New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Lords of Creation, Spawn of The Everlord (IC)

The Okyua Advance
    Things were changing rapidly for the Okyua. The four types of Elemental Magic that Maya had whispered to the Elders of in their dreams had taught their arts to young students: an honour for the youth chosen to serve as such apprentices. Mind you, they were starting to have less need for the old ways. Tools for carving wood and working iron meant the whole tribe could work towards building things when needed. A few of the tribes started to settle in individual areas, tending fertile land to grow crops and food, or mining the strange metals of the earth, perhaps with a little magic to bring their ore to the surface. Before they had travelled to find new sources of food, to evade the Darkening and uncover new wonders. But now, the tribes had elderly and young to care for. Stability was tempting to some.

Most tribes continued to roam Illyria, much as they always had, searching for new wonders, and new marvels that could redefine the world the knew. But the settling tribes were growing in number, their wooden houses cropping up across the land. The culture of the first Illyrians was on the verge of becoming something very different.

Near the Black Pyramid
    "Scouts of the Mikati, hear my words. Do not venture too far into the water."

The conversation done, Maya slowly descended to the cliff where the four Okyua hunters stood, frowning gently as she looked between them. Sahu had grown wrathful, if not towards her people specifically. All the mortal races had begun to venture onto the waters... that was a fight Sahu couldn't win. But there was no need for her Okyua to provoke the ocean deity if it could be helped. Slowly, she looked between them, smiling gently. "This land, your Illyria, is my gift to you. It is yours, to explore, discover and love. But the oceans are the domain of Sahu, the Great Sea Serpent. Out there, you will be at the mercy of her, and her creatures. The great Kraken roam, devouring elves by the tribe. The Midguard Serpants alone are more than enough to sink one of your boats. and there are far more dangerous creatures the further you go from Illyria."

The scouts stood there, blinking, still bewildered to stand before their goddess. But at last, the youngest, Unini, spoke. "But Lady Sparrow! How will we ever see the lands beyond Illyria if we cannot cross the sea?"

The goddess chuckled at that, ruffling Unini's hear. "A good point, little one." She looked out, across the oceans, thinking to herself. "Such a journey would be dangerous. Other lands lie far from Illyria. But if you are sure you want to make it..." Maya turned to the Okyua, gesturing to the forest behind them. "Build a great ship. Sturdy enough to withstand storm and sea-serpents. Take on enough food and drink to last for many nights, and enough pretty-things to appease the Midguard Serpents. And make a prayer to Sahu every day you sail upon her waves."

Maya bowed her head, smile for once sad. She knew the odds, of course. But she couldn't stop them, truly. All she could do was give advice. "You will be at risk. But all life is risk. That will be enough to give you a chance."

Spoiler
    Show
    Keeping Maya here for the moment: not sure if Sunev or Baloma wanted to speak to her. Plus don't have a clear next project for her anyway. She might be heading over to Ghenna.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Puzzlement

Spoiler: Seeking
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    The Lake of Uraneth
    Rainbow dust slowly falling to earth in his wake, a strange being slowly walked towards Uraneth's lake. It was far shorter than the fisherman had been, seeming almost like a child. He wore a green tunic, with a small metal knife fastened to a leather belt, and had a single blue bird-feather held in his hair by a comb of wood and string. He walked forward with a confidence and strength, yet there was a sorrow in his eyes, a sadness met with anger and wrath that drove him forward. He pressed forward through the strange undergrowth, looking about him at the strangely beautiful lake. Tears were starting to form on his eyes, as he thought back to Jaya and the others. What had happened to them... He needed to fix it. And this place was like the other. A lake, with power hidden within it. Slowly drawing closer, the Okyua called across the waters.

"Hello?"

She could sense it. As others had come, so had this one. Sorrow ached in his soul, and Uraneth could feel it calling to her from across the waters. Friends, lost and gone now, lost to madness and death, though not of her making, she thought. It calls plaintively to her. Uraneth slips silently from the waters, appearing as she always did. "You are burdened by pain and loss. Why?" the goddess asks. There was puzzlement there, for this one was curious as well. Alien to Uraneth, but not anathema. Simply new, and thus interesting.
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2014-08-14 at 06:28 PM.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

[The Sun]

Alcandor wakes, the hound startled by the appearance of a new God so close to it's sire, growling it'd advance but Alcandor would reel it back, chastising it before he'd turn his attention, smiling. Alcandor was nothing if not warm to those he considered Kin, and conjuring a new throne beside his, before he'd stand and raise his hands, conjuring up a feast.

"Ah, I can feel it as sure as the warmth of my sun, you are my child. The magic that runs through you is powerful, I must've touched on something in Ghenna when I wrought the Titans from the Earth, something greater than I had ever dreamed. Come, sit with me and eat. In return, I will answer any of your questions."

He'd say standing, assuming the golden armored form he was so accustomed too, his cape billowing on the burning solar wind as he'd touch down onto the surface of the sun as if it were nothing, his foot steps taking him to the table as he'd guide Ethidras with him, smiling as he'd weave some arrangements for her to enjoy while they spoke.

"Firstly, I imagine you'd want to know about me and yourself. So I'll go ahead and get my part of introductions out of the way. I am Alcandor, God of Strength, Competition, and The Sun. I am the blazing light that made the titans, and through my herculean expenditure of divine power upon what was a leyline of mystic energy, I created you."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Uraneth's Lake, Volcannan
    Masat blinked at Uraneth's arrival. He had never before seen a lady as beautiful as her; with the purest of opal-black hair, alabaster skin, and a spotless white dress of some substance so smooth he barely knew its like, met with a perfect red rim. Was this a goddess? Growing red with embarrassment, the young traveller hung his head at the lady's words. She could see through him well enough, at the least. "My friends and I were at a lake, not unlike this one. We saw... a truth. A hidden truth, woven into everything." The memory of what happened was still fresh in Masat's mind. The boy shed a few brief tears, before once again looking upright, some of his confidence returning. "Their minds couldn't stand it. So I have decided to travel in search of some cure to their condition. I sensed this place, and... you, I think. Another lake, another being of power. So I came here, in search of knowledge."

The little-being paused at that, shaking his head in personal irritation. "Excuse me, water-lady. I am Masat, of the Okyua." He bowed his head deeply to the water-goddess, before looking around, gazing about the area. Strange trees, no cloud to speak of. The sun seemed to beat stronger here. He frowned in puzzlement. "Where are we, exactly?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The feather, Uraneth can probably recognize as a divine artifact. It gives Masat boosted charisma, it's hard to turn the kid away or deny him hospitality.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inside The Wailing Pyramid
    "When, sister.. Certainly not if." the vermin lord allowed his thoughts to travel through to Maya as he calmed down some, sitting down in his pyramid. At this point, his own screaming had stopped, though the skull upon the floor had not given up its cry. Not once since its beginning. Uelticrat stretched himself out, then settled, deathly still as he thought. Caution was not something he had been excising. His divine energy was wearing thin, and there was the chance his "Siblings" would decide to crush him. The Lord of All things would not be known as such, if he was crushed before things could begin, would he?

No.. He had to be subtle. Yet he also had to get things done. Turning in the darkness, he turned until he faced the direction that he knew Illyria to be in. Would he..? Would he continue what he had been working on..? He would. The vermin lord reached deep into his robe, until he felt his still, dead, yet fleshy heart. He pulled it out and stared at it, squeezing from it his will. "I need your help.." he muttered, seeing as a multitude of vaporous forms condensed around the heart, all with long, pointed masks in place of faces. "Spread my will.. Extend of life as you must.. But make me known."
    With this, Uelticrat screeched, a single screech of power, as he smashed the black heart against the wall of the pyramid, smashing it into nothing.. Sending the phantoms on their way.

Illyria
    It began with only one or two members in a tribe.. But soon, every Okyua who was near their death, whether from hunger, disease, old age, or injury, would encounter the phantoms of Uelticrat. Many of them would describe the beings to the other members of their tribes. Tall, double the height of an Okyua. They wore black robes and strange masks, and were even fairly translucent. Their voices were strange, raspy.
    Less seldom than those who spoke of the phantoms were those that told of what the phantoms had spoke of.. Promises of an extended life. Healing. Their was a price, of course. It did not seem a large one at all to those who were dying though.. They need but give a minor thanks to the god of vermin.
    The fearful part? Those that did give thanks usually recovered from whatever had brought them close to death.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    1 Ap Bless/Curse (Depending on your perspective)
    Dying Okyua
    Okyua close to death for whatever reason are visited by phantoms wearing plague-doctor masks. These phantoms will talk to the Okyua about their death, about their life, about what they have or have not achieved. The phantoms do not try to comfort the dying ones, but rather try to, very subtly, make them long for an extended life. Finally, the phantoms will promise to heal the dying one should they agree to be thankful to the vermin lord for it. The way they are thankful matters not, whether they offer him a prayer once every now then, wear a pendant modeled after his first creation, or even simply tell the other villagers that he is the reason they managed to live longer.
    If they agree to all this, their lives are infact spared and their ailment cured. It is very seldom, though, for an Okyua to be visited by a phantom the second time they are near death. It is not impossible though.

Lastly, if the Okyua does not keep its promise and give thanks, the healing effect will simply reverse, and the creature will die as if what was going to kill them happened again, in the exact same way as it originally had.

Remaining Ap: 4

Ooc note: The reason the phantoms are not made as "creatures" is because they do not truly exist. They only appear in the minds of the dying. No one else can see them, except perhaps a god. The phantom would not even be able to react to a god. Though certainly, a god could affect one of the phantoms.
    Last edited by AddZable; 2014-08-14 at 07:32 PM.
    This is awesome and everyone should watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCVukDiRsNs
    Not my video, and if it was, I'd be much more epic than I am.
    I tend to disappear off the internet sometimes. I apologize if I inconvenience you.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Ethidras followed her father, listening to him speak Titans. Fitting name for them. She looked around and decided she would be better off in a different form. She shifted into a female woman in armor. She then continued to follow him until she was told to sit. She then sat down and resumed listening to her father. After he was done she replied. "Well met, I am Ethidras, Dragon goddess of Magic and battle, though I feel like the latter hasn't awakened yet." She felt it the moment she was created. Something was missing in her. She needed to awaken it.

"I find what I know strange. I know things that have yet to be done or made, yet I don't know much of the things I should. I know about Light magic, yet I am the only one who can perform it. I know how to fight and that I love doing it so long as I don't have to kill someone, but I have never fought. Perhaps I know what I am, yet everything else is a mystery."
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

New Creatures

Uraneth looked down at the creature before her. Different than the others that had come before, yet within its heart was the same sorrow, the same pain. She ran her hand along the side of Masat's face, and as she did, she felt the power emanating from the feather. Distant, alien, but familiar in some ways. Another like her? "You have been given a great gift little one, yet still your heart is saddened for your friends. Would you like me to take your suffering?" Uraneth had no concept of the value of life, simply that cessation of sorrow was what all creatures desired. To her, death was no more unnatural than life itself, and seemed an adequate solution to the troubles of mortal's emotional pain. "We are here. Where else would we be?" She laughs at the absurdity that one might be in a place one was not. "This is the Lake of Sorrow."
    Last edited by Toxic Mind; 2014-08-14 at 08:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

(His progenitor was, he wasn't)
    Baloma waves, and the land becomes a soft sea of kelp below the goddess, easier to lay upon and be comfortable.

"I am of the second wave, so I believe that makes you an aunt of mine, Queen Sahu. But at any rate, my father has sent me to find those that have little love of forced order. Those who see order as like the stones. Something that flows into and out of chaos, for is chaos not something that contains all?"

A small pillar rises near him, only to be worn away to sand by a mighty current, then the pressure of the water suddenly pushes the grains together with force enough that sandstone forms, albeit all at a highly accelerated rate.

"Where order arises it gives way to chaos. Chaos eventually gives way to order, whether in the obliteration of all I see you favor, or in other, unexpected ways. Just as surely as you shall claim all, and wash the world into your seas, shall new things arise by your choice or that of others. I can respect that. I feel you shall give rise and fall to people beneath these waves at your whim, and can respect that too. So I offer this: to ensure that chaos will not be crushed for stagnancy, that purpose shall not be taken by others and crushed, will you join my father and I? Even if you do not, I would see your future children helped to become great, so what aid may I render them? I have given Illyria metal, and knowledge, soon they shall advance past those who are still aimless, their lands and minds underdeveloped. How could I help your own children?"

The metal god looks up, towards Maya's location.

"I do hope Lady Luck did approve of that which I gave the Okuya."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Syrid held the lantern aloft as he traversed the empty field, his shadow unnaturally stretching out far behind him. On occasion, one of the insects he had raised would blink in the distance, but it did little to dispel the darkness around him. He shivered and grew tired, and sitting down one the grass let out a low sigh. He had tried to approach his people, but they did not recognize him, and were fearful of his presence. So he left, walking in a straight path from the village to the forest, and from the forest to the plains beyond it. "Perhaps I was not meant to guide. I certainly do not know where I am going." He said aloud to no one in particular. He plunged his crook into the ground and hung his lantern from the end of it.

The night grew darker, and he grew afraid. He was not hungry, nor thirsty, and while he grew tired he had no need for sleep. This was not normal. whatever had happened had change him, fundamentally, and he knew he could never return to the life he had.

He began to pray. He prayed to the gods. He prayed to the gods he knew, and the ones he did not. and as he prayed, His lantern dimmed, and the light went out... then it grew darker. The light around Syrid disappeared, weaving a shell of shadows around him until all he could see was dark. Then the light returned, and when Syrid had vanquished the shadows with its light, he found himself on a gray expanse, viewing a judge's table in front of an intricately runed circle. A horned woman stood in front of it. His eyes went wide at the sight of her, a creature of wonder, of beauty and power and terror. He did not speak, only gaped in awe.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Sahu paused for a few moments, examining the godling before her. "I will be blunt - you speak nonsense," she growled. "You speak of Chaos and Order like they were things that existed. A physical thing, tangible. But that isn't the case. Chaos is merely the absence of Order, while Order is the absence of Chaos. In other words, both terms are completely meaningless. If I had to choose a side I would choose 'Chaos' in a heart beat, but many would consider my single minded devotion to making the ocean filled with nightmares and bringing forth the end of the world 'Order'. Since these words have no meaning neither do yours - speak plainly."

Her eyes narrowed. The offer of help was welcomed, but something else the young god had spoken of drew her attention. "Knowledge? What KIND of knowledge?" she asked suspiciously.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Baloma grins at that.

"Nonsense and yet, it is an aspect of what we are-we can very well be considered them made manifest. Chaos, law, good, evil...yes, all nonsense, but Father and I are the side seeking to keep it that way, to be more precise, lest our kin make them absolutes. More fun when those are just words, after all."

At the second question, Baloma hefts his maul, rapping it on the sea floor.

"Knowledge of the earth so far. Tools, homebuilding, delving into the depths of the land, and ensuring plentiful, untainted food are some of the gifts I gave Illyria. Another was metal that gleams of starlight, staying far from your tunnels, to better delve into the land below, a place I would claim as my own, soon. But I am god of inspiration. I shall have many ideas to give, in time. Same for that which I shall build below us-a race of the darkness, home in the earth below the sea, a race of traders and warriors to come, protectors of the deep lands. But that is a different matter. I have inspired the land to delve into itself, and to you once there is a race you deem could use my gifts. I would ask, again, what aid I can give you? Metals that do not rust for your armies to one day beat into sword and shield? Reefs of coral that can be used as the basis of cities? Secret routes beneath the ground in realms not yet made only you, yours, and my own would know?"
    Last edited by Eshkigal; 2014-08-15 at 12:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The question, Sunev thought, was how to show Uelticrat his creations were beautiful. Creating beauty herself would do no good. But all he saw in himself and in them was ugliness. Gathering an obsidian spider in her arms, she traveled to the nearest landmass, to search for its living kin.

All through the grasslands and forests they lived, hunters to a one. Some lurked beneath the water to snare small fishes. Others hunted through the grass, pouncing on their prey in the swiftest of motions. But none of this was too different from what Uelticrats creations already did.

Most, though; most settled on tree branches or tall grasses; by stones or in the houses now being built. And there they wove. No-one, thought Sunev, not even the broken god himself, could deny the beauty in their webs. Graceful and intricate constructions, invisible except that something should settle upon them. But when you could see them, when the dew gathered on their strands, oh how they shone.

Cradling the obsidian spider in her arms, she changed a few subtle things in its body and mind. Reaching out with her power, she applied those changes over again to the entire race. And they began, not only to destroy, but to create. From the volcanic outcroppings on which they made their homes, they drew forth threads and strands of glass, weaving them into elaborate nets. So thin were the strands that, except in a certain light, the webs could not be seen. But, like those of their cousins, when they caught the sun just right, they shone with all the beauty of the sunrise.

The glassy constructions were not just pretty, as well. So thin were the strands that they pulled razor sharp against any creature unlucky enough to run into them, slicing them apart and holding them in place. Surely this would show Uelticrat that even deadliness can be beauty.

But she had spent enough time on this problem for now. If her solution did not work, she would return again, but that was something for later. Now, right now, there were creatures in this world. Progress was being made. So much was happening.

But she could not be everywhere at once, could not see everything at once. Just as she had missed the creation of these mortals, and their first faltering footsteps. She must create something to watch for her. Or, no, not even create. Nature already had a million eyes, a million hands and feet, ears and noses and tongues. What it did not have was a way to remember.

Sunev reached out, covering the entire world with her power. And, scattered across every continent, strange trees sprouted from the ground, growing to tens of feet tall in a matter of minutes. While their growth then slowed, they would in time be giants of the forest, looming over other trees even as titans towered over men.. Starkly colored in black, white, and red, they would be her memory. All the animals of the world would give them information, so never again would she need to miss a moment. Already, insects were crawling into them, showing the snapshots of time they had seen in their short, frenetic lives.

Closing her eyes and opening herself to the world, she watched. Watched as mortals spread and explored, ate and drank, lived and died. She saw love, and pain, and wondered how to prolong the first and diminished the second. She could, she knew, walk among them, healing ills and spreading love. And she would. But she could not be everywhere at once.

Reaching out, she took hold of one of the flowers that had sprouted around her as she rested. This would do. She could see that it grew and prospered everywhere, and imbue it with the ability to help those around it.

Concentrating, she changed the flower from a freestanding plant to a bush bearing many blooms. The bush then divided, and divided again, until ten stood before her, with blossoms in every color of the rainbow. Hardiness she blessed them with, and some small trace of power. Each color had a meaning, and would aid the creatures of the world in relation to that meaning.

Standing and brushing off her dress, she plucked the original crimson flower, the one she had started her work with, from the first bush in front of her. This would be her tool and her symbol as she walked among men. Just the same, she focused her will. The first flower plucked of each color would carry a greater measure of her power. Satisfied, she raised her arms, and rosebushes sprouted across every land.

Her gift to the races of the world complete, she set off towards the nearest peoples; a small race, standing no taller than she did (although their proportions were different). They were progressing by far the most quickly, and so it was to them that she had to go before they despoiled her nature.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Everyone else has gone on a spending spree, so now it is my turn :D

Alter Species (Obsidian Spiders): 1 AP
    Obsidian spiders will now spin webs, just as the webs of spiders, but from woven strands of glass. Like real spiderwebs, they will be all but invisible in most circumstances. However, rather than merely entangling prey, they will also slice it apart on razored edges.

Create Relic (The First Rose): 4 AP
    I don't even know what this does yet. I just know that I want it.

Create Artefact (The Rose Wands): 4 AP
    The first time a rose of each color is picked by a mortal, it will harden into a wooden wand, and they will gain knowledge of its use. The wands are no harder to destroy than a rose carved of wood would be; however, if one is sundered, the next rose picked of that color will change to replace it.
    Red: True Love, beauty, and passion. If those blessed by the red rose wand are truly in love, that love will never fade.
    Pink: Sweetness, grace, and gentleness. No-one will willingly harm the bearer of the pink rose wand, so long as they do not themselves inflict harm.
    Purple: Enchantment, glory, and splendor. The bearer of the purple rose wand can speak powerfully, and others will be more likely to follow.
    Blue: Mystery, hope, and new beginnings. A new journey or undertaking blessed by the blue rose wand will likely succeed.
    Green: Fertility, renewal, and regeneration. Sicknesses and injuries, both plant and animal, can be cured by the bearer of the green rose wand.
    White: Sincerity, purity, and innocence. The bearer of the white rose wand cannot lie, but nor can those he is speaking to.
    Yellow: Joy, gladness, and friendship. Those around the bearer of the yellow rose wand will remain in good cheer, and form fast bonds with one another.
    Peach: Elegance, harmony, and peace. An angry man, or enraged animal, can be calmed by the bearer of the peach rose wand.
    Orange: Brilliance, enthusiasm, and energy. The bearer of the orange rose wand need never sleep or rest.
    Black: Death, sadness, and farewell. A dying man blessed by the black rose wand will pass quietly, in peace, with no pain.

I don't really care in whose hands these end up, so if you want a race or hero to get one, go take it.

The effects of the rose wands are by no means fixed in stone; I basically just came up with something that kind of worked for the meanings of each color of rose. If you have a cool idea for what one should do, tell me and I'll probably use it. The only ones I am sure about are red and black.

Bless (Roses): 1 AP
    Roses will bloom continuously, even in winter, and be much hardier. In addition, each color of rose will share some of the properties of their wand, although much weaker.

This should give rise to the tradition of giving bouquets of roses, in wishing for a certain thing. In addition, it should encourage temples, and even hospitals (when they form), to grow rosebushes of many colors. Using a red rose to seal marriages, for instance.

Create Species (Trees of Life): 1 AP
    This network of trees holds the memories of the world in a giant neural network. Each of the massive trees have a distinctive appearance. Wood and bark white as snow; leaves black as night; and fruit and flowers red as blood. Like the roses, they will be constantly fruiting and in bloom.
    Animals and insects of all sizes that near the end of their lives will seek out the trees, entering the bole of the tree through a narrow cleft. There, they will be absorbed, their flesh and bone turned to nutrients and their memories passing on the the tree.
    The nutrients are returned to the world in the form of the fruit of the tree. The memories are retained, and shared amongst the entire 'hivemind'.

For now, I am only spending 1 AP on these, seeing as they are unintelligent and can't do anything. I will also leave it up to the other deities whether their races will join the animals in 'joining' with the trees. If intelligent races do start 'joining', that could be a cue to raise the hivemind to awareness.

In time, I will raise them to higher levels. Give them actual intelligence. Let people commune with them. Give them control over other plants or animals. But for now, they are just there to remember.

I have a couple different ideas for where to go with them, and would love input. I mean, I could easily see a knightly order, testing applicants with the trees. The unrighteous would be consumed, while the good would emerge, given knowledge of what to do. Similarly, they could function as Eywa from Avatar, linking animals together and safeguarding the world. I could also see them as like to the Greeshka from A Song for Lya, with those who worship me joining it and living forever (or going to the afterlife, however you want to see it), in harmony with the world and each other.

Gain Domain (Plants (Growth)): 3 AP
    I'm not really sure what domains do other than help advance in deity rank, but it can't be a BAD idea to get one.

Remaining AP: 3/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixsor Lumin
    ..... that was the coolest way I've ever seen some one ask for permission to betray everything.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler: Masat Learns Temptation
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Mind View Post
    New Creatures

Uraneth looked down at the creature before her. Different than the others that had come before, yet within its heart was the same sorrow, the same pain. She ran her hand along the side of Masat's face, and as she did, she felt the power emanating from the feather. Distant, alien, but familiar in some ways. Another like her? "You have been given a great gift little one, yet still your heart is saddened for your friends. Would you like me to take your suffering?" Uraneth had no concept of the value of life, simply that cessation of sorrow was what all creatures desired. To her, death was no more unnatural than life itself, and seemed an adequate solution to the troubles of mortal's emotional pain. "We are here. Where else would we be?" She laughs at the absurdity that one might be in a place one was not. "This is the Lake of Sorrow."

The Lake of Sorrow
    "Take... my suffering from me?"

Masat blinked at that idea. He didn't resist as Uraneth slowly stroked his face, not understanding her words but chuckling quietly to himself at the name of this place. No surprise that this was where I came. Still, the lady's offer was a promise he clung to, amidst the quiet serenity of this strange place. All else flew swiftly over his head. The idea that salvation might be in his grasp reduced Masat's façade of focus to nothingness. Tears starting to form in his eyes, the wizard bowed his head, unable to meet the gaze of the women in white. "Can you tell me how to make them better? Please. I... don't know what I can do to help them."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gehenna, the Celestial Gate]

A cloaked and hooded figure stood before two enormous silvery gates. Intricate runes and designs were carved into them, depicting glorious battles between god and monster, god and god, and god and mortal. Never did the Monsters or Mortals prevail, and never did one god triumph over another. These battle scenes surrounded a depiction of countless marching humanoids, their features obscured as they walked the long road to their afterlife. Alongside these featureless souls stood terrifying angels, beings of Energy, clad in sturdy armor and wielding all manner of deadly weapons. Wisps of energy trailed from the Angel's backs, obscured wings of pure energy and will. Some appeared to be feathery, others batlike. Some even discarded both notions, their wings a smooth surface like those of fins.

The Gates were set into a massive arch of black marble with gold, silver, and copper streaks. From either side, with the gates closed, they seemed useless. The arch was not attached to any walls, and no roads led past it. There was but one road here. It stretched from the Inevitable City and it stopped at the Celestial Gates. The road was dotted with distance markers every fifty feet. They took the form of a tall, thin obelisk of grey stone. An orb of glass was set into the top of each obelisk, and when anything approached within fifty feet of the obelisk, the orb lit up with pale white light.

The Hooded figure drew herself up to her full height, and reached out, grasping at the air like she might door handles. As she pulled her arms away, the gates rumbled and moved, despite no contact being made. a multitude of colours swirled about in the space within the arch. Previously sealed by the gates, the portal shimmered and let loose a rumble across Gehenna. Winds picked up, dark clouds gathered overhead, and lightning leaped from the portal to the spire in the center of the Inevitable City. Thunder rumbled throughout the plane once more, before everything calmed. The Hooded Figure smiled, and walked into the shimmering gateway.

[The Material Plane]

A black and purple comet fell from above the sun, breaking into pieces as it entered the atmosphere. One shard fell towards the depths of the ocean, where no living thing save the Tarrasque and Kraken dared to swim. One piece fell towards the Lake of Uraneth. The Third fell upon the slopes of Fàin's Bearing, coming to rest on the chair-mountain. When each piece had finally settled, the rock cracked open to reveal the hooded woman with red skin. Her eyes were black as the night sky, and her skin red like the lava of Volcanaan.

[The Lake of Uraneth]

The Hooded figure staggered, recovering from her fall. When her vision cleared, she saw Uraneth and Masat conversing. She bowed her head and remained silent in respect of the young deity and her guest.

[Fàin's Bearing]

The figure that rested upon the chair-mountain took a deep breath of mountain air, and then exhaled. She licked her lips with uncertainty, before shaking her head. "Too... mundane." She said calmly, before turning around and shouting to the empty mountain. "Fàin! I call upon you, for I wish to speak unto you in private." The humanoid had feathered wings sprouting from its back, and bird-like talons for feet. It had faint red feathers along its neck and arms, and its face echoed the sentiment of a beak.

[The Deeps]

In the depths, the comet cracked open like an egg, and instead of a land dwelling humanoid, out swam a clawed amphibious being with six limbs. Its jaw was like that of a land dwelling lizard, powerful and full of razor sharp teeth. It had no pectoral fins, but webbed hands and feet, and a series of small ridged dorsal fins that resembled spikes running down its back. The being swam forward, feeling its way forward without the use of sight, sound, or smell, but rather by instinct. She swam towards the mother of the Deeps, ready to speak with her in her own domain.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nergath has split into 4 shards. Her body in Gehenna is her true body, whilst these other three are shards of her that will make their rounds among the gods and explain the divine laws and such.
    Last edited by Darklady2831; 2014-08-15 at 02:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Illyria
    Maya frowned, looking down upon her lands in the form of a great sparrow as the Vermin Lord spoke to her. It took the goddess of luck a few seconds to see what he had set in motion, and the realization puzzled her. Extending life in return for her people's praise? What could Uelticrat be thinking with such an offer? It concerned her deeply, as she could not understand her uncle's motives... but gazing beyond her lands, so did many things. Things that went more inherently against her domain than Uelticrat's games as they'd progressed thus far.

The Okyua had advanced greatly from their first days, simple beings that did little more than fish and eat. They were on the verge of becoming a true civilization but still the other races had advantages they did not. Wisdom, quickness beyond measure, magic and strength. Always strength. Maya's gaze darkened as her eye reached the city of Harena Magnus. The Hartmen's strength was great, but not insurmountable. Yet these 'titans' the Sun God had made? Each was strong beyond mortal measure, as you may have expected from brick headed Alcandor. The chances of an elf or Hartman beating one in single combat was slim, yet alone for one of the Okyua to attempt such a feat

Problems. Always problems, and she couldn't always be there to set them to rights. No, she needed to do what Uelticrat never did. Make allies, and convince others of her cause. Cawing once again in mirth, Maya swerved, racing towards the sun. With a flash of golden light, the great sparrow was gone from the prime.

The Divine Court
    A few sparrow-feathers fell to the courtroom floor as Maya materialized, still clad in her brown cape from before. The goddess of chance descended slowly to the marble flooras she looked around in quiet appreciation. Her dear aunt had been busy. She looked down towards the Circle in the centre of the floor, feeling the power emanating from the mystical diagram all too quickly. The Ladyof Risk struggled to keep her face carefully neutral at the prospect of such a tool being in the employ of the Lady of Pain. It was a limit, a restraint, a certainty... all things that made Maya nervous simply by their nature. Still, when she finally located her red-skinned relative, seated on the judge's bench, the Lady of Luck smiled, bowing low, and with honest respect.

"Sister Nergath, how do you fare?" She glanced around the chamber briefly, looking for others, before turning back to the Goddess of Law. "I would speak with you, if you have the time. Events on the Material proceed down the course I'd feared. I would value your advice as to what should be done."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2014-08-15 at 03:28 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sister Sparrow
    Show
    Illyria
    Maya frowned, looking down upon her lands in the form of a great sparrow as the Vermin Lord spoke to her. It took the goddess of luck a few seconds to see what he had set in motion, and the realization puzzled her. Extending life in return for her people's praise? What could Uelticrat be thinking with such an offer? It concerned her deeply, as she could not understand her uncle's motives... but gazing beyond her lands, so did many things. Things that went more inherently against her domain than Uelticrat's games as they'd progressed thus far.

The Okyua had advanced greatly from their first days, simple beings that did little more than fish and eat. They were on the verge of becoming a true civilization but still the other races had advantages they did not. Wisdom, quickness beyond measure, magic and strength. Always strength. Maya's gaze darkened as her eye reached the city of Harena Magnus. The Hartmen's strength was great, but not insurmountable. Yet these 'titans' the Sun God had made? Each was strong beyond mortal measure, as you may have expected from brick headed Alcandor. The chances of an elf or Hartman beating one in single combat was slim, yet alone for one of the Okyua to attempt such a feat

Problems. Always problems, and she couldn't always be there to set them to rights. No, she needed to do what Uelticrat never did. Make allies, and convince others of her cause. Cawing once again in mirth, Maya swerved, racing towards the sun. With a flash of golden light, the great sparrow was gone from the prime.

The Divine Court
    A few sparrow-feathers fell to the courtroom floor as Maya materialized, still clad in her brown cape from before. The goddess of chance descended slowly to the marble flooras she looked around in quiet appreciation. Her dear aunt had been busy. She looked down towards the Circle in the centre of the floor, feeling the power emanating from the mystical diagram all too quickly. The Ladyof Risk struggled to keep her face carefully neutral at the prospect of such a tool being in the employ of the Lady of Pain. It was a limit, a restraint, a certainty... all things that made Maya nervous simply by their nature. Still, when she finally located her red-skinned relative, seated on the judge's bench, the Lady of Luck smiled, bowing low, and with honest respect.

"Sister Nergath, how do you fare?" She glanced around the chamber briefly, looking for others, before turning back to the Goddess of Law. "I would speak with you, if you have the time. Events on the Material proceed down the course I'd feared. I would value your advice as to what should be done."

[Gehenna, the Divine Court]

The Circle seemed alive, brimming with power, but strangely calm. Though it represented something terrible and wondrous, potentially world-shattering, Nergath seemed at ease near it. The runes, though not in any current language, were understood by the Divine. They spoke of righting wrongs, of fair and equal treatment for all those who found themselves bound within. The runes promised a fair trial, and they swore that no harm would come to the accused unless they were found guilty of crimes against the gods.

Nergath lifted her gaze from the binding circle on the floor, up to her niece. "Sister Maya, I am well." She said. As Maya blinked, she found Nergath standing on the floor before her, her height equal to that of her Deific Relative. "I hope you are well, but your words suggest otherwise." The Lady of Pain clasped her hands before her. "Please, tell me what has transpired."
    Last edited by Darklady2831; 2014-08-15 at 03:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Rainbow Routes

After Syrid left for the Darkness, Fáin just rested for a while and enjoyed his 'Home'. Gently rocking in his chair.

Suddenly he shuddered, had he fallen asleep?
    "Fàin! I call upon you, for I wish to speak unto you in private."

What was that? Still a bit stiff, but curious, he pulled himself from his chair and shuffled towards the call.

Fáin's Bearing

There was a noise behind the 'bird-woman'. And making his presence known with a yawn, Fáin arrived: "Good day to you, pretty bird-lady, you called, I came. My Name is Fáin, I hope you did not have to wait too long."

There was something familiar about her, he thought, one of the deities perhaps? He had seen them change form, he himself had done it in a much smaller way. Well, no reason to be impolite.
    Conjuring some seats and a table with bread, some fruits and water, he continued, "Please, sit and be my guest, eat and drink, and tell me how I may help you."

Show
    Fáin won't recognize most deities, if they disguise themselves, he just isn't the type and is blind in more than one way, although he seems to perceive a lot.
    There is also the thing, that he still isn't to sure about the whole god-stuff, or if he himself is one

18. - Top - End - #138

AssassinGuy

Sunev paused in her journey. Far, far overhead - too far to be seen by mortal eyes - a dark comet fragmented in the skies. As it entered the atmosphere, it lit up, three stars seeming to streak across the skies. One touched down far away, in the depths of the ocean, and she lost track of the second. But the third touched down at the place of her birth, not far across the sea. An emotion crossed her mind for a second - fear, possessiveness, or curiosity, she could not say - and then she was running to see what it was. A falling star was new and exciting, but what was it? She giggled to herself at the idea of a star walking on the ground, little and twinkling, like one of those strange new insects.

Mere minutes had passed before she stood, laughing and breathless, in the plateau of the mountains of Fàin's Bearing. Two strange figures - one half bird; half woman; tall and armored - the other just an old man in a worn gown - stood where the star had fallen. How disappointing. But what were they? She had seen others like them before, to be sure, but each was different. And they were neither plant nor animal nor construct, neither living nor dead.

She knew, somehow, that they were gods like her and her father. But that meant nothing to her. If you asked her, she would not call herself a god. She would call herself Nature, or perhaps Joy, or Wonder. God was a dry label, telling you nothing of what it was applied to.

Unlike the others, though, these ones were standing still, talking quietly, rather than fighting and yelling. They were of a size with her, rather than looming like mountains. And they had food! Smiling, she danced her way up to them, and in a voice like the wind sighing through the prairie, like the smell of rain on dry earth, she spoke for the first time, cocking her head to one side. "Hello! What are you?"
    ..... that was the coolest way I've ever seen some one ask for permission to betray everything.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

[Fàin's Bearing]

Nergath smiled at Fàin as he arrived. She bowed her head in respect. "You travel quickly, Wanderer. I only just asked for you pres-" She was cut off as Sunev spoke, making her presence known. She turned her head to look upon the new arrival. -ence... I am Nergath, Castellan of Gods, Guardian of Divinity... and you are... new." She said, tilting her head and examining the Goddess of Nature. She turned to look to Fàin once more. "My apologies for this interruption. I hope you would not be offended if I invited this young God to join us."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Faín smiled at Nergath' question.

"Not at all.", and conjuring another seat he invited the girl with a gesture, "I was about to ask you the same.
    Please, young one, sit and be my guest, eat and drink. To answer your question, I am Fáin, a traveller."

And turning to Nergath, "You changed, suits you well."

Show
    I really have to leave now, I'm late

21. - Top - End - #141

AssassinGuy

Sunev cocked her head to the other side and blinked, looking almost more like a bird than did the red god. "That doesn't make sense. How can you defend something that is? You can only defend things that may be, since they may cease to be if you don't defend them. You can defend people, that might be slain. Places, that might be destroyed. Gods just are."

Looking at the older man, she smiled. A traveler. An indistinct concept, to be sure, but a better definition than 'god'. Skipping over to him, she perched on the edge of a chair, swinging her legs in the air.
    Last edited by sean_hyer; 2014-08-15 at 04:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hospitality is Great
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapow View Post
    Faín smiled at Nergath' question.

"Not at all.", and conjuring another seat he invited the girl with a gesture, "I was about to ask you the same.
    Please, young one, sit and be my guest, eat and drink. To answer your question, I am Fáin, a traveller."

And turning to Nergath, "You changed, suits you well."

Show
    I really have to leave now, I'm late

Nergath smiled at Fàin's eagerness. It was something she enjoyed; he seemed to always be in a friendly mood, even when he shouted at people for being rude. She took her seat at the table, and gestured to Sunev to sit.

Spoiler: Curious Little Girl
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_hyer View Post
    Sunev cocked her head to the other side and blinked, looking almost more like a bird than did the red god. "That doesn't make sense. How can you defend something that is? You can only defend things that may be, since they may cease to be if you don't defend them. You can defend people, that might be slain. Places, that might be destroyed. Gods just are."

"Can you defend the trees? The Sea? What of the Earth and the Sun? All of those things are, but even they can be destroyed, corrupted, and twisted into unseemly shapes and forms. I guard that which makes the universe tick, that which must not be allowed to be twisted and corrupted. I abandoned all claim to this world to pursue the protection of Divinity; and I am as devoted to it as Her Luminance to the Light." Nergath smiled at Sunev, the black orbs of her eyes betraying nothing. You couldn't tell the iris from the pupil, or the pupil or the rest of the eye, is was simply black.

"In fact, I come here today in pursuit of that. I come here today to extend an offer of insurance and peace to all who will listen. Those of us gods who attended the First Concilium Deorum have settled on three rules, by which we believe all deities should abide. It is not in the pursuit of power or dominance that we create these rules, but in the pursuit of fluidity and mutual understanding." Nergath sipped some wine, savouring the taste. She showed a hint of pleasure at the fact that it was created by divine hands, and not crafted from the mortal world. Placing her goblet back on the table, she cleared her throat.

"The first rule we agreed upon, was a policy of non-intervention. We have agreed that to directly interfere with each other's creations would lead to friction that could spell the end of days. Thus, we propose that all gods refrain from interfering in the conflicts between mortals aligned with different gods. Among your own peoples and followers, you can do as you will, but when two opposing mortals come into conflict, we ask that the gods refrain from direct action, and only act through their followers with blessings and magic." Nergath glanced at the two gods, carefully weighing their reactions before continuing.

"The second rule we agreed upon was that all of us need a way to settle our conflicts with other gods without bringing undue ruin to the world and the mortals we shepherd. Thus we decided that all gods can invoke the right of single combat against any other god. Those who accept such a challenge will face their challenger in an Arena on neutral ground, and will be observed by at least three other gods, including myself. Thus, can we settle disputes without laying waste to all we hold dear." Nergath again looked to her host and her fellow guest. She continued quickly, trying to seem like she was giving them time to think, without actually giving them time to respond.

"And lastly, we agreed that the mortals we create and oversee must have free will in order for their lives and choices to be truly meaningful. Thus I have created souls, the essence of a mortal's life, choices, and memories. When a mortal with a soul dies, it's soul will be collected and brought to Gehenna, where I will review its life and decide which god holds the most claim over the soul. Then, I will give said soul to that god. Those souls without gods will be judged on their lives. If they lived lives full of spite and hatred for the gods, and attempted to usurp us, then they will be cast into imprisonment and punished for a time, before being reincarnated again. Those who lived their lives without learning of the gods, will be given a second chance and reincarnated immediately. Those who straddle the line between these two extremes will be given to Limbo, Purgatory, and the Trials. Thus, will they be tested, and the gods will observe them closely. At the end of their Limbo, Purgatory, or Trials, they will be again judged, and hopefully sent to a god so that they can begin their afterlife." Finally, Nergath was silent for more than a brief moment. She did not speak, instead waiting for her fellow gods to respond.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Gehenna: The Divine Court
    "As I said in the council, the work of forging races has progressed... dangerously far."

Sighing, Maya gestured upwards, conjuring spectral images of the prime to illustrate her thoughts. "The elves, Yaori and Hartmen were ultimately an irritation to me. Stronger, faster, more beautiful and with inherent magic at their command. More inherent power in a mortal race means there is less room for chance and unpredictability in its dealings. With greater power, you draw closer to certainty of success." Clenching her fists, the Goddess of Luck shook her head. This was not the root of her irritation. merely a symptom. "Yet for these races, success was still not certain. Not absolutely. There was still room for luck to play its part, for better or worse with them."

"However, our dear nephew, Alcandor has decided to take matters a step further." With a wave of her hand, Maya conjured the image of Harena Magnus, the towers of the Sun God's Capitol slowly rising beneath the hands of his gargantuan children. "These Titans of his might be the strongest thing yet to walk the Prime. Their only equal is Sahu's Kraken. Yet those beings are individuals, creatures with a different kind of sentience to most mortal life. Alcandor's children are mortals... merely with long life, impossible strength, a command of magic inherent in their natures and resistance to the magics of all others. The creations of a being who sees strength as right of rulership, and thus sought children stronger than all others. Most likely in the hope that they will rule the Prime entire."

The Lady of Risk did not seek to hide her disparaging tone when speaking of the Sun God. Placing a hand on her forehead and breathingdeeply, Maya tried to calm herself. She looked towards the floor for a few seconds, centring her thoughts before looking back to Nergath. "If this continues, all the gods will escalate the matter further, striving to create more powerful races than those which came before. The older mortal tribes will become increasingly irrelevant, and the gods who invested in them will become agitated. This is a conflict in the making." She wasn't sure if Luminescence or Skyen would agree with her remarks, but Maya saw no harm in speaking for them. Tapping her finger against a piller in the courthouse, she met Nergath's gaze directly for a moment, smiling to her aunt. "Also, wasn't there a ruling at the council against mortal beings thinking themselves divine? That such an act would lead to punishment upon their death." The question was rhetorical, but Maya bowed her head after asking it. "With the power Alcandor is granting his children... that risk grows closer, sister. And beings such as these Titans will be dying rarely, if at all."
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2014-08-15 at 04:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: A Growing Threat; Titans
    Show
    "As I said in the council, the work of forging races has progressed... dangerously far."

Sighing, Maya gestured upwards, conjuring spectral images of the prime to illustrate her thoughts. "The elves, Yaori and Hartmen were ultimately an irritation to me. Stronger, faster, more beautiful and with inherent magic at their command. More inherent power in a mortal race means there is less room for chance and unpredictability in its dealings. With greater power, you draw closer to certainty of success." Clenching her fists, the Goddess of Luck shook her head. This was not the root of her irritation. merely a symptom. "Yet for these races, success was still not certain. Not absolutely. There was still room for luck to play its part, for better or worse with them."

"However, our dear nephew, Alcandor has decided to take matters a step further." With a wave of her hand, Maya conjured the image of Harena Magnus, the towers of the Sun God's Capitol slowly rising beneath the hands of his gargantuan children. "These Titans of his might be the strongest thing yet to walk the Prime. Their only equal is Sahu's Kraken. Yet those beings are individuals, creatures with a different kind of sentience to most mortal life. Alcandor's children are mortals... merely with long life, impossible strength, a command of magic inherent in their natures and resistance to the magics of all others. The creations of a being who sees strength as right of rulership, and thus sought children stronger than all others. Most likely in the hope that they will rule the Prime entire."

The Lady of Risk did not seek to hide her disparaging tone when speaking of the Sun God. Placing a hand on her forehead and breathingdeeply, Maya tried to calm herself. She looked towards the floor for a few seconds, centring her thoughts before looking back to Nergath. "If this continues, all the gods will escalate the matter further, striving to create more powerful races than those which came before. The older mortal tribes will become increasingly irrelevant, and the gods who invested in them will become agitated. This is a conflict in the making." She wasn't sure if Luminescence or Skyen would agree with her remarks, but Maya saw no harm in speaking for them. Tapping her finger against a piller in the courthouse, she met Nergath's gaze directly for a moment, smiling to her aunt. "Also, wasn't there a ruling at the council against mortal beings thinking themselves divine? That such an act would lead to punishment upon their death." The question was rhetorical, but Maya bowed her head after asking it. "With the power Alcandor is granting his children... that risk grows closer, sister. And beings such as these Titans will be dying rarely, if at all."

Nergath frowned, the dark blackness of her eyes clearing to reveal eyes with deep orange irises, a deep black pupil, and yellowed whites. She gazed at the images, a grim look on her face. "You speak true, Sister Maya. We must act quickly if we are to prevent an arms race and escalation into open war." The Lady of Pain paced across the Courtroom floor, thinking. "We should summon Alcandor here, and convince him to move his Titans from the Prime, lest they endanger that world... Perhaps we can change those who refuse to leave, weakening them that they do not break the balance. As for the other races... I believe we can even the odds. Those races without such inherent abilities... can we not make them better learners? Faster learners, with greater potential, would certainly counter such inherent power by giving those without powerful limbs and natural magic a way to equal and perhaps exceed their peers."

She stopped, turning to Maya. "What is your opinion on powerful beings who's purpose is not to grow like the other mortals... I propose a group of beings who's purpose is to protect the balance and Divine Law... angels. They would be bound to the will of all the gods, and only interfere with the mortal world when the balance is in danger." She shook her head. "No, no. We'd never get the rest of our brethren to agree to such beings. No, we must start with diplomacy. Force shall be reserved for the last option." Nergath sighed. "Even should Alcandor refuse our compromises, then if his Titans think themselves greater than the Divine, they will be punished. No doubt this will anger him... Then the path is clear. We shall speak with Alcandor, and use souls to even the odds by strengthening the underdogs' potential."

25. - Top - End - #145

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by darklady2831 View Post
    "can you defend the trees? The sea? What of the earth and the sun? All of those things are, but even they can be destroyed, corrupted, and twisted into unseemly shapes and forms. I guard that which makes the universe tick, that which must not be allowed to be twisted and corrupted. I abandoned all claim to this world to pursue the protection of divinity; and I am as devoted to it as Her Luminance to the light."

Sunev boggled at the... madwoman in front of her. The trees could be felled. The sea despoiled. The earth fractured. Even the sun could be extinguished, just as she had seen it ignited. The universe, and the gods themselves? They could not be destroyed, unless they let themselves lapse into silence, and slumber the aeons away. At least she was a harmless madwoman, if she would not interfere with the world.

Spoiler
    Show
    "In fact, I come here today in pursuit of that. I come here today to extend an offer of insurance and peace to all who will listen. Those of us gods who attended the first concilium deorum have settled on three rules, by which we believe all deities should abide. It is not in the pursuit of power or dominance that we create these rules, but in the pursuit of fluidity and mutual understanding."

Too many words, saying too little. It took Sunev a moment to unravel them, and then she almost groaned. This madwoman had come up with some rules, and now she wanted everyone to follow them. Only it took her about ten times that long to say it.

Spoiler
    Show
    "The first rule we agreed upon, was a policy of non-intervention. We have agreed that to directly interfere with each other's creations would lead to friction that could spell the end of days. Thus, we propose that all gods refrain from interfering in the conflicts between mortals aligned with different gods. Among your own peoples and followers, you can do as you will, but when two opposing mortals come into conflict, we ask that the gods refrain from direct action, and only act through their followers with blessings and magic."

Blah, blah, blah. Don't interfere in fights between mortals. This yoke galled. While she had no people and would take no sides, she would like to stop wars from even occurring. However... it might benefit her, if the time came she must defend her places. Concepts played across her mind. If the gods could not intervene to defend them, she could cleanse entire species from the world. From what she had seen, all the races created so far were rather... unimaginative. If the other laws weren't too restrictive, she could suffer through the inconvenience of this one.

Spoiler
    Show
    "The second rule we agreed upon was that all of us need a way to settle our conflicts with other gods without bringing undue ruin to the world and the mortals we shepherd. Thus we decided that all gods can invoke the right of single combat against any other god. Those who accept such a challenge will face their challenger in an arena on neutral ground, and will be observed by at least three other gods, including myself. Thus, can we settle disputes without laying waste to all we hold dear."

Blah blah boring. Okay, she wasn't allowed to get into fights. Well, she hadn't been planning to, really. On top of that, she noticed that Nergath mentioned the challenged had to accept the duel. So even if she really annoyed someone, she could just refuse to fight them and they couldn't do anything to her. Rather than a yoke, this was a shield, raised freely over her head.

Spoiler
    Show
    "And lastly, we agreed that the mortals we create and oversee must have free will in order for their lives and choices to be truly meaningful. Thus I have created souls, the essence of a mortal's life, choices, and memories. When a mortal with a soul dies, its soul will be collected and brought to gehenna, where I will review its life and decide which god holds the most claim over the soul. Then, I will give said soul to that god. Those souls without gods will be judged on their lives. If they lived lives full of spite and hatred for the gods, and attempted to usurp us, then they will be cast into imprisonment and punished for a time, before being reincarnated again. Those who lived their lives without learning of the gods, will be given a second chance and reincarnated immediately. Those who straddle the line between these two extremes will be given to limbo, purgatory, and the trials. Thus, will they be tested, and the gods will observe them closely. At the end of their limbo, purgatory, or trials, they will be again judged, and hopefully sent to a god so that they can begin their afterlife."

Good grief, but the mad goddess liked to talk. Another complicated law. And unlike the others, this one had no effect on her at all. Well, just because the woman was clearly insane was no reason to be rude.

Laughing like a clear brook, she smiled at the madwoman in front of her. "I will accept your offer of insurance and peace, and agree to abide by those laws so long as their protections are extended to me."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The Divine Court
    "Confronting Alcandor directly seems unwise. He exists in part for the sake of such confrontations. But I see few other options."

Maya sighed, trying to consider the matter. There was no sense angering the Sun God unnessecarily... but the idea he would simply listen to them was dubious. Breathing out slowly, she looked up towards the judge's bench, slowly pondering the matter. "Not adaptability. That much would rankle, and not stand the meddling of other gods. But potential, perhaps? That falls within my domain as goddess of chance." With another wave of her hand, Maya conjured images once again. Elves struggling against Kraken, Masat venturing into the Lake of Madness. "The Titans have strength and magic inherent in their nature. Elves and Okyua do not, and thus struggle far harder to be great. Their potential should be higher than that of beings born to power. That way, whilst Alcandor and his kin can boast of Titanic Strength, the other races have the ability to build finer wonders, field deadlier warriors, plumb deeper secrets of magic than Titans ever could."

Maya chuckled at that. The possibilities such a thing would mean. Definitive statements about a race would become folly: a single elf could slay a titan with the right tools. Certianty gave way to chance. "The side effect of free will: individuality. Even chaos can support the wider order, if you manage it correctly. It's all just a matter of numbers." Shaking her head gently, Lady Luck once again met Nergath's gaze, tone once again solemn. "Still, you are goddess of Divine Law. And this change would effectively rewrite reality as it stands. Do I have your blessing for such an edict?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

The Lake of Sorrow

"Bring your friends, and I will see, little one. I will look upon them and find the sorrow in their hearts." Masat knew that if he did not leave quickly, something terrible would happen. He could feel a dark cloud of obsessive sadness descending upon his mind. The feather did somewhat to keep it at bay, but even now it was being overcome, threatening to drown him in darkness and loss.

New Sorrows?

Uraneth noticed the new one. Greater than the mortal creature in front of her, but somehow less as well. Restricted, bound. It was strange to her. When the small mortal left, she beckoned the other over. "Have you come to share in my sorrow?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Down where it's wetter
    Baloma temporarily feels as if he missed something, and yet that passes.

(I missed the Yaori, if they are a race. They get all concepts besides myrkul and metalsmithing-those come after they get a metal)

He waves up, towards where another (in this case, Nergath) approaches.

"Greetings, kinsman!"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Fáin's Bearing - A Gettogether

Fáin listened carefully, to what Nergath had to say.
    Afterwards he tapped his nose, thinking for a while.

"I think I will agree to those laws. But, considering the first law I have some questions. What do you mean with direct intervention. I don't have any followers I know of, nor is it my goal to gather them and the only mortals I have created thus far, are the swalbatrows.
    For example, would it be intervention, if I provide shelter for a people suppressed and hunted by others? For I can imagine I would be tempted to do so. I certainly wouldn't attack people directly, but guide them.
    So, if this would be inside those rules, I am happy to agree."

He snickered a bit.
    "And I can't imagine I would invoke the second law, but I'm happy to hear, that there is a controlled environment, for those deities who'd like to fight.
    At least, that way, they don't endanger those who aren't interested in such a violent passtime"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The Divine Court
    "Confronting Alcandor directly seems unwise. He exists in part for the sake of such confrontations. But I see few other options."

Maya sighed, trying to consider the matter. There was no sense angering the Sun God unnessecarily... but the idea he would simply listen to them was dubious. Breathing out slowly, she looked up towards the judge's bench, slowly pondering the matter. "Not adaptability. That much would rankle, and not stand the meddling of other gods. But potential, perhaps? That falls within my domain as goddess of chance." With another wave of her hand, Maya conjured images once again. Elves struggling against Kraken, Masat venturing into the Lake of Madness. "The Titans have strength and magic inherent in their nature. Elves and Okyua do not, and thus struggle far harder to be great. Their potential should be higher than that of beings born to power. That way, whilst Alcandor and his kin can boast of Titanic Strength, the other races have the ability to build finer wonders, field deadlier warriors, plumb deeper secrets of magic than Titans ever could."

Maya chuckled at that. The possibilities such a thing would mean. Definitive statements about a race would become folly: a single elf could slay a titan with the right tools. Certianty gave way to chance. "The side effect of free will: individuality. Even chaos can support the wider order, if you manage it correctly. It's all just a matter of numbers." Shaking her head gently, Lady Luck once again met Nergath's gaze, tone once again solemn. "Still, you are goddess of Divine Law. And this change would effectively rewrite reality as it stands. Do I have your blessing for such an edict?"
    Gehenna: The divine court

Did they not see him? Syrid felt uneasy, being privy to what was clearly meant to be a private conversation. But the names they used, these were the names of beings who's mere presence caused reality to warp around them. Why did he end up here? Was He meant to be a servant to these gods? He did not know. Was he even present here, or were these merely vision being shown to him by his beacon. He looked about himself, felt the ground beneath his feet. Solid earth. It was definitely not a vision. But then why did they not acknowledge his presence? Perhaps these shadows around him concealed him from their view. He stepped forward towards them and knelt down, laying his crook and lantern before him. He dared not speak, not yet. He only prayed they did not smite him down then.