New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Animal intelligence of 0

I have a 1st Ed AD&D question that someone else may know, but first a little background.

I have a Dwarven city, and I'm looking for a suitable subterranean mount for my dwarves. Using a charm spell you can train a great number of things that are not of opposing alignment. One of the creatures that may work is a Subterranean Lizard, but it's intelligence is "Non-" or 0.

So my question is, can you train an animal with an intelligence of 0? How stupid is 0? Is it on par with ant or bee Int? I mean it's classified as "large" so it's must be slightly smarter then a bug. And if it's too dumb to be trained, would a permanent charm spell tame it?

Thanks in advance!
    Proud 1st edtion player!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Animal intelligence of 0

That's actually a misprint.

Int 0 or Int - is actually Zombie/Construct only. Living creatures, even vermin, still have Int 1. Or they should.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's actually wide range of animals listed as having intelligence 0. It seems all insects, fish, reptiles, amphibians, and slimes are rated as such.

Except snakes and spiders, for some indiscernable reasons.
    Last edited by Yora; 2014-08-10 at 05:11 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Animal Friendship is the spell you're looking for (1st level druid). It applies to any animal that is not above semi-intelligent level, and it is permanent. You can teach the creature one trick for each point of intelligence it has.
    Animal intelligence is 1. Semi-intelligent is 2-4. I would think a lizard is definitely of animal intelligence, regardless of what the book says. Non-0 intelligence is like green slime. Now the only question is, how do your dwarves get access to druid spells?

If you're the DM creating this world, and you want your Dwarves to train lizards as mounts, then just say it is so. You don't need a rule or a spell to make it possible. There are no hard rules regarding the mundane process of training animals. It's a thing the DM would have to decide based on common sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The charm spell does not train creatures. In fact, it doesn't work on animals. Only humans or humanoids, and then it makes these beings your friends, not slaves.

Animals with 0 or non-intelligence aren't necessarily stupid, just too alien in outlook to train by humans.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Whereas I'd allow them to be trained, but they're slow to learn. I agree, they probably should've been noted as 1, but they're subject to Animal Friendship. Stupid as they are, I'd make the training time double and reduce the kinds of things they can learn by half (mostly "don't eat me" and "carry me into battle")
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I actually see this as one of those charming little inconsistencies you get due to the high level of editorial control at early TSR. I would chalk this up to the person who wrote the monster being of the opinions that animals/animal like monsters have "no intelligence" because they don't have human like intelligence.

I would guess their intent was to say" it's just an animal and just works on instinct, as opposed to saying the animal was particularly stupid for an animal.

For spell effects etc... (if relevant I'm not sure how this would work) I would make this argument to the DM and ask them to assign an INT for the animal. But I really doubt that the author actually meant the 0 as a relative score.

(I mean srsly what would have a 0, clams?)
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, I meant charm monster. I tent to agree with the general consensus though, while they can be trained doesn't mean they should be trained. They most likely would not be the "faithful steed" type, but more likely to eat the rider when charm monster wore off. They seemed to be a great choice, except the fact that they are rather violent lizards, I hoped to breed that out through magic or selective breeding. Either way I should probably consult a DM.....

And about the intelligence of 0, Gygax never gave a description of what each intelligence level really meant. He probably assumed it was self-exclamatory, as he probably never though characters would try to domesticate random monsters. It's not like there are any great kingdoms of Dwarves in the original world of Greyhawk, so dwarves riding Subterranean Lizards wasn't a big concern.

What about magical means though? Such as artificially raising their intelligence to 2, then using charm monster or possibly some custom spell or magic item to permanently subdue them? Maybe make a sub-race like dogs vs wolves? I might be able to pitch that to a DM, but generally when I get too creative DMs get irritated, so I'll need a solid justification as to why this is possible. Like will a magically increased intelligence pass to the next generation? Or will that require some sort of wish spell?
    Proud 1st edtion player!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone ever go through D1-3, Descent to the Depths of the Earth/Vault of the Drow? The drow had domesticated subterranean lizards to use as mounts and beasts of burden. They didn't need constant charm effects, and the "mules" were able to be controlled by whip. Not certain how the "warhorses" were controlled, but it was probably similar to the way surface warhorses are controlled, with (spiked) bit and bridle, and (sharp) spurs (being drow).

BECMI had a Creature Catalog that featured "Rockhome Lizards" that dwarves had domesticated to pull carts and such.

So probably no extraordinary measures will be required (unless you, as the DM, decide they will be! )
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbum42 View Post
    I have a 1st Ed AD&D question that someone else may know, but first a little background.

I have a Dwarven city, and I'm looking for a suitable subterranean mount for my dwarves. Using a charm spell you can train a great number of things that are not of opposing alignment. One of the creatures that may work is a Subterranean Lizard, but it's intelligence is "Non-" or 0.

So my question is, can you train an animal with an intelligence of 0?
    No

How stupid is 0? Is it on par with ant or bee Int?
    pretty much, or perhaps, worse. Giant ants have a 1, for example. Giant Bees have INT 5-7.

I mean it's classified as "large" so it's must be slightly smarter then a bug.
    One would think...I'd be inclined to give them an INT of 1, if I had made them up, but that's for the DM to rule on. INT 0/non can be an advantage in D&D/AD&D, sometimes a good one.

And if it's too dumb to be trained, would a permanent charm spell tame it?
    sure, although it's only going to be "tame" with regards to the one who has it charmed. charm monster has a duration in weeks (save each week to break), but it's not "permanent" per se. animal friendship won't work as it is (needs INT 1-4)

Thanks in advance!
    You are welcome.

The D series mentions: "Pack Lizards: These creatures are a breed of subterranean lizard - slow, sturdy, strong, stupid, and not easily panicked. The statistics on these creatures are:
    ARMOR CLASS: 5
    MOVE: 9”
    HIT DICE: 6+6
    NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
    DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-8
    SIZE: L (15’ long, broad backed)
    These creatures seldom will attack anything unless harmed first. Their loads are carried on special back harnesses." D1 pg 5

although it's not said, I'd say they have an INT of 1.

From D3 page 9: "Lizard Mounts are a species of subterranean lizards which the Dark Elven nobles breed. Each lizard has AC 5, moves 15", has 4+4 hit dice, and will attack by biting for 2-8 points of damage. These creatures are as large (L) as a small horse, with longish legs for a lizard. For purposes of mounted attack, treat them as medium horses when a lance is wielded from atop one."

Those seem useful for you
    Last edited by CE DM; 2014-08-11 at 09:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CE DM View Post
    The D series mentions: "Pack Lizards: These creatures are a breed of subterranean lizard - slow, sturdy, strong, stupid, and not easily panicked. The statistics on these creatures are:
    ARMOR CLASS: 5
    MOVE: 9”
    HIT DICE: 6+6
    NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
    DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-8
    SIZE: L (15’ long, broad backed)
    These creatures seldom will attack anything unless harmed first. Their loads are carried on special back harnesses." D1 pg 5

although it's not said, I'd say they have an INT of 1.

From D3 page 9: "Lizard Mounts are a species of subterranean lizards which the Dark Elven nobles breed. Each lizard has AC 5, moves 15", has 4+4 hit dice, and will attack by biting for 2-8 points of damage. These creatures are as large (L) as a small horse, with longish legs for a lizard. For purposes of mounted attack, treat them as medium horses when a lance is wielded from atop one."

Those seem useful for you
    Hmm... that seems doable. I'll have to read some stuff from D1&2, I think I actually have those, just never played them. I may need to raid a Dark Elf city and steal them, as their move and hit die are different, not sure if I can breed that. BUT, at least this proves that it's possible, with some work.

If that's not possible the only other thing I can do is tame Rock Reptiles, they're slower and can't walk on ceilings, but easier to train.

Thanks Lord Torath and CE DM on the Dungeon Module tip!
    Proud 1st edtion player!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

You're welcome, again, but you want module D3 & not D1-2 so much. Easy enough to find online if you don't have it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, int 1 is a 'dumb animal', like a sheep.

Int 2-4 is a 'smart animal', like dogs, dolphins, horses, and so on.