New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground
    Default Re: OOTS #960 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Belkar's phrase is actually the description for how a mercurial weapon feels when you swing it. Of course, those weren't updated to 3E, at least not to the best of my knowledge.
    The title "Collision Testing" is a reference to the psionic weapon property Collision. In spirit, it is the same thing as mercurial, only it is made by a psionic crafter. That is why V assumes the psion made it.

Thus V seems to be saying this weapon is exactly a +5 Collision dagger.

I would guess this is important because it means that Belkar has a dagger that can do enough damage to genuinely annoy the HPoH. No, it is no scary threatening. But 5-10 net damage after DR can start to add up quickly.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Laurin made that dagger. Maybe she Gated to the Plane of Cheap-Petroleum-Based-Immitations-of-Luxury-Goods?

Also, does if Laurin is the one who made it, does it say anything about what she actually thinks of Tarquin that she didn't use real leather?

Stupid Good = Trust always

Smart Good = Trust first, but verify when able (ie Tit-for-Tat, where cooperation is the default first move)

Neutral = Verify first, do not trust until verification is complete

Evil = Do not trust, regardless of verification

The difference between Smart Good with prudent paranoia and Neutral with prudent paranoia is how nicely one treats the object of the paranoia while waiting for verification. As such we do not actually know yet if Haley, or even Roy, is exercising prudent paranoia. As HPoH has not done anything that either of them know about that would count as verification, they are treating him nicely, even if they might privately harbor suspicions and are watching him closely privately (Haley more likely so that Roy, probably). Whereas neutral V is treated HPoH standoffishly while watching for verification.

No actually reason that the axe is guaranteed to be superior to the dagger, though. We don't even know for sure which of the two is Tarquin's primary weapon. The only time we saw him use the axe it was when his intent was to "test" Elan and he wasn't serious. And we do see him use, and carry, the dagger more....
    Actually, we do know from the first linked strip that Tarquin got his axe out of storage for the trip with Nale, and used it in combat against the Order. That indicates it is his primary.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #303

SamuraiGuy

If he had the axe all the way back then, it seems not unreasonable that he, with the wealth he and his team now control, and any leveling up they must surely have done along the way, found a superior weapon to replace the axe as his primary, somewhere along the way.

No reason why that weapon could not be that dagger.
    Or the axe was always the best weapon when he decided to spend GP upgrading his weapon, and it's now +20 Vorpal Collision Flaming Icy Screaming Acidic Shocking Everbright (wouldn't want it to be taken out by a Rust Monster).

We just don't know. We do know that when he went out on campaign against someone he respected, he used the axe.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Or the axe was always the best weapon when he decided to spend GP upgrading his weapon, and it's now +20 Vorpal Collision Flaming Icy Screaming Acidic Shocking Everbright (wouldn't want it to be taken out by a Rust Monster).

We just don't know. We do know that when he went out on campaign against someone he respected, he used the axe.
    The counterargument to that is that he was pretending to be Thog, who would look very odd indeed using anything other than a big honking axe.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The counterargument to that is that he was pretending to be Thog, who would look very odd indeed using anything other than a big honking axe.
    He had it in storage, instead of liquidated, so it was worth keeping around even after he retired from active adventuring, so it's unlikely to be either a shrub's or scrub's or schlub's weapon.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-08-19 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    He had it in storage, instead of liquidated, so it was worth keeping around even after he retired from active adventuring, so it's unlikely to be either a shrub's or scrub's or schlub's weapon.
    Tarquin strikes me as the kind to keep his old weapons around if for no other reason than because retired adventurers are supposed to keep old weapons around their homes, even if he doesn't feel genuinely sentimental about it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Tarquin strikes me as the kind to keep his old weapons around if for no other reason than because retired adventurers are supposed to keep old weapons around their homes, even if he doesn't feel genuinely sentimental about it.
    Agreed, but as a counterpoint, I'd say that retired adventurers' weapons are supposed to be fairly powerful, too, for when they are passed on to the next generation or broken out for a last battle.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Agreed, but as a counterpoint, I'd say that retired adventurers' weapons are supposed to be fairly powerful, too, for when they are passed on to the next generation or broken out for a last battle.
    well, Roy's sword was only what, a +3 greatsword before it was reforged? Impressive when youre killing goblins, less so when you're fighting dragons.

9. - Top - End - #309

SamuraiGuy

He's also the sort to spend gold upgrading those weapons because it's what adventurers do, and he has access to vast wealth. If it's all about following the arc of the story, shouldn't the Great Tarquin have a Great greataxe of Great power illustrating his absolute Greatness?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

well, Roy's sword was only what, a +3 greatsword before it was reforged? Impressive when youre killing goblins, less so when you're fighting dragons.
    True, but I get the impression that Horace was much lower level and less wealthy than Tarquin, who seems to have retired at near or epic levels, so I can't imagine him not upgrading it to the type of thing that would be expected of someone of his level. As you said, impressiveness varies by situation situation - an ancestral weapon inherited early on should be reasonably impressive at start, but shouldn't remain so without upgrades so as not to break the game. But a weapon that a near epic or epic level tyrant breaks out for one last battle should be suitably impressive.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-08-19 at 08:55 PM.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Funnily enough, Horace killed at least two dragons with that sword.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Funnily enough, Horace killed at least two dragons with that sword.
    Exactly my point. A weapon does not need to be especially impressive to be passed down. A non-Tarquin adventurer keeps weapons for sentiment, not contractual retired adventurer obligation, and a sentimental weapon wont necessarily be the most powerful.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2014-08-19 at 09:01 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Depends on the dragon, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #314
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, sometimes the narrative demands an axe, and if it has to be a +4 Axe instead of a +5 dagger, then axe it shall be.

T could well have an example of every single weapon class in storage, because certain kills just scream for certain weapons, and a different one would just screw the narrative.

They'd all be powerful and upgraded, but there'd be no telling which one is the most powerful and upgraded.

15. - Top - End - #315

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Thog will come back, am pretty sure of it...

Probaably strip #1000 where Thog omes riding the snarl just for the sake of it
    It'll turn out the Thog was a secret agent/living avatar/bodily embodiment of the Snarl all along, with a INT of 30 plus Deification enhancements, obfuscating stupidity the whole time, and he by himself is the ninth faction....

16. - Top - End - #316

It'll turn out the Thog was a secret agent/living avatar/bodily embodiment of the Snarl all along, with a INT of 30 plus Deification enhancements, obfuscating stupidity the whole time, and he by himself is the ninth faction....
    Thog has multiple personalities??

Quick! We must determine who the other personalities are! (I nominate the High Priest of Hel for one of them. It was even foreshadowed!)

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

They'd all be powerful and upgraded, but there'd be no telling which one is the most powerful and upgraded.
    Narrowly speaking, yes.

But "realistically" speaking...

(1) When it comes down to crunching numbers, Tarquin can probably fight more effectively with a boring +2 greataxe than a +5 Collision dagger. Two-handed weapons are really really good in the hands of strong characters.

(2) A visibly "runed up" weapon like that is never ever ever going to be a mere 50k gp or less weapon. There are no hard and fast rules about that, obviously, but it is a common visual storytelling rule of thumb. (In fact, given Tarquin's personality, he would be the kind to make an open joke about any twist here. Malack: "That is that attractive axe. I do not recognize it." Tarquin: "This worthless thing. I took it off the corpse of some punk. Then had these ominous looking glowing runes added on just for appearances.")

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Thog has multiple personalities??

Quick! We must determine who the other personalities are!
    other thogs also thog
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #319
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    (In fact, given Tarquin's personality, he would be the kind to make an open joke about any twist here. Malack: "That is that attractive axe. I do not recognize it." Tarquin: "This worthless thing. I took it off the corpse of some punk. Then had these ominous looking glowing runes added on just for appearances.")
    What part of his personality makes you think he'd say/do something like that?

He cares deeply about winning. He goes the extra mile for a joke, certainly, but he wouldn't keep and use a worthless axe just because it is pretty.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    other thogs also thog
    Best post in a couple pages.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Best post in a couple pages.
    What? How could anything top the discussion on Tarquin's axe?

Seriously though, it was.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    other thogs also thog
    Damn we really need a like system on this forum!!!!

thog is the champion, my friends... and Thog keeps on fighting, to the end!!!
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    What part of his personality makes you think he'd say/do something like that?

He cares deeply about winning. He goes the extra mile for a joke, certainly, but he wouldn't keep and use a worthless axe just because it is pretty.
    You misunderstand. He would not keep a worthless axe because it is pretty. But if he had other good reasons for having a worthless axe in hand and it was unusually pretty, then he would very likely joke about.

The argument being put forth by others is that the axe could well be worthless. While not impossible, it seems highly implausible. Implausible because Tarquin does not need to use worthless stuff -- that is quite obvious. But I am further suggesting that if an item so happens to be a fake out (e.g. it has all these badass looking runes that mean nothing), then Tarquin would be very likely joke about that.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have to say, as a lurker, this is one of the most inane arguments I've ever seen in one of these threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ManicOppressive View Post
    I have to say, as a lurker, this is one of the most inane arguments I've ever seen in one of these threads.
    We argued about 2% milk vs fat free milk in the last one. This doesn't even make my top 20

26. - Top - End - #326

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ManicOppressive View Post
    You must not have lurked for very long then, sir....

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We argued about 2% milk vs fat free milk in the last one.
    I would just like to take a moment to say that this is not an exaggeration.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I would just like to take a moment to say that this is not an exaggeration.
    Is there even a point to having dedicated strip discussion threads?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They last longer before the evil tangent aliens come down and activate the mind control devices.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Well, sometimes good points or interesting speculation are raised.

It does seem like the most recent threads have been getting more and more readily derailed, though. :/