New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default would you tolerate it?

i already know about how much 3rd party is disliked, and i feel like i've seen a small bit of 3.5 sources only talk. MY question is, exactly how useless would it be for me to post builds and what not using 3rd party and 3.0 material as long as anything that would require conversion to 3.5 (skills, feats, spells, etc.) was changed using 3.5 rules. i feel that as long as the 3.0 material is properly updated (and i suppose the use of 3rd party is purely opinion if it's already 3.5 compatible) there should be no problem.

ps: if any of my explanations aren't the best please excuse my incompetence, i've never really had knack for putting what's in my head into words >_<

thoughts?
    Last edited by Raishoiken; 2014-08-14 at 03:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: would you tolerate it?

I think you are asking two questions ?

There are rules for updating 3.0 material to 3.5 — so this should be fine.

3rd party material is much more variable in quality and the books can be obscure. I can't really make a general comment on such a wide ranging set of sources.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

For 3.0 material, there's an official 3.5 update booklet for the 3.0 books that didn't get all of their classes, feats, items, and monsters reprinted in some 3.5 book. If something is not there and was not reprinted in a 3.5 book, you may want to check the Dragondex to see if it was updated to 3.5 in an issue of Dragon magazine. You should be able to google 'free game manuals' to find a specific issue, but the download speed is horrendous.

For third party d20 material, you should provide a link to whatever you're using if it can be found online (do not post pirated links). However, expect a general consensus of 'don't use third party' since just about anything you would ever want to make can already be done using official material.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I think you are asking two questions ?

There are rules for updating 3.0 material to 3.5 — so this should be fine.

3rd party material is much more variable in quality and the books can be obscure. I can't really make a general comment on such a wide ranging set of sources.

it's just that if i remember correctly i've seen comments along the lines of "but that's a 3.0 thing so...", that's what the 3.0 part of this is about

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post

For third party d20 material, you should provide a link to whatever you're using if it can be found online (do not post pirated links). However, expect a general consensus of 'don't use third party' since just about anything you would ever want to make can already be done using official material.
    probably yeah, but i haven't seen most of the builds on here yet. i assume at least a few of the things i build have already been covered in a build somewhere : P
    Last edited by Raishoiken; 2014-08-14 at 04:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    it's just that if i remember correctly i've seen comments along the lines of "but that's a 3.0 thing so...", that's what the 3.0 part of this is about
    Officially, 3.0 material is still usable in 3.5 games, but if there's a 3.5 version of it that's what you have to use.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    it's just that if i remember correctly i've seen comments along the lines of "but that's a 3.0 thing so...", that's what the 3.0 part of this is about.
    Well if you were running 3.0 then 3.0 material would be fine. Very few people still play 3.0 however, moreover if the thread is 3.5 specific then that 3.0 comment would follow. You would get the same sort of comment if you posted a 3.5 based response in a PF thread.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook