New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Unprovable OOTS Therories

Well, I decided that we needed a place to put our unprovable OOTS theories in the backs of our heads, so here's a thread for it. That's really all I need to say. Happy posting!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

Hannah Bidetsmith is adopted and is Redcloak's niece.

More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan. It would be another reason to hide stuff from Hannah, and she would use either a hat of disguise or a mundane disguise kit to look constantly older. She, like Malack, has long-term plans for the area- possibly going to attack the elves and claim the non-desert part of the continent for the humans, probably ensuring plumbing became a noble and well-paid art.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

3. - Top - End - #3

AssassinGuy

Xykon knows that the replacement phylactery Redcloak gave him is not the real one.

Just a hunch, since he foresaw the whole
    Spoiler: Start Of Darkness
    Show
    assassination attempt by Right-Eye
    and had a counter for that, in fact making it part of his plan.

Xykon is a lot smarter than he acts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Xykon knows that the replacement phylactery Redcloak gave him is not the real one.

Just a hunch, since he foresaw the whole
    Spoiler: Start Of Darkness
    Show
    assassination attempt by Right-Eye
    and had a counter for that, in fact making it part of his plan.

Xykon is a lot smarter than he acts.
    Obligatory:

Don't confuse not caring with not knowing.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Super Evil User View Post
    Obligatory:

Don't confuse not caring with not knowing.
    The thing that makes it uncertain is; how much has Redcloak compensated for Xykon's known amount of cunning in laying his own counter-counter-counter-plans? Arguably, his dealings with Tsukiko show that Redcloak has himself become a high-level chessmaster. Who's better at playing Xanatos Speed Chess?
    Namer Of MitD Threads

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elves are really all asexual, which is why V doesn't pay much attention to pronouns, didn't notice that Roy was a woman, etc. Marriage is a recent concept that the Elves adopted from other races, which is why V's children use "Parent" and "Other Parent" rather than "Mother" and "Father"--only the word "Parent" exists in the Elven language. Oh, and since they're asexual, Elves reproduce by budding.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I still suspect that the MitD is actually Serini in some form or another and that she'll be the one to provide the background exposition behind what the snarl/gates/etc. really are, the acrimony between the Scribble team, and possibly replace Belkar after his quickly-approaching death.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Elves are really all asexual, which is why V doesn't pay much attention to pronouns, didn't notice that Roy was a woman, etc. Marriage is a recent concept that the Elves adopted from other races, which is why V's children use "Parent" and "Other Parent" rather than "Mother" and "Father"--only the word "Parent" exists in the Elven language. Oh, and since they're asexual, Elves reproduce by budding.
    I think that one is disproved by Lirian.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    I think that one is disproved by Lirian.
    And the existence of half-elves in general.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Hannah Bidetsmith is adopted and is Redcloak's niece.

More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan. It would be another reason to hide stuff from Hannah, and she would use either a hat of disguise or a mundane disguise kit to look constantly older. She, like Malack, has long-term plans for the area- possibly going to attack the elves and claim the non-desert part of the continent for the humans, probably ensuring plumbing became a noble and well-paid art.
    Well, Elans do age, it just takes a long time. Elans become venerable at 1000 years, but never actually die after that, unless killed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Sure, but this is not unprovable, not as such. By the end of the story we will know if Xykon figured this out in advance or not. Of course, it is unprovable now, but the same could be said of every other theory about future events.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've always had a half-serious theory that Tarquin is a "fallen" bard - that is, a bard who violated the "bards cannot become lawful" alignment clause. It would tie in with his rant about how they should be using their knowledge of narrative structure to rule the world instead of singing in taverns, especially because that rant is one of only a few things I've ever seen to actually imply a (parodic) reason for why bards can't be lawful. And it would tie in a lot better to the Darth Vader jokes then the idea that he's a blackguard or other form of fallen paladin would (something I saw people seriously suggest in the past).
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I've always had a half-serious theory that Tarquin is a "fallen" bard - that is, a bard who violated the "bards cannot become lawful" alignment clause. It would tie in with his rant about how they should be using their knowledge of narrative structure to rule the world instead of singing in taverns, especially because that rant is one of only a few things I've ever seen to actually imply a (parodic) reason for why bards can't be lawful. And it would tie in a lot better to the Darth Vader jokes then the idea that he's a blackguard or other form of fallen paladin would (something I saw people seriously suggest in the past).
    That's surprisingly plausible. Id love to see the Giant comment on that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

The MitD's name is Marty Stu...
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

Sure, but this is not unprovable, not as such. By the end of the story we will know if Xykon figured this out in advance or not. Of course, it is unprovable now, but the same could be said of every other theory about future events.

Grey Wolf
    It might also be said about any other revelation about a character's past that might still be made, any secret that could yet be revealed, etc.

"Unproven" and "unprovable" are almost identical in this context, unless we're using "unprovable" as "not only unproven at this time, but extremely unlikely to be proved at any time in the future as well."

In which case, I have a theory that the MitD was a friend of Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster in his youth, both of whom arrived in his world via the Gates before Soon and the Order of the Scribble sealed them up.

Now that's unprovable.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan.

I submit that Elan is an Elan, but he's a terrible Elan because he's Elan. Which would make him Elan the Elan with elan.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

The fallen bard thing works, but I say that Tarquin is the son of a bard. He was impressed by his father's grasp of narrative, but not so much by his singing and juggling. Plus, being Lawful Evil, he wasn't able to actually take the class anyway, so he made his own build. Heavier on combat.
    Nale was brought up to respect the power of narrative, but not bards. Nale actually could have been an evil bard if he'd wanted to, but since he thought he was lawful he didn't actually try, and went the overly complicated alternate route.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Leviting View Post
    Well, Elans do age, it just takes a long time. Elans become venerable at 1000 years, but never actually die after that, unless killed.
    She would have to be pretty young for an Elan, she has a daughter (unless Hannah is adopted)

I submit that Elan is an Elan, but he's a terrible Elan because he's Elan. Which would make him Elan the Elan with elan.
    Is Nale an Elan too, just because he used to be obsessed with the evil opposites theme?
    Show

All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    So.. Keep the bard?
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CletusMusashi View Post
    The fallen bard thing works, but I say that Tarquin is the son of a bard. He was impressed by his father's grasp of narrative, but not so much by his singing and juggling. Plus, being Lawful Evil, he wasn't able to actually take the class anyway, so he made his own build. Heavier on combat.
    Nale was brought up to respect the power of narrative, but not bards. Nale actually could have been an evil bard if he'd wanted to, but since he thought he was lawful he didn't actually try, and went the overly complicated alternate route.
    So, you are saying that Bard Runs in the Family?

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

The Monster in the Darkness is Pun Pun.

Pun Pun can do anything and is all-powerful, he's a recursive 3.5 build abuse that famously provides infinite power at a certain point in the build. But the build requires him to be a fairly normal kobold for several levels. So vast cosmic power but just wants a regular supply of stew.

Only problem with that theory is the Monster seems to be rather large, which Pun Pun isn't unless he's routinely using shapeshift spell 24x7 (which he can do, but it isn't clear why)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Default ERe: Unprovable OOTS Therories

Elves are not biologically asexual, but they have no concept of gender beyond noting that some Elves have one set of parts and some Elves have another set of parts and sex involving these two kinds of Elves leads to reproduction. Other than that, all Elves are Elves, and are a bit bewildered by the obsession other races have with separating people based on what (as far as they're concerned) is basically plumbing. Their relationship styles are more or less similar to those of other races, except not every Elven pair will be able to reproduce, but adoption is common.

Some Elves pick up the idea of gender from other races and try it on for size (following their own interpretations of it; an Elf with what another race might consider female parts deciding that they quite like being a He, actually, or whatever) but not all. V is in this regard pretty much a normal Elf.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan.
    Every time I hear this theory I always think people are saying "Laurin is to her group like Elan is to the OOTS"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Every time I hear this theory I always think people are saying "Laurin is to her group like Elan is to the OOTS"
    I think the exact same thing. Confuses me every time.

Peelee’s Lotsey

24. - Top - End - #24

But imagine Elan (as in McTarquinsson) with Laurin's raw psionic power, and the ability to use it somehow. Holy crap that's scary.
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

I have one that is completely insane: Shojo awakened Mr. Scruffy, who understands common and is CN.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ... View Post
    I have one that is completely insane: Shojo awakened Mr. Scruffy, who understands common and is CN.
    O..kay? What does "awakened" mean and why does it matter whether Scruffy understands common or is Chaotic Neutral?

A theory is supposed to explain or justify something. What exactly is this explaining or justifying?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    O..kay? What does "awakened" mean and why does it matter whether Scruffy understands common or is Chaotic Neutral?
    It means that Shojo cast Awaken on Mr. Scruffy, which would make him able to speak and have an alignment matching that of the person who awakened him. I don't recall Shojo's alignment.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It means that Shojo cast Awaken on Mr. Scruffy, which would make him able to speak and have an alignment matching that of the person who awakened him. I don't recall Shojo's alignment.
    I think he's Chaotic Good, although I've seen some people saying CN.
    Show

So.. Keep the bard?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Never outright stated, but non-Lawful. Belkar pegged him as Chaotic Good, which seems fairly likely.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think he's Chaotic Good, although I've seen some people saying CN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Never outright stated, but non-Lawful. Belkar pegged him as Chaotic Good, which seems fairly likely.
    That's probably what I would assume as well, without any other information.

Peelee’s Lotsey