New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

Malack is really sexy for lizard-folk standards. That's why he has a high charisma that can effect Tarquin, Durkon and Laurin.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Right-Eye's daughter has been secretly raised, and trained, by Serini. They will appear together as the final as yet unmentioned faction vying for the Gates. Laurin's daughter will be the third member of their party.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    So what?

The story is told within the conceit of a D&D campaign. Our heroes are PCs. Heck, they even call themselves PCs.

It follows that they implicitly have "players", in the same way as they mplicitly have a STR stat, even if we'll never actually see it. And regardless of the author's intent, it's perfectly reasonable to read it that way if it improves my enjoyment of the strip. Which it does.
    Implicit or not, Rich has stated explicitly that they do not have players.
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Hannah Bidetsmith is adopted and is Redcloak's niece.

More seriously, I think Laurin could be an Elan. It would be another reason to hide stuff from Hannah, and she would use either a hat of disguise or a mundane disguise kit to look constantly older. She, like Malack, has long-term plans for the area- possibly going to attack the elves and claim the non-desert part of the continent for the humans, probably ensuring plumbing became a noble and well-paid art.
    Without reading your post properly I thought you said Laurin was actually Elan

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Malack is really sexy for lizard-folk standards. That's why he has a high charisma that can effect Tarquin, Durkon and Laurin.
    ...Or, y'know, it's because he's a vampire.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CletusMusashi View Post
    I love the Dinosaur Island hypothesis.
    Since it was at a much lower level, it's possible for Scoundrel to not only remember that adventure fondly but still consider Tarquin to be a B-lister.
    Also, it explains why Tarquin sees so much of himself in Elan. Because, come on, Nale may have had too much pride to use a name that cheezy, but it sounds exactly like something that Elan would come up with!
    For some reason I'd though that was explicitly confirmed, but a quick reread doesn't find anything. It seems very likely either way - old Julio/Tarquin rivalry, T's fondness for Dinosaurs, etc.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

What was explicitly confirmed, is that the villain who had just been defeated by Julio when he appeared in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales, referred to as "that evil villain," was Tarquin.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Sexiness has little to do with Charisma. Many sexy people can't lead, and many non-sexy people can lead very well.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Sexiness has little to do with Charisma. Many sexy people can't lead, and many non-sexy people can lead very well.
    In real world, yes.

In d&d? Elan has a 18 Charisma "under the hood"!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    In real world, yes.

physical attractiveness is certainly one part of Charisma, but you can be an unlikable troll and still be handsome.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shojo is a lich, and the cat is the Phylactery! Sort of
    I support this theory.

Mine:
    Xykon and Redcloak end up defeating the Order, and Elan dies while laughing (happy ending). Redcloak then betrays Xykon and goblins rule the world.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

In the Empire of Tears, the highest honour is now the Order of the Butt-Wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    physical attractiveness is certainly one part of Charisma, but you can be an unlikable troll and still be handsome.
    Even Trolls have Trolless that like them, haven't they?

(I invented the world trolless for female trolls, I don't know if it is right ;))

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

(I invented the world trolless for female trolls, I don't know if it is right ;))
    not if theyre unlikable they don't.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2014-09-10 at 11:11 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Hey all,

Huge fan of OOTS and this is my first post in the forums:

My unprovable theory is that the MitD was not the one who teleported Vaarsuvius and O-Chul to safety. Instead, it was actually the fiends Lee, Nero and Cedrik because they wanted Vaarsuvius to stay alive to take advantage of their deal. Since they were monitoring the situation, they would have know the location of the fleet.

... that's my theory anyway.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Colossus in the Playground

I hate to rain on your first post, but that theory is not unprovable but disproven by Word of the Author.

(Rich said that the creature in the darkness used powers he didn't know he had to save O-Chul.)

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I hate to rain on your first post, but that theory is not unprovable but disproven by Word of the Author.

(Rich said that the creature in the darkness used powers he didn't know he had to save O-Chul.)
    Huh... didn't know that. Thanks for the update :-)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chy03001 View Post
    Huh... didn't know that. Thanks for the update :-)
    I think it was hidden in the book commentary, though if I'm wrong i shall be banana'd soon enough. Easy to miss.

You could amend your theory to something along the lines of the MitD's power being Instant Transmission utilized several times (to get out of the box, get O-Chul and V to safety, and get back into the box) faster than anyone could see because the MitD has a tiny little Goku inside its head controlling it similarly to vampiric control, of course. Unprovability of said alteration not guaranteed.

But that's totally what happened, man.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think it was hidden in the book commentary, though if I'm wrong i shall be banana'd soon enough. Easy to miss.
    The MitD thread cites Don't Split the Party.

Anyway, my theory (that I don't have high expectations for): Hel is a splinter personality/aspect inside Thor's mind, and Hel's grudge against Thor is centered on him (as dominant personality) preventing her from having normal contact with worshippers of her own. We've never seen Hel in the same panel with any deity except Thor, and it's far less coincidental that the High Priest of Hel came to inhabit the body of a high-level priest of Thor.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Well, since we're doing "I have no evidence for this and it probably won't happen, but dammit, what if" theories:

Spoiler: SOD Spoilers
    Show
    I know there's like no chance it survived the destruction of Dorukan's Dungeon, and that we haven't seen him amongst the mooks anyway, but I like the idea that Right-Eye's zombie may become be seen again at a crucial moment.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Mr. Scruffy is carrying Shojo's soul around in some kind of non-evil soul splice. This is how Shojo influenced the delusional Belkar, and how Mr. Scruffy always knows how to do the right thing at the dramatically appropriate time. It also explains Shojo's attachment to the cat prior to his death.
    Ha, nice! I've seen something like that before, and it wasn't even evil.

Towards the end of the first season of YuGiOh GX, it turns out that
    Spoiler: anime-style death
    Show
    the academy's alchemy professor contracted a fatal disease long before the series started. He created a homunculus clone of himself to store his soul while his original body died. Pretty soon, the professor gets defeated in combat, his homunculus crumbles to dust, and his soul drifts out as a little sphere of light. It happens to drift near his beloved pet cat...
    ...and the cat promptly swallows the spirit. For the rest of the seasons, that spirit is available for the occasional piece of advice -- or more often, comic relief when the cat burps up the spirit and swallows it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    ..."I have no evidence for this and it probably won't happen, but dammit, what if" theories:

Spoiler: SOD Spoilers
    Show
    I know there's like no chance it survived the destruction of Dorukan's Dungeon, and that we haven't seen him amongst the mooks anyway, but I like the idea that Right-Eye's zombie may become be seen again at a crucial moment.
    To which I say:
    Spoiler: other take on SOD
    Show
    Zombie? Probably not. But how's about a ghost? And Redcloak's the only one that sees him, or at least Redcloak suspects so, but the MitD wouldn't notice anyway, and maybe Xykon's playing dumb, and oh Dark One, Right-Eye just won't stop staring and [cue Redcloak sucking his thumb]

///

As for additional theories:

-The Eastern Continent is the OOTS-world equivalent of Atlantis: nowhere to be seen, and many folks think that it never existed and that you'd be foolish to believe otherwise. Eugene spent most of his freshman year of college trying to find it.

-We already know Xykon killed five guys named Fyron in Cliffport, one of which was F. Pucebuckle, Eugene's mentor. Unfortunately, at least one of those deaths was a not-so-wacky mistaken identity during the search for F. Pucebuckle. (Xykon is really bad with names.)

And most of all:

-Mr. Scruffy started following Belkar because Mr. Scruffy deemed Belkar to be an honorary cat. The big guy runs, jumps, sniffs, hunts, plays, scratches, enjoys a fine cut of meat, and really doesn't care about much else.
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The MitD thread cites Don't Split the Party.

Anyway, my theory (that I don't have high expectations for): Hel is a splinter personality/aspect inside Thor's mind, and Hel's grudge against Thor is centered on him (as dominant personality) preventing her from having normal contact with worshippers of her own. We've never seen Hel in the same panel with any deity except Thor, and it's far less coincidental that the High Priest of Hel came to inhabit the body of a high-level priest of Thor.
    I think the recent comic would disprove this- as we learn that Hel does try to recruit clerics and has direct contact with Durkoff.
    Elementalist of the Redcloak Fan Club

Awesome avatar by Eldan.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMirtillo View Post

To which I say:
    Spoiler: other take on SOD
    Show
    Zombie? Probably not. But how's about a ghost? And Redcloak's the only one that sees him, or at least Redcloak suspects so, but the MitD wouldn't notice anyway, and maybe Xykon's playing dumb, and oh Dark One, Right-Eye just won't stop staring and [cue Redcloak sucking his thumb]

///
    Spoiler
    Show
    He wasn't talking to his reflection in the mirror. He was talking to the ghost he could see behind himself.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #114

NecromancerGuy

Should it be "trollop"?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

But Elan can't lead. Won't lead. His attempts at "inspiring" the Order are, without exception, hilariously inept.

There's no great consistency in how the Giant depicts Charisma. Elan has high Cha: we know he's goodlooking, and we can assume he has a decent singing voice, but that's about all. He has no great force of personality, he's often quite diffident, uninspiring to the point of comedy, and many people find him incredibly irritating.

Then there was Miko. She was also goodlooking, had high Cha, dominant personality, but also made everyone hate her.

Roy has a strong personality, good persuasive and manipulative skills, and moderate Cha. We have no real information on his looks. Ditto Haley.

Xykon must have astronomical Cha, but most people (with one exception) wouldn't consider him sexy. Great force of personality and manipulative skills. Not so much at persuasion and making people like him, but maybe only because he can't be bothered.

O-Chul has low Cha, but he's demonstrably both persuasive (of the MitD) and inspiring, to say nothing of all his groupies here on the forum.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    But Elan can't lead. Won't lead. His attempts at "inspiring" the Order are, without exception, hilariously inept.

There's no great consistency in how the Giant depicts Charisma. Elan has high Cha: we know he's goodlooking, and we can assume he has a decent singing voice, but that's about all. He has no great force of personality, he's often quite diffident, uninspiring to the point of comedy, and many people find him incredibly irritating.

Then there was Miko. She was also goodlooking, had high Cha, dominant personality, but also made everyone hate her.

Roy has a strong personality, good persuasive and manipulative skills, and moderate Cha. We have no real information on his looks. Ditto Haley.

Xykon must have astronomical Cha, but most people (with one exception) wouldn't consider him sexy. Great force of personality and manipulative skills. Not so much at persuasion and making people like him, but maybe only because he can't be bothered.

O-Chul has low Cha, but he's demonstrably both persuasive (of the MitD) and inspiring, to say nothing of all his groupies here on the forum.
    I think you are not taking into account other stats: Elan's low intelligence and wisdom, O-Chul's good wisdom, Roy's good intelligence and wisdom. Xykon and Miko never shew any interest in soft power, as far as I remember.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think you are not taking into account other stats: Elan's low intelligence and wisdom, O-Chul's good wisdom, Roy's good intelligence and wisdom. Xykon and Miko never shew any interest in soft power, as far as I remember.
    even an idiot can be inspiring. Theyre willing to throw themselves at a task with complete abandon simply because they aren't smart enough to know its hopeless. A character with high charisma and low wis/int will always be more inspiring than someone with low charisma and high wis/int. I cant imagine V or Durkon giving Roy the "its called morale, or sometimes hope" speech ever.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    even an idiot can be inspiring. Theyre willing to throw themselves at a task with complete abandon simply because they aren't smart enough to know its hopeless. A character with high charisma and low wis/int will always be more inspiring than someone with low charisma and high wis/int. I cant imagine V or Durkon giving Roy the "its called morale, or sometimes hope" speech ever.
    Me neither, V because he's too self-concerned to give such a speech, and Durkon because he doesn't need any hope to do his job.

At the same time, I can't see V or D giving the Azure City Speech. V wouldn't even have tried. D would likely have ended up screaming Led Zeppelin lyrics all over the place. Both would have been better than what Elan did.

What I mean is that characters don't give speeches based solely on their allocated points, but also on their intentions, and that these two values, I think, are both shown rather well in the comic.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Me neither, V because he's too self-concerned to give such a speech, and Durkon because he doesn't need any hope to do his job.

At the same time, I can't see V or D giving the Azure City Speech. V wouldn't even have tried. D would likely have ended up screaming Led Zeppelin lyrics all over the place. Both would have been better than what Elan did.

What I mean is that characters don't give speeches based solely on their allocated points, but also on their intentions, and that these two values, I think, are both shown rather well in the comic.
    Elan did quite well until he began overthinking it out loud. That's a case of his charisma doing a good job, and then his poor intelligence promptly undoing it, certainly, but theyre two separate causes and effects.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Should it be "trollop"?
    Perfect. Nobody's going to top this one. Close the thread.