New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shaester's Falcons IC

Glancing sideways at Aiden while taking a leaf from his companion's book, Shem suppresses a sigh of irritation.

"Calm down and take a deep breath. Tell us everything you know - while you're with us you're as safe as you would be in Ironwall."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's probably a bluff check
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-12 at 08:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    None at the moment...
    Amazing White Mage Avatar by Shades of Gray

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

"I've -- err -- known of Luther for a long time. He comes by in the fall and takes from our harvest, and he usually has some toughs with him for extra muscle. Two years ago, we formed a militia and drove him off. He came back this year but came back changed! He has these bloodthirsty goblins with him and they chant this grub grik thing and kill people in the streets -- he was never a killer before! S-so, when he came to my room in my sleep and woke me up with a dagger to my throat and he was foaming at the mouth and I swear he wanted to kill me but he said 'you take this and you dump it into the well' I really had no choice and I had to leave and save myself! Right? You b-believe me, right?"

Goblin:
    Aiden speaks Goblin and knows that 'grub' means 'blood' and 'grik' means 'skull'
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"We do. What, exactly, did he have you dump into the well?" Aiden asked.

He looked to his companions. "'Blood Skull' is what that chanting means. Hmm..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+8)[15], in case I can figure out from the words if that chanting means anything magical.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-08-12 at 08:36 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Roll Knowledge (Religion) instead for the Grub grik thing.

"I-it was... Arsenic." he peeps, clearly hoping you don't know what that means.
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2014-08-12 at 08:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Why would you poison people? Mellia asked starting to tear up from imagining all the people falling over dead.

Why not, lie and say you would then run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

"I-I had no choice...?" he squeaks, shrinking in on himself in shame and the fear on his face that you all will kill him right here. He touches his vest and then jerks his hand away, slicking his already slicked back hair instead.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Aiden didn't recognize the purpose of the chanting. His features became grim at the mention of the poison. "I have had little experience with treating poisons. It may be wise to use our Sending for the day. If Shaester can send healers, and we can remove the threat of the goblins, it may be that they can still save those who have drunk from the well," Aiden put forth hopefully, though in truth, he simply had no knowledge of how long someone who was exposed to arsenic might have. He kept his words pragmatic; there was little benefit to scolding the man at this stage. "Was the attack still in progress when you left, and how long ago was that?"
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"All right." Bliss circles around to the man's other side and slams the butt of her staff - her javelin - into the ground. "You're coming with us and making things right. I don't..." She purses her lips. "You did what you thought you had to do. So now you have to do better. I don't know what that means yet. Probably won't until we arrive."

She gazes down the road towards the town. "I guess we'll find out together."

9. - Top - End - #39

Shem shakes his head in disgust. He hates those who attack innocents, but he's not sure how to handle a situation like this one.

At Bliss' suggestion, he nods once.

"That's not a bad way of putting it. You're coming with us, whether you like it or not. Remember, you are safe with us... from Luther and his goblins at least."

He turns to Aiden.

"Also not a bad idea. I'll do it."
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-12 at 10:44 PM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

"I left about two hours ago. I think they w-wanted to wait for the poison to take effect before attacking because I didn't see the bloodthirsty creatures on my way out of town."

"I will give you 80 gold pieces if you let me go and pretend like you never saw me!" he practically shrieks. He looks like he is about to bolt, though you surround him and he would not get anywhere.
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2014-08-12 at 09:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Absolutely not. Mia replied hands on hips, clearly offended at the prospect of being brought.

Look if you come with us, we'll keep you safe. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, and I have a feeling you won't kill again. She says her face soften up.

But... you do need to come with us. She insists firmly.

Spoiler
    Show

Trying a diplomacy check here.

(1d20+13)[25]

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

"B-but they'll kill me..." he whines, but turns his horse and cart around and follows the group.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Aiden gave the man a consoling clap on the shoulder, and started moving again, with renewed urgency.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #44

15. - Top - End - #45

Mellia flashed the man a warm smile stating You'll be fine.. And she follows the group as they move out again.

16. - Top - End - #46

Shem follows along behind the wagon for a little while, before following Bliss's lead. Then, on second thoughts, he hops up into the wagon himself, digs out the Sending Stone from his pack, and sits down in a meditative position, stone cupped in his hands. He focuses hard on the stone while thinking the words of his message:

This is Shem, reporting from road to Onionseed. We have reports of arsenic in the well water, requesting healer capable of helping with poison.

Show
    Assuming this is based of the sending spell and the message has to be 25 words or less, that message is 24 words.
    Show
    None at the moment...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

When Bliss places her tent in the wagon, she gets a glimpse of the contents. It looks like the man had packed up as much as he could -- she sees two chairs, some folded clothing, and a few leather bags and sacks in the cart.

The response comes at once through the Stone:
    "Roger. Immediate clerical assistance en route. Arrival due around nightfall."

The group continues down the road for another two hours or so, the man sweating and growing more and more nervous all the way. Conversation is slilted, but you do find out that his name is Geoffry, and he has lived in Onionseed for about four years. He served as the town doctor, it seems. He never joined the militia.

At long last and at about three o'clock in the afternoon, Shaester's Falcons arrive at Onionseed. The dirt road you've been following ends in the small village square, which is a collection of six wooden buildings arranged in a circle. Farmers tend fields and live in cottages on their farms, so only the town doctor, mayor, tavern, blacksmith, general store, and church are concentrated here in town. Long ago, the clouds burned away and the sun has been steadily shining down on you for the entire afternoon, leaving you comfortably warm.

The town square is a scene from hell.

A circle of red chalk filled with bizarre runes and designs about six feet in diameter is drawn in the center of the pounded dirt clearing between buildings. Three tall goblins with thick, gnarled, reddish hide stand hunched over, holding morningstars and shields at the ready. Their crazed faces glare about and a red foam sizzles on their lips and rolls down their chins. They wear black leather armor with brass buckles and straps, though it looks like their tough hides offer as much protection. A pile of four male human bodies in studded leather armor lies motionless on one side of the circle. In the center of the blood red chalk circle, a short, squat goblin holds a fifth human, squeezing blood out of his open neck so it can fall into the center of the circle. This goblin's skin is yellowish and is not a thick hide, but it is covered in red and black tattoos. A morningstar hangs at its belt. Finally, you spot a lithe and birdlike goblin atop the church. This creature is nearer than the others, and it appears to have buzzing insect wings sprouting from its back, and it wields a shortbow and has a quiver on its hip bristling with arrows.

Geoffrey lets out a terrified squeal when the scene comes into view and he faints straight away. The horse whinnies but stays put.

As it stands, you are about 50 feet out from the town square and the four goblins there, and about 30 feet from the top of the church where the archer goblin is on the roof.

You get a surprise round, and may act now.

Spoiler: initiative
    Show

Goblins (1d20+1)[20]
    Falcons (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2014-08-12 at 11:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Aiden had taken a moment to...scout the surroundings, yes, that was definitely what he was doing, when Geoffery had mentioned his profession. He had been trying not to judge the man. He really, really had. But for the town doctor to do what he had...

Even Aiden's patience could only extend so far.

The sight when they reached the town sickened him. Sickened and enraged him. He hadn't felt so angry since he had learned of someone hunting unicorns in his home woods. Well, Shaester's mercenaries had handled that particular evil. Now he would help this new unit thwart another.

There was neither time nor need for parlay. Aiden preferred not to resort to violence, but lives were at immediate risk and the sight of what could only be a blood magic rite - the most corrupt, perverse feat of the arcane he had ever heard of - stripped all the compassion from the elf's thoughts. The rage that shifted his visage to an elven avenger did not only flicker across his face for a moment this time - it stayed, and it fixed on the goblins with intent fury.

He loosed an arrow straight for the squat goblin in the center of the circle in a desperate effort to save his captive's life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Shoot the guy who's bleeding the human. (1d20+5)[22], (1d8+4)[8] damage.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

19. - Top - End - #49

Shem acts immediately, moving forward and drawing a pair of steel daggers. Having spotted the goblin above, he attempts to keep obstructions between himself and the goblin's line of sight.

Spoiler: DC15 Spot check, for players
    Show
    Shem's eyes fill with a cloud of darkness, like a furious shadow struggling to escape. His eyes are completely black.

Spoiler: If any enemy comes within 15ft
    Show
    A crackle of black lightning courses over their bodies.

They have to make a DC14 Will save or suffer from a -1 to attack rolls and tumble checks for as long as they're within 15ft. They also take 1d4 extra damage whenever I attack them. If they succeed on their save, they are immune for 24 hours.

Show
    Shem moves 20 feet forwards, and draws his two daggers. If possible, he tries to avoid being an easy target for the goblin on the church.

Hope it's alright to make other players make spot checks.
    Last edited by Jötunn; 2014-08-12 at 11:33 PM.
    Show
    None at the moment...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

With incredible elven accuracy, Aiden puts an arrow through the yellowish goblins head. It stands still for a moment, and then collapses in a heap on top of the bleeding human. The three hulking goblins snarl in surprise and yell out "Grub et Khorne Grik et Griknoth!"

Goblin: "Blood for the Blood God Skulls for the Skull Throne!"

Shem deftly moves forward, drawing his weapons.
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2014-08-12 at 11:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Mellia sighs. Her mind in turmoil. Doctor, huh. It was a good thing we didn't let him leave. Maybe he'll be able to treat some of the victims. If we could find any wands or scrolls I could try using them. She steps to cover the man's body, then puts her right hand out, as if she were one handing a crossbow.

May you find peace in the next life. She states, shooting a ray of eldritch energy at the flying goblin on top of the chruch.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Eldritch spear invocation to have a range of 250 feet.

I check touch to hit.
    (1d20+3)[4]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d20+3)[10]
    (1d6)[6]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Bliss tosses her spear in the air, where it bends down in an arc and thins. She catches a sling, lengths of elven rope securing direwolf hide, and places a round stone into the cradle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heroic Spirit Include: Archer David. Lasts 5 rounds, including this one.

Sadly, it's a move action, and you only get one action in a surprise round. Ah well, she couldn't have gotten any other weapon out faster.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Bliss arms herself and Mellia narrowly misses the goblin on the roof.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Boli marches forward in a fury as he looses his axe from his hip. He raises his axe in the air to shout "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai menu!"

Dwarven: Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

The goblins beat their morningstars on their shields and surge forward. They move without any sort of militaristic caution or formation, but rather rush headlong into melee with the two Falcons that have taken point. Two engage with Boli, while one attacks Shem. Only one of the flailing morningstar attacks hits, and it hits the dwarf with a heavy thud.

Upon the roof, the winged goblin buzzes its wings and nocks an arrow, firing it at the warlock who attacked it. It lands a glancing blow upon her arm. The creature then lets out a high pitched howl that resonates across the battlefield.

Spoiler
    Show
    Boli is hit for 3 damage
    All 3 goblins charged, they are -2 AC until start of next turn
    Mellia is hit by an arrow for 1 damage

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

In grim silence, Aiden drew another arrow, loosing for the flying goblin.

The noise that shriek produced was worrisome. He listened closely to try and hear the sounds of more approaching foes, and what direction they might be coming from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Shoot the flyer at (1d20+5)[6] for (1d8+4)[11].

Move Action: Attempt a Listen check at (1d20+6)[23].

EDIT: I'd have been...perfectly happy switching those two rolls .

Party Status (I tend to keep track of this when I'm playing a healer):
    Aiden: 9/9.
    Boli: 11/14.
    Mellia: 7/8.
    Bliss: 12/12.
    Shem: 10/10.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2014-08-14 at 03:41 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Bliss fires a pair of stones at the goblin in the air, then stretches her sling in her hands as it elongates into a sturdy metal staff with a bulb on one end..

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Bliss uses the noble phantasm Hamash Avanim, giant-killing stones.
    First attack: (1D20+1)[6]
    Second attack: (1D20+1)[20]
    First damage:(1D4+3)[7] + (1D6)[5]
    Second damage:(1D4+3)[6] + (1D6)[4]

All damage from this attack is nonlethal.

Her first include ended, she then installs Archer Nanoha and holds a masterwork quarterstaff.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

The winged goblin dodges an arrow and a stone, but the third attack loosed against it in such rapid succession proves too much for it. It clatters to the roof of the church in a mess of bow and arrows and limbs and rolls off the roof onto the ground, unconscious or perhaps dead.

A blood-chilling howl resonates through the air -- sounding uncomfortably close -- in answer to the winged goblin's shriek. Aiden estimates the howler to be no more than a minute away.
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2014-08-14 at 04:28 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Shem grins at the goblin in front of him, slashing with both his daggers. When they hit, there is a tiny crackle of lightning coruscating around the blade. Mid-fight, Shem also gestures at the closest goblin in combat with his companion, the dwarf.

Show
    Attack 1:(1d20+4)[16]
    Damage 1: (1d3-1)[0]+(1d4)[4]
    Attack 2:(1d20+4)[14]
    Damage 2: (1d3-1)[1]+(1d4)[1]

Swift action to use my only malefaction on the nearest goblin that isn't affected by my aura, DC14 will save or he gets penalties to diplomacy and casting spells. Not important, but it means when I move on to him he's vulnerable to my Torment the Weak extra damage.
    Show
    None at the moment...

30. - Top - End - #60

Mellia cries out as the arrow pierces her. More from pain, then shock.

Steadying her left arm with her right hand, she used her left hand to generate the eldritch ray this time.

Spoiler
    Show

Aiming for a goblin attacking Boli
    (1d20+3)[17]
    (1d6)[4]
    If Threat (1d20+3)[16]
    (1d6)[5]