New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: When a Day of Eternity has Passed...

Keledrath drops from the tree and begins to approach the group, intent on retrieving his arrows if he can. As he approaches, he recognizes the healer.
    Ahthosar, is that you?

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rolling to see if the arrows broke. Over 50 = intact
    1: (1d100)[44]
    2: (1d100)[56]
    3: (1d100)[30]
    4: (1d100)[72]
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ahthosar frowns with disapproval as Rastanna sits up, though she seems too willful to stop. "You should not move too much. It does your injuries no good." At this point he stands, and hears Keledrath address him. The druid turns, greeting the archer with a surprised smile and a grasp of the hand. "Well met, friend. It was good you were here. I fear Elyne and I would not have lasted long on our own. I trust you are well?" While he awaits a response, Ahthosar begins to wash his own wounds, pouring water over them and wrapping with clean linen. During this, he glances towards Elyne to make sure that she is not hurt too badly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. They were good target practice. How are the other two?
    He motions to Rastanna
    She is completely insane, as far as I can tell.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ahthosar smirks at the comment. "Is she?" He turns back to Rastanna, considering her for a long moment before responding. "I do not think so. Not insane. Merely too brave by half." He smiles, then begins to pack away his supplies before slinging his backpack over his shoulders. "In that sense, a virtue. I am going to check on Elyne. She was wounded in the skirmish." Ahthosar clicks his tongue, and his loyal steed follows. He pets the creature's neck as it follows along beside him, back over to where Elyne fought her battle. Once there, he offers to dress her wounds in the same manner he did his own and Rastanna's.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

The archer returns the smirk.
    Fair point. I suppose she is brave, if only because she survived.
    He looks at the remaining boars.
    What should we do with them? I fear that even without their riders they may still be a threat.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ahthosar glances at the remaining boars. The ones that have not been stupefied are content to graze and forage about. "These beasts are only as dangerous as their masters. Of course, like any creature, they will defend their territory and their young, but they are no threat to us now." He pauses, continuing to watch the animals mill about. His own horse begins to graze as well. All his focus is on the boars, noticing their habits. It is a few long moments before he continues speaking. "I will study one, of course. It will have to be put down. Any of the others can be tamed, I imagine. Even the orks have managed to do so, after all."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ill move when I've a mind to do so!" Rastanna says, using her shield as a lever to hoist herself up. In spite of the effort required, she wipes her sword clean using the tunic of her beheaded ork.

"And I'm as sane as any warrior who'd won their battle," she snarls Keledrath's way, "Though I perhaps yeild to the suggestion that the loss of my horse got me a little riled. Which is why I intend to take that damn boar off your healer friend's hands once I stop walking funny...He's mine by right of combat."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ahthosar smiles at the girl and her ferocity. "You are certainly welcome to the creature, if you can tame it. I have no wish to rob you of your spoils. Just do be careful."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Keledrath arches an eyebrow at the young berserker.
    I suppose that means I have earned four of them.
    He turns to Ahthosar
    What would you do if you came into the possession of four very large boars?

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Have you earned them? You killed many orks, surely, and for that we are grateful. I am sure our new friend would tell you, however, that it was without risk to your own person. I believe, in her mind, the reward of risk is the spoil of battle." He continues to wash Elyne's wounds, if she had consented to that. "Regardless, I am not interested in the finer details of looting. You are welcome to them. As I said, I will require one for my studies. Our friend will keep one for herself, it seems. The others are little concern of mine. They can easily be set free, since the plains are their natural habitat, or captured and tamed, since they are easily domesticated--though I doubt you will be able to manage more than one. Had Nimroch been wounded, I would have taken one for my own." With the injuries tended to, he caps his waterskin and places it back in his pack, followed by the remaining linens.

Once done, he has time for introductions. He turns to the she-warrior and formally greets her. "Well met. My name is Ahthosar Elesparan, druid and natural philosopher. Your combat prowess is impressive, and your tenacity even more so. What brings you north of the Forest?" As an aside, he turns to Keledrath and says, "I might ask you the same question, friend."
    Last edited by Stanr; 2014-08-25 at 08:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"Rastanna Sevenleaf. I'm little more than a berseker blade but the world is still young and unexplored to me, for I came this way merely on the advice of an elder after I was done slaying alongside some Wardens. Though if you can spare the healing, as brave as I am, I'm not stupid enough to try to mount the boar again when I can barely stand. Though d'you think feeding it some of the remains of his former rider will charm him to me, or would that just set a bad precedent?"

Hey, at least she's honest.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The fight had left Elyne drained. With most of her magic expanded, and a nasty wound to the stomach, she needed a bit of time to recover, head too dizzy to really follow the beginning of the conversation.Only when she felt herself strong enough to stand did she join them, shooting a grateful look to Ahthosar for his assistance.

"Ah... I wouldn't know about that, though the smell of blood seem to provoke... strong reactions. Be careful though, those boars did not seem overly loyal to their previous riders."

That last sentence was said while looking toward the orc gutted by his own mount. Though she supposed the beast couldn't really be blamed ; she was the one who broke his mind, a deed that didn't make her feel any pride.

"Anyway, I thank you two for your timely assistance. I am Elyne Sunrider, a... student of magic, I suppose. I was travelling with Ahthosar before we were ambushed."
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Keledrath unstrings his bow as he speaks.
    Keledrath Ebrelon. An Elder sent me this way. Doubtless forseeing this event.
    He glances at the unconscious boar.
    I think you'll want that one, Ahthosar. It should give you the least trouble. Though transporting it will be a challenge. These things are massive

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

14. - Top - End - #44

PaladinGuy

Elyne scratched her head, sounding ashamed of herself.

"Yes, sorry about that... I guess that we could try to find an healer but... Perhaps it would be better to make it our next meal, given his condition."

In the heat of battle, it had seemed like her best option, but now... She doubted they could drag it with them, and leaving it to its fate, probably agonizing for days without being able to do anything, seemed... cruel.

"By the way, Ahthosar, you know each other?"
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-08-26 at 10:45 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ahthosar first responds to Rastanna's question. "These boars are omnivorous, so they will indeed devour flesh. They are primarily scavengers, rather than predators, so I do not think they will be opposed to eating someone else's kill... if you have the stomach to feed it to them, that is. When not in a battle fury, these creatures are generally docile. We need not fear them now, I believe." He pauses to pet Nimroch, then produces an apple from a pocket in his dark woolen cloak and feeds it to the horse.

Next, he turns to Keledrath, and then glances at the unconscious boar. "Indeed, I will probably put this one down. Once that is done, I mean to drag it into that thicket there for a cursory study. I do not yet mean to return to my laboratory--I was sent this way by an Elder as well. I am travelling north, to the Lake, to study a certain flower." Ahthosar places a hand into a pocket of his green woolen vest, and it emerges holding a delicate blue flower. "This is the one. Its growth has been troubled as of late. Perhaps the soil and fauna of the region surrounding the Lake will set it to rights."

After putting the flower away, he answers Elyne. "Yes. Keledrath on occasion brings me specimens which I am unable to procure on my own."

16. - Top - End - #46

PaladinGuy

Elyne's brows furrowed a bit. The topic had come several times now, and she couldn't help but to find it peculiar.

"And I was tasked with observing what should be a great storm, foretold by the stars, north from there. It seems we were all sent here by Elders, each with a different objective. Isn't it a bit strange?"

Perhaps she was overthinking things. Perhaps it was a coincidence. But it still seemed curious to her. That line of thoughts was interrupted by the movement in her backpack, with a small bird warily coming out, before landing on her shoulder. Through their bond, she could stll feel his anxiety, and she did her best to reassure him. The battle was over, and they were all safe, if a bit hurt.

"Anyway, perhaps we should try to find cover to stop for a while. I don't think most of us are in a good condition to travel right now."
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ahthosar nods in agreement. "Strange indeed." He unsheaths his longsword, then walks purposefully toward the nearest stupefied boar. With utmost precision, he slides the sword through the back of the boars skull, near the neck, into the brain. Afterward, the druid wipes his sword on a pant leg and sheaths it, before taking a length of hempen rope from his pack and wrapping it around the boar. He ties the other end to Nimroch, and after a click of the tongue his steed begins dragging the now-dead boar towards the thicket.

"For myself, I could use some rest and a day or a few to study this animal. I imagine this thicket will do, at least for now. We could also discuss our plans, and the Elders--or Elder--that sent us here." Ahthosar waits for agreement from the others before moving towards the trees.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Behind Ahthosar, the group settles into the cover of the thicket.

There, Keledrath makes a small fire to roast the bits of boar that Ahthosar has no need of, and provides a fine meal (Though the boar provides far more meat than you could possibly eat, if you were to butcher the whole beast.)

Keeping close, the days pass without event.

Spoiler
    Show

You may all consider yourselves fed, by the Archer-Chef Keledrath. (The light spices make all the difference in the world.)

Anyone who would like to Trance may do so. You may recover your Hit Dice + Your Wisdom Modifier Hit Points per Trance Period (8hrs).

You are free to Trance multiple Periods back to back.

For Stanr:
    Without your Laboratory, you will not be able to fully comprehend the workings of the beast... The preliminary study will give you a +3 bonus to your roll when you do get such a specimen back to your lab.

Conversely, if you feel like taking the time (a fair bit would be required), you may construct a new laboratory here, and craft all the tools therein that you might require.

You may also study the anatomy of the Orks, if you so choose.

19. - Top - End - #49

PaladinGuy

Lying in the tall grass, Elyne waited for the sun to set. She needed the rest, and her attempt to work on some new enchantments proved to be vain ; she couldn't focus on her usual research, she had too many things in her head right now. So she rested, letting the light of the dimming sun replenish her magic, and trying to let the earth ease her wounds, while thinking about today's events.

First were her new companions. Each of them had came at the nick of time, and for that, she was grateful. She didn't know them yet, but they seemed nice enough, even if the girl seemed quite... intense. She didn't know if they would continue their travel together, but she hoped so. Today's experience had showed there was safety to be found in numbers.

That leaded to her second point ; orcs so close from elven borders? It wasn't unprecedented, but it couldn't be a good sign. If the orcs tribes were about to mount an attack on elven lands, they should try to warn people back home.

But was there any need? Each elf here seemed to have been led by the hand of an Elder. Did they already know what was happening, and was it a test for each of them? Or was it really a coincidence? She didn't doubt their benevolent intentions, but Elyne found the Elder's usual cryptic ways to often be a source of frustration. This was a conundrum, one that the young mage didn't feel able to solve.

Growing restless, she finally stood up, disturbing Cileath's nap in the process. Her body still hurt a bit, but she was feeling better already. She stepped back toward the camp, with the intent of thanking the mysterious archer for the meal he served them. Given the lack of tools at their disposal, what he did with the dishes was nothing short of amazing. And it would be an occasion to know him a bit better.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-08-28 at 12:47 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Not having been injured, Keledrath is awake, keeping watch for the night in case more orks came hunting.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

21. - Top - End - #51

PaladinGuy

Elyne had no trouble finding the archer in his vigil.

"Huum... Keledrath, was it? I wanted to thank you for the meal before. You have a real knack for this you know? Oh, also, thank you for the rescue before... but I already said that, didn't I?"

Sitting back again to not strain herself, Elyne fixed her gaze on the darkening sky. Already the first stars were beginning to appear. Already the light of Titan was beginning to shine, and the others would follow soon enough. She wondered, if she focused again, would she be able to see what the Elder had told her?

"Anyway, how did you meet Ahthosar? He told us you brought him... specimens, is that it?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    When night will be deep enough, I'd like to try an astrology check again, see if I can pick up something.

(1d20+8)[22]
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

He nods.
    I spent five centuries learning every step of preparing my meals, from the growing of trees for arrows and the cultivation of herbs to the actual acts of hunting and cooking. Lately, I've been hunting more exotic prey, so Ahthosar and I found a good relationship. The parts he's concerned with I am willing to part with.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

While Keledrath stands watch and Elyne accompanies him, Ahthosar enters a trance. He sits at the base of a tall, proud evergreen, eyes closed and legs crossed. His heartbeat slows to a crawl as his thoughts wind down. The sun sets and rises before he snaps back into reality, and when he does he feels invigorated. After rising and stretching, he begins preliminary inspections of the boar. Though he doesn't have access to his full laboratory, he does have enough tools to perform a simple dissection. Ahthosar rifles through his pack, removing blades of various shapes and sizes, along with other medical tools. Once the equipment is laid out, he begins the study. An initial slice just below the neck, which he extends down to the creature's groin, reveals organs, muscles, and bone. Before continuing, he removes parchments, inks, and a pen from his pack, and begins taking copious notes...

Once the study is done, Ahthosar finds Nimroch, mounts him, and exits the thicket. He trots around the battlefield, searching for the ork which is the least damaged--perhaps one that simply had its brain pierced by an arrow, with no sword or tusk wounds. When he finds a suitable specimen, he tosses it over Nimroch's rump and returns to the thicket, where he begins a second dissection...

Spoiler
    Show
    Performing preliminary inspection of the boar and ork. Not gonna create a laboratory here, don't wanna burn up too much time.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Rastanna displays a good bit of effort before she even begins to think about trancing. Giving the boar she's claimed a cautionary glare, she takes its reigns and gently tugs it along past where her original steed now lay. Damn, that was a fine mare; but such is the way of things... She only pauses long enough to recover a bundle of stone-tipped javelins, and places them over the boars back before leading him on. In the glade she tethers the boar to a sizably thick tree, only to leave once more, limping away back the way she came.

She returns even more bloody than before, with what are probably-- to the horror of the others-- ork 'steaks' that she tosses the boar's way. She wants him very well fed and docile until she's up to full speed again, if anyone asks why she's doing something so barbaric, before finally quitting the world, her armor, and her waking state as she trances in the boughs of a tree, sword across her lap.

She hopes it's a nice trance; it's going to be hell on her when she has to bury her horse afterwards...

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

(1d20+1)[20] A handle animal check on the boar--if it's necessary-- to keep him in line, but in general, she's not taking too many chances beyond tethering him and removing the saddle before eventually feeding him.

(1d20)[15] search check on the dead orks for swag, weapons, etc. She took a brace (6) of javelins from the original orks she killed in the prologue.

Assuming the boar doesn't kill her or anything, I'm gonna spend the next day digging a grave for her dead mare; Rastanna's too tired to exert herself.

25. - Top - End - #55

PaladinGuy

Elyne shot the hunter a curious look.

"More exotic preys? That sounds interesting. What would be the strangest thing you have ever seen?"

Her attention is distracted by the various activities of their other companions. Apparently, each of them decided it was time to slice up some dead orc... though probably not for the same reasons. She briefly wonders what kind of animal could eat that. Being carnivorous is one thing, but eating an orc... Ew.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

While Ahthosar conducts his studies, and Elyne and Keledrath converse about strange and wondrous creatures, Rastanna attempts to approach, and endear herself to the boar she captured.

The days and nights pass easily, the boar being regularly fed, Ahthosar up to his elbows in Ork blood as his dissections progress, Keledrath keeping a steady watch, and Elyne lying easily back in the high branches, watching the sky spin above her.

The sun is bright, when Keledrath suddenly realizes that Rastanna is missing... And so is the boar... It's tether torn free...

... In that same moment, a high pitched shriek is heard from the plain, and the part rushes forth, fearing the worst...

... They arrive to late... They find Rahstanna pinned beneath the beast's snout, screeching and howling as the boar heavily drives its nose and tusks into her belly...

... When you suddenly realize that she is laughing... And there isn't any blood...

For Elyne:
    Spoiler
    Show

Heeding the Elder's advice, you keep a steady eye on the stars.

There are so many that at first it is difficult to focus on the task, and you nearly give up... But gradually, you begin to make sense of the overarching patterns, and how the movements of the planets shift (ever so slightly) from day to day, as they cross the sky and interact with one another and the constellations...

... But there... You've been watching these last few days, and a new star has appeared... Dim, but growing slowly brighter, and just now beginning to show signs of a tail...

... A comet...

... Appearing almost directly in line with the direction of the Lake, and now, appearing to move ever so slightly westward... Towards the Northern Peninsula, against the flight of the Sparrow...

... The Elder spoke dismissively of omens, but this can truly be nothing else...

There must be more to the coming storm than mere winds and rain.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2014-09-03 at 12:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Rastanna is pretty pleased with herself even as she thumps the boar's snout a few times with her knuckles.

Get off me, Onga, you bloody fat ass!" she says without a hint of malice, only mirth before, should the boar get up, she slams against him playfully. ...Of course, he bowls her over when he bumps back, but she laughs this off pretty handily. Birds of a feather, apparently, as the boar follows Rastanna around until she shoo's him off (after several attempts by each of them to knock the other down) and she gets to whatever camp duties she was given.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Their activities complete, the newly formed party continues on towards the lake.

It is only a short while before the slopes of the great caldera become visible, and a short while longer before the party reaches their crest.

... They say that at the dawn of time there was a terrible war between the heavens and the hells, and it was that war that created and shaped this earth.

At that time, the very ground you now stand upon was an immense volcanic vent... A gate into the very pit of the Hells, choking the heavens with noxious gasses, scorching the lands with floods of burning magma, and vomiting forth legions upon legions of demonic horrors to do battle with the celestial forces above...

At the whim of the hellish barons the mountain grew ever more violent, and during a great battle over its peak, it erupted with devestating force... Spewing billions of tons molten stone and ash into the heavens, choking the skies, and scouring clean the earth... But so terrible was the explosion that the very mountain itself was undone, collapsing in upon itself into a flaming sea of fire and molten stone that yet continued to boil as the mountain attempted to rise again...

But the heavens saw their chance and took it... The floodgates of the skies were opened, pouring down their cooling waters upon fires so hot that even the ice and snows burned...

... The event marked the end of the war... So spent were either side that neither could directly effect the earthly plane any longer...

When the smoke and ash finally cleared, a great lake sat where the mountain once stood... It's pure, crystalline waters a touch of heaven upon the earth... In its middle, a jagged volcanic spire, reaching up to the sky, testament to where the hells had fought to the very last, that, yet to this day, continues to burn...

... As you stand gazing over the downward slopes, now green with grasses and foliage, over the crystalline waters, so peaceful and colored so deep blue, the barest hint of sulfur reaches your nostrils... Far below, a thin wisp of smoke curls from the peak of the island in the Lake...

Even at this distance, you all can feel that the island is a place of immense, untapped, natural power.

29. - Top - End - #59

PaladinGuy

Elyne had been unusually silent for most of the travel, her mind burdened with worries and doubts. What she saw in the sky last night was a cause for alarm... or was it? She trusted her instinct, but she also trusted the Elders. The one she talked to didn't seem worried in the least, and was far more experienced than her in the art of divination. And yet... and yet she was certain of what she saw. Almost. The worst part was not being able to talk about it with her current company. She doubted saying she saw an ominous sign in the stars would be taken seriously, not when she had so little to work with, and almost no experience in that domain. So she remained quiet, lost in her thoughts.

That changed, though, when they arrived near the lake. Elyne had to admit, that was one of the most breathtaking sight she knew of. A place were fire, earth, air and water were joined together in harmony was rare indeed, and the simple feel in the air around this place was enough to awaken her curiosity. The young mage liked to think she was a disciplined adult (well, she tried), but right now, it took all her self control to refrain herself from jumping up and down like a kid, her eyes alight with excitement.

"Oooh, we have to go near that island. Come on, let's hurry!"

Thoughts of stars, elders and storms were now far from her mind. All that mattered right now was the island, and what might lie ahead.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-09-04 at 04:32 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Keledrath had likewise been silent for the journey. He didn't overly approve of the rambunctious youngling and her boar, but he kept his mouth shut. She was, if nothing else, a good fighter.

When he sees the lake, he recalls the history of the place, and a kind of feral hunger glints in his eyes.

I agree. We must go there. Imagine what the latent magics will have done to the fauna of such a place.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro