New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181

Default Re: OOTS #960 - The Discussion Thread

He also has the downside that the Order has spent several more months getting to know each other better. I mean, when the Elan/Nale switch happened, they'd only been adventuring together for, what, a few months? If that?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

1. Regarding blood: If you look at 957 (et. al), I always assumed that red was due to blood around internal tissue.

2. Regarding Belkar's new weapon... well. This reminds me of FFVII. Specifically what happened to Aerith right after she got the Princess Guard.

3: I really think the potentially most interesting part is what Belkar is telling V prior to the text we see in panel 1. Does he knows why he jumped off the ship? Even just describing the feeling, is that enough for V to know? Why doesn't Belkar ask for help specifically to avoid being subject to that weakness?

4. And lastly:

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    ... One design problem, IMO, with 3.5 is that it's so well-balanced
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, I think that's the first time I've ever heard that said without irony.

Actually, I do feel it's kind of "Typical Tarquin", or rather: Typical just like your father would do: Pick the most expensive (+5, that is) equipment, and pick the most boring and un-imaginative feature (a flat, non-rollable +5 to damage). A younger and more creative spirit might have preferred a weapon with some fancy visual effect, or something subject to fate (needing a die roll).
    I think you vastly misjudge Tarquin.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Come to think of it, how many times has V attempted humor? Not often, I think, so sarcasm counts for a lot.

Also, when I first read this, I thought the ninth panel was the punch line.

I suppose the other three panels were worth it to see Belkar’s high-dive face again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Recreator View Post
    The Good party members all seem to believe that Durkula is simply Durkon in vampiric form. The Neutral (ish) party member recognizes that Durkula is not Durkon, but is not prepared to judge Durkula's intentions. The Evil party member not only believes that Durkula is separate from Durkon, but is convinced that Durkula is an abomination that must be destroyed.
    You're onto something, but I think it's not so much their alignments as the fact that they have fonder relationships with Durkon -- something helped/hurt by personalities, and alignment are part of personalities.

Roy/Haley/Elan respected Durkon as a fellow hero and relied on him as a sturdy and helpful friend. They looked forward to having him back.

Looking at Don't Split the Party, V regarded Durkon as preachy, annoying, and entirely different in priorities. They reconciled pretty well when they reunited, but the mutual respect isn't quite friendship.

And Belkar seldom trusted anyone, unless you count planning for them to be suckers that he could get to help him. (He's shifting recently, but that's another discussion.)

Now, some people suggested Haley's suspicious nature, so I'll link them. It's a fair point, and I wouldn't be surprised if it does come up. I'd just say that alignment isn't the source of their trust so much as it and their buddy status with Durkon are both products of their outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Hypothetical explanation: good-aligned people are more likely to lend the benefit of the doubt, in charity, because they think of other people as innately good. Meanwhile, evil-aligned people think that everyone's really just a scumbag with varying amounts of facade.

You see a reflection of yourself in others.
    I think it has more to do with life experience than alignment per se.

Consider : Haley is untrusting -- or at least she started that way -- because she grew up in an environment where telling the truth was a death sentence. But this doesn't stop her from doing right by people, or sacrificing her own diamond for the sake of someone else. That's why she's chaotic good.

[...]

So I suspect trustfulness is more an artifact of whether the person in question grew up in a threatening environment than their alignment. Obviously evil people in a good society have to be a little bit deceptive, or they will be outcast, driven out and hunted down. But I wonder if the reverse wouldn't hold true in the usually evil goblin society -- whether a goblin which chose to harbor good sympathies and actions would have to conceal it, dressing up in a black cloak and only pretending to drink the blood of the innocent, for example.
    I'm flashing back to "1984," but it's been a while since I read that, so I'm not sure if it counts or not. "The Bourne Identity" might be a better fit, where Bourne acted the role of a cold-blooded killer even though he'd rather avoid it whenever possible. That job literally drove him insane.

Still, trying to pull a cover role like that would have some serious story potential. Nice observation of yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    3: I really think the potentially most interesting part is what Belkar is telling V prior to the text we see in panel 1. Does he knows why he jumped off the ship? Even just describing the feeling, is that enough for V to know?
    ...Huh. Do mind-controlled characters know that someone else made then do it? I'm unsure from the comic, seeing as Belkar didn't talk after Malack controlled him. On one hand, Thanh thought he bore some responsibility for his actions, at least for a moment. But on a better hand, Belkar's first leap overboard got followed by such heightened outrage that I think he must have connected the behavior to not-Durkon, at least as a suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by allenw View Post
    You're all getting it wrong. OotS-pleather is "psionic leather," carefully flayed from, well, considering the former owner I'm going to guess "psionic characters." As long as the "donor" stays alive, the pleather remains living, soft, and supple (thanks to a psionic link).

So, still in poor taste, but EVIL.
    Ouch. One can only hope this decoration method did not extend to any Bleedingham palace furniture. That'd be one way to make Tarquin's attempts at wooing even more aversive.
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Is it just me or does V look a little different from the last time we saw him/her/it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Threads made due to my misreading of a rule: 2

One of my favorite hobbies is criticizing popular members and moderators for anything they do wrong. So nothing personal.

I know I promised to stat a lot of things, but my life got busy and, well, my life got busy. I'm not very active on the forum for now, but I will be fulfilling my promises later.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Actually I think it's time for V to take Mind Blank on his next level up.

It's an 8th level spell, lasts all day and protects all those weak willed party members....

Of course deciding WHICH weak willed party member to protect is tricky. Still going to have only 3 8th level spell slots, plus an evocation slot at level 16, and if V makes 17 I doubt very much V will want to waste 9th level slots on an 8th level spell, no matter how useful.

Hm...scrolls maybe. For the climactic battle etc. The lich doesn't seem to go for will save spells but Redcloak's got plenty in his inventory.

6. - Top - End - #186

This strip should reasonably indicate that HPoH is a liar, shouldn't it?

When threatened he went right back to the same M.O. that he used before... that he denied using.

Unless nobody else observed it. In which case, from the perspective of the others, Belkar is either telling the truth or jumping overboard repeatedly just to frame HPoH.

Anyways Belkar is going to need much more than a ring of mind blank to take on HPoH. Make it past the dominate and you've still got a high-level vampire cleric to deal with in all other respects.
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Really, Rich? "Pleather"? You should know by now that, by D&D law, post-Renaissance materials as well as technologies must be replaced by otherworldly equivalents, whether direct or approximate. Titanium and aluminum alloys instead of adamantine and mithral are no more permissible than non-magical video games and cell phones. (Or course, you're not forbidden from including magic video games and cell phones. Why, that would just be silly!)

I guess I can let it slide this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathalor View Post
    Perhaps there was enough pleather on the hilt that it's removal counts as weapon shrinkage.
    Upon reflection, that seems rather likely. If a katana can count as a masterwork bastard sword, then a dagger with a reduced hilt is darned well at least close enough to a smaller short sword to count as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Durkon merits investigating because he is not Durkon yet claims to be, which probably means an ulterior motive of some sort.
    Well, obviously it's because he wants the others to trust him. And it's entirely plausible that he wants them to trust him because he wants to be able to work together with them to save the world out of self-interest.

Not that that would at all preclude, say, secret plans to turn them all into vampires too in preparation for the final battle with Xykon.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This strip should reasonably indicate that HPoH is a liar, shouldn't it?

When threatened he went right back to the same M.O. that he used before... that he denied using.

Unless nobody else observed it. In which case, from the perspective of the others, Belkar is either telling the truth or jumping overboard repeatedly just to frame HPoH.
    (to Belkar and 'Durkon'): Dammit! Will you two drop your stupid little feud and get back to saving the world!
    (mumbles under breath): Gods, I just got Belkar and Vaarsuvius to stop fighting. Now these two are at each other throats. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't have it better off when I was dead. At least then I would have had some peace and quiet and I wouldn't have to deal with petty bickering like I am now.

=====

I don't think Roy really cares right now which one is lying. This isn't really all that different, from his perspecitve, from when V and Belkar were engaging in their prank war. If it starts to get out of hand, he may have to put his foot down. But until then, he's just going to sulleny accept it as his lot in life.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-08-13 at 11:50 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    Actually I think it's time for V to take Mind Blank on his next level up.

It's an 8th level spell, lasts all day and protects all those weak willed party members....

Of course deciding WHICH weak willed party member to protect is tricky. Still going to have only 3 8th level spell slots, plus an evocation slot at level 16, and if V makes 17 I doubt very much V will want to waste 9th level slots on an 8th level spell, no matter how useful.

Hm...scrolls maybe. For the climactic battle etc. The lich doesn't seem to go for will save spells but Redcloak's got plenty in his inventory.
    Protection From Evil works just as well for that purpose (while providing other useful benefits) and is 1st level. It doesn't last all day, but it lasts long enough.

10. - Top - End - #190

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by allenw View Post
    You're all getting it wrong. OotS-pleather is "psionic leather," carefully flayed from, well, considering the former owner I'm going to guess "psionic characters." As long as the "donor" stays alive, the pleather remains living, soft, and supple (thanks to a psionic link).
    Wouldn't those "donors" be the Naugas? Don't know about their psionicness, though.

So, still in poor taste, but EVIL.
    But yes, they're definitely Evil.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Compared to some of the other weapons the OOTS have available (Haley's +5 Icy Burst shortbow, Roy's +5(?) Undead Bane greatsword), a +5 Collision Dagger isn't much.

For a +7 total weapon bonus, and the fact Tarquin is EXTREMELY genre savvy, I would have expected something likea +2 Keen, Collision, Psychokinetic Burst dagger (1d4+2+5+1d4 force, 17-20 crit threat, +1d6 force on critical hit)

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I'm surprised none of the other characters are worried about Belkar's mental health, given that he keeps jumping over the side of the airship.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    So, "maximal efficiency" plus "shifting mass" means that instead of (say) 1D6+1, it does 6+2 damage ?
    Efficiency enhancements = euphemism for enhancement bonuses, I believe. So it's a +5 Collision Dagger, since it's not an epic weapon. If it were an epic weapon, those go up to... +10? Yeah, +10, but then that'd cost a cool 2 million before factoring in Collision and the 302 for the masterwork dagger as the base. So it deals... 1d4+5+5+Str or Str/2, depending.

Except it's a bit wonky with a Human dagger wielded by a Halfling and whether to do sizing penalties or just count it as a Halfling's shortsword ala Tolkien.

And weapons don't resize by default and I can't remember any canon examples of weapons resizing aside from the weapon shrinkage retcon joke.

Quote Originally Posted by The Recreator View Post
    Huh. I just realized that we can categorize the party's view of Durkula along the good/evil axis.

The Good party members all seem to believe that Durkula is simply Durkon in vampiric form. The Neutral (ish) party member recognizes that Durkula is not Durkon, but is not prepared to judge Durkula's intentions. The Evil party member not only believes that Durkula is separate from Durkon, but is convinced that Durkula is an abomination that must be destroyed.

This probably means something, but it's entirely possible that I'm reading too much into things.
    Just might, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicFox View Post
    I'd say it's a pretty decent way of splitting up the different alignments' likely reactions to this sort of situation, myself. A closer look at what Haley thinks will cement it one way or the other, I think.
    You mean other than, say, a Good Cleric or Paladin's reaction of DESTROY THE ABOMINATION so we can bring back our dead comrade? Good is not always dumb, after all.

It's nice, I guess, but I would think that a character who can afford such a costly weapon might find a more useful way to spend those 48,000 Gp?
    Probably. Shax's Indispensable Haversack, for instance.

Much simplifies things for telling the story to only have one pertinent property to explain, though.

Right, I know that this comic is NOT a DnD game played out and illustrated. But still, it's a nice enhancement bonus for me to try to figure out what the rules might tell us about this - after all, DnD is first and foremost about telling a story with the aid of a rule set.
    As for the OOTS, I'm kind of curious how this dagger was able to kill Nale with one hit. Or rather; yes, he was severely injured at that time, so I can easily imagine that one hit from a high-STR character, was enough to kill him. But was that +5 bonus from Collision property enough to make a difference at that instant? I suspect this has been discussed before, but for Nale to insta-die like he did in this comic, he would need to be brought from at least 1 Hp to -10 Hp; a Hp loss of 11.
    If Tarquin had a STR of 16 (seems way too low, for an Epic melée-type character ruling a kingdom), that +5 dagger would in itself not be certain to kill off Nale; it would deal 9-12 damage. Indeed, in such a situation, the +5 Collision damage would make that hit a certain killer, with damage ranging from 14 to 17. Thus, with even 6 Hp remaining, one lucky strike might be enough to kill Nale.
    I'd say Tarquin would have a Strength around 20 as the low end, he's almost certainly got a +6 item even if he is Old and has a -3 to Str. 16 to start +6 item -3 Old=19 ...so +1 from leveling up = 20.

So 1d4+5+5+5+Misc with a 19-20/x2 crit range is doing 16 minimum, 32 minimum on a crit. Without Collision that'd be 11 damage minimum, 22 on a crit. Collision becomes better in the presence of multipliers, such as Valorous(all weapons do 2x damage on a charge ala lances while mounted, lances with the property do 3x while mounted or 4x with the Spirited Charge feat when used while mounted) or expanding the crit range (Keen effect, Improved Crit) or crit mulitiplier (kaorti resin/ribbon material).

But still, I'm kind of surprised that this very lethal-looking weapon didn't have any more deadly enchantments to it. Is perhaps Tarquin an Assassin or something, using Death attack? In short: Which is the most lethal - Tarquin or the dagger?
    If he had even half-decently selected combat feats, Tarquin. The dagger could definitely be better, though I honestly can't recall the better properties for a dagger. I know TWFers like extra damage sources/dice, and Collision is pretty decent amongst those, because it's a guaranteed 5 damage so there's only a 1/3 chance that a +1d6 property such as Flaming would equal or better it and it's 5 damage that helps punching through DR instead of being an energy type. Even Energy Resistance 2 or 5 basically hobbles those properties, especially on commonly resisted energy types such as Fire or Cold.

Also, IIRC, Collision will get multiplied on a crit due to being a flat damage bonus.

Having a +5 weapon is a sign of vanity or of a lack of regard for crunch. Maybe conspicuous consumption. Given Tarquin, probably vanity with a side of conspicuous consumption. Well, that or a sign that one had to deal with punching through DR/+5 back before updating from 3.0 to 3.5 without backup from a magic-user who'd have a magic weapon equivalent to get a +5 bonus to bring up a +1 weapon to +5 performance.

Quote Originally Posted by yuffiek View Post
    Compared to some of the other weapons the OOTS have available (Haley's +5 Icy Burst shortbow, Roy's +5(?) Undead Bane greatsword), a +5 Collision Dagger isn't much.
    A vampire has Energy Resistance 10 against Cold and Electricity(Resistances under Special Qualities). So that's either 1d6+2d10(shortbows have +2d10 on a crit) or either 1d6 or 2d10(if crit) from Icy Burst. But vampires are crit immune, so unless it activates whenever a crit would occur if not for immunity, that 1d6 cold damage is completely irrelevant.

Even with the most potent case 2d10+1d6 that's still average 11+3.5 = 14.5 damage - 10 = 4.5 damage average from that. And since it's not a composite bow, she's just got a piddly 1d6 unless I've forgotten some route she's taking advantage of to get her Dex to Damage.

Because she sure as heck isn't Sneak Attacking without some magical support.

Roy's Greatsword is the most potent weapon they have to bring to bear in melee against Durkula. I believe it's specifically Disruption instead of Undead Bane, though.

Edit: Cold is not the energy type of choice against Undead, though. Skeletons, the generally superior mindless minion type, are completely immune to Cold. And IIRC it's fairly commonly resisted by most Undead besides.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    V is avoiding making assumptions about Durkon based on his vampirism. The assumption that Durkon merits investigating because he is a vampire is an assumption based on Durkon's vampirism. Ergo, V is not investigating Durkon. And good on her.
    You mean fie on V. Not investigating a new party member whose loyalty and aims are uncertain at best is just plain silly.

Especially when there's no Metagamium to allow it to be handwaved in interest of playing sometime this century and in this sort of context where a responsible person could be trusted to actually resolve the matter rather than leave it to escalate whether out of misunderstanding or malevolence, considering that Haley and Roy have no interest in actually resolving the matter themselves despite it being a problem waiting to grow into a powder keg.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    ...which is a fact that is true, but also a fact that no one (including Belkar) knows or has any reasonable grounds to suspect.
    No, I'm pretty sure being raised as an Undead that's not a Necropolitan is reasonable grounds to suspect that sort of thing. Largely because those, at least, are explicitly just switching someone from living to undead, nothing more, nothing less.

Considering Belkar's awareness of such obscurity as the walls, floor, and ceiling getting in an argument over which one gets to eat the adventurers, Helms of Opposite Alignment and the potentially long-running problems arising from them and other magical forms of alignment change (not every PC is stupid enough that their EVUL version would suicidally attack the party)
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-08-14 at 01:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by yuffiek View Post

For a +7 total weapon bonus, and the fact Tarquin is EXTREMELY genre savvy, I would have expected something likea +2 Keen, Collision, Psychokinetic Burst dagger (1d4+2+5+1d4 force, 17-20 crit threat, +1d6 force on critical hit)
    It's a sidearm.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

In regards to Tarquin, as I see it, the dagger was one of his backup weapons. His axe was the go to "I wanna smack something into next week" fun type weapon. As a point of reference to back this up, when he was fighting with Elan, he was more or less toying with him. It never looked like he tried to really go all out with it. But when a real fight came down, out came the axe.

If his backup weapon was the equivalent of a +7 weapon, who knows what the primary ended up at.

Also, the dagger was his 'walking around town, all casual like' weapon as well, judging by the scenes in the EoB. Just like a spellcaster might have a 'Town List' memorized for when they're not expecting an all-out throw down, so to might Tarquin have a casual like weapon for when he is walking around.

That it is plenty deadly enough to do the job there also says something about where Tarquin was in the grand scheme of things.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Efficiency enhancements = euphemism for enhancement bonuses, I believe. So it's a +5 Collision Dagger, since it's not an epic weapon. If it were an epic weapon, those go up to... +10? Yeah, +10, but then that'd cost a cool 2 million before factoring in Collision and the 302 for the masterwork dagger as the base.
    Actually:

There is no limit to an epic magic weapon’s enhancement bonus, to the market price modifier of an epic magic weapon special ability, or to the total of an epic magic weapon’s enhancement bonus and market price modifier.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #197

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Actually:

There is no limit to an epic magic weapon’s enhancement bonus, to the market price modifier of an epic magic weapon special ability, or to the total of an epic magic weapon’s enhancement bonus and market price modifier.
    Ahh, accursed skimming and looking for the first table available. Well, we know it's not epic, at any rate, since it didn't kill Durkula by doing a retroactively ever increasing amount of damage based upon its constantly growing enhancement bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    He obviously picked it up at the local Aberzombie & Fitch store. It's in many of the same shopping malls as Quest Buy, don'tcha know.
    You spelled that wrong. It should be "Aberzombie and Lich".
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I dub the Dagger 'Last Breath Ever', it has been drawn!!!
    I have a signature now!!!

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    Someday, Belkar's going to get ahold of a ring of mind blank. That should change things considerably.
    Maybe when they finally kill Tarquin, he can take his?

Quote Originally Posted by nrwillick View Post
    Mordenkainen's magical wrap?
    Is that what you cast before Mordenkainen's Lucubration and Mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Actually, the first plastics were made with plant esters. Which I can totally see Laurin doing, just to make elves and druids cry about the poor mutilated plants.
    I can imagine her debating internally over this. Whether to wreck the plants and have to endure the... bold weapon fashion statement, or whether to leave it.

But don't Elves believe a slain animal disrupts nature more than a harvested plant? Why not actual leather?
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle View Post
    I'm surprised none of the other characters are worried about Belkar's mental health, given that he keeps jumping over the side of the airship.
    I think the rest of the Order decided my ago how mentally healthy Belkar is. (The answer is "not very")

Quote Originally Posted by Domino Quartz View Post
    You spelled that wrong. It should be "Aberzombie and Lich".
    This made my morning.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

I liked this comic - character development, comedy, a cat, expansion on the current plot ... everything was good.

The bit of character development that I have to say that stuck out for me was the last panel - Belker actually came back seemingly just to say 'thanks' it is seemed fully natural, something unimaginable a few hundred panels ago.

23. - Top - End - #203

RedWizardGuy

Also, Giant, not to nitpick... but technically I think it should be, "it's fine; thanks" with a semicolon instead of a comma. Granted it has been a while, but I'm fairly certain anyway.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    Also, Giant, not to nitpick... but technically I think it should be, "it's fine; thanks" with a semicolon instead of a comma. Granted it has been a while, but I'm fairly certain anyway.
    Semicolons are used to join two independent clauses together. "Thanks" is not an independent clause, so a comma must be used.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Semicolons are used to join two independent clauses together. "Thanks" is not an independent clause, so a comma must be used.
    Debatable. "Thanks" is often used as an independent clause. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it usually is.

Still, there's nothing wrong with "It's fine, thanks".
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Debatable. "Thanks" is often used as an independent clause. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it usually is.

I believe theyre both correct. It would change how its spoken, but in a work of pure text both are fine.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

That's a good point. I guess I don't usually think of single words as independent clauses.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by breathandpaper View Post
    Hah, nice catch.

Why is everyone giving Roy (and the order) such a hard time for not figuring Durkon out already? I mean, I wonder what people were saying back when Nale was impersonating Elan. I was half expecting Haley to play the "I would never mistake the one I love" trope back then, not to mention Nale wasn't doing half the act Durkula is doing now.

But maybe we have higher expectations for them, now.
    Durkula has Durkon's memories and accent and hasn't skipped a beat at playing Durkon from what I've seen despite what he told Hel. There really is no reason, other than the undead status, to suspect that Durkon isn't Durkon. It appears V has enough ranks in Knowledge (Religion) to know that its a new being, but isn't especially suspicious of the creatures motives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Belkar tip-toeing to accept the dagger is a work of true art. I'm really growing fond of the art upgrade.

30. - Top - End - #210

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Stickworld doesn't have plastics, but Tarquin's lack of taste is so epic that he has a pleather-hilted dagger anyway.
    Laurin made that dagger. Maybe she Gated to the Plane of Cheap-Petroleum-Based-Immitations-of-Luxury-Goods?

Also, does if Laurin is the one who made it, does it say anything about what she actually thinks of Tarquin that she didn't use real leather?

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I find it interesting that, of all the characters, the degree to which they accept Durkula's ruse is in precise proportion to how 'good' they are in D&D terms. As if any form of prudent paranoia or lack of trust is somehow associated with evil.
    Stupid Good = Trust always

Smart Good = Trust first, but verify when able (ie Tit-for-Tat, where cooperation is the default first move)

Neutral = Verify first, do not trust until verification is complete

Evil = Do not trust, regardless of verification

The difference between Smart Good with prudent paranoia and Neutral with prudent paranoia is how nicely one treats the object of the paranoia while waiting for verification. As such we do not actually know yet if Haley, or even Roy, is exercising prudent paranoia. As HPoH has not done anything that either of them know about that would count as verification, they are treating him nicely, even if they might privately harbor suspicions and are watching him closely privately (Haley more likely so that Roy, probably). Whereas neutral V is treated HPoH standoffishly while watching for verification.

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    I'm glad the Giant explained how Tarquin could kill Nale so easily with a dagger. Makes me wonder what his axe could do!
    No actually reason that the axe is guaranteed to be superior to the dagger, though. We don't even know for sure which of the two is Tarquin's primary weapon. The only time we saw him use the axe it was when his intent was to "test" Elan and he wasn't serious. And we do see him use, and carry, the dagger more....