New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

The last reality strip of OOTS: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0014.html

Roy fell asleep and the rest of comics so far is his crazy dream.

Which is easier to believe... that Roy got into good afterlife after happily slaughtering (only mostly evil) goblins in their sleep in their homes in #11, similar with wanting to slaughter ogres in sleep on basis of word of one person, or that Roy just imagined he got into good afterlife? Lots of hints on how V killing what thought was "always evil" black dragons was enough to be major alignment downgrade, how much more so for poor possibly innocent only mostly evil creatures not proven to have done anything wrong?

But does that mean that Miko was only just a dream? YES... Miko is symbolic of Roys immature sexuality, his love/hate relationship with his ideal woman.

He is untrusting of his teammates, crazy relationship with his father and sister, crazy visions of grandeur in thinking he could be in quest to save world, etc... Roy is in serious need of a psychiatrist!
    Last edited by multilis; 2014-12-12 at 05:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

SoD spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xykon wasn't actually joking about his fears of lichification. But he choose to do it anyway because it was the only way to escape and reclaim his magic. Coffee incident is the reality check and he finally understand the full complications of his actions.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2014-12-12 at 06:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    The last reality strip of OOTS: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0014.html

Roy fell asleep and the rest of comics so far is his crazy dream.

Which is easier to believe... that Roy got into good afterlife after happily slaughtering (only mostly evil) goblins in their sleep in their homes in #11, similar with wanting to slaughter ogres in sleep on basis of word of one person, or that Roy just imagined he got into good afterlife? Lots of hints on how V killing what thought was "always evil" black dragons was enough to be major alignment downgrade, how much more so for poor possibly innocent only mostly evil creatures not proven to have done anything wrong?

But does that mean that Miko was only just a dream? YES... Miko is symbolic of Roys immature sexuality, his love/hate relationship with his ideal woman.

He is untrusting of his teammates, crazy relationship with his father and sister, crazy visions of grandeur in thinking he could be in quest to save world, etc... Roy is in serious need of a psychiatrist!
    Unfortunately that's not so much unprovable as explicitly not the case per word of Giant.

Different dream, but the point still stands.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Unfortunately that's not so much unprovable as explicitly not the case per word of Giant.

Different dream, but the point still stands.
    Matter of what you consider proof, any theory here could be "proven" or "unproven" by a word of someone called "Giant", "Snarl", "Oracle", "Banjo" or whoever claims to be the surpreme God, DM, GM, etc. Some will even claim this story is a work of fiction rather than based on historical fact. Why not let the facts speak for themselves rather than blindly follow the word of your god?

If your god "Giant" wrote that Belkar was always an innocent lawful good alignment and was only wearing an evil tainted artifact (like Roy was when he dreamed of Miko detecting him as evil because of X's crown) would you also blindly accept that as fact?
    Last edited by multilis; 2014-12-12 at 06:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Matter of what you consider proof, any theory here could be "proven" or "unproven" by a word of someone called "Giant", "Snarl", "Oracle", "Banjo" or whoever claims to be the surpreme God, DM, GM, etc. Some will even claim this story is a work of fiction rather than based on historical fact. Why not let the facts speak for themselves rather than blindly follow the word of your god?

If your god "Giant" wrote that Belkar was always an innocent lawful good alignment and was only wearing an evil tainted artifact (like Roy was when he dreamed of Miko detecting him as evil because of X's crown) would you also blindly accept that as fact?
    I think there's a difference between the "well, it's not explicitly contradicted" unprovable that most "theories" in here follow, and "the Giant has explicitly said this is not so".

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Matter of what you consider proof, any theory here could be "proven" or "unproven" by a word of someone called "Giant", "Snarl", "Oracle", "Banjo" or whoever claims to be the surpreme God, DM, GM, etc. Some will even claim this story is a work of fiction rather than based on historical fact.
    Oh, good one. I love your hilarious unprovable (but clearly false) OOTS theory.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

SPG is the one true god

8. - Top - End - #158

AssassinGuy

The facts aren't speaking because you didn't present any. All you presented was an interpretation of events.

One that has been said to be explicitly wrong. Also dumb - what would be gained by such a dream sequence?

Argumentum ad absurdum doesn't help your cause.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    The facts aren't speaking because you didn't present any. All you presented was an interpretation of events.

One that has been said to be explicitly wrong. Also dumb - what would be gained by such a dream sequence?

Argumentum ad absurdum doesn't help your cause.
    I'm, uh, I'm pretty sure multilis' s comments are firmly tongue in cheek here.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

10. - Top - End - #160

Goblin

wink Re: Unprovable OOTS Therories

Theory: Durkon's younger brother will come to save him from the creature controlling his mind by leading a rag-tag team of teenagers who can polymorph into any animal they touch
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Theory: Durkon's younger brother will come to save him from the creature controlling his mind by leading a rag-tag team of teenagers who can polymorph into any animal they touch
    I thought this thread was for serious theories about what's already happened/been observed in the comic, not silly random future predictions.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

12. - Top - End - #162

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    You might want to look up the definition of the word "theory."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    I thought this thread was for serious theories about what's already happened/been observed in the comic, not silly random future predictions.
    I thought the word "unprovable" kind of suggested against that.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I thought the word "unprovable" kind of suggested against that.
    The level of seriousness may vary, but I think we can safely discount "Rich decides to completely steal the plot from a different work at the last minute" as a realistic scenario.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The level of seriousness may vary, but I think we can safely discount "Rich decides to completely steal the plot from a different work at the last minute" as a realistic scenario.
    Of course. It was somebody's throwaway joke. Laugh, forget it, and move on.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Xykon’s crown is not a halfling-sized piece of royal headwear but instead a key component to an elaborate anti-magic locking mechanism which seals the entrance to Kraagor’s tomb. One that Team Evil spend weeks trying to figure out how to open before realising that the answer is right under their noses...or on their heads.

Sure, “The power of physical might” is all well and good, but would it be too much to suspect that a master rogue like Serini might be inclined to put a solid padlock over the door to keep things out...or in?
    "Do you even know what you're doing?"
    "Why should I let that stop me?"
    - 8bit Theater

17. - Top - End - #167

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Uigeadaily View Post
    Xykon’s crown is not a halfling-sized piece of royal headwear but instead a key component to an elaborate anti-magic locking mechanism which seals the entrance to Kraagor’s tomb. One that Team Evil spend weeks trying to figure out how to open before realising that the answer is right under their noses...or on their heads.

Sure, “The power of physical might” is all well and good, but would it be too much to suspect that a master rogue like Serini might be inclined to put a solid padlock over the door to keep things out...or in?
    Ok.. but there's nothing that indicates Serini has any connection to the crown. The crown was Fyron's, and he was a human living in Cliffport.

Besides, if there were a small crown-shaped slot in a door I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take very long for Xykon or Redcloak to go "What the hell, we'll try the crown on my/your head."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

The giant, half-fiendish salad spinners are going to take over the world! Run for your lives!

19. - Top - End - #169

The MitD is the heavily-templated snail from SSDT.

Also, Banjo is the Eastern Pantheon compressed and reborn in the form of a small puppet.
    Quote Originally Posted by OctoberRaven View Post
    "It's a fireball. It's basically a magic hand grenade."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Durkon is discovered to be fake by his new-found amiability with trees.

Also, Durkon got the cleric shown in earlier strips pregnant
    Last edited by AbyssStalker; 2015-01-07 at 11:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssStalker View Post
    Durkon is discovered to be fake by his new-found amiability with trees.

Also, Durkon got the cleric shown in earlier strips pregnant
    I honestly think your second theory is actually quite plausible. Although I think some splatbook has rules for magical birth control, somehow I doubt they had it in a dungeon.

22. - Top - End - #172

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I have a big one, but it might be disproven with prequel material I didn't have the occasion to read.

The Dark One, the divinity worshipped by Redcloak, is actually an avatar of (or actively working with) the Snarl itself.
    It's big plan is to move the gate to the astral plane, force it open, then give to the gods the exact same fate they gave him : imprisonning them in the core of a world of it's own design, forever.
    The whole point of having gates built on the rifts could be to allow displacement of said rifts to the astral plane, and therefore might be part of it's plan, turning the cast from the crayon times into it's unwitting pawns.
    This also explain why it doesn't do anything to go out of open rifts like in Azure City (the gods certainly noticed a rift that big, and it wants them to think it's still trapped), why it attacked Laurin (she intended to actively take stuff from the other side of the rift, wich would definitely have attracted the gods attention, maybe even warned them about it's final goal), and why nothing alive exists on that other world yet (it can't properly finish it before the gods are trapped inside).
    Spoiler: SoD spoilers
    Show
    The Dark One is a legit Goblin God, elevated due to a year of killing in his name when he got betrayed. So your theory is implausible, unfortunately
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    Spoiler: SoD spoilers
    Show
    The Dark One is a legit Goblin God, elevated due to a year of killing in his name when he got betrayed. So your theory is implausible, unfortunately
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Strictly speaking, that's only what the goblins believe. Nothing written in crayon can be taken as the absolute truth.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Show
    Strictly speaking, that's only what the goblins believe. Nothing written in crayon can be taken as the absolute truth.
    Show
    Yeah, it's possible that Cazero is right and what Redcloak believes is merely what the "Dark One" wants him to believe. It's a bit of a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

The IFCC whisk Vaarsuvius away before he falls in combat, possibly heal (or empower) him and then send him back at a convenient time. To further their own plans of course, I mean V is too large of an investment to let die.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Show
    Yeah, it's possible that Cazero is right and what Redcloak believes is merely what the "Dark One" wants him to believe. It's a bit of a long shot, but stranger things have happened.
    Show
    Actually, actually, that's what Redcloak SAYS he believes. We don't know if he is a reliable narrator or not.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Show
    Actually, actually, that's what Redcloak SAYS he believes. We don't know if he is a reliable narrator or not.
    He is most definitely NOT a reliable narrator, in that he allows his biases to color his narration. However we have no reason at this time to believe that his entire expressed motivation is actually a lie. There is room for the Dark One to be deceiving him (though Jerix's experience while dead seems to lean way from that), however its unlikely that Redcloak is actually a deliberate and willing minion of the Snarl.

28. - Top - End - #178

Kobold

I have a couple simple theories with no real effect on the narrative as a whole.

The first is that, in the beginning of the comic, Roy hated Élan for another reason than his constant buffoonery: he was a bard. In DStP, he says that Eric probably would have been a bard, which would mean he'd be in Elan's role in all likelihood. So, Roy may have thought, "Why does he get to live and not him?", before he came to his senses.

Th second is that Zz'dtri yet lives. I thought about this when someone joked that the X's were fake. If you look at the aftermath when the EoS takes the crater, Z's corpse isn't in the pit, so perhaps his patron (maybe a priestess) came and revived him. I can only hope.
    Where's what's-her-name, the chick with the pigtails?
    Jirix: Tsukiko? She was here when the sewer team reported in...
    Anyone seen her since?
    Jirix: No.
    No.
    Demon Roaches: No. Nope.
    Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no.

29. - Top - End - #179

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktik Ironclaw View Post
    I have a couple simple theories with no real effect on the narrative as a whole.

The first is that, in the beginning of the comic, Roy hated Élan for another reason than his constant buffoonery: he was a bard. In DStP, he says that Eric probably would have been a bard, which would mean he'd be in Elan's role in all likelihood. So, Roy may have thought, "Why does he get to live and not him?", before he came to his senses.

Th second is that Zz'dtri yet lives. I thought about this when someone joked that the X's were fake. If you look at the aftermath when the EoS takes the crater, Z's corpse isn't in the pit, so perhaps his patron (maybe a priestess) came and revived him. I can only hope.
    I don't think Roy ever "hated" Elan, so I have a hard time buying into that theory.

Far as Z goes, he wasn't killed in the pit and so there's no reason for his corpse to be seen. I also don't see why you think the EoS would have just left the corpse lying around in the first place.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there's a fine line between "hating someone" and "leaving them to die"