New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Erfworld 31

1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 31

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    Obviously you don't read Goblins.

This is not a filler comic. This is a comic to be completed with the next update. Only then will it truly make sense.
    I'm sorry, but any comic that spends three quarters of it's page portraying "dwagons are summoned!" is filler.

That's just the way it is. Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    Then comes the actual scripting. Rob takes his outline and starts filling in the blanks. The scripts are very detailed giving me dialog, page break downs, panel shots, action description, everything a comic artist needs. Every once in a while, Rob will ask if we can expand and add another page or two to give me some room to draw cool things and to give him some room to script. The Dwagon air battle is a perfect example of this.
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Love
    The metal-melting kind behind that locked door in Order of the Phoenix?
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

3. - Top - End - #93

Hahaha! The look on Stanley's face in panel 3 was hilarious.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone231 View Post
    So, this is what they call a... "filler comic"? Because it doesn't really seem to get any particular information across.
    I thought seeing the Arkenhammer in action was pretty cool information. What it didn't do was advance the action or bring us closer to the battle.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    I thought seeing the Arkenhammer in action was pretty cool information. What it didn't do was advance the action or bring us closer to the battle.
    Or give us additional information (we already knew what the Arkenhammer did). Or give us any characterization (omigod Stanley is mean? rly?).
    Age of Avarice - A homebrew SF setting featuring neo-colonialist humans and primitive aliens (offsite hosting)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

wow, hamster sure screwed up.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Stanley's expression in the third panel is so funny I can't stop looking at it. Seriously, you don't get better than those huge soulless black eyes and the little puckered mouth. Hilarious.

8. - Top - End - #98

Lizardfolk

Ahh,y eah- the politics distracted me from commenting on that expression. It's absolutely fantastic. XD The big eyes especially. It just screams "Whoever crosses my path next will be awarded the title of "Arkennail"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tharj TreeSmiter View Post
    Maybe it's just the abundance of extralength OOTS strips but the erfworlds strips never seem to get as much story out in one comic. It's a little frusterating because I'm actually starting to get into it now.
    Well, Erfworld art is more likely to be energy-intensive than OotS art - may The Giant forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerysil View Post
    Never discuss alignment in-game. Never.
    QFT. Nobody likes being called the Bad Guy, Parson! Even if they know it's true (more likely in fiction) it can easily be seen as insulting, or challenging their authority. "When you say I'm a bad guy, does that mean you think I'm a bad leader?"

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Does employing Gobwins, Dwagons, and Spidews count? Just look at them, they're clearly evil, and they tore that poor cloth golem apart!
    In war critters on both sides die. The bear killed the spidew, too, and I'm sure if they'd had the option Ansom's soldiers would strike first - see Jillian's "scouting expedition".
    Roy Greenhilt Memorial Fan Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    Save the party leader, save the world.
    Life does not consist of level-appropriate encounters.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I don't know why almost everyone is automatically assuming that Stanley actually is evil and he just believes wrongly that he is on the side of good. Maybe Stanley is good, he hasn't given us any real reasons to assume otherwise (except the Wanda torturing part). So undead are automatically connected with evil in Dnd and most other sources, but why should that be true here? I think that Stanley actually is (relatively) good.

11. - Top - End - #101

Ooooohhhh....
    Actiony!

So, obviously Stanley doesn't think he's evil, but is a guy who enjoys having people tortured really good?

Also, if you read the 'ring of roaring' in Panel 6 continuously, you get:
    RRRROOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRROOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRROOOOOOOAAA AAAA...
    which actually makes a good amount of sense.

And a good amount of people seem to be saying 'dragons' instead of 'dwagons'

Clubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Founder of the Explosive Runes fanclub! To join, put a line in your sig.
    Official Sloganmaker and Eloquist of the Vaarsuvius Fanclub.
    Member of the ヒソジヨ Fanclub.
    Member of the カヅミ and ダイゴ [Kazumi and Daigo] fanclub.

Thanks to Mr. Saturn for the Dire Laptop avatar.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    I don't know why almost everyone is automatically assuming that Stanley actually is evil and he just believes wrongly that he is on the side of good. Maybe Stanley is good, he hasn't given us any real reasons to assume otherwise (except the Wanda torturing part). So undead are automatically connected with evil in Dnd and most other sources, but why should that be true here? I think that Stanley actually is (relatively) good.
    For myself, I'm betting that Stanley is actually on the side of good. However, if he isn't, I expect us to be able to figure it out from his speech in the next comic.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    (Stranded on the first layer of Baator seemed to work just fine )
    Spoiler
    Show

Check out the test to find out who you are!

What type of Fae are you?

Avatar by Dan Shive from El Goonish Shive.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

The Inner Sanctum. Gender: I haven't checked yet.

My respect for Stanley has increased tenfold. Lawful Evil (Or even LG/LN with evil leanings) is by far my favorite alignment, because you can justify your actions.
    Last edited by NecroPaladin; 2007-03-06 at 10:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Town Characters, pictured left to right:

State Namesake District Revenant (With Ms. E's Iris) Malleo Morbius Deckard and Dexter
    for State, Malleo, District
    for Morbius
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Many people have asked themselves; What is the ultimate moment-killer?
    The real ultimate moment-killer is a giant horde of zombies.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Aesthetically, Lord Stanley comes off as evil--dragons and zombies and spiders and so on. But regarding the battle for Gobwin Knoll, he is the defender being invaded and in that sense can be considered good, or at least not the aggressor. We don't know how this war started do we? And while the other side uses Peeps and fuzzy bears, it also uses axes and arrows! That's not so darn cute.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by TRat View Post
    Aesthetically, Lord Stanley comes off as evil--dragons and zombies and spiders and so on. But regarding the battle for Gobwin Knoll, he is the defender being invaded and in that sense can be considered good, or at least not the aggressor. We don't know how this war started do we? And while the other side uses Peeps and fuzzy bears, it also uses axes and arrows! That's not so darn cute.
    Well, my impression was always that Stanley started the war by trying to acquire the other Arkentools, which their current owners were unlikely to want to give up. Wanda certainly implies as much, when she states that Stanley's other 10 cities were lost as a result of his quest.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    Well, my impression was always that Stanley started the war by trying to acquire the other Arkentools, which their current owners were unlikely to want to give up. Wanda certainly implies as much, when she states that Stanley's other 10 cities were lost as a result of his quest.
    Well, that could also be because the others didn't want him to get the Arkentools(whether or not they were the owners) and attacked him. Or it could be that while he was distracted by his quest all those mean guys attacked him(Stanley, distractable, NEVER).

My other question that I need to know before I think he is good or evil is what EXACTLY would all the arkentools do when in his possesion, and what does he plan. So far I remain unconvinced of either side, but lean towards him being good. Partially because Parson would seem to prefer it if he was the bad guy, and at this point, I expect him to be disappointed.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    (Stranded on the first layer of Baator seemed to work just fine )
    Spoiler
    Show

Check out the test to find out who you are!

What type of Fae are you?

Avatar by Dan Shive from El Goonish Shive.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

What makes you think we're the "bad guys?"
    The fact that you're so defensive.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deuseldorf View Post
    The fact that you're so defensive.
    Or he could be being sarcastic.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone231 View Post
    I'm sorry, but any comic that spends three quarters of it's page portraying "dwagons are summoned!" is filler.
    I thought that it was a play on the obligatory, dazzling transformation/power display in all those Saturday morning merch-commercial-as-cartoons. Of course, those scenes are filler, so I'm not disagreeing that strongly. I think that, as much as they're poking fun at the trope, they're also making use of it to have fun drawing some very pretty pictures.

...Okay, I changed my mind: I am disagreeing that strongly. If we got a photocopy of those scenes every weekend then that would be filler; but just once, those pretty, pretty pictures are content (to me).
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-03-07 at 12:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Sometimes you need to tame a dwagon. Sometimes you just need to bust a nut.

I think Stanley just did both.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, it's pretty obvious. For one, the bad guys are always outnumbered by the good guys. Secondly, the bad guys always have some trick, like croakamancy or an arkentool, which allows them to turn the good guys strength into a weakness. And lastly, the bad guys always win; which we will. Am I mistaken, tool?

<3.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I dunno about his being evil because of his hunt for the Arkentools. My impression of it is that he was searching for more tools, not trying to kill others to take them (yet). Although considering the zeal with which he goes about things, I can see him reaching the point of trying to force them from others, such as the Arkenpliers.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Wow! Stanley is booping metal!

24. - Top - End - #114

Anyways, this is where a little bit of the old "creative backpedal" is important. What Parson should do is say it's because of the uncroaked, and when Stanley tells him that uncroaked are not evil, say "oh, well, in my world it's unquestionably evil because it requires a pact with the devil/summons negative energy/consumes the person's soul/is ugly."
    Last edited by Cyclone231; 2007-03-07 at 02:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think all undead of Earth should rise against that stigma.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Himeo View Post
    Well, it's pretty obvious. For one, the bad guys are always outnumbered by the good guys. Secondly, the bad guys always have some trick, like croakamancy or an arkentool, which allows them to turn the good guys strength into a weakness. And lastly, the bad guys always win; which we will. Am I mistaken, tool?
    Erm, yes? Isn't the absolute classic heroic story based on the good guys coming through and winning by the skin of their teeth despite facing overwhelming odds? If a story started out with the bad guys outnumbered twenty to one and lead by an incompetent, the story would just be "the good guys walk in and kill everyone and win. The end."

As regards who started the war - we are in something closely resembling a wargame. People in wargames fight wars. It's what they do. Who started it isn't really an issue. If noone starts a war, the whole thing gets boring very quickly. So to me, it doesn't really matter whether Stanley started the war so he could take the Arkentools or whether Ansom took advantage of him being distracted by a quest to sucker punch him - I don't think D&D type alignments are in force here.

Obviously this is subject to change depending on the next comic or two...

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    Ahh,y eah- the politics distracted me from commenting on that expression. It's absolutely fantastic. XD The big eyes especially. It just screams "Whoever crosses my path next will be awarded the title of "Arkennail"
    Hehehe. The Arkennail. That's a good'un.

Town Character Nukular, now retired as my avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas 'Moose' RockNukular
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil
    Donovan the Mutant Mindflayer
    Big Paul and Lucas's mother Joanna

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by dauntilus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spite48 View Post
    What does the pink dragon breathe?
    Heart
    Best. Post. Ever.

On a more serious note, good strip - it does seem that a lot of the preconceptions that have been coming up on the boards are being challenged in the comic (although not necessarily as a result of their coming up on the boards, it must be added). Still, until it's proven otherwise, I'm on Ansom and Jillian's side.
    "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
    ~~~ C. S. Lewis
    First Mate on board Hinjo's Junk
    Theological Advisor of the Hinjo Fan Club
    Shark Smiter of the O-Chul Fan Club
    GitP Folding Team

29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Well, for the evil side there is also the use of torture and the fact that they have no problem in forcing an intelligne being in fight for them against his will, also they have henchmen and lackeys, not self respecting Good Guy would have them.
    We know Wanda is prone to torture, but that's the only example of that we've seen. As for forcing an intelligent being to fight for him against his will--where's that happening? If you're talking about the dwagons, it's entirely possible (in fact, probable given the events in this comic) that they serve the wielder of the Arkenhammer willingly--those dwagons which pop up here certainly look as if they're just itching to tear Parson apart.

Henchmen and lackeys are just names for lower-ranking people, and I have no problem whatsoever with seeing a good team having them.

As for reasons why Stanley etc. MIGHT be the good guys--well, as already pointed out, it's usually the good guys who are the heavily outnumbered ones!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the hammer...

This would be an appropriate line for Stanley.