New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Most nonsensical ban you've played under

Quote Originally Posted by Reshy View Post
    It's specifically mentioned in the rules of the game that they can do that. How does it make sense?
    Mostly because characters being that powerful tends to rustle the jimmies of most groups.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Two of the people in my playing group, as DM, refused to allow choosing your actions on the fly. For some reason they both thought it was ludicrous that, for example, if you chose to full-attack a creature, and it died before you ran out of attacks, that you could then choose to attack a second creature instead. Apparently "no-one can react that fast to switch targets", and you had to stop or use up the rest of your attacks on the corpse. They eventually relented when I looked up the specific rule that says it doesn't work like that, which took me a long time to do because I couldn't believe there'd actually have to be a bloody rule to clarify it.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Well, at least she knew her limit and comfort level. A mighty low limit, but, hey, we all start somewhere.
    Low level games can be fun, just in a different way than non-low level games.
    She wasn't a bad DM overall. I still ended up having to leave her group though. 1-3 are my least favorite levels of the game, so I wasn't having much fun. And she wasn't willing to try higher-level characters.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Basically it's a game for people who thought 4e had too much character customization.

And for people who don't like the idea of characters becoming exceptionally powerful superhuman paragons of their discipline (except wizards, they're exempt).
    Oh god, 4e has too much character customization?
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2014-08-10 at 06:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reshy View Post
    It's specifically mentioned in the rules of the game that they can do that. How does it make sense?
    It's also specified in the rules of the game that you can heal a dying creature by drowning them, and 10th-level dragon disciples must be kept away from Complete Warrior lest they ruin reality forever. Some rules are silly.

This rule is also silly, not because it actually represents something which makes no logical sense but because it allows wizards to do pretty much whatever they like so long as you give them 15 minutes to do it in.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    10th-level dragon disciples must be kept away from Complete Warrior lest they ruin reality forever.
    I'm unfamiliar with this. Would you care to clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with this. Would you care to clarify?
    Complete Warrior states that if you ever stop qualifying for a PrC, you lose the benefits. Dragon Disciple 10 turns you into a half-dragon, which changes your type to Dragon. Dragon Disciple has this little prerequisite
    Race: Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon).

So Dragon Disciple 10 disqualifies itself from Dragon Disciple, which causes it to lose all DD abilities, which means that it qualifies for DD 10, which disqualifies it, etc.

You are in a perpetual state of both qualifying and not qualifying for the prestige class.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #158

NecromancerGuy

So I know this is supposed to be things we've personally played under, but is anyone familiar with Kevin_Video from BG. He was the only poster and only sane person from a group with the craziest houserules I've ever heard of.

1. Every so often we hop down a generation and everyone has to play their old character's children.

2. It has to be your children not just family members, so all PC's must breed.

3. You can't breed with anything normal, like a human, dwarf, elf, orc, etc.

4. Every generation has to be reflected in the character, nothing can get lost in the genetic soup.

This led to people playing Half-Dragon Half-Medusa Half-Celestial Centaurs with Bloodlines and the normal ECL/LA rules were in effect. Nobody ever leveled and everything that was vaguely challenging oneshotted people.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Complete Warrior states that if you ever stop qualifying for a PrC, you lose the benefits. Dragon Disciple 10 turns you into a half-dragon, which changes your type to Dragon. Dragon Disciple has this little prerequisite

So Dragon Disciple 10 disqualifies itself from Dragon Disciple, which causes it to lose all DD abilities, which means that it qualifies for DD 10, which disqualifies it, etc.

You are in a perpetual state of both qualifying and not qualifying for the prestige class.
    Schrödinger's Dragon Disciple?.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_of_Vecna View Post
    So I know this is supposed to be things we've personally played under, but is anyone familiar with Kevin_Video from BG. He was the only poster and only sane person from a group with the craziest houserules I've ever heard of.

1. Every so often we hop down a generation and everyone has to play their old character's children.

2. It has to be your children not just family members, so all PC's must breed.

3. You can't breed with anything normal, like a human, dwarf, elf, orc, etc.

4. Every generation has to be reflected in the character, nothing can get lost in the genetic soup.

This led to people playing Half-Dragon Half-Medusa Half-Celestial Centaurs with Bloodlines and the normal ECL/LA rules were in effect. Nobody ever leveled and everything that was vaguely challenging oneshotted people.
    You know, get rid of that part and it could be a really fun character idea. I would totally play a warforged who BUILDS each new generation.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, that. I thought that was in another book.
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

12. - Top - End - #162

Dragon Disciple is in the DMG though and therefore is not subject to that rule.

So.. no issue there.

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGuy

You know, get rid of that part and it could be a really fun character idea. I would totally play a warforged who BUILDS each new generation.
    That was actually eventually the community's recommendation to him. I'm not sure if I started it or if I was the first or second person to ditto it. In this case he was supposed to end the cycle by playing a homosexual or asexual artificer who built a Warforged son.

edit: You know, I think it had to be asexual, since the Dm would hand wave a homosexual couple producing heirs that were genetically both of theirs.
    Last edited by Hand_of_Vecna; 2014-08-10 at 12:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

I imagine that, enough intermingling will either turn all characters into mongrelfolk, or turn them into Golden Bidoofs.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned

Dragon Disciple is in the DMG though and therefore is not subject to that rule.

So.. no issue there.
    The complete warrior prestige class rules apply to all prestige classes, not just the ones found in CW.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    The complete warrior prestige class rules apply to all prestige classes, not just the ones found in CW.
    Can you cite a source for that?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Can you cite a source for that?
    It doesn't contradict earlier rules so its a new rule introduced in so far as that's how PrC's now work. It will specify when its for specific application (such as polymorph subschool). Alternatively you can argue retraining is only applicable for feats and content from the PHB2 I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    It doesn't contradict earlier rules so its a new rule introduced in so far as that's how PrC's now work. It will specify when its for specific application (such as polymorph subschool). Alternatively you can argue retraining is only applicable for feats and content from the PHB2 I guess.
    Bad example. Retraining is a new, self enclosed rule that exists in a primary rules book.

The PrC rules exist only in a splatbook (and explicitly don't exist in the primary source on PrCs) and applying them generally causes certain PrCs to break or have redundant qualities.

"This rule that was only in a specific book and causes problems if applied generally is clearly only intended for that book" is far more logical than "Well they never put this rule in the reprinting of core materials and applying this rule broadly causes some PrCs to break, so doing so is both dysfunctional and ignores primary source rules but Nevermind all that it's totally how it works guys" anyways.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    To humans. What of creatures immune to its tricks? Dogs can't eat chocolate but we all agree that's edible I assume.
    Actually chocolate is poisonous to all mammals (not sure about other clades), humans just have a very high tolerance to it.
    I did hear the "lethal dose" (I assume they mean the 50% kill lethal dose) for humans as being about 20lb - simpler just to drop it on someone's head.

I can't think of any stupid bans I have played under - hmm.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2014-08-10 at 02:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Halfling in the Playground

A friend o' mine was playing in a campaign where lycanthropes were banned for being "furbait"
    Just...what?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Actually chocolate is poisonous to all mammals (not sure about other clades), humans just have a very high tolerance to it.
    I did hear the "lethal dose" (I assume they mean the 50% kill lethal dose) for humans as being about 20lb - simpler just to drop it on someone's head.
    Well, if we wanna get technical, every ingestible substance is poisonous, its just a matter of the dosage required. And how fast the body flushes it before it does damage.

More on-topic, I've played in a group with a DM that banned Rogues and almost all item-manipulating mechanics. Because apparently the ability to actually look for traps using game mechanics is too much "roll-playing", and if you wanna figure out the trap's location, you're gonna have to say, in exact detail, how you're trying to look for a trap, and then the DM can fiat whether you find it or not. Same for UMD. You don't just roll to figure out whether you can use it, you have to specifically say what word you say in what language to try and activate it. Gods help you if its a proper noun.
    Almost needless to say, random wands found were almost always sold, and "monk trapfinding" (going "screw looking, that's what reflex saves are for") was popular. They later banned any form of non-temporary regeneration or fast healing, as well as binders, because they thought it took all the challenge out of traps (because you could just wait out the damage/ability damage).

22. - Top - End - #172

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lodraygazagtar View Post
    A friend o' mine was playing in a campaign where lycanthropes were banned for being "furbait"
    Just...what?
    I can see it, in Old World of Darkness there was a very large furry contingent amougnst Werewolf the Apocalypse players. I've often suspected that Werewolf/Werewolf breeding being a bigger nono in the new werewolf to be a big factor in it's rejection by a large portion of it's playerbase. Not like 100%, I think it was roughly equal parts lack of furbait, missing how OP old werewolves were compared to things from other subsettings, and people that miss the Wyrm/Weaverfluff.

Oh, Old werewolf also sanctioned and even encouraged werewolf on normal wolf breeding which is also a no no is new werewolf. It doesn't cause painful phantom pregnancies that produce monster ghost babies that hate werewolves, but it's still a hefty sin in their morality,
    Last edited by Hand_of_Vecna; 2014-08-10 at 03:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

I can see it, in Old World of Darkness there was a very large furry contingent amougnst Werewolf the Apocalypse players. I've often suspected that Werewolf/Werewolf breeding being a bigger nono in the new werewolf to be a big factor in it's rejection by a large portion of it's playerbase. Not like 100%, I think it was roughly equal parts lack of furbait, missing how OP old werewolves were compared to things from other subsettings, and people that miss the Wyrm/Weaverfluff.
    The ban makes slightly more sense with this picture http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM...MM35_PG173.jpg

D&D used to have a Foxwoman monster. I believe Something Awful covered it in the WTF D&D? series.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    I guess this gets into RAI, but I don't think poisonous food should count under food that sustains you. The trick is you carry enough food to sustain you, so maybe if you carry a half-day of food and a half-day of poison you're still good...
    But if you're a monk and thus acquired diamond body, poisonous food has no drawbacks and thus fair game!

+1 point in favor of VoP monk!
    Last edited by Aliek; 2014-08-10 at 03:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    More on-topic, I've played in a group with a DM that banned Rogues and almost all item-manipulating mechanics. Because apparently the ability to actually look for traps using game mechanics is too much "roll-playing", and if you wanna figure out the trap's location, you're gonna have to say, in exact detail, how you're trying to look for a trap, and then the DM can fiat whether you find it or not. Same for UMD. You don't just roll to figure out whether you can use it, you have to specifically say what word you say in what language to try and activate it. Gods help you if its a proper noun.
    Almost needless to say, random wands found were almost always sold, and "monk trapfinding" (going "screw looking, that's what reflex saves are for") was popular. They later banned any form of non-temporary regeneration or fast healing, as well as binders, because they thought it took all the challenge out of traps (because you could just wait out the damage/ability damage).
    I can't help thinking the only reasonable response to this is to spend an entire session 'disarming' an untrapped door.

And if THAT doesn't cure the GM, spend the next session 'disarming' the 10 feet of hallway past the door.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, if we wanna get technical, every ingestible substance is poisonous, its just a matter of the dosage required. And how fast the body flushes it before it does damage.

My party has a Factotum and a Ninja, but they still heavily rely on monkey-dooring. "I summon a celestial monkey and tell it to walk across the room."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Very true. Therefore poisonous foods are fair game in general. Hell even water of all things has a lethal dose amount.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

28. - Top - End - #178

NecromancerGuy

D&D used to have a Foxwoman monster. I believe Something Awful covered it in the WTF D&D? series.
    Was it Kitsune? They've been softened up a bit by anime and the LoL champion Ahri, but they're pretty dark creatures from Japanese folklore.

29. - Top - End - #179

Was it Kitsune? They've been softened up a bit by anime and the LoL champion Ahri, but they're pretty dark creatures from Japanese folklore.
    No, they were just called Foxwomen.
    d

30. - Top - End - #180

NecromancerGuy

No, they were just called Foxwomen.
    d
    Ah yes, quick google search jogged my memory. A precise if not too imaginitive name. Apparently there aren't enough attractive female monsters that lure men ith promises of sex and eat them in mythology. We needed to make up some flavorless ones to fill the gaps.