New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

I have a big one, but it might be disproven with prequel material I didn't have the occasion to read.

The Dark One, the divinity worshipped by Redcloak, is actually an avatar of (or actively working with) the Snarl itself.
    It's big plan is to move the gate to the astral plane, force it open, then give to the gods the exact same fate they gave him : imprisonning them in the core of a world of it's own design, forever.
    The whole point of having gates built on the rifts could be to allow displacement of said rifts to the astral plane, and therefore might be part of it's plan, turning the cast from the crayon times into it's unwitting pawns.
    This also explain why it doesn't do anything to go out of open rifts like in Azure City (the gods certainly noticed a rift that big, and it wants them to think it's still trapped), why it attacked Laurin (she intended to actively take stuff from the other side of the rift, wich would definitely have attracted the gods attention, maybe even warned them about it's final goal), and why nothing alive exists on that other world yet (it can't properly finish it before the gods are trapped inside).
    Last edited by Cazero; 2014-08-14 at 07:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    So what?

The story is told within the conceit of a D&D campaign. Our heroes are PCs. Heck, they even call themselves PCs.

It follows that they implicitly have "players", in the same way as they mplicitly have a STR stat, even if we'll never actually see it. And regardless of the author's intent, it's perfectly reasonable to read it that way if it improves my enjoyment of the strip. Which it does.
    Except that in strip 606 Belkar states explicitly that they do not represent an actual campaign. If you wish to reject stated fact and authorial intent for your enjoyment, though, feel free to continue.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-08-14 at 08:08 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    How does that prove it to Roy? Durkon said he didn't want to talk about anything after Hilgya went off crying and he found the party again, and none of that was ever referred to on-panel between Durkon and any Order member.
    That's how. Durkon shows the encounter, not his lack of discussion of it later. (You can't view something not happening.)
    Durkon doesn't talk about it.
    HPoH does talk about it.
    Ergo, HPoH is not Durkon.

[You did understand that all my theories were absurdly impossible jokes, right?]

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    Where does it warp them?
    Thank you, Mario, but our hero has found another whistle. I was referring to this definition of a happy ending for Elan.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2014-08-14 at 08:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I forgot this one earlier: "the Devil-King of Dinosaur Island" was one of Tarquin's earlier identities.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Tarquin's class is Noble (developed for 3rd party Birthright campaign world)

Nobles are trained to defend the interests of their family by both strength of arm and quickness of wit. Nobles must be at ease on both the battlefield and on the dance floor. They are familiar with most martial weaponry and armor and furthermore, have both the freedom and the finances to train in the skills of their choice. As they gain experience, nobles get more opportunities to develop their skills. Some chose to focus on combat maneuvers, others choose to develop skills that are useful in more subtle endeavors. Nobles are exceptionally flexible and each develops those skills and abilities they feel most useful in meeting their duties and obligations.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Belkar won't die. Because no one on earth would be so cruel to kill the one who Mr.Scruffy loves AGAIN.

Oh, and in the end Xykon defeat the Order, Reddy defeat Xykon after taking control over the last gate, the Dark One release the Snarl inside gods' plane killing all of them, and then the only surviving God, the only one, Banjo the Clown, rebuild the world (Happy ending for Elan).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Mr. Scruffy is carrying Shojo's soul around in some kind of non-evil soul splice. This is how Shojo influenced the delusional Belkar, and how Mr. Scruffy always knows how to do the right thing at the dramatically appropriate time. It also explains Shojo's attachment to the cat prior to his death.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Mr. Scruffy is carrying Shojo's soul around in some kind of non-evil soul splice. This is how Shojo influenced the delusional Belkar, and how Mr. Scruffy always knows how to do the right thing at the dramatically appropriate time. It also explains Shojo's attachment to the cat prior to his death.
    Shojo is a lich, and the cat is the Phylactery! Sort of

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

V knows everything about Durkon and his real alignment, because Sabine told him/her/it everything since Nale died, not to mention that Durkula helped killed him.
    Last edited by Atomburster; 2014-09-07 at 04:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Atomburster View Post
    V knows everything about Durkon and his real alignment, because Sabine told him/her/it everything since Nale died, not to mention that Durkula helped killed him.
    What? You must be talking about Zz'dtri. In any case...why would Sabine know anything about HPoH's (aside from his obvious alignment), and why would HPoH's killing of Zz'dtri grant him knowledge of anything?
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Why would Vaarsuvius lie to Belkar? And what would Sabine know about vampires?

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #72

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    What? You must be talking about Zz'dtri. In any case...why would Sabine know anything about HPoH's (aside from his obvious alignment), and why would HPoH's killing of Zz'dtri grant him knowledge of anything?
    Durkula drained Nale of Constitution/did damage to him, meaning that he died that much easier. Also, the Blood TV wasn't damaged then, so V could see how Durkon sucked Nale's blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Why would Vaarsuvius lie to Belkar? And what would Sabine know about vampires?
    Because telling Belkar would probably lead to either Durkula or Belkar dying. Meaning, they lose an epic level character which they sorely need.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Because telling Belkar would probably lead to either Durkula or Belkar dying. Meaning, they lose an epic level character which they sorely need.
    Actually, come to think of it, why wouldn't Vaarsuvius tell everyone? If they know that the High Priest of Hel is up to no good, what advantage would keeping him alive have? Or at least keeping the rest of the Order unaware? Or even Roy? Also, Belkar is hardly epic or sorely needed. Durkon has an epic ECL, but doesn't have the Order's interests at heart.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #74

Durkula drained Nale of Constitution/did damage to him, meaning that he died that much easier. Also, the Blood TV wasn't damaged then, so V could see how Durkon sucked Nale's blood.
    Small hole in your theory: that never happened.

....Neither of them are epic. The vampires ECL is above 20, but his actual Cleric level isn't.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-09-08 at 08:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Elan is played by a woman, and Haley is played by a man, and the two of them have an out-of-character romance (sort of like Jim and Annie from Darths and Droids). This explains the awkward tension between them early in the strip, and Haley's fanservicey behavior (especially before she matured more) and misogyny, and Elan's sensitivity and caring.

The only problem, of course, is the "not actually played by players" thing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Elan is played by a woman, and Haley is played by a man, and the two of them have an out-of-character romance (sort of like Jim and Annie from Darths and Droids). This explains the awkward tension between them early in the strip, and Haley's fanservicey behavior (especially before she matured more) and misogyny, and Elan's sensitivity and caring.

The only problem, of course, is the "not actually played by players" thing.
    Well if you ignore all the inconvenient details that make it not work, it works perfectly!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar dies on schedule, permanently, in a noble sacrifice to save Mr. Scruffy, or Roy, or maybe even Vaarsuvius. But it happens in the climax of the comic, so that there is never any story without Belkar.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Belkar dies on schedule, permanently, in a noble sacrifice to save Mr. Scruffy, or Roy, or maybe even Vaarsuvius. But it happens in the climax of the comic, so that there is never any story without Belkar.
    I don't see how that's "unprovable". It's entirely plausible.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    most theories are "plausible" in the sense that they aren't outright contradicted by the story or word of Rich (yet). But, as with most of these theories, there isn't any supporting evidence or foreshadowing for it either.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You might want to reread the part of the comic you're basing your theory on. Durkon never drained Nale. He hit him and Z with a staff, and then killed Z via breaking his neck. He then threatened to drain Nale before killing him, and Nale popped out with Dimension Door.

Heck, we don't even know the Blood TV was focused on them. Sabine's call to Qarr suggests it wasn't - as does the fact the main interest for the Fiends apparently lies with the Order in that sequence, and all active members of the Order were elsewhere during that. It makes sense that it would have been focused on Nale when he died because everyone was in the same area.

This part is superfluous given the basis for the theory is already shot, but.. Neither Durkon nor Belkar are epic characters, and I doubt they will be at any point. Durkon's level adjustment from being a Vampire makes him theoretically epic, but his Cleric abilities aren't. Belkar isn't any more near Epic than any of the other Order members.
    Last edited by orrion; 2014-09-08 at 11:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

GreenSorcererElf

OK. Next theory:
    Everyone the Snarl has "killed" is actually alive, along with all the gods. They just so happen to be trapped in the Snarl for all eternity, which coincidentally happens to be stuck on a plane that nulls divine magic, so they can't do anything to get out.

Interrupting the spell of Control Snarl will cause the relevant gate to blow up, and this will occur at the climax, and will result in Team Evil and the Oots being trapped in the Snarl for a final showdown while the gods remake the world.

Also, I believe Xykon will recognize V and O-Chul, and will fight them at full power immediately after doing so - To note, Xykon and co. have not interacted with V and O-Chul a single time since the Darth V arc.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    most theories are "plausible" in the sense that they aren't outright contradicted by the story or word of Rich (yet). But, as with most of these theories, there isn't any supporting evidence or foreshadowing for it either.
    Really, I think "unprovable" is a bad word to use for this thread, since most of the theories in here would be better described as "unlikely" or "WMG".

Peelee’s Lotsey

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    "Plausible" and "unprovable" aren't antonyms, and a statement can be both plausible and unprovable.

It's unprovable because I can't prove it. Nothing in the published strips can make it necessary.

As it happens, I also think it's true, which is part of why I'm amused at all the posters who try to find some way to prevent the prophecy, so they don't lose Belkar. The prophecy doesn't mean he won't be part of the strip for its entire run.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serini is Belkar's mother or grandmother. She gave her journal to Xykon and convinced Belkar to go kill him in hopes he would develop some character through the adventure. The reason his daggers are so deadly is he has trained in Serini's monster dungeon through his younger years, so he is actually a lot stronger than Roy.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Colossus in the Playground

I find myself wondering what the row of dots meant by "unprovable."

If it's what we In Nomine players call Canon Doubt and Uncertainty, then Belkar's fate doesn't quality; it could be established next strip (as "he's going to die in #962") or at any time after that.

If, on the other hand, it simply means something that isn't established yet (Doubt and Uncertainty...), most of the posts on the forum are about it. (The ones that aren't about the ethical viability of genocide or why Rich had to have the glorious Tarquin break character so badly as to act irrationally or...okay, never mind "most.")

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Personally, I've been using "unprovable" in the sense of "unlikely to be proven". I doubt we'll ever learn Tarquin's class or much about his backstory even if the rumored Linear Guild/Vector Legion prequel becomes a thing, for instance.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    2. Hilgya returns and tries to flirt with Durkon. The High Priest of Hel calls up Durkon’s memories of her, and has the same reaction as Thor and Loki. This finally proves to Roy that this isn’t Durkon.
    Oh man, this just gave me an idea. The OotS runs into Hilgya, and Durkon pseudo-reluctantly gives the High Priest of Hel the memories of their time together, causing the HPoH to react to her in ways that the rest of the party will see as out of character for Durkon, leading to the HPoH deciding that 'the jig is up' and revealing his true self!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Oh man, this just gave me an idea. The OotS runs into Hilgya, and Durkon pseudo-reluctantly gives the High Priest of Hel the memories of their time together, causing the HPoH to react to her in ways that the rest of the party will see as out of character for Durkon, leading to the HPoH deciding that 'the jig is up' and revealing his true self!
    Eh, I don't think its likely. The HPOH has not yet allowed his personal feelings to "slip through" the Durkon façade except with Belkar, who doesn't believe him anyway. IF he slips up, it wont be because he fails at pretending to be Durkon, but because his goals require him to abandon the pretense at some point.

29. - Top - End - #89

OK. Next theory:
    Everyone the Snarl has "killed" is actually alive, along with all the gods. They just so happen to be trapped in the Snarl for all eternity, which coincidentally happens to be stuck on a plane that nulls divine magic, so they can't do anything to get out.

Interrupting the spell of Control Snarl will cause the relevant gate to blow up, and this will occur at the climax, and will result in Team Evil and the Oots being trapped in the Snarl for a final showdown while the gods remake the world.

Also, I believe Xykon will recognize V and O-Chul, and will fight them at full power immediately after doing so - To note, Xykon and co. have not interacted with V and O-Chul a single time since the Darth V arc.
    The snarl theory actually a strong theory that holds many people in its sway. Or, rather, a slightly modified version, with the planet within the rifts equating to your plane.

Other than that, both of those theories are likely not unprovable, as they will in all likelihood eventually be proven correct or incorrect.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I love the Dinosaur Island hypothesis.
    Since it was at a much lower level, it's possible for Scoundrel to not only remember that adventure fondly but still consider Tarquin to be a B-lister.
    Also, it explains why Tarquin sees so much of himself in Elan. Because, come on, Nale may have had too much pride to use a name that cheezy, but it sounds exactly like something that Elan would come up with!