New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Purifier/Gifted Blade question

I've a simple question regarding the interactions of two Archetypes, the Gifted Blade (a soulknife archetype) and the Purifier (a paladin archetype).

Purifiers, among other things, have this:
    Manifesting: At 4th level, the purifier gains manifesting as a gifted blade of one level lower. This replaces spells.

Now, my question is this: Do they stack, and if so, how?

That is to say, for example, someone had a character that was a Purifier 4/Gifted Blade 3, would they have manifesting as:
    A 4th level gifted blade: They stack, and since both are the 1st level of gifted blade manifesting they stack to 2.
    A 3rd level gifted blade and a 3rd level gifted blade: They don't stack, which at later levels means they have power points but at this point they only get the bonus power points.
    or
    A 6th level gifted blade: The logic being they stack as gifted blade levels for the purposes of manifesting.

For a 20th level character, split evenly, a Purifier 10/Gifted Blade 10 would have manifesting as either a gifted blade 15, gifted blade 9 and gifted blade 10, or gifted blade 19.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Purifier/Gifted Blade question

By RAW, I don't believe independent sources of class features stack progression by default unless there's a general rule for that feature, or else the feature itself has explicit text to that effect.

But assuming you choose to allow stacking, I believe the phrasing would mean that as long as you have at least 4 levels in Paladin, you manifest as a Gifted Blade of [Gifted Blade Level + (Paladin Level - 1)]. Thus, if you were a Paladin 4 / Gifted Blade 3, you would have an effective Gifted Blade level of 6.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Your power points would stack (i.e. form a single pool,) but nothing else. At the end of the day they are still separate classes. You would have two different manifester levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Normally, I know such things don't stack but I figured I would ask since both refer to the exact same thing for the purposes of manifesting, I could see one could argue they do stack. Certainly would be convenient.