New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Love at first sight

Unrequited love has been the basis for many a tale. (Eponine in Les Miserable)

If we agree love exists , however we define it, it may begin in one of three ways:

1) You dislike the person upon first meeting them, and change your mind over time. ( "Pride and Prejudice")

2) You like them but are unsure until future time together ( most common)

3) You realize quickly how special they are and continue to love them.
    (Love at first sight)

We may argue of the percentages of how people end up in love, but there will be people who guess correctly right away about their loves.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2014-08-17 at 02:40 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Then there's the Archibald Cunningham school of thought:

Love is a dung hill, Betty, and I am but a [rooster] that climbs upon it to crow.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I believe in lust at first sight.

Love... I think that takes a little longer.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

annoyed Re: Love at first sight

Say that to the guy who went to hell after his beloved one who did not even knew he existed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2014-08-17 at 03:56 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

If you continue to observe them as they talk and do other things, that gives a better idea. I also wouldn't qualify that as love at first sight, as you are given much more facts than what you could possible be given for seeing that person for a few seconds when they're on a night out. You can assess some things by whether they look happy or unhappy in the context of the environment, and what they're wearing, but it's not enough.

Infatuation at first sight probably exists. I doubt true love at first sight does.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

You can't possibly be in love with someone you don't know.

So, definitely, no.

Lust at first sight, sure, infatuation at first sight, sure. Love-if-you-have-a-weird-(IMO)-personal-definition-of-love, maybe too.

I have a picky definition. For example, I spent two years in a relationship with my first ex without being able to tell her I loved her, because I wasn't sure I did (we were great matches on paper and generally enjoyed the time spent together). Turned out, I didn't.

I loved my third ex. Hope to feel that again someday.

I know it's something that can be developed. In my case at least. I think everyone might be slightly different there -- to each their own. One thing is sure though, if you're using the same definition as I do, love "at first sight" isn't possible.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    You can't possibly be in love with someone you don't know.

So, definitely, no.
    To expand on this, you know literally a fraction of what there is to know about someone when you first meet. Most crushes and infatuations result from our minds taking that little fraction, and filling in the blanks with what we would like to be there.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Technically speaking, love at first sight should exist. Anyone who has a child knows that.
    And here we have a winner. This. I have loved my boys since the very moment they came into the world.

I've also experienced the shocking jolt of so-called love at first sight. I never saw her again after that short time because it was at a gas station and I think the plates of the car she was in were from out of state. Just one of those chance meetings. I wouldn't call it love, and it wasn't lust. I most certainly know lust. And this wasn't it. I don't know rightly what it was, nor can I explain it, but it certainly ranks a word of its own. The associations of the whole word love are so vague anyway. "I love you." "I love pizza." Real specific word, right?

The only thing that the two types of experiences (seeing girl, seeing sons born) had in common was the absolute overwhelming shock (in a good way) of it all.

Anyhow, that's all I know about that... whatever it is.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    The only thing that the two types of experiences (seeing girl, seeing sons born) had in common was the absolute overwhelming shock (in a good way) of it all.
    There is a reason arrows and lightning bolts show up time and again in reference to this kind of event.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't feel love at first sight with my wife so much as an instinctual knowing that she was going to be mine forever. The love came later, much later, due to several very bad relationships that ended up with me being cheated on, twice with guys that I thought were supposed to be very good friends of mine. Once the love did come though, it was like a massive floodgate opened up all at once. I even remember the moment. We were in my bedroom laying down, just talking and making out, and I remember looking into her eyes, and something kinda "clicked" inside of my brain, and my heart suddenly started pounding real hard and I kinda lost my breath a bit.