New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How high can we get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazysaneman View Post
    It seems you cannot read. I clearly stated that there was a -2 for large weapon, -2 for one handed, -2 for twf. Monkey Grip removes the -2 for wielding a two handed weapon one handed, making a large 2 handed weapon in one hand a -2 instead of a -4. For this toon it would be -6 because of twf.
    Really now? Because looking at Monkey Grip

For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon.
    This mean that you can use a Large One handed weapon one handed.

And from Monkey Grip's "Normal" section

You can use a melee weapon one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, and the amount of effort it takes to use the weapon increases. A larger light weapon is considered a one-handed weapon, a larger one-handed weapon is considered a two-handed weapon, and you cannot use a larger two-handed weapon at all.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    you cannot use a larger two-handed weapon at all.
    From a sourcebook outside of the PHB. We are using PHB only.
    From the PHB:
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.
    The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Read the second part of that

Quote Originally Posted by Inappropriately Sized Weapons
    A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.
    The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
    So, for a medium creature, a Large Longsword is a two handed weapon, and you cannot wield a large greataxe.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

So, for a medium creature, a Large Longsword is a two handed weapon, and you cannot wield a large greataxe.
    Though I'm now wondering what happens if you have more than 2 hands...

Yes, that was a joke. Yes, it is obvious from the rules. Shh.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2014-08-12 at 03:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Touche. I misread it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

*scrubbed

fixed calculations again. Two Dwarven Waraxes clearly win. Should be correct now
    Last edited by Feint's End; 2014-08-13 at 05:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feint's End View Post
    *scrubbed

only now read the second part appropriately. Then two handing a large lance clearly wins.

fixed my calculation on the second page. I think I remembered all modifiers.
    Oh, I'm not objecting to the lance, I was objecting to the people saying that you could go up to a Colossal greataxe by taking like -8 to hit.

Also, even if you could, Scythe would still beat that. And the Lance manages to beat that, with one problem.

Is there a Huge size mount that can be afforded at level one?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground

Is there a Huge size mount that can be afforded at level one?
    Why do you need a Huge mount? Medium rider = Large mount, just get a horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why do you need a Huge mount? Medium rider = Large mount, just get a horse.
    To allow the addition of Enlarge Person. Which is always a fantastic buff up.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    They stack the same way any other sources of multiple damage stack...? If you detonate two fireballs next to someone, they take the damage from both fireballs.
    I agree about the fireballs - there is a specific example of it under combining spell effects of two instantaneous spells. Explosive Runes doesn't qualify because its duration is not instantaneous.
    The explosion may be, but the spell description doesn't say that it is.

I can see that argument, but I can also see the argument of "same effect more than once of different strengths". with that many explosive runes going off it would pretty much guarantee max damage of a single explosive runes spell, rather than average damage from a bajillion spells.

Unless there is a clarification somewhere that I don't know about...

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Do you really need better once damage can be expressed in scientific notation?
    My kobold commoner can do 1 x 10^0 damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Allanimal View Post
    I agree about the fireballs - there is a specific example of it under combining spell effects of two instantaneous spells. Explosive Runes doesn't qualify because its duration is not instantaneous.
    The explosion may be, but the spell description doesn't say that it is.

I can see that argument, but I can also see the argument of "same effect more than once of different strengths". with that many explosive runes going off it would pretty much guarantee max damage of a single explosive runes spell, rather than average damage from a bajillion spells.

Unless there is a clarification somewhere that I don't know about...
    And what happens if someone reads an explosive runes spell, then reads another one in the next round? Since the same effect happened more than once at different strengths, does the second one suppress the damage of the first one? I don't think it would. The spell is discharged once it goes off, and no longer in effect. Damage is damage.

Out of curiosity, how would you rule someone firing a pair of Lingering Spell Fireballs at someone, then? The duration is no longer instantaneous, as the spell stays in effect for an entire round and can even be dispelled. Surely, that means that someone would be able to stand in one and tank the other one without caring, because it's the same effect, and can only be applied once, right?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

And what happens if someone reads an explosive runes spell, then reads another one in the next round? Since the same effect happened more than once at different strengths, does the second one suppress the damage of the first one? I don't think it would. The spell is discharged once it goes off, and no longer in effect. Damage is damage.
    No, both would apply, as the effects are not simultaneous. The combined spell effects rules do not apply. Once the first one goes off, that explosive runes spell is discharged and there is no longer an ongoing spell effect to combine with the second one. There is no overlap.

Out of curiosity, how would you rule someone firing a pair of Lingering Spell Fireballs at someone, then? The duration is no longer instantaneous, as the spell stays in effect for an entire round and can even be dispelled. Surely, that means that someone would be able to stand in one and tank the other one without caring, because it's the same effect, and can only be applied once, right?
    Lingering Spell from Champions of Ruin? I don't have that book so can't look up the exact wording, but if what I googled is accurate, I don't see that the Metamagic changes the duration of the spell. The combining rules for instantaneous spells still apply. The lingering extra damage can be dispelled, explicitly stated in the feat description, but it is still an instantaneous duration spell. Another case of the writers not knowing the rules well or not considering the possibilities...

I maintain that it is a grey area - the rules don't exactly cover what happens in the multiple simultaneous explosive runes situation and requires a DM call.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

To allow the addition of Enlarge Person. Which is always a fantastic buff up.
    Fair point. Enlarge Person does indeed only work on humanoid creatures. No idea why I thought otherwise.

Need to fix the calculations of the previous page. Scythe deals more damage than a mounted charger (112 to 104) but Dwarven Waraxes win overall. (147 to 112 to 104)
    Last edited by Feint's End; 2014-08-13 at 05:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Someone else proposed dropping objects for 20d6, however someone else mentioned how the character isn't really relevant in it. I believe dropping stuff still is best, but weight matters.

level 1 Half-orc barbarian
    Str: 20
    Rest: Doesn't matter

Party: Wizard, casts Enlarge Person.

Barbarian rages, total strength is 26, and is large sized, that is a 920 pound heavy load * 2 from being large, or 1840, however, he can push a rock off a ledge onto someone, meaning push/drag (*5, so 9200 pounds) is his maximum. Falling objects do 1d6/200 lb of weight + damage from falling distance. If the 9200 lb rock is pushed off a 400 ft cliff (for 20d6 from falling, and 46d6 from weight), it would hit for 66d6 damage. 66*6 (weighted dice) is 396 damage when it strikes the unfortunate victim.

Then again, if this orc has Quick Draw, and 1840 daggers (each of which weighs 1 lb), dropping them all in 1 round from 1400 ft up would deal 20d6/dagger, or 36800d6, so a maximum of 220800 damage to whoever stands beneath my dagger dropping half orc.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-08-15 at 03:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so, with those 3 buffs

Str 26 (+8)
    Scythe now deals 2d6
    8d6 = 48 + (48 Str) + 8 (PA) + 4(IC) + 4 (MW) = 112

We officially have enough to hypothetically instagib a 20th level 12 Con Wizard who isn't doing anything to fight back.

EDIT: Flicker, I'm assuming max damage
    Fixed that for you.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2014-08-15 at 03:49 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Of course it is hypothetical. Otherwise I would have said that we instagibbed his Astral Projection. And I would have said "Sorcerer who dumped Int".

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

18. - Top - End - #78
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If we want to bring the entire party into it, then we can grab three more elves, each of whom would take all the profits gotten from the Elf Cleric and run them through the Craft Skill to triple their value. Make sure they're crafting commodities so they can sell at full gold price.
    There are commodities you can craft?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide