New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mithar Keep & Frescot House IV: Magic babble lies within

[Outside The Gate]

Cora reaches out and touches the sword with a look of awe. "I never saw a real sword before." She says.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris on a Stick View Post
    [Break In!]

Light would be useful, if Grace had any need for proper sight. She moves to examine the two large chests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Frescot House]

Sakura walks with Adir, clinging to him and crying into his arm. They're both going to go out there after this? "What if they're still out there? It could be dangerous." The only thing that could make this worse would be Cessie or Adir getting hurt.
    [Break In!]

The two large chests have been bound in iron and looks pretty sturdy, they, are of course, locked. Everything in this place appear to be. They aren't magically protected though so there is nothing preventing the intruder from simply blasting them as well.

[Frescot House]

"There are a number of guardians and protective shields ready to be activated. But in case of an actual attack, there is a way for everyone to get out of here very quickly." Cessie held no illusions of withstanding a full-scale attack after what happened to VIGIL. "But if you are really going there, I, or Garn, should follow. The other will remain here to protect Sakura, and the kids."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2016-05-30 at 03:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

The leather of the sheathe is well made to accomodate the sword within. There's no special designs added to it - it's simply a utilitarian thing, meant to hold the sword inside, "You'll eventually get your own real sword, and learn some good swordfighting techniques. You seem to have the interest for them already, and that's half of learning how to use them."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Break In!]

The two large chests have been bound in iron and looks pretty sturdy, they, are of course, locked. Everything in this place appear to be. They aren't magically protected though so there is nothing preventing the intruder from simply blasting them as well.

[Frescot House]

"There are a number of guardians and protective shields ready to be activated. But in case of an actual attack, there is a way for everyone to get out of here very quickly." Cessie held no illusions of withstanding a full-scale attack after what happened to VIGIL. "But if you are really going there, I, or Garn, should follow. The other will remain here to protect Sakura, and the kids."
    [Break In!]

Damn Mithar and her entirely reasonable security precautions? How is a demonic metal thief meant to make a daring heist around here? Unfair, I say! Most unfair!

Oh yeah, magic's a thing. Blasting isn't really something you want to do to a chest, if KotOR II and Dark Souls 2 have taught me anything. No sense risking that whatever is inside might be turned into unusable rubbish. Grace holds up a hand, creating a thin blade of fire, which she slips into the space under the lid of the chest, intending to cut through whatever latch is keeping it shut. Once done, she'll attempt to dramatically flip the chest open, as that is the only proper way a chest can be opened.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frescot House]

"Adir, you can't go out there alone. What if something happens?" Sakura insists. She'd rather neither of them went, but she's not going to be able to stop them...

[Outside The Gate]

"I can have a sword?" Cora fixates on that. She wants a real sword so badly! She doesn't look away from the sword for a second.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

"Not right now," the half-dragon says, "But here's a deal for you; when you can convince me you know what wielding a weapon means, I'll make sure you get one, alright? A real one." Give her a goal to work towards, get her started early on what it means to wield a blade. It'll make her think about it.

She really doubts Cora will understand the complexity of this right now, not at her current age. But that's sort of the point.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

Cora deflates a bit and leans back away from the gate. "Okay..." Well it's the best answer about anything sword related she's got from anyone.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Halfling in the Playground

[Frescot House]

"You stay then. I'll go with Garn," Adir says, hoping that satisfies both women. "Get blockhead down here. I'll be back in under a minute."

The stag keeps his promise. He's dressed in tight camo pants and an armless vest before sixty seconds are up. His bow is slung over his shoulder, along with a small quiver of black arrows. A small green cap has been mashed down on his head, his still sleep-tossed hair.

He looks between them, expecting skittish looks and pleas for him not to go.

"I'm just gonna have a look around. Once I'm sure it's safe... we can all come back through. If you're okay, Sakura,"
    He goes on, but winces a little even as he speaks. "We gotta see if there's anything left."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #819

[Frescot House]

"I'll be there once the area is secure." Cessie promises, before turning to Sakura as Adir leaves. She has no protests if Garn is coming with him. "We should check on the children, just to be sure." Hopefully the fire hadn't been a diversion for something even worse.

---------------------

As Adir and Garn reaches the burning building, the flames are taking unusual shapes. For a brief moment it appears as if a giant hulking creature is standing in the middle of the building before it shifts into flames once again. Garn seems even more at edge than usual, not taking a single step without scanning the surrounding area.

[Break In!]

The lock is melted and the chest can be opened without delay. Inside the intruder can find what they're looking for, wrapped in blankets are large breast-shaped bars of adamantine stacked upon one another as well as possible considering their shape.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2016-06-01 at 04:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

[Break In]

The intruder attempts to pull out of the of the bars, hefting it to see if it's genuine. If it's presumably satisfactory, she'll shut the chest and lift it up with magic. Only one of them should serve her purpose at the moment. Time for the daring escape! The daring escape that involves just walking back down the tunnel she came in through.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frescot House]

"Just be careful, okay?" Sakura gives Adir a tight hug before moving to stand next to Cessie. "Yeah, let's check on the kids." The dryad seems to compose herself a bit after that thought. She doen't want to panic the kids.

12. - Top - End - #822

[Break In]

After confirming that the adamantine is genuine, the intruder can leave the same way they came. But as they climb up the ladder and open the door, the will find an angry-looking gargoyle with a broom outside. The stone guardian doesn't hesitate and swings the broom right at the intruders head!

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

[Break-in!]

Oh no! The broom! Truly, the deadliest of weapons.

The broom collides with Grace's 'head' with a satisfying thwacking sound. Unfortunately, besides the cathartic sound, there seems to be little (if any) other effect. Unless irritating Grace sounds.

"Out of my way." She says imperiously.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Frescot House]

"I'll be there once the area is secure." Cessie promises, before turning to Sakura as Adir leaves. She has no protests if Garn is coming with him. "We should check on the children, just to be sure." Hopefully the fire hadn't been a diversion for something even worse.

---------------------

As Adir and Garn reaches the burning building, the flames are taking unusual shapes. For a brief moment it appears as if a giant hulking creature is standing in the middle of the building before it shifts into flames once again. Garn seems even more at edge than usual, not taking a single step without scanning the surrounding area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Frescot House]

"Just be careful, okay?" Sakura gives Adir a tight hug before moving to stand next to Cessie. "Yeah, let's check on the kids." The dryad seems to compose herself a bit after that thought. She doen't want to panic the kids.
    [Frescot House]

"M'never not," Adir lies, squeezing Sakura back and drifting toward the door. He smiles at the mention of the children. They'd keep Sakura from getting too upset one way or the other.

It isn't long before Adir and Garn are standing before the smoldering ruin. "Still burning," he says softly. The stag sets his jaw and moves forward into the ruin, as far as he dares before the remaining flames get too hot. Provided there's only imagined demons in those flames, the stag will back out not too long after, and he directs Garn to accompany him as they sweep the area. The stag just supposes the shock hasn't set in yet... or that he's suppressing it through sheer force of will.

The stag fans out for miles in a broadening perimeter patrol, loping at a pace beyond mortal men for the span of at least an hour. Hopefully Garn and his wings can keep up. He only quits once he's checked and double-checked. They're lucky the demons didn't start a forest fire, let alone stick around.

If there is something lurking, well... Adir has numerous silver bullets and an evil-looking little silver knife for just that occasion.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2016-06-03 at 01:13 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #825

[Frescot House]

Garn isn't an especially fast flier, but he tries to keep up the best he can. He had been ordered to protect Adir after all. Adir can see a hoof tracks which just appear out of nowhere just in front of the house. Some large creatures must have moved around there before they suddenly disappeared as quickly and sudden as they appeared. But the fire seems to be moving once again and a faint whisper can be heard amidst the flames. This happened since you didn't listen. Actions has repercussions and so will your next one... It seems like only Adir have heard, so at least those deer ears aren't just for show.

[Break-in!]

Does the mountain move when she speaks? No?
    Neither will Garn. The gargoyle just moves closer, attempting to cut off Grace's escape path with his sheer size. He does seem rather robust as well so knocking him away might not be the best tactic.

[Outside The Gate]

Finally Garn returns, Cessie at his tail. The sorceress doesn't even look at her guest, instead she turns all her attention towards her daughter. "Cora, what I told you about talking to strangers?" She scolds, putting extra empathize on the last word in her sentence. That's cold.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

"You'd best listen to your mother. She and I have some talking to do anyways." She doesn't look enthused by that prospect, but resigned to it regardless. she places her still-sheathed sword back onto her waist and then waits for Cessie to start the conversation.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

Cora whirls around with a panicked look. Oops, she stayed too long and mommy came. "Sorry mommy." She mumbles and tries to scurry off, back inside to find Laela to natter at.

18. - Top - End - #828

[Outside The Gate]

"Remember it this time, Cora." Cessie reminds the girl as she skips away.
    "So what did you two discuss?" She then asks her guest, keeping her expression and tone neutral. Garn isn't hiding his suspicion now though, who was this woman?

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

"Swordfighting, mostly. She's quite enamored with the concept, isn't she?" the half-dragon woman says with a sad smile, "Don't worry, I didn't take my sword out of the sheathe. Cora won't come to any harm from me."

20. - Top - End - #830

[Outside The Gate]

Cessie nods. "She must have inherited that from you. Then again, my own family has its own share of sword fighters." She pauses and crosses her arms over her chest. "But I'm pretty sure you didn't come here since you cared about our children. It seems like you've decided to keep them in the dark regarding your life choices."

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside the Gate]

"Better for them to find out when they're older, when they can understand it," she sighs, "I didn't come to justify myself. I came to apologize. You didn't deserve the distance I pushed on you, and it took years to get my head back on straight."

22. - Top - End - #832

[Outside the Gate]

The sorceress looks at her, but says nothing this time. I guess she should go on?

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside the Gate]

"Cessie, are you familiar with the term 'Transgender'?" Harnel asks

24. - Top - End - #834

[Outside the Gate]

"I know what 'gender' means, and considering what you look like right now, I think I can figure out the rest." She replies. "We've already talked about this. I've known for quite some time."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2016-06-05 at 06:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

"I didn't enjoy being a man, and didn't know how to deal with it. That turned into depression and wanting to keep my distance. Eventually, it got to the point where you divorced me. I've taken the time since to... restructure myself. Take a look inside and change myself into what I want to be, rather than what I was." She breathes out, tail moving back and forth in a motion Cessie will recognize as agitation, "I don't expect you to forgive me. I just came to tell you that I'm sorry, and to drop off a few gifts for the kids."

26. - Top - End - #836

[Outside the Gate]

"More gifts? Very well. You can give them to Garn." She gestures at the gargoyle, keeping her reply to a minimum. She doesn't seem to want to say much more than that.
    Harnel can probably tell that she's holding back, her whole body seems tense.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside the Gate]

The duffel bag will be handed to Garn with little fanfare. Inside is... clothing, mostly. A pair of outfits for every child, sized appropriate to them, all of them modern. There's also a book labelled as "A Children's Introduction to Sorcerous Power" and a disc with buttons on the side that, if interacted with, will produce a holographic chess set that can be interacted with just with a person's hands.

"Say what you want to say, Cessie. I didn't come here expecting you'd be silent."

28. - Top - End - #838

[Outside the Gate]

Garn accepts the gifts without a word, he just stares back at Harnel. He seems to be able to tell that his master is upset as well, looking a bit nervous. He had never been in this sort of situation before.
    Cessie shakes her head. "I don't think either of us want that, Harnel, or whatever I'm supposed to call you now. Too many hurtful things were already said during the divorce. So what did you even expect us to talk about? What is there to talk over without both of us getting upset?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2016-06-05 at 06:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside The Gate]

"I..." she takes a deep breath, "You're right of course. you always were the more intelligent one between the two of us. In that case, I'll just get out of your hair," and the half-dragon simply goes to walk away, not waiting for a goodbye she's unlikely to receive.

30. - Top - End - #840

[Outside The Gate]

The sorceress frowns. "Wait, Harnel, let us at least say goodbye properly." She walks up to the other woman and puts her hand on her shoulder. If she turns she will offer her a hand to shake. "I'm sure the kids will like the gifts. I'm not even sure who to tell they're from anymore, however."