, hasn't gone crazy from lack of blood (which we know he couldn't be getting, because we've had a warforged watch over him), has been in the "dying" state, and had trouble with an antilife shell). She seemed to have no problem with how this meant that an in-game ability is based purely on out-of-game skill. I mean, I know diplomacy could use a fix, but this was ridiculous.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot one part from my previous story because of how relatively minor it was. Remember how i mentioned she essentially banned things that allowed you to interact with traps without using up resources? She also had a similar rule about any attempt at NPC interaction. Basically, the skills related to it (sense motive, diplomacy, bluff) were all banned. in place of that, your convincing ability and ability to tell a good lie is decided by you making the speech IC, and then she fiats its success or failure.Your ability to figure out when others are lying is non-existent, because any attempt to call someone's bluff results in instant accusations of metagaming, regardless of how airtight of a case you could make (Yes, the person you accuse of being a vampire certaintly is. Despite the fact he's taken hundreds of points of healing at once to positive benefit,naps in the sun, hasn't gone crazy from lack of blood (which we know he couldn't be getting, because we've had a warforged watch over him), has been in the "dying" state, and had trouble with an antilife shell). She seemed to have no problem with how this meant that an in-game ability is based purely on out-of-game skill. I mean, I know diplomacy could use a fix, but this was ridiculous.
    For my next campaign, I'm going to demand that players who play martial classes actually know how to swordfight, and have them demonstrate every attack and parry they make on my livingroom floor before I judge wether they take or deal damage or not.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    For my next campaign, I'm going to demand that players who play martial classes actually know how to swordfight, and have them demonstrate every attack and parry they make on my livingroom floor before I judge wether they take or deal damage or not.
    Why the living room floor when you can have a swimming pool full of jello? Fight for your damage values and my entertainment!

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Smallest View Post
    'No, it isn't. It must as powerful as the others because the game designers couldn't make a mistake designing their own game.'
    HAHAHAHAHA

This guy's never heard of a phenomenon called 'Emergent Behavior', I take it...

And anyone who plays a spell caster has to be able to _actually_ do magic, right?
    Last edited by Arbane; 2014-10-09 at 04:42 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

It usually doesn't bother me that I can't favorite a post on this forum, but then something beautiful like this is said where all I have to offer is my agreement, and I notice the lack.