New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Ways to get Wizard Spells

Barring the Archivist and Erudite methods, how would any character be able to acquire a wizard's spells? These can be as SLAs, Sus, Exs, anything, and it doesn't have to be full caster progression or anything of the sort. But, if one wanted to acquire even one 9th level Wizard spell (any level, but let's raise the bar high), how would it be done? What class, feats, race (playable preferably (let's not include RHD)), etc. would it take?

And no astral seed shenanigans with cohorts, either. Nothing leadership.
    Last edited by Kevingway; 2014-08-11 at 12:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Ways to get Wizard Spells

Magical Location granting a feat + Chaos Shuffle to get many arbitrary feats. The feats should be:

* Magical training (let's you cast some 0th levels spells (choose casting them like a wizard)).
    * Precautious Apprentice (gives you 2nd level slot that can be used only to cast one specific spell).
    * Extra Spell Slot (gives you general-purpose 2nd level spell).
    * Heighten Spell .
    * Earth Sense (prereq.).
    * Earth Spell (heightened spell treated as if it was heightened one more level than it actually was).
    * Sanctum Spell (spell treated as if it was heightened one more level than it is, when cast in your sanctum).

Heighten one of your cantrips (using 1st level slot)(and apply Sanctum Spell to it), cast it while standing on the ground in your sanctum. It counts as a 3rd level spell. Since you can cast 3rd level spells you can take Extra Spell Slot to get general-purpose 2nd level slot. Rinse and repeat until you get 9th level slot.

You will also need to increase your Int to 19. You might need to pump your caster level to 17.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The feat Night Haunt comes to mind and I know there are a couple more similar ones from Complete Arcane. They are basically the feats that some races get for free but anyone can take them. I believe there's one that mimics drow SLAs as well and maybe others.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Magical Training feat in PGtF gives you a spellbook with a few 0-level wizard spells and spell slots to prepare and cast them. Per the Rules Compendium, any character who prepares spells from a spellbook is able to add more spells to it in the exact same way that a wizard does. So you can put any wizard spells you want (and make the spellcraft check to learn) in your spellbook. Since you learn spells prior to putting them in your spellbook, they're considered spells known. "Unlike a bard or sorcerer, a wizard may know any number of spells."

The feat Versatile Spellcaster in RotD allows a spontaneous caster to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell he knows of one level higher. This would include any spells you've added to your spellbook using the above method. Make a character of any spontaneous casting class (Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necromancer, Suel Arcanamach even) and these two feats allow you to spontaneously cast from the Wizard spell list, with no limit to the number of such spells you may know.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Planar Touchstone (Planar Handbook), Catalogues of Enlightenment (Ditto). If you do the full charge ritual, it also gives you the spells for the domain as single-use (until the next time you recharge), which potentially includes the 9th level ones, and if you pick the right domain, several of those are going to be Wizard spells.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Precautious Apprentice
    I...what? How did you write this phrase and then think to yourself "this is something that makes sense"? It's Precocious. As in "indicative of early development." Which is why an apprentice can cast more powerful spells than they would normally be entitled to. Not only is precautious not a word, even if it were, it would make no sense in this context - what's caution got to do with spellcasting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I...what? How did you write this phrase and then think to yourself "this is something that makes sense"? It's Precocious. As in "indicative of early development." Which is why an apprentice can cast more powerful spells than they would normally be entitled to. Not only is precautious not a word, even if it were, it would make no sense in this context - what's caution got to do with spellcasting?
    Huh. English is not my primary language and I'm not surprised seeing a made up word in D&D handbook so I never noticed. Thanks for pointing it out :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Ways to get Wizard Spells

Ranks in UMD + Scrolls gives ANY class the ability to cast wizard spells likely earlier than a wizard can. The feat Apprentice [Spellcaster] gives any class UMD as a class skill. In my opinion, this is the only way to get wizard spells early that is not questionable.
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2014-08-10 at 01:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I...what? How did you write this phrase and then think to yourself "this is something that makes sense"?
    He's being PREcautious. You know, like, cautious ahead of time. You need to be extra precautious when you're casting a spell that's too high for your level.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2014-08-10 at 02:41 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

These are great, guys! Already have some ideas, combining many of the posts given. I'm trying my hardest to avoid casting/psionics classes while being able to cast just one simple spell (Telekinesis) without the need for the other chassis. Having said that, I'm not fond of the ghost template or the savage progression, nor would any DM that I know personally. I think, perhaps, this could be achieved using some of the methods provided here, but I'm willing to hear more!

While you may be casting spells at a set caster level, do you actually have a caster level without having levels in a casting class? I suppose feats could pick up this slack, but I don't know if simply by virtue of having spells to cast grants you a caster level automatically.
    Last edited by Kevingway; 2014-08-11 at 12:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

If you're a paladin or ranger, there's the feat Sword of the Arcane Order.

Chameleons get all the wizard spells, but only up to 6th unless you're into spending a bunch of feats on higher level slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    In my opinion, this is the only way to get wizard spells early that is not questionable.
    You mean using spontaneous divination to qualify for Ultimate Magus is questionable?
    Last edited by Mountain; 2014-08-11 at 01:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

If you are a nonwizard arcane spellcaster, the spell Arcane Disciple will put a cleric domain on your spell list. Select a domain that contains wizard spells you're interested in, and you can now cast them as arcane spells, albeit using Wisdom-based casting. Use the spontaneous casting trick of your choice to bypass the 1/spell level/day limit imposed by Arcane Disciple.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kevingway View Post
    I'm trying my hardest to avoid casting/psionics classes while being able to cast just one simple spell (Telekinesis) without the need for the other chassis.
    If that's all you want, for 75000 gold, you could get a ring of telekinesis. Enables the wearer to cast telekinesis on demand.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2014-08-11 at 01:02 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    If you're a paladin or ranger, there's the feat Sword of the Arcane Order.
    Another point for Sword of the Arcane Order.
    SotAO Mystic Ranger is pretty much my favorite class.
    Mystic Ranger 10/Chameleon 10 (If you can manage it) has incredible versatilty just from the amount of spells you can cast from so many different lists. Plus Chameleon has never been bad for archery builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you're a prepared caster, buy a spellbook and visit one of Boccob's Reading Rooms (Complete Mage).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werephilosopher View Post
    If you're a prepared caster, buy a spellbook and visit one of Boccob's Reading Rooms (Complete Mage).
    That's interesting. It says you gain knowledge of a spell of a level that you can cast. Does that mean you can take one from any spell list as long as it is of the correct level?
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Magical Location granting a feat + Chaos Shuffle to get many arbitrary feats. The feats should be:

* Magical training (let's you cast some 0th levels spells (choose casting them like a wizard)).
    * Precocious Apprentice (gives you 2nd level slot that can be used only to cast one specific spell).
    * Extra Spell Slot (gives you general-purpose 2nd level spell).
    * Heighten Spell .
    * Earth Sense (prereq.).
    * Earth Spell (heightened spell treated as if it was heightened one more level than it actually was).
    * Sanctum Spell (spell treated as if it was heightened one more level than it is, when cast in your sanctum).
    Interesting. I've never actually gone looking for the Wizard variant: I've always stuck to the casting as a sorcerer variant + Versatile Spellcaster variant.
    The more you know!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Play a wizard.

Less facetiously... StP Erudite + Psion?
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

These are great, guys! Already have some ideas, combining many of the posts given. I'm trying my hardest to avoid casting/psionics classes while being able to cast just one simple spell (Telekinesis) without the need for the other chassis.
    Two levels of the Ghost class
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    If that's all you want, for 75000 gold, you could get a ring of telekinesis. Enables the wearer to cast telekinesis on demand.
    Trying my best to avoid this one, as well. I have an odd problem where I don't feel like it's authentic to base a huge chunk of my build around a magic item. Just me, though.

Loving the ideas, guys! Except...

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Two levels of the Ghost class
    You cut out the part of my quote that specifically mentions not wanting the ghost savage progression, to post about the ghost savage progression? That takes effort. lol

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You cut out the part of my quote that specifically mentions not wanting the ghost savage progression, to post about the ghost savage progression? That takes effort. lol
    Lol, I was looking off of the snip that someone else had already quoted, and didn't read the rest. What can I say, I have talents that even I don't know I have.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

If you're trying to avoid wizard as a class, it sounds like you have a class in mind. What is this character to be, aside from "able to use TK?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't tell me you plan on playing the dreaded *gasp* Master of the Unseen Hand?!?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If you're trying to avoid wizard as a class, it sounds like you have a class in mind. What is this character to be, aside from "able to use TK?"
    Oddly enough, a DMG Expert. I'm trying to find as many ways to do powerful things without a character class as possible, or at least without a good base class.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Don't tell me you plan on playing the dreaded *gasp* Master of the Unseen Hand?!?
    I would like to. If it's a spellcasting telekinesis, definitely going with this PrC. If it's psionic, Solicit Psicrystal does the trick. I'd prefer spellcasting due to the multiple uses of telekinesis as opposed to the one use I'm focusing on, Telekinetic Maneuver. No, I don't plan on abusing TK to do massive amounts of damage... I'm more interested in the physical capabilities for lockdown purposes. Using it as a reliable tool (and yes, I'm aware of Freedom of Movement countering this).

I'm complicated.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Oddly enough, a DMG Expert. I'm trying to find as many ways to do powerful things without a character class as possible, or at least without a good base class.

I would like to. If it's a spellcasting telekinesis, definitely going with this PrC. If it's psionic, Solicit Psicrystal does the trick. I'd prefer spellcasting due to the multiple uses of telekinesis as opposed to the one use I'm focusing on, Telekinetic Maneuver. No, I don't plan on abusing TK to do massive amounts of damage... I'm more interested in the physical capabilities for lockdown purposes. Using it as a reliable tool (and yes, I'm aware of Freedom of Movement countering this).

I'm complicated.
    I warn you, one of my players was recently playing a Lockdown focused MotUS and it was the most boring character in the world.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I warn you, one of my players was recently playing a Lockdown focused MotUS and it was the most boring character in the world.
    Oh, I'm sure. I don't want it to be my focus, I just want it to be an available tool that works together with other things that I have in mind. That's part of the reason why I want to avoid casting classes, because they give me a lot more options than what I mainly want to use from all of it, which is telekinesis. I want the character to focus more on skills, without dipping into Factotum and making it overpowered without even trying.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Illithid savant 5, then eat a ghost's brain?

Sounds so sketchy it's funny

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aliek View Post
    Illithid savant 5, then eat a ghost's brain?

Sounds so sketchy it's funny
    Silly as it is, I could seriously consider that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm trying my hardest to avoid casting/psionics classes while being able to cast just one simple spell (Telekinesis) without the need for the other chassis. Having said that, I'm not fond of the ghost template or the savage progression, nor would any DM that I know personally.
    I feel like this is a specific enough goal that it might be worth talking to your DM about creating some sort of new class or prestige class that grants a progressively improving telekinetic ability (perhaps in addition to some other stuff on the side). In the spoiler below, I elaborate on a few ideas for a base class centered around telekinesis.
    Spoiler: Telekinesis-based core class
    Show
    Maybe something where the range and maximum moveable weight both increase as you gain levels, and maximum duration/day (and/or maximum duration per hour/encounter/some other time unit) are based on level and a key ability score. A quick estimate for starting points (for a base class) could be something that grants Telekinesis as the spell with caster level equal to class level (including the ability to use sustained force and violent thrust), usable for up to one round per class level per encounter (or per hour, or per ten minutes, or something else), for a maximum of {(1+key ability modifier+1 per 5 class levels)*class level} rounds per day. Violent thrust could use up a few rounds of daily duration at once, somewhere between three and five seems fair. Average BAB so combat maneuvers aren't worthless, maybe a d6 hit die, 4+int skills, and a good will save.

This is all just off the top of my head, so it's probably really unbalanced as it stands (especially at high levels), but it might be an interesting thing to try.

EDIT for a bit more on-topicness: Since Telekinesis is a fifth-level spell, there are going to be few if any ways to gain access to it without taking a spellcasting class through the appropriate level.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-08-11 at 06:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I try to stay away from homebrew as much as I can. If push comes to shove, I'm just gonna go full-out Psion and live with it--I'm realizing that a lot of the feats listed here wouldn't necessarily grant a "caster level" for the purpose of prerequisites into other feats that would lead up to telekinesis.

Was just hoping that it would be possible to circumvent being a caster to get access to this spell in a way that could scale, other than trying to pull off being a ghost. Sadness.