Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 122
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Well, I decided that we needed a place to put our unprovable OOTS theories in the backs of our heads, so here's a thread for it. That's really all I need to say. Happy posting!
    Sole member of the Illusion Belkar fan club

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

    If it has stats, it can kill you.

    Please don't ask how many of my evil plans involve homebrewed monsters with the "Swallow Whole" ability.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Socksy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Hannah Bidetsmith is adopted and is Redcloak's niece.

    More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan. It would be another reason to hide stuff from Hannah, and she would use either a hat of disguise or a mundane disguise kit to look constantly older. She, like Malack, has long-term plans for the area- possibly going to attack the elves and claim the non-desert part of the continent for the humans, probably ensuring plumbing became a noble and well-paid art.
    ℓαυяιn ιѕ тнє вєѕт ℓєgισnnαιяє

    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Most men are actually The Flash in disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    in the dungeon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Xykon knows that the replacement phylactery Redcloak gave him is not the real one.

    Just a hunch, since he foresaw the whole
    Spoiler: Start Of Darkness
    Show
    assassination attempt by Right-Eye
    and had a counter for that, in fact making it part of his plan.

    Xykon is a lot smarter than he acts.
    "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Joss Whedon

    "Pointless exchanges are 90% of what the forum does." - Kish

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Super Evil User's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Xykon knows that the replacement phylactery Redcloak gave him is not the real one.

    Just a hunch, since he foresaw the whole
    Spoiler: Start Of Darkness
    Show
    assassination attempt by Right-Eye
    and had a counter for that, in fact making it part of his plan.

    Xykon is a lot smarter than he acts.
    Obligatory:

    Don't confuse not caring with not knowing.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    in the dungeon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Evil User View Post
    Obligatory:

    Don't confuse not caring with not knowing.
    The thing that makes it uncertain is; how much has Redcloak compensated for Xykon's known amount of cunning in laying his own counter-counter-counter-plans? Arguably, his dealings with Tsukiko show that Redcloak has himself become a high-level chessmaster. Who's better at playing Xanatos Speed Chess?
    "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Joss Whedon

    "Pointless exchanges are 90% of what the forum does." - Kish

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dixie
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Elves are really all asexual, which is why V doesn't pay much attention to pronouns, didn't notice that Roy was a woman, etc. Marriage is a recent concept that the Elves adopted from other races, which is why V's children use "Parent" and "Other Parent" rather than "Mother" and "Father"--only the word "Parent" exists in the Elven language. Oh, and since they're asexual, Elves reproduce by budding.
    Spoiler: Hall of Characters
    Show
    (PF) Bjarne Stahlgeist, LN Dwarf Fighter (10)/Cleric (4) (gestalt)--alive and well
    (PF) Birios, CG Gnome Sorcerer (1)--alive and well
    (PF) William Gedding, NG Human Ranger (1)--alive and well
    (3.5) Gaeralagos, CN Half-Elf Rogue (2)/Swashbuckler (4)--alive and well
    (PF) Sithundan, NG Oread Fighter (6)--alive and well

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    I still suspect that the MitD is actually Serini in some form or another and that she'll be the one to provide the background exposition behind what the snarl/gates/etc. really are, the acrimony between the Scribble team, and possibly replace Belkar after his quickly-approaching death.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Elves are really all asexual, which is why V doesn't pay much attention to pronouns, didn't notice that Roy was a woman, etc. Marriage is a recent concept that the Elves adopted from other races, which is why V's children use "Parent" and "Other Parent" rather than "Mother" and "Father"--only the word "Parent" exists in the Elven language. Oh, and since they're asexual, Elves reproduce by budding.
    I think that one is disproved by Lirian.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    I think that one is disproved by Lirian.
    And the existence of half-elves in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by choken1 View Post
    You should hear about the time when somebody took his hammer.

    (Let's just say that deaths, mutilation and cross dressing is involved.)

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Hannah Bidetsmith is adopted and is Redcloak's niece.

    More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan. It would be another reason to hide stuff from Hannah, and she would use either a hat of disguise or a mundane disguise kit to look constantly older. She, like Malack, has long-term plans for the area- possibly going to attack the elves and claim the non-desert part of the continent for the humans, probably ensuring plumbing became a noble and well-paid art.
    Well, Elans do age, it just takes a long time. Elans become venerable at 1000 years, but never actually die after that, unless killed.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Xykon knows that the replacement phylactery Redcloak gave him is not the real one.
    Sure, but this is not unprovable, not as such. By the end of the story we will know if Xykon figured this out in advance or not. Of course, it is unprovable now, but the same could be said of every other theory about future events.

    Grey Wolf
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    I've always had a half-serious theory that Tarquin is a "fallen" bard - that is, a bard who violated the "bards cannot become lawful" alignment clause. It would tie in with his rant about how they should be using their knowledge of narrative structure to rule the world instead of singing in taverns, especially because that rant is one of only a few things I've ever seen to actually imply a (parodic) reason for why bards can't be lawful. And it would tie in a lot better to the Darth Vader jokes then the idea that he's a blackguard or other form of fallen paladin would (something I saw people seriously suggest in the past).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I can say with absolute certainty that no one ever told Rich his books would stop being published if he didn't include a lesbian airship captain.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

    Useful links:

    OOTS Smilies Thread
    Index of the Giant's Comments
    (more later)

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I've always had a half-serious theory that Tarquin is a "fallen" bard - that is, a bard who violated the "bards cannot become lawful" alignment clause. It would tie in with his rant about how they should be using their knowledge of narrative structure to rule the world instead of singing in taverns, especially because that rant is one of only a few things I've ever seen to actually imply a (parodic) reason for why bards can't be lawful. And it would tie in a lot better to the Darth Vader jokes then the idea that he's a blackguard or other form of fallen paladin would (something I saw people seriously suggest in the past).
    That's surprisingly plausible. Id love to see the Giant comment on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by choken1 View Post
    You should hear about the time when somebody took his hammer.

    (Let's just say that deaths, mutilation and cross dressing is involved.)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My own private Nogero
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    The MitD's name is Marty Stu...
    Helix, if everything goes according to plan, the plan has been compromised. -- Sam Starfall in Freefall

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    in the dungeon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Sure, but this is not unprovable, not as such. By the end of the story we will know if Xykon figured this out in advance or not. Of course, it is unprovable now, but the same could be said of every other theory about future events.

    Grey Wolf
    It might also be said about any other revelation about a character's past that might still be made, any secret that could yet be revealed, etc.

    "Unproven" and "unprovable" are almost identical in this context, unless we're using "unprovable" as "not only unproven at this time, but extremely unlikely to be proved at any time in the future as well."

    In which case, I have a theory that the MitD was a friend of Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster in his youth, both of whom arrived in his world via the Gates before Soon and the Order of the Scribble sealed them up.

    Now that's unprovable.
    "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." - Joss Whedon

    "Pointless exchanges are 90% of what the forum does." - Kish

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan.
    .......

    I submit that Elan is an Elan, but he's a terrible Elan because he's Elan. Which would make him Elan the Elan with elan.
    DZ-4049 in the 501st Legion! Silver Dragon avatar by the awesome Cuthalion!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    The fallen bard thing works, but I say that Tarquin is the son of a bard. He was impressed by his father's grasp of narrative, but not so much by his singing and juggling. Plus, being Lawful Evil, he wasn't able to actually take the class anyway, so he made his own build. Heavier on combat.
    Nale was brought up to respect the power of narrative, but not bards. Nale actually could have been an evil bard if he'd wanted to, but since he thought he was lawful he didn't actually try, and went the overly complicated alternate route.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Socksy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Leviting View Post
    Well, Elans do age, it just takes a long time. Elans become venerable at 1000 years, but never actually die after that, unless killed.
    She would have to be pretty young for an Elan, she has a daughter (unless Hannah is adopted)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    .......

    I submit that Elan is an Elan, but he's a terrible Elan because he's Elan. Which would make him Elan the Elan with elan.
    Is Nale an Elan too, just because he used to be obsessed with the evil opposites theme?
    ℓαυяιn ιѕ тнє вєѕт ℓєgισnnαιяє

    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Most men are actually The Flash in disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by CletusMusashi View Post
    The fallen bard thing works, but I say that Tarquin is the son of a bard. He was impressed by his father's grasp of narrative, but not so much by his singing and juggling. Plus, being Lawful Evil, he wasn't able to actually take the class anyway, so he made his own build. Heavier on combat.
    Nale was brought up to respect the power of narrative, but not bards. Nale actually could have been an evil bard if he'd wanted to, but since he thought he was lawful he didn't actually try, and went the overly complicated alternate route.
    So, you are saying that Bard Runs in the Family?
    Jaxzan

    How vampires work in OOTS.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    The Monster in the Darkness is Pun Pun.

    Pun Pun can do anything and is all-powerful, he's a recursive 3.5 build abuse that famously provides infinite power at a certain point in the build. But the build requires him to be a fairly normal kobold for several levels. So vast cosmic power but just wants a regular supply of stew.

    Only problem with that theory is the Monster seems to be rather large, which Pun Pun isn't unless he's routinely using shapeshift spell 24x7 (which he can do, but it isn't clear why)

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Graustein's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berlin

    Default ERe: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Elves are not biologically asexual, but they have no concept of gender beyond noting that some Elves have one set of parts and some Elves have another set of parts and sex involving these two kinds of Elves leads to reproduction. Other than that, all Elves are Elves, and are a bit bewildered by the obsession other races have with separating people based on what (as far as they're concerned) is basically plumbing. Their relationship styles are more or less similar to those of other races, except not every Elven pair will be able to reproduce, but adoption is common.

    Some Elves pick up the idea of gender from other races and try it on for size (following their own interpretations of it; an Elf with what another race might consider female parts deciding that they quite like being a He, actually, or whatever) but not all. V is in this regard pretty much a normal Elf.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    littlebum2002's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post

    More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan.
    Every time I hear this theory I always think people are saying "Laurin is to her group like Elan is to the OOTS"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Every time I hear this theory I always think people are saying "Laurin is to her group like Elan is to the OOTS"
    I think the exact same thing. Confuses me every time.
    Jaxzan

    How vampires work in OOTS.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Socksy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    But imagine Elan (as in McTarquinsson) with Laurin's raw psionic power, and the ability to use it somehow. Holy crap that's scary.
    ℓαυяιn ιѕ тнє вєѕт ℓєgισnnαιяє

    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Most men are actually The Flash in disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    I have one that is completely insane: Shojo awakened Mr. Scruffy, who understands common and is CN.
    Sole member of the Illusion Belkar fan club

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

    If it has stats, it can kill you.

    Please don't ask how many of my evil plans involve homebrewed monsters with the "Swallow Whole" ability.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    I have one that is completely insane: Shojo awakened Mr. Scruffy, who understands common and is CN.
    O..kay? What does "awakened" mean and why does it matter whether Scruffy understands common or is Chaotic Neutral?

    A theory is supposed to explain or justify something. What exactly is this explaining or justifying?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    O..kay? What does "awakened" mean and why does it matter whether Scruffy understands common or is Chaotic Neutral?
    It means that Shojo cast Awaken on Mr. Scruffy, which would make him able to speak and have an alignment matching that of the person who awakened him. I don't recall Shojo's alignment.
    Jaxzan

    How vampires work in OOTS.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Socksy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It means that Shojo cast Awaken on Mr. Scruffy, which would make him able to speak and have an alignment matching that of the person who awakened him. I don't recall Shojo's alignment.
    I think he's Chaotic Good, although I've seen some people saying CN.
    ℓαυяιn ιѕ тнє вєѕт ℓєgισnnαιяє

    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Most men are actually The Flash in disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Aedilred's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It means that Shojo cast Awaken on Mr. Scruffy, which would make him able to speak and have an alignment matching that of the person who awakened him. I don't recall Shojo's alignment.
    Never outright stated, but non-Lawful. Belkar pegged him as Chaotic Good, which seems fairly likely.
    Avatar by Strawberries

    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup - Season V
    Red Sabres
    Season 1 Cup Champions; two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors
    League Wiki

    The Kingdom of the Carmine Sea in Morph Bark's EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game
    We now have a wiki!

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

    Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    I think he's Chaotic Good, although I've seen some people saying CN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Never outright stated, but non-Lawful. Belkar pegged him as Chaotic Good, which seems fairly likely.
    That's probably what I would assume as well, without any other information.
    Jaxzan

    How vampires work in OOTS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •