New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default A Storm of Blood - IC Thread

AC 298, Sometime during the First Moon

Drakesgrave Manor Rookery

A hunched man with a crooked back and jittering, unsteady balance, moves among the nests in the Sheltered Rookery atop the Manor Keep. A young boy keeps busy nearby, cleaning the inevitable droppings from such a bold and proud collection of well-tended ravens. A large raven, bold in its perch in the oversized opening that overlooks the Rookery, caws at the hunched old man.

Running his fingers anxiously through his hair, Maester Alber tilted his head upward at an uncomfortable angle, squinting at the daylight that beamed in, projecting the interloping raven in a sharp silhouette.

"Hmm. Welcome home, Huber." The old Maester gave the favored raven a toothless smile that bordered on the senile. "I'm sorry for sending you to that witless lad for keeping. But I see you've found your way back, and with news, no less." He looked to the boy. "Lend a hand here, Huber has a message."

After looking at the note, he commanded the boy to send word to the Lord and to everyone in the keep. Prince Joffrey's Name Day was to be celebrated throughout the Seven Kingdoms, by order of King Robert and House Baratheon of King's Landing. Lord Bryce Caron has taken haste upon himself to rush to King's Landing to offer the respect of the Marchlords, and to compete at a Tournament to be held at King's Landing in the young prince's honor.

Drakesgrave Manor Grounds

Dieter tugged at his fancy court cloak, pulling it closer around him as he appproached the entrance of the manor. The thing once looked grand in its original crimson hue, but it had patches of mismatching colors that ruined the effect. Hilda wanted to pay for a new cloak, but Dieter refused to waste money on such frivolities. One good cloak should suffice for any man, he told her, just like one good wife.

The pounding of horse hooves could be felt before they were heard, and Dieter looked back onto the winding path and saw a free rider approaching. He squinted his eyes and saw that it was none other than Joen, the leader of the Free Tenants. He gave the man a nod of respect. The villagers and the free tenants seldom saw eye to eye, but Joen himself was a hard working man, and that sort of thing went far in Dieter's eyes.

As Dieter entered the Keep, Joen arrived outside and dismounted his shaggy and well-worked horse, only to follow Dieter inside shortly after.

Drakesgrave Manor Keep, the Lord's Court

The Manor's solid stone construction was an impressive defensive structure, and the halls were manned by the garrison guardsmen, and by a handful of servants who attended the Lord and his family. The Court was where one could find the Seat of Drakesgrave, where the Lord himself would hear complaints and serve the King's Justice.

This was one such day, where Lord Mathias was sitting at Court. He had instructed his sons Ser Trimmack and Ser Gallus to stand at his sides as advisors, Trimmack on the right, and Gallus on the left. Often times he had Ser Guntar or his half-brother Oswin at his left (his father preferred to have Maestar Alber, but Mathias' respect for the old man was diminished by the Maester's decline in faculties), but since Gallus' return to the Keep, his second son had taken the spot exclusively, cutting out the First Bloodstorm Knight and the Dark Bastard from that spot of honor. Oswin was not left out, entirely though, he was asked to attend to act as Bailiff for the proceedings.

The first complaint to be heard was a servant girl who claimed she had been unwelcomely molested by one of the Bloodstorm Knights. The matter was resolved without a finding, as Mathias refused to hear the complaint unless the girl could find a male or married woman relation to stand with her and witness her honor. She vowed to do so swiftly, and the next case was heard.

Dieter entered the court, trying to look his best in his mended courtly cloak. He bowed deeply. "My Lord, thank you for hearing me." He had a certain common accent, and though he did dress up for court, he didn't try to conceal his smallfolk nature by fancying up his speech. He rose to his feet when acknowledged and continued. "The Umbra Village council, to which you are the Lord and Protector, humbly requests that a local Tourney be held to celebrate Prince Joffrey's Name Day. To do so would bring honor to your House, and much needed trade and commerce to the village."

Lord Mathias leaned forward a bit and stroked his graying goatee in consideration of the request. "Tournaments are quite expensive, especially when a prize must be offered. They do bring honor and prestige to the hosting House, its true. Our coffers are growing a bit spare, and I question whether it is wise to spend a good portion of what remains in our war chest at this time." He then directed his attention to his two advisors, seeking their counsel in this matter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: A Storm of Blood - IC Thread

Trimmack listens intently to each matter brought to the attention of the Lord. Hearing Dieter's request he is quite torn. Trimmack looks to his left to see if Gallus will speak first and seeing that he has not, begins to speak himself. "Captain Dieter," Trimmack begins a nod and smile, "thank you for bringing the request of the Umbra Village Council to our ears". Trimmack, having a strong interest in the affairs of the House, knows exactly how the coffers of the House are looking. They were not quite as bleak as his father let on, but it was also not far from the truth. The eldest son thinks for a moment, before responding to his father. "Lord Mathias, it is true that our coffers are not overflowing at this time. That being said, Captain Dieter and the council are wise to understand the benefits that such an investment can bring to not only area, but House Musgood as well. My concern is, do we know what surrounding areas are holding a Tournament as well? With Lord Caron surely on his way to the King's Tournament in King's Landing and many other Houses attending as well, I fell it is less of a decision of do we hold a Tournament at all, and more a question of should it be local Tournament, or a regional Tournament for the entire Stormlands to partake in. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not been made aware of any regional Tournaments planned for Prince Joffrey's Name Day. Nonetheless My Lord, I feel that a Tournament, whether at the local, or regional level, would be a great boon to both House Musgood and its holdings." Trimmack turns the floor over to his brother Gallus, patiently anticipating his input.
    "If you get yourself killed trying to rule the world, I will personally break every bone in your body."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Gallus considered the question a moment as well, he knew if Lord Caron was attending the tournament in Kings landing then there were good odds most of the knights with a taste for such things would be as well, "I agree that a tournament would bring respect and trade to our lands, with the larger tournament in King's Landing drawing away most of the knights and nobles who enjoy such things I fear we would have relatively few men stepping up to the lists at this time, a melee or archery competition would almost certainly be required for those who traveled to get a show worthy of the effort." He cast a friendly smile at Captain Dieter, "It would also allow our brave men at arms lacking in title or the security to pay any potential ransom of horse and armor a chance to test themselves as well." Gallus wasn't fond or tournaments himself, but he understood their importance to both the nobles and the smallfolk, and at least, he mused, with most of the truely skilled knights at a higher profile tournament he might not embarrass his family as completely.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oswin Storm's eyes dart around the hall looking always for poorly hidden signs, seeking some advantage. He says little, knowing his new place in the House the sons were well above him now and so his piece was silence until asked. Oswin could see both the idea for and against the idea of the tournament, though for is own sake he knew which option would be most advantageous. The Dark Bastard turns to face his half-brother and raises his left eyebrow, his usual indication that he has something to add.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Drakesgrave Manor, the Lord's Court

Dieter stood there before the court, watching each advisor speaking in turn. It was clear to anyone without a deficiency in Awareness that Dieter wasn't personally invested in the decision of the court, and that likely he was here on recommendation of others in the village as their unfortunate spokesman.

Lord Mathias considered things for a moment, and then nodded his head. His blue eyes studied Dieter distantly before he addressed everyone present. "It's true that some knights will rush to King's Landing, but its quite a long trip, and not many can afford the cost of the journey, as well as the time that would be spent away, combined with the very likely cost of losing one's horse and armor for being unseated by some of the best knights in the seven kingdoms. I'm sure if we hosted a local tourney, we'd get a reasonable turn-out, considering those things. I'm more worried about the cost. Can we afford it? Would it be better to send someone to Nightsong to ask Ser Rolland if they could bear the burden of hosting one there?"

He looked to Oswin, and noted the eyebrow. The corner of Mathias' mouth twitched a bit and he nodded at his younger half-brother, recognizing him as it was clear Oswin had something to say. "Yes?"
    Last edited by Sorceress; 2014-08-16 at 12:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oswin's eyebrow lowered as he was acknowledged and he turned slightly to address not just his half-brother but also the Captain and Joen, "The idea of a tournament is wise for the reasons presented by Captain Dieter and your sons, but they seem to have missed the real boon a tournament could provide. I can understand the Captain failing to mention it, but Trimmack especially should have raised the issue. This tournament would be an excellent opportunity to find your sons "proper" noble wives, and gain the' House new alliances. After all leaving young men, or old men for that matter, to their own devices can lead to...issue.

Here the Dark Bastard pauses as his mouth forms a predatory grin and his eyes dart among the the three Musgoods, gauging their reaction to his statement before continuing.

"As for the cost well there are several options available, the most sensible being that since Umbra Village has suggested this tournament, they help shoulder some of the cost of it. After all they will be the ones to benefit most from having it here. Perhaps the Free Tenants as well, since their representative is here perhaps we should ask his input on the idea."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Drakesgrave Manor, the Lord's Court

Lord Mathias looked from the Dark Bastard to his two sons. Proper wives. Like his wife. Like Fione. A loveless marriage -- when a light finally shined, it was only in time to be cruelly, so cruelly extinguished. He looked back to his half-brother. "I suppose your point should be considered, but everyone will be consulted before an arrangement for marriage is made. Especially my boys."

Mathias smiled, weakly. "If it was discovered that the tournament was sponsored by our sworn smallfolk, we'd be laughingstocks. Any further thought of imposing additional fees or taxes on our people ends right now."

He looked to everyone gathered. "So shall we host this tournament here, or shall we send someone to Nightsong to ask the court to host it there?"

Drakesgrave Manor, Just Outside the Lord's Court

Ser Watt had volunteered to stand guard outside the court, it was a good place to see friendly faces, and to keep track of what was going on in the community. After offering comforting words to the girl who was the first to stand before the Lord, Watt ushered Dieter in to the care of Oswin "the Dark Bastard" Storm, who was acting as a bailiff (something that Watt used to enjoy doing, but since Ser Gallus' return to Drakesgrave, Oswin had mostly been taking care of that, and Ser Watt was relegated to his spot outside the court).

Joen seemed slightly upset, and when Watt made an inquiry as to his well-being, Joen opened up a bit. "Missing livestock among the peakside farmsteads. Goats, sheep, mostly. Outlaws spotted. More than the usual poaching. Folks think they're from the other side of the mountains."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Trimmack nods to his father. "While it is not without costs, I believe that the benefits do outweigh those costs. I, for one, am for us hosting the Tournament." Whether his father would admit it or not, Oswin made a good point. Trimmack did need to be looking towards the future and find a prospective bride.
    "If you get yourself killed trying to rule the world, I will personally break every bone in your body."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Watt frowned as the poor girl strode away from him, her accusations still unaddressed. It didn't sit right with him to leave the matter like that, simply because she hadn't her father with her. The peasant-knight was far from a smart man, but even he knew that people's memories faded quickly. If you didn't talk to people right away they probably wouldn't be able to tell you what happened. In this case, if the Lord didn't have a word with the tavern-keeper and the other knights soon they'd have no hope of remembering what Ser Hugh was up to last night.

If they were willing to say at all, of course. The law was harsh to rapers, and it was easy for a man to lie for fear for his friend. Watt didn't think the lad would've ever gone that far, of course, but still. Sad as it was to say even if the Lord cared enough to shame one of his precious knights, Alyn's chances of seeing justice done were slim. It was as like that her father or brother would find themselves on the end of a Bloodstorm Knights' fists as it was that Hugh would have to pay her for her troubles.

His mood brightens, however, when he spots Joen. He was a good sort, Joen. The troubled look on his face has Watt's own drawn in sympathy. As Watt hears of the other man's troubles, he nods along, trying to remember the lands where the killers might have fled to.

"We'll have to give the scum a seeing to then, eh? I'll ask Lord Mathias to join whoever he sends up for the job, for whatever that's worth." He says reassuringly to the man, feeling rather unkindly towards the Dornish raiders who were behind his suffering.

If the sandy bastards thought they could rampage in the Stormlands and get away with it, they had another thing coming!
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2014-08-17 at 01:52 PM.
    Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Mathias considered his son for a long moment. Tournaments required a great deal of planning. Hiring people, handling monies and exchanges, and arranging for credits. They required communicating with other domains and providing hospitality and respect for the visiting nobles and knights. It was a big responsibility.

"Very well then. Ser Trimmack, you shall be, for the planning, execution, and conclusion of this event, the Master of Tournaments. You have my authorization to wield the authority of my Lordship in the lawful execution of your duties, according to my will and in the Andal tradition. Let it be witnessed here in my Court, where my word is law. May the blessings of the Seven guide you in your duty, as in all things."

He turned his noble gaze upon Dieter, and the rest of the court -- his advisors and the bailiff. "Are there any other comments or concerns on this matter that should be addressed?"
    Last edited by Sorceress; 2014-08-17 at 11:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Drakesgrave Manor Keep, Just Outside the Lord's Court

Joen nodded to Watt, there was a slight uplifting at the corners of his mouth -- it was about as close to a genuine smile as anyone would get from the stoic freerider. "The mountain peaks are no place for civilized men, Ser Watt. The only thing you'd find up there are wild goats and outlaws. I doubt these raiders are any organized force -- they're as likely as despised on the other side of the mountains are they are by us -- but in my mind that makes them worse than if they were part of some Dornishman invasion. We should hunt them like you'd hunt a rabid fox that was stealing your hens. I'm hoping his Lordship sees things the same way as you. But you know how things look different from up high, don't you?"

12. - Top - End - #12

The large man chuckled at Joen's wry tone, a warm reverberating sound from lungs as large as his. "Aye, Joen, I've some idea after so long following around the men who sit on the top of it all, but even then I reckon his Lordship will send someone out after these ones. There's no war brewing to hold his strength for, with Robert on the throne and the Ironborn still smarting, so putting down Outlaws is the best use he has for us these days. Maybe it won't be the prize knights, but I'm sure you'll get me and a few of the common men at least. A man might not send his son to fight the wolves preying on his sheep, but he'll send his hounds and consider it a good trade, eh?"

It'd be a chance to stretch his muscles and get a good fight in for a change. No need to hold back in case he hurt one of his friends training or some highborn in a tourney. Against common bandits he could let loose.

Watt yearned for his Lord's word to get after the men preying on Joen's people, wishing his friend luck when the Lord's herald called him in to audience.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2014-08-17 at 02:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Trimmack nods and bows, "Thank you Lord Musgood." Trimmack will wait until they are dismissed to speak with his brother and uncle.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As it was clear that no one else had anything to add, he nodded and then motioned toward Dieter. "Witness my ruling to the people of Umbra Village. You are dismissed." He gave Dieter a slight nod of recognition and thanks, and as the cloak-wearing smallfolk made his exit, the next man was sent in.

Joen, the spokesman for the Free Tenants - those men who lived on the edge of the law, on the frontier between the Lord's lands, and the lawless mountain reaches. A hardy bunch of farmsteaders and goat herders, the Free Tenants had a history of serving the Lord of Drakesgrave when they were needed, and keeping to themselves when they were not. Joen embodied their nature in his stoic aloofness and his self-reliance. It was odd for a Free Tenant to show up at court unexpected, and that oddness was punctuated by a life of the salt-and-pepper eyebrow of Lord Mathias Musgood.

"Welcome. How may the court be of service today?"

Joen tilted his head slightly. "My Lord." Then he lifted his head to address the court. "The rumors of outlaws poaching from the peakside region up in the mountains have grown stronger and stronger, and the Free Tenants ask that my Lord assist us in finding them in destroying them. It's planting season for the farms and, what with all the missing livestock, folks can't afford to go running around tracking these bandits. We've done well for summer, and there's young folks that don't remember how the Winter touches these hills and mountains, but just as the weather's been kind, we've a lot more mouths to feed as a result."

Lord Mathias nodded to him, and then looked to his advisors. "We've got men to send for sure, but how many? The mountains are treacherous, especially for people not accustomed to them. And if they're riddled with outlaws who know the area, its possible we'll lose men -- if not to rockslides and other dangers, then to ambushes and traps. What say you?"

Joen was summoned in by the bailiff, just as Dieter came out. Dieter paused a moment to gather his wits, and he looked to Ser Watt who was there. He smiled a bit to the huge man. "Looks like things are going to get all turned upside down here, and soon, on account of a tournament. I suppose you'll enter, yes?" Dieter smoothed a hand over an ill-matched patch on his cloak, in a moment of self-consciousness.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post

As it was clear that no one else had anything to add, he nodded and then motioned toward Dieter. "Witness my ruling to the people of Umbra Village. You are dismissed." He gave Dieter a slight nod of recognition and thanks, and as the cloak-wearing smallfolk made his exit, the next man was sent in.

Joen, the spokesman for the Free Tenants - those men who lived on the edge of the law, on the frontier between the Lord's lands, and the lawless mountain reaches. A hardy bunch of farmsteaders and goat herders, the Free Tenants had a history of serving the Lord of Drakesgrave when they were needed, and keeping to themselves when they were not. Joen embodied their nature in his stoic aloofness and his self-reliance. It was odd for a Free Tenant to show up at court unexpected, and that oddness was punctuated by a life of the salt-and-pepper eyebrow of Lord Mathias Musgood.

"Welcome. How may the court be of service today?"

Joen tilted his head slightly. "My Lord." Then he lifted his head to address the court. "The rumors of outlaws poaching from the peakside region up in the mountains have grown stronger and stronger, and the Free Tenants ask that my Lord assist us in finding them in destroying them. It's planting season for the farms and, what with all the missing livestock, folks can't afford to go running around tracking these bandits. We've done well for summer, and there's young folks that don't remember how the Winter touches these hills and mountains, but just as the weather's been kind, we've a lot more mouths to feed as a result."

Lord Mathias nodded to him, and then looked to his advisors. "We've got men to send for sure, but how many? The mountains are treacherous, especially for people not accustomed to them. And if they're riddled with outlaws who know the area, its possible we'll lose men -- if not to rockslides and other dangers, then to ambushes and traps. What say you?"

Gallus thought for a few moments, of the men at their disposal and the risks involved. "Do you have any ideas as to their numbers? Provided a guide from the free tenants a group of Bloodsworn knights and Manticores would likely be able to find and bring to heel a band that was not too large in number. I think, my Lord, that this is an important risk to take if at all possible, it is our duty to protect those law abiding folk on our lands. And to allow poachers to run rampant would be seen as a sign of weakness besides." Gallus may not relish the idea of combat but if his father allowed a force to be sent he would lead them personally, he needed to earn the respect of his men, or if nothing else experience a true battle if he was to carry out his duties in the long term.

16. - Top - End - #16

Joen was summoned in by the bailiff, just as Dieter came out. Dieter paused a moment to gather his wits, and he looked to Ser Watt who was there. He smiled a bit to the huge man. "Looks like things are going to get all turned upside down here, and soon, on account of a tournament. I suppose you'll enter, yes?" Dieter smoothed a hand over an ill-matched patch on his cloak, in a moment of self-consciousness.

"If I can, aye, but old Joen was just saying that his folk are having problems with outlaws. The good Lord willing I'd rather be with whatever force he sends after them than playing at being something more than I am at the tourney, if it's one or the other." Watt says plainly. He enjoyed bashing highborn peacocks around in tourneys, only more so when they were Dornish or someone the Lord wanted shown up... but in the end his job was protecting the lands and putting down the bandits came first.

His expression flickers from the jovial smile that it habitually held in the presence of friends, the large man remembering the girl from earlier.

"I don't suppose you know anything about a girl called... I think her name was Alyn?" Watt asks the village spokesman, knowing his wife to be one of the women in the village most likely to know of the more sordid details of a night of festivities. Perhaps she had told him something? "I hear she had some problems with Ser Hugh recently. Sad business if so."
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2014-08-18 at 09:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vonpenguin View Post
    Gallus thought for a few moments, of the men at their disposal and the risks involved. "Do you have any ideas as to their numbers? Provided a guide from the free tenants a group of Bloodsworn knights and Manticores would likely be able to find and bring to heel a band that was not too large in number. I think, my Lord, that this is an important risk to take if at all possible, it is our duty to protect those law abiding folk on our lands. And to allow poachers to run rampant would be seen as a sign of weakness besides." Gallus may not relish the idea of combat but if his father allowed a force to be sent he would lead them personally, he needed to earn the respect of his men, or if nothing else experience a true battle if he was to carry out his duties in the long term.
    Trimmack nods in agreement with his younger brother. "Ser Gallus is absolutely correct. It is our responsibility, to care for those under our charge. This poaching nonsense has gone on far to long and must be brought to a stop. As Ser Gallus is Master-at-Arms, I will defer to his judgement in making recommendations for numbers. I would only suggest that a large enough force be sent to ensure success and send a message. Thievery and Banditry will not be tolerated by House Musgood."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Joen watched as the highborn discussed the matter. It didn't seem like it was basic human kindness or helping out friends -- this was at once removed and somehow more solemn for them. A divine duty that they possessed that seemed to put the highborn on another level. Divine wasn't necessarily good, Joen felt that evil was done in the Seven Gods' name as often as not. But that was clearly not the case this time, was it?

Mathias nodded his head to Trimmack, before adjusting his gaze to Gallus.

"Ser Gallus, as Master-at-Arms, you shall command whatever forces you deem necessary to protect our subjects and the interests of Drakesgrave, find the outlaws and execute the Lord's Justice in my name. Use whatever discretion you feel you must. May the Seven Gods guide you in this task, as in all things. Let all here be witness."

Lord Mathias looked toward Joen and it was clear that Joen was satisfied. "You are dismissed." And Mathias looked past Oswin and into the hall and saw that there were no other complaintants lined up with Ser Watt.

"Then I think we're done here for today. Unless you all have further business with me ... the court is dismissed until tomorrow."

"Alyn? Yes yes, of course. The servant girl." Dieter nodded. "She's quite the fetching young lass. I did hear a rumor that she was getting along quite well with Ser Hugh, actually. There've been rumors that he might take her as a wife, which I'm sure will be a disappointment to all the other men who favor her."
    Last edited by Sorceress; 2014-08-19 at 01:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Alyn? Yes yes, of course. The servant girl." Dieter nodded. "She's quite the fetching young lass. I did hear a rumor that she was getting along quite well with Sir Hugh, actually. There've been rumors that he might take her as a wife, which I'm sure will be a disappointment to all the other men who favor her."
    "I see." Watt states evenly, his brow furrowing. "She said that she was here about unwelcome advances from the lad... not sure what to make of it now. She ever seem, I don't know, off to you around Hugh? Like he was threatening her? Can't see why she'd be coming to the Lord about this if he was courting her."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Trimmack calls a meetings of all those who would be required to prepare to Tournament. He knows better than to attempt such an endeavor on his own. He sends messengers to those in the know who will be able to benefit him. There are many things to prepare and he certainly does not wish to do it with out the support of the other players of Drakesgrave Manor.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Drakesgrave Manor Keep

The court was dismissed and the Lord retired for his lunch in private, if you can call be attended by servants privacy, but for nobles, its as close as one can expect to find solitude.

Trimmack excused himself to begin preparations for the tournament already. He'd have to decide on the scope, and how many events he wanted to hold, as well as any special prizes beyond monetary that he wanted to give out, if any. Ser Guntar offered to handle all the details if Trimmack didn't want to bother himself with them.

Gallus was called upon to gather up men to seek out and patrol the mountainous southern border of the Lord's domain. He would be able to count on some volunteers among the Free Tenant Irregulars, but their poor equipment and lack of discipline could be problematic -- especially when their families were counting on them working to till the fields and plant the crops. The Gold Manticores might be useful, but their training in close combat was lacking. The Bloodstorm Knights would always be useful, but Gallus would need Trimmack's permission to take any of them. As it stood, Joen seemed willing to help as a guide, if necessary, but beyond that, no other answers were obvious. Gallus would have to decide.

Watt's investigation into Alyn and Ser Hugh left him feeling unfulfilled, as Dieter didn't have the kind of insight that Watt was hoping for, and his answers were uncertain. He could seek out the servant girl, or the knight, to ask questions direction, but beyond that, it seemed like it would have to wait until the court tomorrow to see if she would come back to reapply her complaint in the company of a chaperon.

Spoiler: What Next?
    Show
    You can all free role-play here, go ahead and set what scene you'd like to do, or accomplish, or you can narrate your actions in a downtime style if you prefer. Once we've determined a steady course, I'll set the next guided scene.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Gallus reasoned that he would need a mix of men that could fight at a range and in close, in the mountains there was no garentee a man with a sword could reach their foe and bringing only archers could be just as disastrous. He resolved to as Trimmick for permission to seek volunteers from the Bloodsworn and pick out a few trustworthy Golden manticores. With Joen volunteering to serve as a guide there was little reason to drag the Irregulars away from their fields, that was after all a large part of the reason they were asking for aid.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Drakesgrave Manor Keep, North Hall

The North Hall wasn't well lit, so it may have been an unlikely place to find Trimmack looking over some leather bound books, but there he was. A servant stood nearby, refilling Trimmack's cup when he grew thirsty, and just generally available to run errands if the heir required it.

Gallus found Trimmack looking over the books that were kept by Mathias, detailing the complicated system of credits and incomes for which the estate was responsible.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

When Gallus found Trimmack he stopped for a moment, he had always felt close to his brother, but always felt overshadowed by him, and needing to ask his leave to use some of the house's knights seemed to drive it home that Trimmack would always be meant for greater things. He drew in a deep breath before approaching, "Hello, Brother, I have a favor to ask if you have a moment?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The servant smiled a bit at Gallus, and then poured him a cup of wine. He held it nearby to make it available to the noble Knight, but he did not force it upon him if it was not welcomed.

26. - Top - End - #26

As the day marched on and another man took his place, Ser Watt found himself walking at a meandering pace towards the chambers of the heir. The word from the staff was that Ser Gallus had been given command of the bandit hunt, and that he'd last been seen heading to his brother's room. Watt wanted to make sure he had a place in the company before the night was done, but he wasn't sure what to say. It was presumptive to go to the heir's chambers without instruction from another member of his family or urgent news, but Ser Gallus was there for the same matter Watt suspected. If so he could probably get away with it.

When he reached the final stretch of hallway and saw the guard standing to attention at the door, Watt gave a nod of greeting and pushed his thoughts aside. He knocked heavily on the hardwood, his sheer size and muscle turning even a simple action into a strong thump. "Ser Gallus, Ser Trimmack, it's Watt. I'm here about the bandits."

Wait... no, that didn't sound quite right.

"I mean, I'd like to come with you, to kill the bandits. Not that I have any news about them."

A massive hand rubbed against the back of his shaggy hair, as he grins ruefully at the guard.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The chamber guard opened the door for Ser Watt, servants came and went without much impediment, as long as they were recognized, and Ser Watt was more than a mere servant by far, and far more recognizable than ... pretty much anyone. Watt was able to address the two noble brothers directly, and in doing so, he was greeted by a friendly smile from the servant holding Gallus' cup. Watt was the archetype of the common man done good, though most of the people who saw him in that light didn't realize the price paid in blood and tears to achieve such an admired position.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Gallus gave the servant a smile before polity declining the offered cup, making sure to use the man's name, he couldn't remember the names of everyone in service of the house he at least made an effort to know the ones he saw regularly. Before he could properly address Trimmack Ser Watt entered the room, he was perhaps the only person Gallus had ever met that he felt small standing next to, but he found the man likable, and worthy of his title, "Ser Watt, greetings. I was actually here asking Lord Trimmack for leave to seek volunteers from our knights for that very task. If permitted I'd be more than happy to have you at my side.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wil, the servant, held onto the cup in case Gallus' mind was changed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Trimmack looked up from the book and he nodded to Gallus and Watt. "The Knights of the Bloodstorm are all volunteers. Take as many of them as you feel you need. But do try to return them when you're finished, yes?"