The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Tearing of the Weave OOC

Shoot, forgot skirmish damage
    (1d6)[6]
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Wading through the water is difficult and costs 4 squares of movement per 5 ft.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    ... You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles) ...
    So, it's no charge, no skirmish for savin, no step, etc. Can move 5 feet and attack. Would still be a hit.

Anyway, if Savin stays and fights, that's enough for Anthony to decide what to do.

3. - Top - End - #273

Changes his to hit from 21 to 19 but sets his AC back to 17, doesn't affect the damage except for not getting the skirmish, unless he can't reach him.
    Savin will stay and fight.

On a side note, anyone else get the impression that this bugbear might be under faerie influence?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoof crit?: (1d20+6)[10] for (1d6+4)[5]

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

If more critters show up, next round I'll use a normal Inspire Courage*. Better saves and attack rolls would be nice. I'm saying it now because I'll probably be in Vermont at the time.

* unless they're undead, in which case Turn

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    On a side note, anyone else get the impression that this bugbear might be under faerie influence?
    To quote my rather more laconic father, "'Spect so."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2015-07-10 at 08:33 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

How far away are the Nixies?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    How far away are the Nixies?
    Let's say 30ft. Charm person is a short range spell.
    Life got busy for a while there. Currently catching up on all games.

DM: AgeOfWorms|SavageTide|TearingOfTheWeave|Northlands Saga|Zeitgeist

Player: SavageTide Tyndall Jarispur|AgeOfWorms Elkist Talphrin|StrangeAeons Hazel Holt|RotR Iris of Shelyn

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm back. I was back two days ago, but as soon as I tried updating Firefox, the program died ... and I don't have IE on this machine, so I had to get the installer from work before I could use a web browser at home. Oy.

My turn, I assume? I don't have anything that needs saying in IC. Ghostfoot, please include in your next narration that William puts away his morningstar to prep a sling and bullet. That's two move actions, so it's my whole turn.

I have terrible Dex, but anybody can roll a 20 on an attack ...

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I'm back. I was back two days ago, but as soon as I tried updating Firefox, the program died ... and I don't have IE on this machine, so I had to get the installer from work before I could use a web browser at home. Oy.

My turn, I assume? I don't have anything that needs saying in IC. Ghostfoot, please include in your next narration that William puts away his morningstar to prep a sling and bullet. That's two move actions, so it's my whole turn.

I have terrible Dex, but anybody can roll a 20 on an attack ...
    Welcome back Dimers. I've been aloof too - a quick business trip combined with the usual sick family & busy at work. Things are looking better for me now, so I'll take a look when I get home tonight hopefully.

Player: SavageTide Tyndall Jarispur|AgeOfWorms Elkist Talphrin|StrangeAeons Hazel Holt|RotR Iris of Shelyn

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Listen check to hear the voices from the shore: (1d20+1)[2]

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Checks
    Listen (1d20+6)[22]
    K: Nature (1d20+2)[3]
    Spot (1d20+7)[18]

12. - Top - End - #282

GF, is Savin still Charmed, too?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    GF, is Savin still Charmed, too?
    Yes he is.

Although I am tiring of this fey encounter so please don't feel the urge to be too troublesome with his actions. I'm going to move us swiftly on IC.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

There are stories about accepting food and drink in the fey realms. We are still on our plane, so I'm not sure if that is an issue.

Rolls, if needed
    K: Nature (1d20+2)[20]
    Wis check (1d20+2)[18]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies for lack of posts lately; real life has been insanely busy. I'll try to have something up in the IC thread today.

Likewise, I'm somewhat hesitant to accept food or drink from fey, especially as we've just rescued two people from them:
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+5)[22]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[5]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Would've posted sooner myself, but my back decided to take a holiday for a while. I couldn't use a computer for about two days.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Is my K:Nature check going to produce any safe/unsafe results?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Is my K:Nature check going to produce any safe/unsafe results?
    Kilus, Temiryl & William all know a little of the nature of satyrs. They are wild, chaotic fey prone to acts of irrational and extreme debauchery & hedonism. They have been known to cause enchantments to fall upon those who listen to the music of their pipes (although you are certain that this is not occurring at present).

The food itself seems to be free of any obvious mundane tampering as far as you can see. You are vaguely aware of tales and rumours that accepting any sort of food or gift from fey can have momentous implications - that the fey might interpret this as a bargain or a deal rather than a gift and therefore demand reciprosity or recompense (and that this expectation might be completely unbalanced or incomprehensible for a non-fey).

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

According to my character sheet, Kilus started at 1000xp, and is 25 short of 3rd level. Should I have started at 1122xp?

Further gestalting is OK by me as long as we don't have to figure out detailed RP justifications. My gestalt is just Human Paragon so far...

20. - Top - End - #290

Also, how does everyone in this game feel about extending the gestalting from "only at level 1" to "every five levels, ie 1, 6, 11, 16, etc"? The idea is to add a bit of flexibility to the play-by-post game where a bad progression choice or a class with a few dud levels can take a painfully long time to resolve itself IRL due to how long pbp takes to play out. I assume you will be keen but let me know if any reservations.
    I'm ok with this. I think the only real effect is that it will allow Horizon Walker to come in a level early. A second level of scout nets me a few more skills, barbarian a few HP... maybe I'll have to look into a PrC that gives some cool 1st level abilities?

I just looked at my notes again and realized that 6th is the first level I take HW, not 7th. Again, scout nets me more skills and battle fortitude, barbarian gains better HP, but Crusader gets me more HP and another stance...
    Last edited by razorback; 2015-07-31 at 08:26 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    ...every five levels, ie 1, 6, 11, 16...
    Zero, ZERO objections. You can quote me on that.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Cool, sounds like the extra gestalt is a go.

According to my character sheet, Kilus started at 1000xp, and is 25 short of 3rd level. Should I have started at 1122xp?

Further gestalting is OK by me as long as we don't have to figure out detailed RP justifications. My gestalt is just Human Paragon so far...
    1) Yep. I probably didn't tell you at the time, but the intention was to start on the same xp as the others.

2) No, I'm not expecting any wacky shoe-horn RP. I'm sure you'll come up with an idea that works and feels compatible when we get to 6, and if not there's always //fighter

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

I like the extended gestalt idea!

Sorry been a bit absent. Going through a busy patch at work. Kragg will eat and drink constantly then pass out until I get a time to catch up.

- Also 3rd level! Exciting.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Warlock is always good for a gestalt level. Extra Invocations are always nice. +6 to social skills, always-on darkvision and see-invisibility, etc....

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

How happy is everyone with how we handled the last few encounters? I gained access to 3 castings of 1 level 2 spell per day. Right now it's Soften Earth & Stone. At this level, it hits 3 10' squares and turns wet ground (we've got that here) into mud. Anyone who fails a reflex save is stuck for 1d2 rounds; while stuck they can't move, attack, or cast. Those who pass their save can only move half speed.

It covers a smaller area than Entangle, but is more powerful. I can either keep Entangle (and have lots of crowd control and no damage), or I can pick up something else instead (maybe Shillelagh or Animate Wood).

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Cool let's proceed on the basis of extra gestalting then (at 1, 6, 11, etc).

I should also say that now (L3) and next level up (L4) would be good times to plead for any rebuilding or adjustments that you might want to make to your initial character builds. After that it gets a bit harder to work in, both mechanically and story-wise. So if you're not happy, now's your chance.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the additional gestalt, to be totally honest it doesn't impact my plans to get into Swiftblade much, but Uncanny Dodge, Battle Fortitude, and some extra skill and hit points are not to be sneezed at.

Level 3 presents me with an interesting choice in Advanced Learning. The most attractive choice is Power Word Pain, but I know that some DM's don't like it, because it can be an effective death sentence for creatures with 50 HP or less. Your opinion, Ghostfoot?
    My fallback choice is Net of Shadows.

Edit: Hmmm, there's also Power Word Fatigue, which is just a minor debuff. Still, my last Beguiler character used Net of Shadows, so one of the two Power Words will be my choice, depending on Ghostfoot's opinions re: PW Pain.

Double Edit:
    Level up: Beguiler 3.
    +4 HP (3.5 + 1 Con)
    Feat: Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild)
    Skills increased (10 points): Concentration, Spot, Search, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Tumble, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Sleight of Hand
    Advanced Learning: TBA.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2015-08-01 at 02:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not going to try leveling up now -- depression is eating my brain and I can barely post at all. I don't have a build in mind, so there's nothing concrete to shoot for. Soon, though!

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I'm not going to try leveling up now -- depression is eating my brain and I can barely post at all. I don't have a build in mind, so there's nothing concrete to shoot for. Soon, though!
    Sorry to hear that. No problem, there's time to catch up as we continue (and I think only about half have leveled up yet anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Level 3 presents me with an interesting choice in Advanced Learning. The most attractive choice is Power Word Pain, but I know that some DM's don't like it, because it can be an effective death sentence for creatures with 50 HP or less. Your opinion, Ghostfoot?
    My fallback choice is Net of Shadows.

Edit: Hmmm, there's also Power Word Fatigue, which is just a minor debuff. Still, my last Beguiler character used Net of Shadows, so one of the two Power Words will be my choice, depending on Ghostfoot's opinions re: PW Pain.
    PW Pain does seem a bit OTT for a level 1 spell. I saw somebody post elsewhere that PW Pain and PW Distract had their levels transposed, ie that PW Pain should be level 4 and PW Distract should be level 1. This seems pretty reasonable to me given the similarities between PW Distract and the level 1 assassin spell Distract Assailant. How do you feel about that?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems the differences between Distract Assailant and P Distract is that one is a swift action and allows a Will save, the other is a standard action with a HP cap. A fair call, I think.

I think I might go with PW Fatigue - flat-footed for one round would be more useful if there was a Rogue in the group, but debuffs, even minor ones, can be useful.