New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5: GMR 8 - A Beyond Earth Prequel (G&K, BNW)

I don't mind turn timers and I was thinking 48 hours, but 24 hours is decent too. If someone doesn't have the time to do anything that day due to something unexpected, they still can play the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

48 hours please. Things over here can get so hectic that I might miss a day because I just go straight from work to bed without even turning on my computer.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators Only
    Show

Not too much new to report, but explorations to my north have found some food sources; the desert wheat is kinda bad, but the fish and plains wheat are certainly welcome. I just popped a ruins where those warriors are standing; 15 culture, which I used to adopt Tradition. There's also Mount Sinai, of course, but it looks like it is on the edge of a city-state border and will probably get taken. A pity, that. I got a notice that someone had founded a Pantheon, and had chosen God-King; that would be GPuzzle's Celts, although why he picked the relatively tame God-King Pantheon is beyond me.

I'll be able to place a better city to the north, certainly, but I still remain pessimistic about my overall prospects.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

There seems to be a majority in favor of a turn timer (unless I'm bad at counting) so I'll activate a 48-hour turn time on my next turn. I wanted to do it already, but I took my turn before having my morning coffee and forgot. Sorry!
    English is not my first language, but feel free to correct me.

Character sheets:
    Telim, Wilton, Aron and Eric

5. - Top - End - #95

I've added the turn timer and set it to 2 days. I'd also like to angrily shake my fist at Techwarrior for passing the turn to me 30 minutes after I leave for work. This will ruin my average turn time!

Character sheets:

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

"Our scouts have met a band of other people walking around. While access was limited across an ocean, we were still able to communicate our ideals."

Spoiler: To Poland
    Show
    Greetings. I'm glad that my first neighbor isn't a heavy warmonger. I hope we'll be able to conduct business in the future.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Since before even the vaguest of writings of our people, the people of Brazil had been known to us.

Spoiler: Silverraptor, Brazil
    Show
    Hail and well met. Our scouting party greets your envoy, but we seem to have missed sight of you. Let it be known to you that the Great Casimir of Poland finds the rock of Uluru to be within Poland's domain of influence. In fact, should we fail to secure it before our nearby city state does, we will probably have our hand forced against them.

We offer Brazil the hand of friendship, let it not be said that we are an ungiving people. In fact, we seem to have a large excess of dyes that we will have to learn to cultivate soon. Should you be interested, we would be willing to trade it to you for a small favor.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Since before even the vaguest of writings of our people, the people of Brazil had been known to us.

Spoiler: Silverraptor, Brazil
    Show
    Hail and well met. Our scouting party greets your envoy, but we seem to have missed sight of you. Let it be known to you that the Great Casimir of Poland finds the rock of Uluru to be within Poland's domain of influence. In fact, should we fail to secure it before our nearby city state does, we will probably have our hand forced against them.

We offer Brazil the hand of friendship, let it not be said that we are an ungiving people. In fact, we seem to have a large excess of dyes that we will have to learn to cultivate soon. Should you be interested, we would be willing to trade it to you for a small favor.
    Spoiler: Techwarrior, Brazil
    Show
    We have no knowledge of this rock you speak of, and therefore no current interests in it. And unless the city state's name is Zurich, we have no contact with them as well and will be currently willing to look a blind eye. We have found a multitude of copper in our midst. This dye could be quite popular with our people, so we could offer a trade of this precious metal in exchange.

9. - Top - End - #99

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

Behold, the Indian Empire!

Our capital has been growing well, and we have decided to name it after the bellowing cattle, the sound of which marks the beginning of all of our turns. We do have a nice amount of food with the grasslands, and some nice production tiles with stone and silver allowing for mines and quarries. I quite like this location.
    Lets look west:

Not much of interest here. Some hills and mountains which our scouts still have to explore. Unfortunately the silver isn't of much value to me since I already have three sources within range of my capital, but on the other hand I plan to go tall, not wide, so I might be able to getting away with a city without new luxuries. The land is fairly fertile too.
    To the north:

Our scouts are crossing a desert in search of "Malacca", the location of which was described in ancient ruins. They might prove a valuable ally, especially since the maps seem to indicate that they inhabit a chokepoint. There are no good city spots to the north though, just desert and we already have incense within range of our capital.
    To the west:

Our noble warriors have travelled south and found frozen wastes and with brutish inhabitants. Of greater interest, they have also found a remarkable mountain of which legends are told, along with a so far unknown luxury material. This would be a grand place for our second settlement but.. what's that colored line?

I am in quite a bind here. I would really like to settle near the Barringer Crater and the cotton, but that would be a very aggressive move towards what I believe is Assyria. I could probably hold the city, if I get it early enough, but since it is closer to his capital than it is to mine, I would likely be making myself an enemy for the rest of the game. I am not sure that is worth it, especially not since the mountain range to the east of Holy Cow is so defensible. On the other hand, I do not really have any other attractive city spots yet, and I would not be comfortable with Assyria settling a city that close to my capital either. Ugh.

As for my general plan, I am obviously going tall, not wide, probably aiming for 4 cities to maximise the tradition bonus. I am considering going hard for Hanging Gardens to boost my population, especially since some good ruins have given me a nice tech lead (which can be seen from the score).

Character sheets:

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The small band had been travelling south for months, passing by the friendly-if-cautious city of Malacca and from one sandy desert to another. It was evening when they encountered the Indian and although the language barriar initially posed a problem, the two people seemed to agree, at least, that there was nothing wrong with a nice cup of tea.

(Greetings from London, India )
    Last edited by Driderman; 2014-09-08 at 04:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Today is a good day. An important day. In the far distance, our warriors have vanquished a ravaging horde of brutes and savages, and they are now marching back home, carrying the spoils of a fruitful military endeavour. But that is not why my people cheer. No, they cheer because today, today is the day when I am officially recognized as a keeper of Tradition. The past few years, our story-telling have become tradition, and those traditions have become a foundation for my people. The way forward was not a decision easily made. A group of spiritually inclined storytellers spoke with passion on how we should build a shrine to facilitate worship. They spent their time quarreling with my military advisers, who were adamant that our recent military victory were a clear statement of our way forward. Some wanted a diffused leadership structure, led by the people, for the people, with only our common identity to go by. But in the end, the idea of a centralized government won. Exactly... how this will work out, only the future may know. But today, our stories and traditions are officially recognized. I hope this speaks of a bright future for us. The wind is still cold. I still shiver at night. Our conditions are rough, and nothing is given freely to us. But we will endure. We must.

Spoiler: Spectator outpost
    Show

Picked Tradition, because I doubt I'll be able to play a wide game very well, even though I need to get some good land pronto. The fact that there's tundra everywhere around my capital is gonna make things suck, but at least the city is pretty defensible. And I can always hope that there are some nice resources to be discovered somewhere nearby... the fact that I started with no bonus resources is still making me a bit frustrated though.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectator Only
    Show

Closer examination of my surroundings reveals that I may have been overly pessimistic, as there is a food bonus resource near my capital after all! That, and The Barringer Crater is nearby. I'll get my first settler over to that spot post haste; making Science and money at the same time for the 2 food a citizen costs is a delightful steal.

First contact! GPuzzle's Celts. That is not a good sign. I think GPuzzle has already popped a Pantheon belief, and will probably soon found a religion. My Pottery start meant I was actually thinking about maybe trying for a religion, but if GPuzzle is nearby that might not be worthwhile, as he is likely to try and be aggressive in spreading his own religion. There is also the possibility that he is pushing for early aggression with a Pictish rush; all in all, the Celts are not my first choice of neighbors. Brazil would have been much nicer, at least for the early game.

Spoiler: The Celts
    Show
    Greeting to you, oh noble and wise Chieftain of the Celts! I am Neon the Verbose, Scholar-King of mighty Assyria. My people have spotted your scouts, and welcome them in peace. You are the first people we have encountered, other than wretched barbarians unable to appreciate the most noble thing in this world: knowledge. I hope that a civilized people such as yourselves are eager to advance the breadth of human knowledge, and willing to share that with other inquiring minds.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    Spoiler: The Celts
    Show
    Greeting to you, oh noble and wise Chieftain of the Celts! I am Neon the Verbose, Scholar-King of mighty Assyria. My people have spotted your scouts, and welcome them in peace. You are the first people we have encountered, other than wretched barbarians unable to appreciate the most noble thing in this world: knowledge. I hope that a civilized people such as yourselves are eager to advance the breadth of human knowledge, and willing to share that with other inquiring minds.
    Spoiler: Assyria
    Show

Hail Neon the Verbose, Scholar-King of the Assyrian lands! I am GPuzzle the Humble, God-King of Edinburgh! Our scouts have headed south from our original lands, with small cities alongside the borders - Yerevan, Genoa, Tyre and Bogota. The Great Uluru Rock is within a few years of travel from the mighty Edinburgh, home to the free and pious Celtic people. The uncultured barbarian tribes are certainly a problem for our people, as well as yours, it seems and our current regiment is dealing with them in the far north.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

And now India has shown up. India is probably going to be a much nicer neighbor than the Celts, mostly oriented towards a small empire and cultural victories.

Spoiler: To India
    Show
    Greetings to you, oh sagacious and sanguine King of India! I am Neon the Verbose, Scholar-King of mighty Assyria. My people have spotted your scouts, and welcome them in peace. We hope the bountiful forests of Assyria have been pleasing to their eyes; and I also hope you are not too plagued with these treacherous and uncultured rubes the commoners call barbarians.

15. - Top - End - #105

Spoiler: To England
    Show

Greetings good Sir, and welcome to the bountiful sands.. uhm, I mean lands of India! Judging by your clothes, you hail from further away than Malacca - may we ask from where? To the south lies our home, and further south you will only find frozen wastelands. To south-east you will find the Assyria and their Scholar-King, Neon the Verbose. We present this information to you as a token of our goodwill - the Indian people are peaceful and welcoming, and would much rather solve issues with a nice spot of tea than with swords and bows. To our future cooperation, and please come again!

Dada the Gentle.

Spoiler: To Assyria
    Show

Peace be upon you, most glorious and welcoming Neon, the Verbose. The people of India appreciate your beautiful forests and your warm hospitality. It is good to know that you are not affiliated with the savage brutes, residing in the frozen wastes to the south. Would you care for a spot of tea? To our future cooperation, and please come again!

Dada the Gentle.

Character sheets:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To India
    Show

Hail, people of India! The pious and free people of the Celts, led by GPuzzle the Humble, God and King, welcome you! Tell me, what precisely do you believe in?

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler: To the Celts
    Show

Oh most humble GPuzzle, Dada the Gentle, leader of the Indian people greet you. The Indian people believe in peaceful relations and cooperation between sovereign nations. They believe in freedom of choice and civilized discourse. They believe in a nice curry and a spot tea. To our future cooperation, and please come again!

Dada the Gentle

Character sheets:

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, crap. Dada, can you revert the turn? I sort of screwed up and sent the wrong save, so it's actually 3 turns behind.

19. - Top - End - #109

Turn reverted

Character sheets:

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

So GMR seems to be acting up and the servers are down. So it may be some time before we can progress.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Polynesia isn't in this game, I'm playing the "we're stuck on this bloody island?" Zulu.
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah right. Posted that in the wrong thread.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now. Sometimes I can barely tell my games apart

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now. Sometimes I can barely tell my games apart
    Well when you're in practically every game in the playground, what do you expect?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Well when you're in practically every game in the playground, what do you expect?
    I may have a problem

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To India:
    Gandhi old sport, fair warning: There's band of right brutes approaching your western border

27. - Top - End - #117

England:
    We are well aware, but thank you for your most thoughtful warning old chap. We shall deal with them shortly.

Character sheets:

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a reason the game is default to quick movement and quick combat for units?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure, Silverraptor.

Spoiler: To Spectators
    Show
    I forgot to take a screenshot, but nothing exciting has really happened. I'm working on a granary, and will quickly transfer into a settler after that is finished; I want to secure the Crater ASAP. India hung around the area for a while apparently fighting bandits, but I don't want to risk losing that sweet, sweet science and gold tile. Otherwise I've got a worker out putting up some plantations. I've got a nice early gold income; maybe I'll buy a Shrine or another worker or something with that. Nabbing religion would be pretty nice.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Is there a reason the game is default to quick movement and quick combat for units?
    The host probably enabled said options.