New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Get In Loser We're Going Shopping - SotVD

Kyoko seems uncomfortable... "Ah, sorry, I was rambling, wasn't I? Anyway, I've got what I came here for. And I do, Lenora, yes." Asami flashes a smile. "Actually, I don't think any of you have seen me in store-bought clothes yet, besides maybe the school uniform. Of course, that's because I've been trying to dress more... anyway. Shame that I have to change that today, but things will be back to normal once I have a shot at the school's sewing machines if we hit a fabric store before leaving. Ah... if there's anything you'd like made or fixed, I'd be happy to help with it. Help by teaching and guiding, I mean." With that, she's reached the counter and swiftly pays for the clothes in coins that she digs out of her bag, then rushes to the changing rooms to swap into them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    She's trying to imply that she wanted to 'look her best' when first meeting everyone. The simple fact is, store-bought clothes are generally much cheaper than the fabric required to make their equivalent. It's only 'nice' clothes that are cheaper to make, or clothes in exceptional sizes, or custom-tailored clothes that might not exist in stores or on mass production lines. So, she's been wearing 'nice' clothes so far, to make a good impression, and usually tries to do so.
    Last edited by Kioku; 2014-09-09 at 08:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    "It looks very nice, too! You've got the eye for it."
    The rich girl processes what Miyuki just told her. Her expression is unwavering, she still bears a faint, melancholic smile, even when she asks finally, without an ounce of mockery or haughtiness, only a belated realization: "... you guys can't actually afford what's here, isn't it? Huh, did you just hear someone cry out for help, or is it just me?"
    Back at the fancy shop, Miyuki glances at the price tag on the white dress she tried on before, and goes paler than usual.

"Eep! T-this is..." She holds the dress carefully, as if frightened she might damage it and end up paying for it. "W-well, it was f-fun trying it on! Now I'll just s-spare my wallet..."
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

As they were finishing up at the second hand shop Kyoko continued the conversation.

"Hmm, I think it's cool that you can make your own stuff. One of Mari- uh, a friend from my old school was really into that kind of stuff, but the stuff she made didn't really look as professional as your clothes. I didn't see any need to replace them"

As long as Lenora doesn't choose anymore stores, that is...

Feeling a bit more confident, she asked "Uh, actually, I've been wondering what's with the arm things?"

---Some Amount of Shopping Later---

After having spent the morning visiting whatever shops they'd come across, Kyoko had picked up a couple bags of casual clothes from various sales and was beginning to get tired of walking. After letting out a sigh, she turned to address the group.

"Hey, why don't we take a break for a bit. We could stop at the food court and see where we still want to go! Oh, maybe Alice is still there too!"
    Last edited by banthesun; 2014-09-13 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the break
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

4. - Top - End - #94

Tsubaki looks at Lenora with a neutral face that turns into a smile. "That actually sounds like a great idea to me! I already have the clothes I need and no real reason to dress up. I do want to buy a garlic plant later though. I need the leaves."
    Lovely Mokou avatar by Kurien.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure. Who here cooks, by the way? And what kind of cuisine? I can't cook, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying good food."
    The truth is more along the lines that she doesn't cook.
    So much untapped potential for mouth-watering delights or deadly dishes. Let's not kid ourselves, the dishes would likely be deadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Feeling a bit more confident, she asked "Uh, actually, I've been wondering what's with the arm things?"
    Asami puts her hands on her arms gently, and just shakes her head. "Nothing really. I just like them, it adds texture."

---

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    "Sure. Who here cooks, by the way? And what kind of cuisine? I can't cook, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying good food."
    Asami giggles at Lenora and gives a small wave. "If you mean cook without heat, or something I can just set a timer and leave it alone, I can. More so though, I'm fairly certain that Callum's display in the kitchen was indicative of something."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Callum shrugs nonchalantly, but his blushing and the lack of focus in his eyes shows he’s a little uncomfortable with the attention.

My family is a little chaotic. My dad travels a lot for work and my mother is probably more deadly with a spatula than a crossbow. It’s against the Geneva Convention to let her cook. My older sister will eat pretty much anything and her cast-iron stomach means she can endure my mom’s cooking, but my younger sister is very picky. Someone had to pick up the slack.

More comfortable after giving an explanation, he looks at Lenora, quite happy with the conversation topic and enquires,

Why do you ask?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

"Getting to know each other, that's all. Though we already knew you were a good cook, Callum!"
    It's her turn to talk about her family, she takes it. "My parents don't cook. I don't believe my father could, he was not the kind of man who does. I don't cook, either."
    And it was already over and very boring. Quick, add something tangentially related to the subject. Something sensible that won't emphasize the class difference.
    "... I... err... I like making myself toasts once in a while. Especially with foie gras..."
    Wait, foie gras is expensive. Abort!
    "... fffFffried vegetables."
    That doesn't sound very good.
    "... fffrench ffri... no, no, no."
    Socializing is hard.
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

9. - Top - End - #99

Tsubaki laughs at Lenora's attempts to sound normal. "Don't worry about it, Rich-girl. We get that you grew up different than us. You really shouldn't try so hard to sound like something you're not. It just makes you look silly. I myself can only really make basic food. My sister cooked for me when I lived at home and when she was helping me get used to the apartment I lived in before I moved into the dorms. I can afford to go eat places though, so it's not a big deal. Some foods can even be eaten raw, so that's a bonus."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyoko couldn't help but giggle at Lenora's distress. It was a bit embarrassing that Lenora was apparently censoring herself for them, but it looked like it was more embarrassing for her. Kyoko was glad Tsubaki was the one reassuring her.

"So Callum can cook better than all of us? That doesn't seem right..." Kyoko paused for a minute, thinking. "Hey, I bet if we all pooled our skills we could make something pretty good! We should have a cook-off sometime, all of us versus Callum! To prove we can cook!" she suggested.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Lenora blushes furiously, but states deadpan: "I don't see what you are talking about!"
    She jumps on the proposition: "A cook-off? All against one? Fairer than it sounds, if it's against the guy who cooked what we had today. I've never done it, but I've seen how to cook meat and fish perfectly, so hopefully, I'll remember the details."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Callum chuckled warmheartedly.

"I have to admit, I like that idea. I have to admit, I can't cook Japanese food very well. That's something I still need to learn."

Tapping his left index finger against his chin, he adds,

"I wouldn't mind learning some new things and it's wouldn't be a bad idea for me to train some sou-chefs. I can take care of breakfast by myself, but dinner for a dorm this big could get difficult and get in the way of trainningor studying come exam time."
    Last edited by CGDG; 2014-09-17 at 06:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excellent! It's decided then! We'll have to organise a time for it later it later"

Kyoko made a mental note that Callum didn't know how to cook japanese food, that could give them an edge

"Anyway, lets figure out where to go next! I'm not really sure where you could get a garlic plant... and did someone mention wanting to go to a bookshop, or was I just thinking of Alice?"
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Asami blinks rapidly, watching the exchange about a cook-off. "Decided? Did everyone here just get pulled into this? We're going to end up with way too much food..."

15. - Top - End - #105

Tsubaki waves her hands in front of her. "Hey, I told you that I can only cook basic things. There's not a chance we'd win with my skills." She sighs as she tries to think of where she wants to go. "I can manage the garlic plant myself later, I suppose. I'd like to go to the bookstore though. My little sister keeps telling me she wants me to try out this 'gothic lolita' style or whatever, so if any of you know where I can find that stuff, I'd like to see it and pass judgement to her before she tries to dress me up again..."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Callum puts his hand up, as if asking permission to talk in class, before speaking,

"I get up early in the morning to go shopping for fresh meat and vegetables to cook with. A garlic plant is the easiest thing in the world for me to get. If I can't get my hands on one, we can just grow one from an extra clove of garlic. It's super simple."
    Last edited by CGDG; 2014-09-20 at 09:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"Eheheh, come on, it'll be fun!"

Kyoko grinned mischeviously and rubbed the back of her neck. She'd deliberately jumped in before anyone could object, and she was feeling rather cheeky now.

Might as well make the most of it!

"Here! You don't have anything, so you can help carry this!" She says, presenting her bags to Callum. She'd been carrying all her purchases in her right hand, and the handles had all gotten tangled together, and she thrust the whole bundle at him.

"Hmmm, that 'gothic lolita' stuff is a Harajuku thing, right? I dunno, but I think we could find something round here. I think I remember seeing a bookshop or something earlier though, so we could totally stop there next."

-----At the bookstore-----

When the group reached the bookstore, it became immediately clear why it had stuck in Kyoko's memory. Large posters advertising an event for some book with a very long name plastered the storefront, and a crowd had gathered around a table near the front.

"Woah, it wasn't this crowded when we went by earlier, was it? We should probably stick together if we're going in."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So I took the liberty of introducing a new complication to the 'Miyuki and Tsubaki buy magical girl manga' subplot. Hope it makes things more interesting.

And feel free to continue the conversation before the break, I'm just trying to increase the density of the thread.

(If you want, you can even add new location breaks!)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Callum accepts the bags with a sigh and mumbles to himself,

"Yep, just like home."

19. - Top - End - #109

Asami spares a pitying glance for Callum, but can't really do anything more with the various stacks of cloth arranged in bags that she's burdened with. "Short break... hey, does it occur to anyone else that we'll be *living together* for at least the next year or so? I for one intend to see quite a lot of each of you and wouldn't mind sharing some history as a better foundation. Where's everyone from?"

---Bookstore---

"Eep... do you suppose there's a signing going on or something, or just general excitement? Either way it should be less crowded once we get inside, past all this."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Following the other, Callum catches the conversation and begins to join in before being overwhelmed by the sight before him.

"I'm originally from --- Jesus Christ!"

Realizing what just came out fo his mouth, he recovers a couple seconds too late.

"Uh...I mean, I'm originally from Canada. I travelled a lot with my folks and spent most of my high school years in England, in bording school. Trust me, not as cool as the TV shows make it seem.
    "
    After a brief pause he adds,

"AND, there are an unbelievable amount of people in that store."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

"Another North American! I was born in California, but I moved permanently to Japan before I started going to school. My mother is Japanese American, and my father signed a big contract with one of the biggest Japanese electronics company back then, that's why."
    The thick crowd makes Lenora a bit uneasy. She does her best to stay close to the few people she knows, and kind of mumbles, complaining about it.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Callum perks up a big at the mention of North America and California.

"Ha, nce. I don't mean to sound like a dork but where-abouts in Cali? I was always jealous of the weather their. I'm originally from northern Ontario. The weather their sucks, but sometims I still miss the cold...not often though."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Miyuki balks at the crowd, but soon draws close to Tsubaki and discreetly whispers to her.

"I've got n-no idea what's going on here, but... d-do you still want to go look for that manga?"
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

24. - Top - End - #114

Tsubaki grabs onto Miyuki's side and smiles. "It's a lot of people, but it's for manga, Miyuki. Surely you understand why we have to get it. Don't forget to grab something for yourself, my treat."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excuse us! Excuse us!"

Squeezing into the bookstore was trouble, but Asami had been at least half right; the crowd was definitely thinner inside, but there were still a lot of people. Kyoko didn't feel free to break away from the group while there were so many other groups browsing the manga and light novel sections, so she turned back to Tsubaki.

"Ahh, what was it you were here for?"
    Spoiler
    Show