New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Weird Low-Level Build

At my local card shop, people were doing some 'arena' style play; level 5 characters, no magic, no story... just fighting. Pretty generic overall, but one guy had an interesting early-entry build I hadn't seen before.

Lesser Tiefling
    Monk (Cobra Strike Style, UA) 2/Aerial Avenger 3 (Dragon Compendium)
    Flaws (2), Quick Trait
    Feats: Fiendish Bloodline, Outsider Wings, Air Heritage, Improved Flight

At level 5 that was Perfect Maneuverability flight of 80; another level of monk would make it 100; extra feats from E6 advancement would boost it further (Hidden Talent/Speed of Thought; Dash; Catalog of Enlightenment: Celerity)

Not terrible for E6 maybe, and was fairly functional in a magic-less arena. Never seen that particular early entry path before.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Weird Low-Level Build

What was his strategy exactly though? If he tries flyby attacks, opponents can ready actions to hit him, and if he engages them at range...well its nice and all, but they can do likewise, and better if they are built for it. Plus, he gets shut down by a tanglefoot bag, so...I guess it is a nice concept, and it could actually be very thematic and useful (somewhat ironically, considering he was made for arena combat) in a normal campaign, but here...it's cool, but just sort of eh.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I think he dropped tangle-foot bags and burning oil on people and flew around opportunistically attacking people who were otherwise engaged during the grand-melee.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    I didn't watch the whole thing, but I think he dropped tangle-foot bags and burning oil on people and flew around opportunistically attacking people who were otherwise engaged during the grand-melee.
    Ah, so it was a battle royale type deal. Well in that case, that would be a good way to either avoid incurring too much notice, or incurring all of the notice, depending on everyone else there. Still, not bad.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh