New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default No save No immunity, you just die

it is completly broken, but is there a way to get somthing do that?
    Last edited by With a box; 2014-08-08 at 07:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: No save No immunity, you just die

Irresistible Spell from the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide, which is 3rd party but has the official D&D logo on the cover, removes the saving throw from a spell. There are reports that it was errated/updated to only add a huge bonus to the DC instead of making it so the targets don't get a saving throw, but it's not mentioned in the official 3.5 update or the official errata.

Implosion has no subtypes or descriptors, it's not a death effect or a transmutation effect or mind-affecting or anything of the sort, and nothing is outright immune to evocations. It doesn't affect incorporeal creatures or creatures in gaseous form, and it allows SR so magic immunity would work. You can get Divine Metamagic for Irresistible Spell and use it with that and automatically kill four creatures, though. Otherwise I'd probably use Destruction with a Greater Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell from Complete Arcane if your opponents aren't immune to death effects.

Irresistible Spell is just so good for so much more than automatically killing one creature per caster level with a single spell, though. Use it with Command Undead to automatically take control of the uber-powerful Demilich BBEG, or even Vecna himself....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

With that smexy DnD logo is technically isn't 3rd party. KoK kinda sits is a magical land all its own. The errata appears only in the very NOT official 3.5 update book, Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands.

Arboreal Transformation is a save vs being turned into a treant that is under the caster's control for a long time. On a successful save you are instead slowed for a (somewhat debated) amount of time (minumum caster level rounds). It can one shot bosses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Irresistible Spell was updated in a later KoK book to give +10 to the save DC instead... but that book does NOT bear the official 3.5 logo, so the only official 3.5 version of the feat is the uber-broken version.

EDIT: Blasted swordsages.
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2014-08-08 at 03:36 PM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I believe that was my first swordsage. Much excite. I am trying to see if anyone can give a definitive answer of Arboreal Transformation, but seriously it and Giant Size are enough of a reason for me to play Wu Jen, because they are so cool... (my DM get's mad when I cast Gian Size and then use the Wingstorm feat).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

The Lady of Pain has that ability. So I suppose you just need a way to summon her to use it yourself. Course trying would get you killed as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giddonihah View Post
    The Lady of Pain has that ability. So I suppose you just need a way to summon her to use it yourself. Course trying would get you killed as well.
    The Lady of Pain is mentioned in the Planar Handbook, she doesn't have any stats, and really there are no actual rules or game mechanics to govern her capabilities, limitations, or vulnerabilities. She's 100% a plot tool, and if you're going to venture into that realm then you can just research a spell make rocks fall.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    With that smexy DnD logo is technically isn't 3rd party.
    Actually, the publisher is what makes it 3rd party. KoKPG was published, not by WotC, but by "Kenzer and Company." The logo simply means they are using the D&D license.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Wouldn't that leave all Dragon content less official than KoK (the three books anyways) content anyways? Or as official, I have none around me to check to see if it has the symbol.

Back on topic: aside from a few select spells, very little just "wins" encounters intrinsically. Most of it involves grabbing a second book, or sometimes a third, and using THAT to win the encounter (see Shapechange and Gate). They did pay some sort of lip service to balance, particularly once splat books came out (although doozies did show up from time to time).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sphere of Annihillation?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Is an artifact. Its counterpart spell is much less impressive.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2014-08-08 at 04:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Find a way to cart around and throw Pandorym's prison at your enemies.

It does allow for a save, but succeeding against the saving throw still kills you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post

It does allow for a save, but succeeding against the saving throw still kills you.
    what is it? google doesn't show me about that.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    A crystalline prison housing a powerful outsider that will destroy everything (everything everything) if he's set free.

Touching the prison forces a save, succeeding disintegrates you and failing wipes you from existence entirely.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Actually, the publisher is what makes it 3rd party. KoKPG was published, not by WotC, but by "Kenzer and Company." The logo simply means they are using the D&D license.
    The D&D logo means it's valid for any D&D game, unlike books that have only the d20 logo such as anything to do with Dragonlance. It doesn't matter if it's 1st party or 3rd party, it's D&D.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Is an artifact. Its counterpart spell is much less impressive.
    Good against undead, non-golem constructs and for excavation, though.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by With a box View Post
    If you want to know what book Pandorym is in, it's "Elder Evils".

18. - Top - End - #18

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Similarly, the concoction that Yuan-Ti use to turn people into Tainted Ones and Broodguards immediately puts a human imbiber into a coma on a successful DC 16 Fortitude save and kills them an hour later, while a failed save results in a successful transformation over the course of some number of days (though nothing indicates that they're actually debilitated in any way in the meantime).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm having a little trouble tracking down specifics, but no matter:
    1) Get Mettle.
    2) Get enough saves so that you're only worried about a natural-1.
    3) Get around natural-1's (Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords can do it via Diamond Mind manuevers, there's the Steadfast Determination Feat, and probably a few others)
    4) ????
    5) Profit
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    I'm having a little trouble tracking down specifics, but no matter:
    1) Get Mettle.
    2) Get enough saves so that you're only worried about a natural-1.
    3) Get around natural-1's (Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords can do it via Diamond Mind manuevers, there's the Steadfast Determination Feat, and probably a few others)
    4) ????
    5) Profit
    The “crystal” is actually a modified, solidified form of permanent prismatic wall (PH 264), six layers deep (it does not include the violet layer). The normal magical counters to the layers’ effects don’t function. Any creature that touches the crystal (even if wearing a glove or other protective clothing) is subject to the effect of one color layer per round, in consecutive order, for 6 rounds of contact. A creature still in contact with the crystal for a seventh round is drawn into the prison and blotted from existence; on a successful DC 45 Will save, it is instead disintegrated as the spell (no saving throw). A creature drawn into the prison cannot be restored by any means as long as the crystal remains intact, since it no longer truly exists in this reality. If the crystal is shattered (which releases Pandorym’s mind), a creature destroyed by entering it can be returned to life with a true resurrection, wish, or miracle spell.
    I guess that might work.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    I guess that might work.
    Oh. That makes it a lot less useful as a weapon - you need to keep them in contact with the thing for seven rounds.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Blasphemy-spells combined with massive caster level buffing and the level 11 Factotum ability "Cunning Breach" to ignore Spell Resistance is a pretty good combination. Alignment is a defense but given there's one for each alignment, casting all 4 would be guaranteed to work in that regard (more specific defenses exist though, of course). Of course, you probably want to shape them so they don't hit yourself.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

That's where you need Improved Mettle.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Blasphemy-spells combined with massive caster level buffing and the level 11 Factotum ability "Cunning Breach" to ignore Spell Resistance is a pretty good combination. Alignment is a defense but given there's one for each alignment, casting all 4 would be guaranteed to work in that regard (more specific defenses exist though, of course). Of course, you probably want to shape them so they don't hit yourself.
    Horizon Walker 6+, Aligned planar terrain mastery: "...spells and abilities that harm those of the opposite alignment don’t affect you."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

If you follow a ... flexible ... interpretation of RAW, no save. I've seen one thing with immunity, though technically golems qualify too because of SR...

Explosive Runes cast 9001 times on 9001 stamps attached to something which you have within "reading distance" of the target.
    Dispel magic cast at your lowest possible level (5th) while your actual caster level is 16 for explosive runes and the feat to take 10 on a dispel check (I think there is one).

Target receives no save and barring amazing spell resistance that you could not beat on a 20 you are likely looking at more damage than they have in HP. Almost all of that is in core, and if you do it right they'll never see it coming (as in no initiative). If you maximize it then no damage rolls. All they get is SR probably (evasion can help, but against NI explosive runes if they fail even 1% of their saves it's lights out).
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Horizon Walker 6+, Aligned planar terrain mastery: "...spells and abilities that harm those of the opposite alignment don’t affect you."
    There are also certain spell immunities, epic wards and few other things. Still, it's a good start.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The simplest form of immunity to the Word spells is the second-level Silence spell, since they're all [sonic]. Alternately, Word of Chaos and Holy Word both only effect creatures that hear them, though this wording is oddly left out of Blasphemy and Dictum. So a deaf Lawful Evil creature is immune to all four.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Arcane Fusion for Rapid Hail of Stone and a Rapid Sanctum Arcane Fusion containing a Hail of Stone and a Rapid Sanctum Arcane Fusion containing a...

It get's expensive with all that Jade, though. (You need Arcane Thesis Hail of Stone and Arcane Fusion to get the cost of Rapid Spell to 0).
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

The Stutter Caster can strip all the standard spell defenses. In short:

(a) Supernatural Spell strips spell resistance.
    (b) Surge of Fortune defeats AC.
    (c) A combination of Twin Spell, [Limited] Wish and [Greater] Arcane Fusion can brute force a failed save.

This leaves immunities of which there are many in general---defeating all immunities can become quite difficult.