New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XVII: And Then He Had Pie

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I LOLed at the final panel, particularly when it said that was an actual quote from his son...
    Well... he is right: if they lost to someone worse then them, it would be unfair.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

So they have a son who looks exactly like Phil.

Anyways, did you notice the similarity between Cheyenne and Bosewitche?
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Well... he is right: if they lost to someone worse then them, it would be unfair.
    It seems wrong that two of the best webcomics are stick-figures, but there it is...
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    It seems wrong that two of the best webcomics are stick-figures, but there it is...
    Did you actually read Time? There is a LOT more to it than "Stick Figures".
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #155

RedWizardGuy

I haven't read "Time" either.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You don't read 'Time' so much as watch it, really. But it's a great story anyways.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You don't read 'Time' so much as watch it, really. But it's a great story anyways.
    There's a website which collates all the images so you can read through the story in the normal way--I guess that does take away some of the uniqueness of the way it was presented in the first place, but at least you get to read the storyline.

And I just noticed that Phil drew the Union Flag wrong in the background of the first three panels...tch, tch!
    Last edited by factotum; 2014-08-29 at 02:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's a website which collates all the images so you can read through the story in the normal way--I guess that does take away some of the uniqueness of the way it was presented in the first place, but at least you get to read the storyline.

And I just noticed that Phil drew the Union Flag wrong in the background of the first three panels...tch, tch!
    He's from the United States, which has a history of ignoring british politics when it suits them. Also, there is no communication between the old and new worlds in Girl Genius, so how would he know what a Union Jack looks like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #159

Fridays comic is up and hoo boy do things look interesting! The brothers are gearing up to go to war. Its a fight for survival, a fight for their reputation, a fight that will be remembered for years to come. One way, or another.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #160

Interesting indeed. I very much approve of this new development.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Sweet power armor, there.

12. - Top - End - #162

That's a pretty sweet death ray he's holding, too.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

13. - Top - End - #163

BlackDragon

That's also the most creative ice bucket challenge video I've seen...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Did...did the engineer just suggest rolling coal?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually excited to see the brothers in action.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Did...did the engineer just suggest rolling coal?
    No, he is going to light the coal on fire and throw it at their enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was hoping we'd get to see the Ulstermen in action before the Bears got the upper hand.

Do you think the Brother is being serious? Why is he so determined to not let Agatha into the Fortress.

I wonder, are all the Monks Irish, or is it just the Crew of the Wyrm of Limmerick?
    Last edited by BRC; 2014-09-01 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

My guess is that the Fortress is so full of really neat stuff that he's afraid he'll never be able to get RID of her again.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    My guess is that the Fortress is so full of really neat stuff that he's afraid he'll never be able to get RID of her again.
    My guess is that "The Fortress" is so dangerously paranoid, it makes Der Kestle look sane, and that's why the Brothers won't take passangers there. No passenger goes there.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder where Krosp is? He's not riding on Agatha, as I would have expected. And he didn't go flying with Dimo.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I was hoping we'd get to see the Ulstermen in action before the Bears got the upper hand.
    It will probably take a while to activate the Sanctuary Cars, whatever those do. We may get to see a Last Stand with the Ulstermen and the brother with the goggles and the death ray fighting to hold them back so the cars can move.

Do you think the Brother is being serious? Why is he so determined to not let Agatha into the Fortress.
    I can't see Brother Ulm joking about something like that. Therefore, yes, he intends to kill Agatha; or at least some passenger on the train, and most probably Agatha. However, he may not be aware of just how much protection Agatha has...

As to why, it's just speculation, but Ulm seems focused on his passengers, train, and order. Therefore, there's something at the fortress that imperils one or all of those and perhaps the world besides, to the point he feels killing Agatha is the best and perhaps only solution. Ulm doesn't know Agatha well (although it should be pointed out, he's the only one who DOES know she's the Heterodyne, and the Seal of the Confessional keeps him from telling anyone else). So hopefully he's wrong about this...

I wonder, are all the Monks Irish, or is it just the Crew of the Wyrm of Limmerick?
    Limerick IS an Irish town...

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

I just marathoned all of Girl Genius over three days! Whoooooooooo.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    As to why, it's just speculation, but Ulm seems focused on his passengers, train, and order. Therefore, there's something at the fortress that imperils one or all of those and perhaps the world besides, to the point he feels killing Agatha is the best and perhaps only solution. Ulm doesn't know Agatha well (although it should be pointed out, he's the only one who DOES know she's the Heterodyne, and the Seal of the Confessional keeps him from telling anyone else). So hopefully he's wrong about this...
    I'm hoping he's wrong or this doesn't mean precisely what it looks like at first -- I like Ulm. He's certainly serious about the situation without wanting to have to kill Agatha: his first suggestion is to stand and fight, putting himself and every passenger on the train at additional risk, as a preferable alternative to either taking Agatha to the fortress or abandoning a passenger.

(I am wondering if he fibbed to Krosp and Dimo about "no passenger" going to the fortress. Piling all the passengers into the sanctuary cars, here, tells him immediately that they're meant to go to the fortress, which is clearly an emergency measure though I think it could go either way whether it's a standard or unprecedented one, but he only objects to Agatha.)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I can't see Brother Ulm joking about something like that. Therefore, yes, he intends to kill Agatha; or at least some passenger on the train, and most probably Agatha. However, he may not be aware of just how much protection Agatha has...
    I can't see the writers using Ulm's statement in the last panel if they mean for him to actually intend harm at this point. I think it's more likely that he's expressing slightly hyperbolic dread towards the thought of Agatha in the Fortress. That may or may not develop into actually intending harm, depending on what happens at the Fortress.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    I can't see the writers using Ulm's statement in the last panel if they mean for him to actually intend harm at this point. I think it's more likely that he's expressing slightly hyperbolic dread towards the thought of Agatha in the Fortress. That may or may not develop into actually intending harm, depending on what happens at the Fortress.
    Yeah, I don't see Ulm as literally deciding to Kill Agatha.

If Agatha can't enter the fortress for some reason, he can just keep her out of the Fortress. He's sworn to protect his passengers, but surely "Leave the highly capable spark and her very dangerous bodyguards to fend for themselves" is less of a violation than "Try to kill the highly capable spark with a very dangerous bodyguards"

It's more likely that he believes that when Agatha enters the fortress, something will happen which will endanger the order/the passengers enough to force his hand and make him kill her. But it's not guaranteed (hence he can't just lock her outside).

There's something about Ulm's body language and word choices that make me think this set up is comedic, rather than Dramatic. Something about words like "The Mind Boggles" and "Ugh" make me think that Ulm fears a massive headache more than any real danger. Especially because the other, Younger Monks don't seem to be bothered by the thought. Only Ulm (with his considerable experience, and knowledge that Agatha is not just a Spark but a Heterodyne) is objecting.
    Perhaps the Depot contains broken trains, condemned for being Late in clear defiance of the Schedule, and upon seeing them Agatha would feel compelled to try to fix and/or improve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Acheivement unlocked!

I also think it's supposed to be more funny than foreboding.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming he isn't for some unfathomable reason only joking about killing Agatha, the only things I can think of that would warrant his reaction is figuring letting a Heterodyne into the sanctuary would be a very bad idea in general (which is sensible, considering the older Heterodynes), or they've got something there that a Heterodyne (or possibly just Agatha specifically) would take severe offense to. Difficult to speculate on what that something might be. Secretly being pawns of the Other seems rather unlikely, as Agatha's weasel hasn't been screeching at anyone.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

My guess is the monks and their railroad operate primarily in neutrality, and only survive because they are neutral. Nobody actively destroys their railroad in times of war because the railroad serves all regardless of alliances. Taking Agatha into one of their strongholds could be seen, from the outside, as a sign of loyalty or alliance to House Heterodyne, which would result in an open season on all railway activities and interests by the enemies of House Heterodyne (of which there are a few), or anyone cheesed off to have not become an ally of the railway first (of which there are many more).
    Never played a game of D&D in my life, but I still love OotS.

Army of the One Free Man.

Clarence Clemons Memorial Avatar by Dorian Soth

28. - Top - End - #178

BarbarianGuy

I'm curious about the sanctuary cars. Are they merely heavily armored with perhaps alternate motive power? Or are they ridiculously heavily armored with powerful active defense systems to protect the passengers? Could Brother Ulm attempt to expel or kill Agatha, only to be stopped by his own train?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

29. - Top - End - #179

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by scienceguy8 View Post
    Taking Agatha into one of their strongholds could be seen, from the outside, as a sign of loyalty or alliance to House Heterodyne, which would result in an open season on all railway activities and interests by the enemies of House Heterodyne (of which there are a few), or anyone cheesed off to have not become an ally of the railway first (of which there are many more).
    Except that seems to have already happened--as the engineer guy said last strip, there's trouble all up and down the line. Whatever immunity from attack the railway monks had is now gone regardless.

30. - Top - End - #180

RedWizardGuy

Except that seems to have already happened--as the engineer guy said last strip, there's trouble all up and down the line. Whatever immunity from attack the railway monks had is now gone regardless.
    maybe he thinks that if He induce Agatha to death secretly and confirm her death to them, then they will not interfere with others