New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Default Pathfinder Questions: (Assassin + Slayer), Gestalt Drows

I was wondering if it is possible to do both a Death Attack and a "Master Slayer" attack in the same round [By doing a Master Slayer attack and being able to use my sneak attack]. I presume yes but want to have a second opinion.

Death Attack (Ex): If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice). Studying the victim is a standard action. The death attack fails if the target detects the assassin or recognizes the assassin as an enemy (although the attack might still be a sneak attack if the target is denied his Dexterity bonus to his Armor Class or is f lanked). If the victim of such a death attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the assassin. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the assassin has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds. If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the assassin does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

Master Slayer (Ex): A slayer of 20th level becomes a master at killing or capturing his favored targets. As a standard action, he can make a single attack against a favored target at his full attack bonus, and choose one of the following effects: kill, knock unconscious for 1d4 hours, or paralyze for 2d6 rounds. If the attack hits, the target takes damage normally and must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw (DC = 10 + 1/2 the slayer’s level + the slayer’s Intelligence modifier + the slayer’s favored target bonus) or suffer the additional effect. Whether the target succeeded, it cannot be targeted by this ability (by any slayer) for 24 hours.

----------------------------------------

Additionally, if you have a Gestalt Drow do you gain Spell Resistance at double the rate?

Spell Resistance: Drow possess spell resistance (SR) equal to 6 plus their total number of class levels.

As a gestalt has 2 classes are they considered as having 2 class levels? [for simplicity lets say level 1]
    Last edited by Red_Death01; 2014-08-09 at 07:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Questions: (Assassin + Slayer), Gestalt Drows

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Death01 View Post
    I was wondering if it is possible to do both a Death Attack and a "Master Slayer" attack in the same round [By doing a Master Slayer attack and being able to use my sneak attack]. I presume yes but want to have a second opinion.
    Nothing seems outright contradictory.
    Normally you wouldn't be able to _get_ both abilities on the same character, but given your second question about "gestalt" I'm going to assume that that is your method.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Death01 View Post
    Additionally, if you have a Gestalt Drow do you gain Spell Resistance at double the rate?

Spell Resistance: Drow possess spell resistance (SR) equal to 6 plus their total number of class levels.

As a gestalt has 2 classes are they considered as having 2 class levels? [for simplicity lets say level 1]
    Going by general Gestalt rules, you'd only get +1 SR per level up, for basically the same reason you don't get 'double Bab'.
    So no rapid progression for you.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Questions: (Assassin + Slayer), Gestalt Drows

Yes - if you somehow had both abilities and performed the necessary study time, you could use a standard action to perform the Master Slayer attack, and if that attack qualified as a sneak attack, it would then get the Death Attack option(s) added to it. The target would then make two fortitude saving throws vs. the effect(s) of your choice in addition to taking the appropriate damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)