New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Elan did quite well until he began overthinking it out loud. That's a case of his charisma doing a good job, and then his poor intelligence promptly undoing it, certainly, but theyre two separate causes and effects.
    Yes, I agree with that. What I'm saying is that charisma is rather consistently represented in the comic, and that its variable applications depend both on the characters' other stats and on their motivations.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Yes, I agree with that. What I'm saying is that charisma is rather consistently represented in the comic, and that its variable applications depend both on the characters' other stats and on their motivations.
    Oh, sure. Anyone can use their talents and/or abilities poorly, no matter what it is.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I have a Theorie for this Thread. This Theorie isn't unprovable. The Future will reveal if it is right. But that goes for a lot of other Theories in this Thread and i think, that this is still the best Thread for it. I think, that Vaarsuvius and Redcloak could have an important Scene together in the Future. Two Things let me think this.

1. Vs Reaction on Vs deeds is the exact opposite as Redcloak.

When Right-Eye confronted Redcloak about his Alliance with Xykon before he was killed by him, he pointed out, that Redcloak can't admit his mistakes and will repeat them because of that. What is the first Thing that V does after V finds out about the Draketooth-Clan? V realized, that V made an Mistake(Understatement). Not just that, V destroys every Attempt from Blackwing and Quarr, to convince V, that Vs Mistake wasn't so bad. Where Redcloak denies, that he made big Mistakes, even though Right-Eye confronts him with it, V insists, that V made a big Mistake even though Blackwing and Quarr gives him every possible Excuse for it.

I think, that this could lead to a scene, where V finds out about Redcloaks Backstory and gives him a big "The Reason you suck"-Speach about admitting your Mistakes and everything.

The other Thing, that could lead to an important Scene between this two Characters:

2. V is now learning, that V shouldn't kill somebody without thinking, just because his Species is supposedly always evil. This Sort of Thinking is exactly, what lead to Redcloaks Goals.

If V finds out about Redcloaks Backstory, maybe V will think, that V owns something to Redcloak, because it were Action like his thoughtless Act against the black dragons, that created Redcloaks Way of Thinking. Maybe V will try to talk Redcloak out of his Ways rather than fight, because V doesn't want to kill him. Another very unlikely, but very interesting Option would be, that V helps Redcloak with the Ritual, because he thinks, he could redeem himself from killing countless of Creatures because he saw them just as evil, by helping the Dark One and his Goblins, that were also killed countless, because many People saw them just as evil. I think, that it could be, that Xykon finds out about the real Function of the Ritual and says to Redcloak, that he will now destroy Gobbotopia as Revenge for Redcloaks Lie. Redcloak will therefore try to destroy Kraagors Gate. Redcloak said in SoD, that even if the Gates are destroyed and the Snarl is led lose, it would be a Win for the Goblins, because the Dark One would be involved in the Recreation in the World and would give a better Place in the World to the Goblins, so he thinks, that letting the Snarl free is better than just let Xykon destroy almost all Goblins. But V stops him and says him, that V will be the Spellcaster that Redcloaks needs for the Ritual, because he wants to help the Goblins to redeem himself from killing the Black Dragons.

Yeah, that sounds crazy, but I thought it could be an interesting Possibility, even though V would propably not trust the Dark One, that he would with the Power of the Snarl only make the World a better Place for the Goblins. Also I learned that it is real difficult to adress V in my Posts. To stay Gender-Neutral, i chosed always V instead of he/she/his/her/him/etc. I don't really like the popular "They" as Solution for that.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I've heard that theory a lot, but I feel like blackmailing the gods with a creature that can destroy all reality is officially in the realm of Bad Ideas, especially when you've hit the "I don't care if the Snarl brutally kills and permanently erases from existence the entirety of reality as long as the world that replaces it sucks less" point. Things need to change for the goblin people, but there are good solutions and less good solutions. Given that we don't know that the Snarl is what we've been told, what's up with the world inside the Snarl, or that the Dark One is on the up and up, I am going to say that V participating in the Ritual would not only not lead to redemption, but would probably lead to a wholesale slaughter that makes Familicide look mild.

I do, however, like the idea of V's arc being contrasted with Redcloak's, and of V trying to convince Redcloak to see his own mistakes.

(Side note: while I like zie/zir/zir for my third gender pronouns because I have a friend who uses said pronouns, I tend to use ve/vir/vir for V, because it just flows from V. Whatever pronouns you are most comfortable using for V work, though, in lieu of V giving them virself. Not gonna get too into this, though, since it tends to get vitriolic surprisingly quickly.)
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

It seems like I wasn't clear. I wanted to say, that V would see this Act as an Act of Redemption, not that it is an Act of Redemption. I would see this Action from V still as relatively evil.

I've heard that theory a lot
    Really? If this Theory is somewhere in this Forum, could you show me a Link.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    It seems like I wasn't clear. I wanted to say, that V would see this Act as an Act of Redemption, not that it is an Act of Redemption. I would see this Action from V still as relatively evil.
    Ah, apologies. I misunderstood. I could definitely see V seeing it as an act of redemption, but I don't see the narrative going that way - V seems fairly solidly on the right track now, and I think V would recognize the failings of that path.

Really? If this Theory is somewhere in this Forum, could you show me a Link.
    I'm afraid I don't know any posts off the top of my head - there's no dedicated long running thread or anything, but there have been a reasonably regular scattering of threads and posts dedicated to it over the years.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously Elan is a elan and Belkar is a belker.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Silly Wild Mass Guessing Thread Thingy

I'll start.

At the end of the story, Elan transcends into being a 5e Bard of Lore and awesome.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Silly Wild Mass Guessing Thread Thingy

my turn!!
    mitd is actually the heavily templated snail from the dragon magazine comics
    Am A:

Chaotic Neutral Human Ranger/Wizard (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Silly Wild Mass Guessing Thread Thingy

Belkar and Xkyon are secretly manifestations of the split personality of Roy who is in reality an epic-level Psion. This is shown in the 8th panel of #787.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Elan is played by a woman, and Haley is played by a man, and the two of them have an out-of-character romance (sort of like Jim and Annie from Darths and Droids). This explains the awkward tension between them early in the strip, and Haley's fanservicey behavior (especially before she matured more) and misogyny, and Elan's sensitivity and caring.

The only problem, of course, is the "not actually played by players" thing.
    I love that one. It makes perfect sense. Elan being ignorant about the woman saying "nice ass"? Totally plausible if the female player just hates that kind of pick-up-line, having heard it one time too often, and decided to intentionally misunderstand it in the same manner she does in real life.

Of course, Elan's sensitivity and caring also make sense if you realize that he considers seducing women his job. (Or at least did so until he ended up with Haley). There is more to that than high charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by Graustein View Post
    Elves are not biologically asexual, but they have no concept of gender beyond noting that some Elves have one set of parts and some Elves have another set of parts and sex involving these two kinds of Elves leads to reproduction. Other than that, all Elves are Elves, and are a bit bewildered by the obsession other races have with separating people based on what (as far as they're concerned) is basically plumbing. Their relationship styles are more or less similar to those of other races, except not every Elven pair will be able to reproduce, but adoption is common.

Some Elves pick up the idea of gender from other races and try it on for size (following their own interpretations of it; an Elf with what another race might consider female parts deciding that they quite like being a He, actually, or whatever) but not all. V is in this regard pretty much a normal Elf.
    That has always been my assumption about elves. Thanks for providing an explanation for the exceptions that do have a gender. Now it all makes sense!
    Last edited by Themrys; 2014-11-06 at 08:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Elan is on the way to turn to CE... and smarter than we all think, as shown during the lapse with his father, plus the good plan to vanquish him. He understands what kind of blood runs in his family and starts embrazing it. And which way to show it dramatically? using oblivious third people in order to terminate his father and occupying the power afterwards, due to his history and exceptional charisma. It would be a masterpiece that would make Tarquin really proud of him.

As seen during the comics and with all the issues about his family he is starting to become merciless, even though it can be considered wisdom.
    There is as well, this small reference of a "detect evil" check on him, saying "still not evil", that left me thinking.

So yeah, my unprovable theory is that Elan will make a twist to the dark side.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brumagris View Post
    Elan is on the way to turn to CE... and smarter than we all think, as shown during the lapse with his father, plus the good plan to vanquish him. He understands what kind of blood runs in his family and starts embrazing it. And which way to show it dramatically? using oblivious third people in order to terminate his father and occupying the power afterwards, due to his history and exceptional charisma. It would be a masterpiece that would make Tarquin really proud of him.

As seen during the comics and with all the issues about his family he is starting to become merciless, even though it can be considered wisdom.
    There is as well, this small reference of a "detect evil" check on him, saying "still not evil", that left me thinking.

So yeah, my unprovable theory is that Elan will make a twist to the dark side.
    That's not unprovable; that's debunked before you started.

Elan has shown no inclination to "occupy the power afterwards." Ever since he realized what his father was he resisted at every turn up to and including Tarquin falling from the airship.

He has shown zero inclination toward mercilessness. He had to be almost dragged away from helping Julio on the ground and wouldn't leave him once they were on the airship, and he knew Tarquin would survive the fall off the airship.

There is zilch about his actions during any of this that would indicate an alignment change is necessary or forthcoming.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Last edited by Porthos; 2014-11-27 at 01:05 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    Ok. Now for the other question I asked - what does that explain or justify?
    the gradual shift in Belkar's character
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

16. - Top - End - #136

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFizban View Post
    the gradual shift in Belkar's character
    The gradual shift in Belkar's character can simply be explained by having someone around he cares about. There is no need for a magical explanation.

Actually, if there WAS a magical explanation for the shift in Belkar's character that sort of cheapens it, don't you think?
    Last edited by orrion; 2014-12-06 at 06:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

If Miko had had a single real friend, ever, she wouldn't have gone off the deep end.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    If Miko had had a single real friend, ever, she wouldn't have gone off the deep end.
    What about her horse?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Clearly the Horse wasn't enough. She needed a friend on two legs.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Clearly the Horse wasn't enough. She needed a friend on two legs.
    Why she needed someone with two legs? What can they give her that her horse can't?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Why she needed someone with two legs? What can they give her that her horse can't?
    Treasure Type O

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Treasure Type O
    So, she needs to get laid...
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

New speculation. The Dark One realizes that Odin likes puppets, so he ties strings to his arms and legs and is accepted into the pantheon.

24. - Top - End - #144

Oh no. I'd want to see Miko with at least 3 or 4 solid real friends (on 2 legs) before she goes hunting down any treasure type O.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no. I'd want to see Miko with at least 3 or 4 solid real friends (on 2 legs) before she goes hunting down any treasure type O.
    It usually doesn't take me that many.

[Usually.]

26. - Top - End - #146

The point is that it would be prudent for her to be less crazy before trying to throw treasure type O into it. As it is...if she got Treasure Type O, I'd lay solid odds that she stabs the face off whoever gave it to her for 'tempting her into sin.'

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

We all know that OOTS is not a D&D game, in so much as in the strip they aren't characters being played they exist in a world (loosely) run by the rules of D&D.

My unprovable theory is that they are based on an actual D&D game in which Rich DMs. His friend Chester - whom everybody calls "Trip" since he is a III - plays Roy.

Sometimes they have trouble getting the group together and can't play for weeks at a time.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Greenhilt Family Sword (more specifically, its hilt) is the core of the Snarl's mind. After it was removed from the abomination after the first recreation, it has lashed out at random, hoping to reclaim its thoughts.

The hilt also seeks unity with its former unstoppable proto-divine nature, and has been manipulating things ever since. The Dark One (and by extension Redcloak and by further extension Xykon) have been fooled by the deep and subtle machinations of the hilt, which knows that if you inspire powerful villains, powerful heroes will show up that can break through the defenses left by the Order of the Scribble. It has come so close now, so tantalizingly close, to passing through one of the Gates to recombine (this most recent setback in the desert, with a gate ripped open and reasonably tempting given the circumstances, was particularly annoying). Furious at this turn of events, it now manipulates Hel and her new high priest into producing just enough conflict in the part so that, at the height of their tensions, a battle will break out amongst the order and the vampire. Knowing that Roy will not risk the lives of his people without a means of resurrecting them, and that their wills are mostly too weak to handle vampiric domination, he will jump through the Gate with them, hoping beyond all hope that his soul won't be destroyed in the process.

It won't. But the rest of the world might find that a preferable alternative to the Unified Snarl and its band of possessed Player Characters. Narrative causality on their side, The Order of the Snarl will be a blight upon reality such as the deepest pits of the Hells could not design.
    Last edited by Reathin; 2014-12-12 at 08:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post
    The Greenhilt Family Sword (more specifically, its hilt) is the core of the Snarl's mind. After it was removed from the abomination after the first recreation, it has lashed out at random, hoping to reclaim its thoughts.

The hilt also seeks unity with its former unstoppable proto-divine nature, and has been manipulating things ever since. The Dark One (and by extension Redcloak and by further extension Xykon) have been fooled by the deep and subtle machinations of the hilt, which knows that if you inspire powerful villains, powerful heroes will show up that can break through the defenses left by the Order of the Scribble. It has come so close now, so tantalizingly close, to passing through one of the Gates to recombine (this most recent setback in the desert, with a gate ripped open and reasonably tempting given the circumstances, was particularly annoying). Furious at this turn of events, it now manipulates Hel and her new high priest into producing just enough conflict in the part so that, at the height of their tensions, a battle will break out amongst the order and the vampire. Knowing that Roy will not risk the lives of his people without a means of resurrecting them, and that their wills are mostly too weak to handle vampiric domination, he will jump through the Gate with them, hoping beyond all hope that his soul won't be destroyed in the process.

It won't. But the rest of the world might find that a preferable alternative to the Unified Snarl and its band of possessed Player Characters. Narrative causality on their side, The Order of the Snarl will be a blight upon reality such as the deepest pits of the Hells could not design.
    This may be one of the best theories in this thread. Well done.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #150

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reathin View Post

This except replace Roy's Sword with Elan's hand puppet, Banjo - who is undeniably pissed at that one cleric who refused to allow him to join the Northern pantheon and has decided to destroy all of reality for revenge by merging with his eldritch abomination of a relative, Banjhulu.