New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default need box quest a 12 year old can run

Alrighty, I need box quest a 12 year old can run. My oldest niece wants to try her hand at DMing and although 2nd edition with or with out skills and powers are preferred, ( we love the use of the core rules character generator) But any easy to run system would be welcome.

Suggestions please.
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: need box quest a 12 year old can run

Which system, and if it's for an existing party, what does the party look like? Oh wait, 2nd edition AD&D? Wow, that's a bit archaic. Try asking in the 2e subforum?
    Last edited by JusticeZero; 2014-08-13 at 12:59 PM.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust a 12 years old with thac0 and would recommend an edition where higher AC is better. It just feels simpler to accept and remember.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Well...

If the 12-year-old already has experience playing in 2e, that would be a reason to stick with it for her first try at DMing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe a bit much, but Night Below maybe?

EDIT: Other suggestions - The Rod of Seven Parts. Or if she is a devious little DM, Return to the Tomb of Horrors (only get this one if you don't mind dying. A lot).
    Last edited by Ajacks; 2014-08-13 at 03:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ajacks View Post
    Maybe a bit much, but Night Below maybe?

EDIT: Other suggestions - The Rod of Seven Parts. Or if she is a devious little DM, Return to the Tomb of Horrors (only get this one if you don't mind dying. A lot).
    She has some play experience 1-2 years I think. And if she wants to DM its 3-5 players that she can test herself on.

Rod of Seven parts we already ran very recently but the return to the tomb of horrors has potential, We all know there will be much crash and burn along the way and well Thats fine by us. Actually its half of the fun.
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'd look for one shots, like the old Dungeon Magazine adventures. A more episodic structure makes it easier to find a style and rhythm without feeling trapped by past decisions and calls that in retrospect were maybe not the best idea. Are those archives available anywhere?
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

In all honesty I'd suggest the D&D Starter Set (the new one). It comes with characters (which use the FREE rules on the Wizards website) and it only costs $20. You can order it online for much less, I got mine for $11.50 Canadian (about $9 US).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'm a big fan of the classics... B2, Keep on the Borderlands and T1, The Village of Hommlet. U1, the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, also has good reviews, though I haven't read it.

You might take a look over on Dragonsfoot, if you don't have these handy... Dragonsfoot has a number of TSR-era D&D modules, which will be compatible with S&P-era stuff, though may be a bit easy (since S&P stuff tends to be a bit more powerful). Dragonsfoot also has a good community specifically aimed at TSR D&D.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/ad/
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AD&D 2ed had a starter box.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDe...2_A_GenreID_E_

I recommend it. Just flat out ignore whenever it says to play the CD. You don't need that.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I'm a big fan of the classics... B2, Keep on the Borderlands and T1, The Village of Hommlet. U1, the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, also has good reviews, though I haven't read it.

I'll second either Keep on the borderlands or Village of Hommlet, as both were designed as intro modules and provide a "base of operations" for further adventures.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust a 12 years old with thac0 and would recommend an edition where higher AC is better. It just feels simpler to accept and remember.
    Yet neither I nor any people I have spoken to had problems with THAC0 when we started playing around age 12. I think you underestimate 12 year olds.

On topic, Nthing "the Keep on the Borderlands". If you don't mind helping out with some simple conversion, the old BECMI adventure "The Haunted Tower" is pretty good. It is an actual boxed set with lots of stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

d20 Re: need box quest a 12 year old can run

Dragon Mountain is a pretty cool AD&D product. It's a full 3 tier campaign in a boxed set. I own a copy I picked up for maybe $15 a few months back so it shouldn't be terribly expensive to purchase online. Additionally the introductory adventures can act as a stand-alone.

Basically you spend tier one trying to get the pieces to an artifact to help you locate Dragon Mountain, a plane-shifting mountain. Tiers two and three are actually at Dragon Mountain and the village near it.
    Last edited by Curbstomp; 2014-08-18 at 02:48 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Urg. I'm not really a fan of Dragon Mountain. Never played, it, and if I ever run it, it will need some serious tweaks. It breaks a lot of rules to make the kobolds a serious threat. Rules like size S creatures wielding size L weapons. Polymorphed creatures retaining their original form's strength bonuses. Traps that aren't "Traps," and so can't be detected with Find Traps spells, but are still totally traps. Crap like that.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Wrath of the Minotaur, Eye of the Wyvern were both D&D scenarios released on softback booklets, you should check out rpg now or drive thru rpg they often have cheap if not free scenario's you can download, print out and should be ideal including those mentioned above.