New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

So I'm more interested in your view point as to why you wouldn't allow it. Is it anything beyond the thematicness of finding your booze?

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    So I'm more interested in your view point as to why you wouldn't allow it. Is it anything beyond the thematicness of finding your booze?
    I'm not sure. If it dispenses everything he needs to function for free, it changes the cost of activating his class features to just taking the action to drink.

I see RPGs as a type of storytelling, and an item that boosts his power by so much is something the character should earn, not get for free. It's too easy. I'm not talking about morality, either. It's narrative weight that is lost by making it so simple to acquire.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Or to put it another way, Alcohol is so cheap for the dose that it doesn't matter if they get an infinite item. 1 dose of ale = 2cp. A waterskin(1gp) holds 8 doses(16cp). The cost is so negligible that it doesn't necessitate a permanent magic item as a class feature. Especially one that is light on equipment. Wizards still have to pay for their component pouch (5gp) and spellbook (15gp). Thieves still have to pay for their tools (30gp). Bards have to buy their instrument (5gp). Even clerics don't get their holy symbol for free (1gp).

And on that note, I'm almost done with the mechanics for The Juicer. Just need the rest of the side effects, the skills, and the fluff. I also have an idea for a feat.

4. - Top - End - #904

MindFlayer

I haven't be able to find alcohol anywhere that includes DC for the drinks. Anyone know a good source.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think it's in one of the early 3.0 sourcebooks. The Arms and Equipment guide?

6. - Top - End - #906
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I think it's in one of the early 3.0 sourcebooks. The Arms and Equipment guide?
    Yeah. Page 32.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #907

Need to get this back in view... can I get a PEACH for the metabolist?
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #908

Contest is closed, but I'm going to allow last-minute changes for the next two days--I've added a couple of days to the voting period to compensate. Lanth Sor is so close to finishing their entry that I feel bad disqualifying it, and of course, that opens up every entry for last-minute changes/fixes/whatnot. The entry still needs class skills and fluff, Lanth.

Voting thread.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2016-05-20 at 12:08 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah, thanks for the extra time. Gave me time to finish my class as well.

10. - Top - End - #910

MindFlayer

Some how I totally over looked that and thought I was done I even did a once over. Dratt!

I just updated it with the information so people can use it but i understand not getting included.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2016-05-23 at 11:43 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

11. - Top - End - #911

I'm happy about the votes for my class, but I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from... the Poison Spit ability has the option to be used to coat a weapon, but it's still the same poison, and counts as using Poison Spit. Only the feats stipulate one or the other as far as weapon versus spit attack. Does this help?

Nod, get treat.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It would be clearer if you said "The poison from your poison spit ability" or "Poison produced by the metabolist's abilities." I assumed that's what you meant, but it could be construed as poison he crafts with the craft skill in a few instances.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Orc in the Playground

It would be clearer if you said "The poison from your poison spit ability" or "Poison produced by the metabolist's abilities." I assumed that's what you meant, but it could be construed as poison he crafts with the craft skill in a few instances.
    Seconded. This clarification would help. Its a good class though, well played sir!
    OMFGWTF!!

14. - Top - End - #914

Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Seconded. This clarification would help. Its a good class though, well played sir!
    After a reread, it does appear that I've left exactly the sort of wiggle room for interpretation that powergamers love (although, eventually the Poison Spit becomes stronger than any craftable poison I've heard of).

Nod, get treat.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Now that the contest is over and I'm done, does anybody have specifics about the Juicer that they want to bring up? I tried to balance it around the barbarian at low levels, but emphisize the versitility at mid range and increase power at higher levels. I am most unsure about the major and acute side effects for intelligence. The minor I wanted it to be like the drug from limitless, but the major I wanted to be more like Lucy. Should I have given psionics instead?

Is the lifespan thing okay? I wanted to include something about detoxing, but didn't know how to impliment it.

Is there anything particularly broken that I should worry about? How is the Break Bad class feature balanced?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Orc in the Playground

Now that the contest is over and I'm done, does anybody have specifics about the Juicer that they want to bring up?
    To be honest it all seems pretty good for the most part, a solid alternative to the barbarian. That said, I've never been overly inspired by the barbarian class, especially at low levels as your basically limited to one cool moment per day and in that respect this class is no different. This is not so much a criticism of your class just an innate issue with having your coolness tied to single use per day for 4 levels. This coupled with what generally amounts to passive bonuses (more initiative and poison resistance) makes the class mechanically solid but not something that I would be itching to take for a spin.

Things pick up soon of course, so from level 4 onwards it starts getting a bit more interesting and by level 9 the class really comes into its own.

Overall I don't think you really have much to work on, its a fun alternate to the barbarian, which could easily result in some humerus or tragic rp. Good stuff!
    OMFGWTF!!

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I was actually planning on two feats for the class: Extra Juice (like Extra Rage but with Juicing) and Delphi Juicer (A feat for Juicers with a power point reserve, that would allow them to Juice with Psionic Poisons from the Book of vile darkness, automatically give psionic focus when juicing a mental stat, and a delivery method for expelling psionic poisons that would replace fortitude with will saves)

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

I was actually planning on two feats for the class
    Yeah, I had already assumed the existence of feats like this. I would have home-brewed them in myself were I to use this class in one of my sessions. Its a logical step. :)
    Last edited by kanachi; 2016-06-01 at 09:51 AM.
    OMFGWTF!!

19. - Top - End - #919
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hey all! I have a new competition open if you're interested, right here, and the chat thread here . Would love to see you there!
    Last edited by ShiningStarling; 2016-06-01 at 06:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #920

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    3). Metabolist. This class is awful and I would never allow it in my game. The creator should be ashamed of himself. The abilities are unclear and the thirty variations on his trick don't keep him from being a one-trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by bookguy View Post
    3rd) Metabolist - The class only does one thing. It's too powerful when it works and the class has no other options when it doesn't work.
    I guess that's what I get for joking. Ow.

So I suppose, just to clear it up for any other voters who may be out there...

You can build a much more varied character out of this. I heavily rewarded the 20th level Metabolist with increased range, damage, and regeneration, mostly because he has so many great multiclassing options. Without the theurge feats there's Metabolist 3, wizard or sorcerer 17. You take adrenaline rush and metabolic boost and can fire off four quickened spells per round for 45 nonlethal damage to yourself. Okay. That's not bad. Then there's Metabolist 19, Monk 1, with the Ascetic Poisoner feat. You go monk first, it's survivable at low levels, and you put your tricks in Adrenaline Rush, Metabolic Boost, Magic Metabolizer, Timeless Body, Immortality, Synthesize, and then you have nine other tricks to devote to resistances and immunities in order to increase your survivability, or alternate poisons. When you meet a foe who can't be poisoned, you laugh because you are probably immune to weapon damage and you can double the effectiveness of healing potions while taking three full attacks in a round with a +18 to your strength and you hit like a monk was meant to, and you have nothing better to spend your equipment budget on than healing potions for your d12 hitpoints with regeneration.

Or you try diplomacy, because you're almost certainly built around just two, or maybe one, of your physical stats and could reasonably pump any of your mental stats dependent on what you want to be other than Wolverine and Arachne combined.

No options indeed.

Nod, get treat.

21. - Top - End - #921

1st Place: Juicer, by Beelzebub1111!

2nd Place: Metabolist, by sengmeng!

3rd Place: Sacred Asp Mage, by Jormengand!

I'll post a new contest after I wake up some time. If ideas for contests come in before then, I might choose one of those instead of one from my list.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Woo hoo! My First First place!

23. - Top - End - #923

Woo hoo! My First First place!
    Congrats.

New contest!

I added a new table for full spellcasters. Classes with less than nine levels of spellcasting can just take off however many columns they don't need. Code is the second table in the spoiler, beneath the hyphenated line. No need to copy-paste the fluff text from the previous table; it's all down there. The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect the Local Speakeasy replacing the Ancillary Contest and the 5e contest being on hiatus. I think that covers everything.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2016-06-06 at 12:18 AM.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #924
    Banned

Also, damn, that's the first contest since ages that wasn't won by me, Zay or Seng. Guys, we need to step up our game!

25. - Top - End - #925

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Also, damn, that's the first contest since ages that wasn't won by me, Zay or Seng. Guys, we need to step up our game!
    Yeah, it's been over two years.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

The king is dead, long live the king!

So, candy. i have no ideas. The juicer I had been sitting on for a while, but for this...I'm not sure. A potion maker that delivers through sweets?

27. - Top - End - #927
    Banned

The king is dead, long live the king!

So, candy. i have no ideas. The juicer I had been sitting on for a while, but for this...I'm not sure. A potion maker that delivers through sweets?
    I haven't any ideas either, without resorting to metaphor.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't any ideas either, without resorting to metaphor.

Yeah, a Willy wonka inspired class is the obvious one, with some kind of glass elevator power rising as you go up in levels. Still its not an easy one to think up an idea for.
    OMFGWTF!!

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay, I have a concept and a name at least. I Think I can work from there.

Also, I put up a formal thread for the Juicer with new feats if anyone wants to give a more in depth criticism

30. - Top - End - #930
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Congrats.

New contest!

I added a new table for full spellcasters. Classes with less than nine levels of spellcasting can just take off however many columns they don't need. Code is the second table in the spoiler, beneath the hyphenated line. No need to copy-paste the fluff text from the previous table; it's all down there. The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect the Local Speakeasy replacing the Ancillary Contest and the 5e contest being on hiatus. I think that covers everything.
    Ooh... new theme looks... intoxicatingly sweet :3

Also thanks for the signal boost on the ancillary :D

I believe that the darkness reminds us what light can be

My Extended Homebrew Signature