New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default ...And you don't even have the ritual but a friend of a friend does.

In this comic, Tarquin mentions a Gate, an abomination, and a ritual which Nale does not have, but instead it's owned by a friend of a friend.

Who is the friend and who is their friend? (Spoilers in white text)

Is the friend Sabine and her friend someone on the IFCC?

Is it Qarr, and does V somehow know bits of the ritual?

Do they and Redcloak have a mutual friend?

I mean, I know Team Xykon have at least one half of the ritual...
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: ...And you don't even have the ritual but a friend of a friend does.

You don't need to spoiler anything, you know.
    Team Evil has both halves of the ritual - the part Redcloak wrote down for Xykon (the arcane half), and the part the Crimson Mantle imparts to his mind (the divine half). Nale was probably talking about Redcloak, and Tarquin most likely did not literally mean that he thought the person Nale was referring to was actually his friend. He most likely meant it in a way similar to the way you might use it when talking about the verifiability of an Urban Legend (for instance), where "friend of a friend" means "you heard it from someone you know, but you don't know where they got it from."
    Last edited by Domino Quartz; 2014-08-11 at 04:16 AM.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: ...And you don't even have the ritual but a friend of a friend does.

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    In this comic, Tarquin mentions a Gate, an abomination, and a ritual which Nale does not have, but instead it's owned by a friend of a friend.
    821:
    "Tarquin: And you know this ritual?"
    "Nale: No. But I know who does. I've worked with them before. You won't get it from them without my help."

That's all Tarquin knows about the conection.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"friend of a friend" is a phrase used to say that the information is unreliable. By using that phrase Tarquin implies that Nale actually doesn't have access to that ritual.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's not meant to be taken literally. Team Evil is the group with the ritual.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    It's not meant to be taken literally.
    I think it is.

Team Evil is the group with the ritual.
    You can refine that. Nale has worked for Xykon ("friend") and Redcloak has the ritual and works with Xykon ("friend" of a "friend").
    Last edited by halfeye; 2014-08-11 at 08:58 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    You can even refine that. Nale has worked for Xykon ("friend") and Redcloak has the ritual and works with Xykon ("friend" of a "friend").
    For some reason I thought that Xykon had gotten his half back (which is why I said Team Evil and not Redcloak), but looking at the strip where Redcloak talks about killing Tsukiko, it looks like he never he actually gave it back.

Peelee’s Lotsey

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

For some reason I thought that Xykon had gotten his half back (which is why I said Team Evil and not Redcloak), but looking at the strip where Redcloak talks about killing Tsukiko, it looks like he never he actually gave it back.
    I think that Tsukiko only had a copy of it.

Either way Redcloak is the only one who has the complete ritual, though he only can cast one half. And for practical purposes Xykon imo should be considered to have the arcane half.

You can refine that. Nale has worked for Xykon ("friend") and Redcloak has the ritual and works with Xykon ("friend" of a "friend").
    Even calling Redcloak and Xykon "friends" is a stretch. Calling Nale and Xykon "friends" would nothing but a lie.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Obviously one of Thog's friends in the Barbarians' Guild.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that Tsukiko only had a copy of it.
    Oh, yeah, Redcloak calls it a copy. Okay, then Team Evil works.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh, yeah, Redcloak calls it a copy. Okay, then Team Evil works.
    Since the "original" only exists in RC head, thanks to the Cloak, everything else is technically a copy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Since the "original" only exists in RC head, thanks to the Cloak, everything else is technically a copy.
    That is true. However, since Redcloak says it's a copy of Xykon's half, it seems likely that he is referring to the ritual Xykon keeps with him.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Even calling Redcloak and Xykon "friends" is a stretch. Calling Nale and Xykon "friends" would nothing but a lie.
    That's why I put "friend" in quotes.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

True, but to Tarquin, being that he isn't NEARLY as intimately familiar with those relationships as we are, "a friend of a friend" is close enough to "the co-worker of your former employer" to be true. I think the "friend of a friend" was directly referring to Redcloak, not as a figure of speech.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

That is true. However, since Redcloak says it's a copy of Xykon's half, it seems likely that he is referring to the ritual Xykon keeps with him.
    What Xykon has or hasn't is largely immaterial though? He can't do jack with it anyway, nor can anyone else it would seem. When it would be relevant if he hasn't got "his copy" then RC will provide one.

X doesn't seem to be entirely trusting of RC, which show he's smarter than we give him credit for sometimes. Which kind leads to the question, is there a Team Evil as such. The only one actually with the ritual is RC.

16. - Top - End - #16

Why are we arguing about the semantics of "copy"?

If it was a copy of the copy, then Xykon still has it.

If it was the only copy, then Xykon would simply ask for it back from Redcloak, or go into Tsukiko's room to get it, or whatever.

Why does it matter? There's no logical reason for Xkyon not to make sure he still has his half of the ritual after Tsukiko's death. It doesn't benefit Red Cloak at all to keep it from him, since he still wants him to cast his half.

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh, thanks! I totally forgot about Nale working for Xykon at the start.

EDIT: I spoilered stuff in case anyone still reading through Miko being a prat or Samantha's bandit camp or something stumbled onto the thread. i didn't want to say too much about where the ritual could be.
    Last edited by Socksy; 2014-08-11 at 01:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    What Xykon has or hasn't is largely immaterial though? He can't do jack with it anyway, nor can anyone else it would seem. When it would be relevant if he hasn't got "his copy" then RC will provide one.

X doesn't seem to be entirely trusting of RC, which show he's smarter than we give him credit for sometimes. Which kind leads to the question, is there a Team Evil as such. The only one actually with the ritual is RC.
    I think you explained your point a little better here. I would still say that Team Evil has the ritual, as Xykon is the only one of them who can actually cast the arcane half at this point, and he appears to posses a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    EDIT: I spoilered stuff in case anyone still reading through Miko being a prat or Samantha's bandit camp or something stumbled onto the thread. i didn't want to say too much about where the ritual could be.
    Anyone on a forum dedicated to discussing a work should come in expecting spoilers of said work. If they don't want to be spoilered then they should finish the comic first. The only instance where I would put in spoilers is for book-only content.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I think you explained your point a little better here. I would still say that Team Evil has the ritual, as Xykon is the only one of them who can actually cast the arcane half at this point, and he appears to posses a copy.
    Is team evil an entity though?

Redcloak has all of the ritual, even though he can only cast half of it himself.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2014-08-11 at 02:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is team evil an entity though?

Redcloak has all of the ritual, even though he can only cast half of it himself.
    Team Evil is a group of people with the shared goal of getting access to a Gate. Although the members of the team have different ideas of what they want to do with the Gate. I say that they have the ritual because only together can they cast the ritual.

Peelee’s Lotsey

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Tarquin was just showing Nale the flaws in his plan. "Friend of a friend" is a very common American idiom and should not be taken literally any more than someone asking, "What's up?"
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Team Evil is a group of people with the shared goal of getting access to a Gate. Although the members of the team have different ideas of what they want to do with the Gate. I say that they have the ritual because only together can they cast the ritual.
    That's not strictly accurate. Xykon cannot cast the ritual without Redcloak. But Redcloak could cast the ritual with any mid-level arcane spellcaster, if he got past his emotional investment in Xykon and the equally daunting problem of how to tell Xykon "You're fired" and survive the experience.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

the weird thing is though, is that since we were never shown Xykon and Redcloak hiring the Linear Guild, we will probably never know how the two interacted with each other, when they clearly did. The questions, the burning questions I have about a hypothetical conversation between Nale and Redcloak, or Nale and Xykon....will never happen because the narrative is woven exactly so that Team Evil and Linear Guild never meet again, now that I think about it, much of the comic is based around certain teams of people who have no idea about things that some other team has a good idea about, that they can't find out due to the vast distances and lack of long range communication involved.

which is real frustrating sometimes.

Edit: yeah, Redcloak could've used Nale as the guy to help him cast the ritual. still has sorcerer class, and since he is a young incompetent villain rather than an old competent one like Xykon, it would be much easier for Redcloak to kill off Nale once the ritual is done.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2014-08-12 at 01:55 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

That's not strictly accurate. Xykon cannot cast the ritual without Redcloak. But Redcloak could cast the ritual with any mid-level arcane spellcaster, if he got past his emotional investment in Xykon and the equally daunting problem of how to tell Xykon "You're fired" and survive the experience.
    I thought you needed to be close to epic, basically level 17 or higher?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Many people somehow got that idea, even though it's never stated anywhere and Redcloak was planning to cast his half of the ritual at Lirian's Gate before he was high enough level to have sixth-level spells.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

How's that work with Redcloak assaulting 3 gates before he was level 17?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Redcloak theorized that creating a Gate (to replace the Lirian's Recently-Demolished-Gate) would require two epic casters, along with years/decades of research.

He said earlier that the ritual required a high-level arcane caster...but "high-level" isn't necessarily "close to epic", I think 15+ would be considered "high-level". Redcloak wasn't even level 11 at the time he and Xykon made the attempt on Lirian's gate, so I have to believe the requirements for the divine caster are different.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

hmm... i wonder what happened to Tsukiko?

I mean, I know she's dead, but might one of the Directors have gotten hold of her soul?

She could have memorized half the spell, and seems to have deduced at least some stuff about the other half. and they'd be friends of a friend, as they're his girlfriend's bosses.

I recon it was just a turn of phrase tho... 'you don't have the ritual, but, like, totally know someone who does'.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes, that is true. Technically Redcloak doesn't need Xykon, but I find him actually getting rid of Xykon before the plan is completed to be an unlikely prospect, due to the reasons you mentioned, to the point where I didn't really think it necessary to include.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, that is true. Technically Redcloak doesn't need Xykon, but I find him actually getting rid of Xykon before the plan is completed to be an unlikely prospect, due to the reasons you mentioned, to the point where I didn't really think it necessary to include.
    I wouldn't call it unlikely. Now that Operation Fauxlactery is in place, Redcloak is in prime position to dispose of Xykon if his current physical form gets destroyed for any reason. Heck, I think Redcloak will need to dispose of Xykon if that happens, unless he really wants to count on Xykon being forgiving about the deception involving the phylactery and its high-quality-impersonator. I'm not putting any bets on Redcloak completing the ritual if Xykon kills (and probably reanimates) him.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas