New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] ACG is now out! What strikes your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Pick a spell that's on your list, it's not the end of the world. This nerf was absolutely needed.
    Blandification! It's a 3 feat chain for 2 spells you wouldn't otherwise know. How isn't that fair?
    If "worse off" still lands me in T2, I'll take two with a side of fries, thanks.
    Power != good game design. Oracle was a misstep.
    This gives you a very situational spell at a moment's notice, and the cleric list is chock-full of those. How often do you need to remove a curse, or remove blindness/paralysis, or restore someone to flesh - not often enough to need it as a spell known, I'll bet, but when you do need it I bet you'll be very glad to have it. Especially since you don't have to trek back to Magic Mart to do it.
    I'll roll a sorcerer and solve the problem before it happens, or I'll roll a cleric and save myself the action, race choice, and complaints.
    Right, so those two classes (and the Brawler, which is their hybrid) are the kings of style feats. That's fine! Working as intended!
    Obviously the intent is to make the game worse by digging more holes in the graves of failed game designs.

People should be getting styles that function more readily with more weapons with less investment in order to improve mundane characters in terms of variety and functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    I disagree. Improved Unarmed Strike is a desirable feat for several characters that don't get it as a bonus feat (specially good for natural attack builds that want to keep iteratives). You can't get much use out of the maneuvers if you provoke every time you attack anyway. Unless your point is that unarmed strikes should never provoke... no, wait, I disagree with that as well.
    I mean, I understand where you're coming from with feat taxes, but I don't think it applies here. IUS is not like Combat Expertise, which you only ever take because it's a prerequisite for something else - it's the feat you take when you want to fight unarmed and it makes you better at fighting unarmed. Not requiring IUS for a Style feat would make no sense, IMHO.
    Thanks for the response, but that's generally wrong. Natural attack build HATE iterative attacks in PF. Their weapons loses their primary status, which costs considerable damage per hit and gives a -5 attack penalty. Almost all of them (and 100% of the good ones) have 3/4 BAB or worse, so iteratives are less of a concern and penalties tend to hurt more. Of course, there are times that you would want to pick it up for a cheap extra attack, but the math generally doesn't support it in PF.

Unarmed Attack should always provoke, and characters with that try should lose limbs. That's just my opinion of the concept for the most part. That has nothing to do with THIS. I just don't like monks in the first place. This is a feat problem, not a monk.

Why does it have to be unarmed? Where are the other style options that don't require you to train at a monastery to use? I like halberd styles and longsword fencing, for example. Where do I find the feat for a mordhau, or to jab the guy over and over with the blunt end of my polearm?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-08-15 at 05:27 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Power != good game design. Oracle was a misstep.
    I'm not seeing it. Oracle is one of the cooler classes (design wise) in pathfinder's repertoire and easily one of the best fixes around to an inelegant 3.5 class.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    I'm not seeing it. Oracle is one of the cooler classes (design wise) in pathfinder's repertoire and easily one of the best fixes around to an inelegant 3.5 class.
    What? In the end it's just another caster that does nothing to stand out from the changes made to the other classes. In terms of the classes it's easily Summoner (adds custom monster) > Alchemist (preferring vivisectionist, actually building around faulty rogue design) > Magus (these guys blend casting+fighting, crits are crazy)> Witch (wizard but with the new wizard class features are now hexes) >= Oracle (divine sorc, redundant). Compared to the other PF original classes it really falls short. Probably the best part to give it credit is that it (for the most part) gets to choose in what order it gets it class features, but most of them are locked by level anyway.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Spamalot in the Playground

Blandification! It's a 3 feat chain for 2 spells you wouldn't otherwise know. How isn't that fair?
    You can still do that - they just have to be from your list now. There's plenty of goodies there. Useful without being broken.

Anyway, just use Expanded Arcana instead and now it's one feat (or none!) for that situational spell you need. Free/low-cost Limited Wish, available to oracles/bards and at a much lower level, is worth it.

Obviously the intent is to make the game worse by digging more holes in the graves of failed game designs.
    Fine, fine, rage if you must but plenty of us are happy with this change. *shrug*

Agreed 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Fine, fine, rage if you must but plenty of us are happy with this change. *shrug*
    Can do. By that I mean I'm done for today. PF has worn me out and I haven't even played it today.

I have no clue about any change, though. I thought my complaint in the quote text was more of a status quo problem.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Spamalot in the Playground

By change I meant "I and many others are happy that Tier 0 Oracle got nerfed all the way back down to the cloying depths of utter uselessness that is Tier 2."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

A boring T2!

But that's way off topic. The style feats are the relevant complaint. *nods head*

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for putting the summaries up, Psyren. I know my next character will probably be a MoMF, once those make it onto the SRD

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm personally thrilled with the Slayer and Bloodrager, and content with the Warpriest. Those were the three I was most interested in.

I'm certainly interested in how the Arcanist would interact with Eldritch Knight, especially in the case of the Blade Adept. Any ideas? Would it gain spells from EK like a spontaneous caster, or would you be left high and dry like a prepared caster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Probably high and dry.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

So funny thing about pummeling style, the only reference to it being limited to unarmed strikes is in the fluff.

Giggity.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

So has anybody started looking at the spells yet? There are some interesting ones added, thematically at at least. I had moment where I had to laugh with my evil GM cackle after reading Curse of Burning Sleep! Details in the spoiler tag:

Spoiler: Curse of Burning Sleep
    Show

Saving Throw Will negates (see text); Spell Resistance yes
    You place a curse upon the target that triggers 1 hour after
    the next time it falls asleep. When the curse is triggered,
    the creature bursts into flame, taking 1d6 points of fire
    damage per 2 caster levels (maximum 8d6). Furthermore, it
    catches on fire, taking 2d6 points of fire damage per round
    at the end of its turn each round until the creature dies
    (Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook 444). If the target is still
    asleep, the fire damage from this spell wakes it.

That spell could wind up killing players. I wonder if we could combo it with Explosive Runes somehow...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Probably high and dry.
    Aye, an arcanist has a spellbook, not spells known. Eldritch knight only advances spells known.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    So funny thing about pummeling style, the only reference to it being limited to unarmed strikes is in the fluff.

Giggity.
    ... remember improved trip? Would have been nice. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Aye, an arcanist has a spellbook, not spells known. Eldritch knight only advances spells known.
    Mhm. I think that means they get more unique spells per day, though. Either way, the ruling is a huge pain.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

With all the different types of gishes, who's the strongest in a fight? Could a straight Magus beat up a Bloodrager? What about a Blade Adept Arcanist / Eldritch Knight? Or a Skald? How do Sorcadin / Eldritch Knights, Dragon Disciples, and traditional Wizard / Fighter / Eldritch Knights compare to the new gishes?

Has the arcanist obsoleted the sorcerer? At any level, an Arcanist X can cast just as many different spells as a Sorcerer of the same level, but can change them every day.

As an aside, I just came up with a crazy build idea that takes Arcane Bloodrager 16, learns how to cast Dimension Door, then dips Fighter 2. Using their 17th-level feat and the two bonus from Fighter 2, the character can get Dimensional Dervish at level 18 while still having +18 BAB. That's pretty cool, I think.
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-08-15 at 11:08 PM.
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know how a Bloodrager is supposed to stand up to magus.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

People on the Paizo forums seem to think Bloodrager is the most powerful class Paizo has ever released, but I have absolutely on idea why.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

People on the Paizo forums seem to think Bloodrager is the most powerful class Paizo has ever released, but I have absolutely on idea why.
    ... Please tell me you are joking. Care to elaborate?

19. - Top - End - #139

RangerGuy

Love the idea of the Brawler and the floating feats. Same for the Archetype of Fighter with floating feats. Hooray!

Lots of new stuff in this book. Gonna take a while to read everything twice.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

A Steelblood Metamagic Rager Bloodrager has full BAB and heavy armor training and can cast a Quickened or Maximized spell every* round. That's pretty scary, but that's not even close to a Magus with both metamagic reducers, who can do things like make a full attack, cast Maximized Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasp, attack again, cast Quickened Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasp, and attack again, all in the same round. The difference there is that that magus needs hard-to-find metamagic-reducing traits to pull off that kind of power, while the bloodrager comes fairly close with just a couple archetypes.

*Each Quickened spell costs 8 rounds of rage and each Maximized spell costs 6, and they have (4+ CON mod + 2*level) to spend, so at high levels they have enough to last a long while.

Personally, I'd call the most powerful class they've ever released the Arcanist, in terms of "how many problems can a member of this class answer", or a high-op magus in terms of just raw numbers.

Edit to add:

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Love the idea of the Brawler and the floating feats. Same for the Archetype of Fighter with floating feats. Hooray!

Lots of new stuff in this book. Gonna take a while to read everything twice.
    Oh, I hadn't noticed that. So did Paizo finally take a hint from Grod the Giant and base their fighter fix around floating feats? Because I'll never play a straight Fighter without this archetype ever again.
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-08-15 at 11:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

btw, Atilla, what do you think of the Primal Companion Hunter?
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    btw, Atilla, what do you think of the Primal Companion Hunter?
    I love it Overall, I was disappointed with the strength of the Hunter's Animal Foci, especially because they're a primary class feature. Not only are evolutions more fun and more adaptable, but they also turn a very weak class feature into a very strong one. Primal Companion is like that floating-feat Fighter archetype in that I consider it part of the base class and would have to have a good reason for building a character of that class without that archetype.

Edit to add: Oh, and Eldritch Scion for Magi. I just like spontaneous casting better.
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-08-15 at 11:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

... Please tell me you are joking. Care to elaborate?
    It's the Paizo forums. All they ever seem to think about is numbers. Not many of them spend time thinking about how things can be solved without HP reduction/hitting things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

How can bloodrager use rounds of rage to reduce metamagic? Also, it can only cast up to 4th. A Sorcercor gets time stop. How is bloodrager the most powerful class ever?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I love it Overall, I was disappointed with the strength of the Hunter's Animal Foci, especially because they're a primary class feature. Not only are evolutions more fun and more adaptable, but they also turn a very weak class feature into a very strong one. Primal Companion is like that floating-feat Fighter archetype in that I consider it part of the base class and would have to have a good reason for building a character of that class without that archetype.

Edit to add: Oh, and Eldritch Scion for Magi. I just like spontaneous casting better.
    Eh, I for one enjoy them all. I just don't even want to know what they were smoking when they made the Arcanist.
    "Hey, let's take a wizard and give them the best part of the sorcerer!"
    But aside from that, I've liked everything I've seen.

Oh, and also, make sure you check out the Evolved Companion feat. Which has no limit on times you can take it.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, I'm still convinced that a Human FC Sorcerer is a better day to day character than an Arcanist, especially since PF made Knowstones more accessible(Pages of spell knowledge.)
    Last edited by Zanos; 2014-08-15 at 11:47 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

27. - Top - End - #147

RangerGuy

Oh, I hadn't noticed that. So did Paizo finally take a hint from Grod the Giant and base their fighter fix around floating feats? Because I'll never play a straight Fighter without this archetype ever again.
    Not EVERY feat but the Fighter may expend a Move Action to gain a combat feat the doesn't posses. One at level 5, two at level 9, three at level 14, and any number of combats feats at level 20. This effect lasts for 1 minute. The Fighter must otherwise meet all the feat’s prerequisites. Usable a number of times per day equal to 3 + 1/2 his fighter level.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Eh, I'm still convinced that a Human FC Sorcerer is a better day to day character than an Arcanist, especially since PF made Knowstones more accessible(Pages of spell knowledge.)
    Thing is, Arcanists can still use that, and I think Int is a much better casting stat than Cha, since it gives you skill points and Knowledges.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    How can bloodrager use rounds of rage to reduce metamagic? Also, it can only cast up to 4th. A Sorcercor gets time stop. How is bloodrager the most powerful class ever?
    From the Metamagic Rager archetype:

Quote Originally Posted by ACG p.83-84
    Meta-Rage (Su): At 5th level, a metamagic rager can sacrifice additional rounds of bloodrage to apply a metamagic feat he knows to a bloodrager spell. This costs a number of rounds of bloodrage equal to twice what the spell’s adjusted level would normally be with the metamagic feat applied (minimum 2 rounds). The metamagic rager does not have to be bloodraging to use this ability. The metamagic effect is applied without increasing the level of the spell slot expended, though the casting time is increased as normal. The metamagic rager can apply only one metamagic feat he knows in this manner with each casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    It's the Paizo forums. All they ever seem to think about is numbers. Not many of them spend time thinking about how things can be solved without HP reduction/hitting things.
    It does admittedly have some pretty big numbers, but numbers are rarely everything and other classes have bigger numbers anyway.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Replaces weapon training and mastery.