New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

Quote Originally Posted by dragonjek View Post

I need to check what's already been posted more frequently. Zaydos and I's class ideas are frightfully similar. Even in the name (Sįwolwyrm, merging the Old English words for soul and dragon). Although I don't intend on bringing in any outside homebrew, and Zaydos's features no incarnum, which is a small relief (well, except for the incarnum/prana dragon aspects).
    By the time I'm done it'll have Incarnum, Infusions, Martial Maneuvers, Soulbinding, Mysteries, and Utterances! Maybe even invocations. I might be a little crazed Ok, I'd call me mad, Mad, MAD I say! Now I try to think of an official subsystem that I'm unlikely to tap into in some way shape or form.

And when you've made more than 100 true dragons it's hard to pass up with a contest like this one to bring them in somehow.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread IV: All Your Base [Class] Are Belong to Us

You know what would be an interesting subsystem for you to work into a class? The Star Wars d20 force system, including the rules for Dark Side points.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    By the time I'm done it'll have Incarnum, Infusions, Martial Maneuvers, Soulbinding, Mysteries, and Utterances! Maybe even invocations. I might be a little crazed Ok, I'd call me mad, Mad, MAD I say! Now I try to think of an official subsystem that I'm unlikely to tap into in some way shape or form.

And when you've made more than 100 true dragons it's hard to pass up with a contest like this one to bring them in somehow.
    If I get everything in, I'm working with casting, psionics, maneuvers, invocations, and DFA breath effects not quite as impressive, but still a lot on my plate...

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Well this talk about character testing for this has made me decide to try running another group through the Sinister Spire if people are up for it. Here. Would love to see someone play a Dragonsoul Acolyte for it. Thinking about building an oldschool kick in the door dungeon crawl one too.

Also willing to do character building trades with anyone with a class complete enough to build a character of (and a table to read).

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    If I get everything in, I'm working with casting, psionics, maneuvers, invocations, and DFA breath effects not quite as impressive, but still a lot on my plate...
    Yeah not going to have DFA breath effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    You know what would be an interesting subsystem for you to work into a class? The Star Wars d20 force system, including the rules for Dark Side points.
    I have made no dragons using that system and have every intent not to since I found the way Dark Side points functioned in it to be badly flawed. The force system was so-so to meh, neat concept (and better execution than Truenaming) but didn't fit the way the Force is depicted in other media well enough to justify it. Also my Jedi wasn't allowed to build a droid army because my growing group of droid minions was becoming game breaking.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-08-26 at 09:01 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well this talk about character testing for this has made me decide to try running another group through the Sinister Spire if people are up for it. Here. Would love to see someone play a Dragonsoul Acolyte for it. Thinking about building an oldschool kick in the door dungeon crawl one too.

Also willing to do character building trades with anyone with a class complete enough to build a character of (and a table to read).
    Made a table just for you 13th level sound good? Or maybe 5th level so it can get run in the Sinister Spire...
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-08-26 at 09:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking about whether I should drop Dragon Form as too much and kind of disjointed from the rest of the class (maybe adding some small benefit at 6th or just rejiggering to give it something else).

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go View Post
    Made a table just for you 13th level sound good? Or maybe 5th level so it can get run in the Sinister Spire...
    Either works for me. Few questions: What is the HD type? What are the class skills? At rank 3 in Body of the Dracolich do you lose your Constitution score? If so do all future and current hit dice set themselves to d12 like with many undead templates?

5th would be the quick version, and there's no rule saying we couldn't do 5th and 13th; we could even build the same character at both. Though I will note that Aspect seems to get some big things at 14th (Paralyzing touch on each attack and 5th level spells if they went claws and mind) while getting relatively little at 13th.

Current Projects:

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Question for Temotei. The rules say:

You may not post your entry anywhere else until after the contest is finished.
    Does that mean I can't use my entry in Zaydos' game? Or would posting the actions of my class in a PbP game not count as 'posting my entry'?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post

Does that mean I can't use my entry in Zaydos' game? Or would posting the actions of my class in a PbP game not count as 'posting my entry'?
    Generally this means don't post your actual class writeup anywhere else, like in a separate thread or what have you. But you should be able to use the class in a game, sure.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

9. - Top - End - #129

Okie doke, the mechanics of my class are posted, though I need to finish the fluff and post the soulmeld table (which will be up in a couple minutes).

Anyone who'd like to take a look, please do! :)

EDIT: ok, soulmelds posted (with links to homebrew melds)
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2014-08-27 at 10:10 AM.

gitp extended sig

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Generally this means don't post your actual class writeup anywhere else, like in a separate thread or what have you. But you should be able to use the class in a game, sure.
    This is right. Playtesting is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-08-27 at 12:14 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Finished adding Dragon Magazine and Dragonlance dragons. I believe that means I've finished all official dragons (when the book is allowed to reprint Shadow Dragons I'm going to guess it falls on the official side of whatever grey area Dragonlance was published under).

Now just homebrew and whether I want to include 3rd party true dragons... and returning to the idea of removing dragon form.

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #132

Hey Zaydos, we should collab on making Ideals for all your homebrew dragonz.

gitp extended sig

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm thinking about whether I should drop Dragon Form as too much and kind of disjointed from the rest of the class (maybe adding some small benefit at 6th or just rejiggering to give it something else).

Either works for me. Few questions: What is the HD type? What are the class skills? At rank 3 in Body of the Dracolich do you lose your Constitution score? If so do all future and current hit dice set themselves to d12 like with many undead templates?

5th would be the quick version, and there's no rule saying we couldn't do 5th and 13th; we could even build the same character at both. Though I will note that Aspect seems to get some big things at 14th (Paralyzing touch on each attack and 5th level spells if they went claws and mind) while getting relatively little at 13th.
    Actually, good point... I think I'll move Mind's bonus ability to 13th (Channeled full attack or Battle Blessing equivalent for 3rd level and lower). I put all the abilities of Claws at even levels because they get fighter bonus feats at odd levels, but yeah many are better than the feat.

HD is d8, and I'll get class skills in soon - it'll be pretty similar to Wizard class skills were just added At rank 3, you lose your constitution score (as part of the traits), and all future and current hit dice set themselves to d12s (kinda forgot that the hit dice weren't part of the traits ). As another note, the As Dragonborn wings advance by rank, and not hit dice like dragonborn wings (noted now).

I'll make the 5th level to start since I'll be submitting it for the Sinister Spire, but I'll make the 13th at some point too.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-08-27 at 02:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Working on draconic aspects for occulus dragon because somebody requested that occulus dragon get updated/stuff made for dragonsoul acolyte and I wanted an opinion on an idea I had: What about instead of giving them normal spell pool access I give them access to a certain amount of (swift action) eye rays which cost spell pool points based on their level. So for example at Lv 4 instead of gaining access to 1st level spell-like abilities (if only 1/day) you'd get swift action Charm Person Ray and swift action Inflict Light Wounds Ray possibly costing 2 Spell Pool Points to use instead of 4. A trade off of versatility (whatever 1st level sorcerer spell you need at the moment) for power (swift action spell 2/day instead of standard action spell 1/day). Now this is only the proto idea, but I figured I'd ask opinions while I brainstormed.

Decided to go with the eye rays as spell pool idea. I will note that from now on I should just add 2 to however many posts I think I'll need, I really should.

Hey Zaydos, we should collab on making Ideals for all your homebrew dragonz.
    Sometime, for now, though, I still have to make aspects for and update around 90 dragons before embarking on another large project.

Edit: And now for my status report/update that nobody really cares for. Added 10 different Baatorian dragons (1 for the plane, and 1 for each layer) some of which might be mutually thematically exclusive (Hellfire dragon and the others) but hey the planes are big and a single layer of a plane can host 2 species of dragons if the Prime can host 1. About 1/3rd done with the homebrewed dragons I think. Should have 40 completed which is nearing the number of 1st party dragons (which I think is < 50).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-08-28 at 08:11 PM.

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I want to participate in this, but none of my ideas work for base classes. It's hard to find a good concept for a base class that isn't just a big PrC. Ugh.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    I want to participate in this, but none of my ideas work for base classes. It's hard to find a good concept for a base class that isn't just a big PrC. Ugh.
    This is one reason I wish the PrC contest was still going. But let's try and think about potential classes. Dragonslayer is a classic, but one I think is best represented as a PrC. A dragon-dedicated warrior is something I've done before, but again best represented as a PrC (it has a place if the world is one high enough magic to need gish base classes and with enough of a dragon focus to make it make sense). Another take on the dragon cultist/priest; mine started as that and has ended as "I want to be a dragon"... there might be some author appeal there... but there's a relatively large thematic space still there. A dragon mage; they have sorcerer casting and you have Sorcerers and Dragonfire Adepts already but a truly dragon mage-y base class could be made, potentially something of an elementalist, maybe a fixed list caster with a lot of the dragon themed spells and energy blasting. A class dedicated to a specific breed of dragon (as in a Red Dragon Class which is built purely to uphold red dragons) seems Prestige Class-esque. A class about draconic wild shaping could be done as a base class, and apparently is. As dragon is a theme that suggests itself to specialization you look at things that are completely unlike other base classes (turning into a dragon, singing the songs of creation sung by the Ninefold Dragon when the Great Wheel was formed). If you want to go truly general it always gets harder, partially due to thematic overlap. For example I'd suggest a class based not on dragons directly but one of their major defining characteristics: The Hoard. A class based upon the collection and use of wealth and magical items. But that has thematic overlap with artificer. Of course you could present it in more a merchant-thief role with a healthy dash of the tinker, as opposed to the artificer's forge mastery, but that's still an overlap.

None of these ideas have been particularly good, but hopefully they'll spark some idea.

Progress Log: I have added all epic dragons I have made. Too many dragons. I think I might take a break tomorrow and just make an Evil AI/Genius Loci Meta-Dragon which roots into a location and turns it into its evil lair complete with breath weapon turrets and at-will whispering wind PA system.

Apparently I half lied to myself and now have the draconic aspects for all meta-dragons I personally made completed.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-08-29 at 02:17 AM.

Current Projects:

17. - Top - End - #137
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I don't think I'll use any of those specifically, but you gave me a lot of great ideas! I think I was trying to find something too directly on the subject of dragons, I think maybe moving farther away from dragons might be best while still relating it to the dragon theme. What do you think of a warrior/rogue-type gaining special abilities based on dragons? The hoard idea might work well for this, a thief that gathers a hoard with the aid of dragon-esque powers.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    I don't think I'll use any of those specifically, but you gave me a lot of great ideas! I think I was trying to find something too directly on the subject of dragons, I think maybe moving farther away from dragons might be best while still relating it to the dragon theme. What do you think of a warrior/rogue-type gaining special abilities based on dragons? The hoard idea might work well for this, a thief that gathers a hoard with the aid of dragon-esque powers.
    Glad to have helped.

Ongoing Status Report: Added evil AI dragons, dragons made from evil rituals, and others. I have 17 Evil options for Tutelary Dragon left to add, and I've decided to go on an evil kick for a bit. These are the dragons closer to the bottom of the barrel, with the more serious ones being "poisonous swamp dragon" and "disease dragon" going from there to "demon-lord associated dragons" to "unseelie dragons" and on down to "cyclops dragon?" "sliver dragon??" and all the way down to the ridiculously silly Peanut Dragon. Why am I updating it for this? I have no idea.

Edit; Madness Log Update: Added Peanut Dragons and Sliver Dragons. Had to start a new post.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-08-29 at 05:43 PM.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I should have my class up tonight or tomorrow afternoon at the latest. I'm not sure if it will be any competion, but I hope that elegant simplicity will shine through

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I should have my class up tonight or tomorrow afternoon at the latest. I'm not sure if it will be any competion, but I hope that elegant simplicity will shine through
    It's quality not quantity that'll do it. Honestly the only person who I think cares to see my homebrew dragons added to the class is me; it's just a giant vanity project there. I really should be making a list of "Common Lesser Aspects" for if certain dragons don't exist but which are common enough that they should be selectable via feat or 2nd Aspect for all characters (things like SR, Swim Speed/Water Breathing, Burrow Speed, and other things that exist in ~20%+ of official dragons but in core dragons were passed up for more interesting/fluffy/breath weapon abilities) and the Draconic Pantheon as Tutelary Dragons.

On the note of my continuing descent into madness: I have finished all Evil dragons (excluding deities and Ashardalon). You now have far too many choices for Tutelary Dragon regardless of your Evil alignment. In addition to the normal options for a draconic character you have such things as: Draconic servants of Unseelie fey lords, crazed AIs, imp controlling diabolist shadowcasters, vestige binding evil dragons, and more! For a limited time* you can even access Incarnum by killing creatures to harvest essentia, so buy** now!

*This offer valid until the site or the internet no longer is with you.

**Something, this isn't actually for sale so buy something else, I'd suggest ice cream.

On a less crazy note, if there is any dragons from my homebrew you want to see Aspects for in particular just let me know; I'm gonna be converting them all, but I'd like to entertain while I do so.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-08-31 at 10:28 AM.

Current Projects:

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's quality not quantity that'll do it.
    While true, things that obviously involved a great deal of work to create tend to be viewed more favorably.
    My Homebrew:
    3 Elemental Feats
    Vgilmat, the race of little giants (with accompanying archetypes and feats)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

While true, things that obviously involved a great deal of work to create tend to be viewed more favorably.
    True. I will note that a new meldshaping class with a complete new list of soul melds will impress me since I've tried and failed at that before.

Madness Log: 90 dragons done (close to 165 with 1st/2nd party dragons) 38 left to go (28 homebrew, 9 gods, 1 Ashardalon); this is assuming I haven't miscounted badly in one or more places.

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Madness Log: 90 dragons done (close to 165 with 1st/2nd party dragons) 38 left to go (28 homebrew, 9 gods, 1 Ashardalon); this is assuming I haven't miscounted badly in one or more places.
    Masochist.

24. - Top - End - #144

True. I will note that a new meldshaping class with a complete new list of soul melds will impress me since I've tried and failed at that before.

Does it count that I made one (Green Man) so I could fill in the 28 melds I was missing for the Noumenon Drake meld list, even though it's not posted in the contest? ;)

gitp extended sig

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's... actually what I'm making. It isn't a very large list, but each has at least 3 chakra binds. The Sįwolwyrm draws on the remnants of dragon souls, but there happens to be a consciousness composed of the gestalt memories clinging to the soul-energy composing the sea of incarnum that they create a form of dragonpact with--because they have the weekly ability to change what dragon they most closely embody, the gestalt nature of the Enigmatic Wyrm is capable of changing the spell-like abilities of the dragonpact in turn.
    My Homebrew:
    3 Elemental Feats
    Vgilmat, the race of little giants (with accompanying archetypes and feats)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Masochist.
    I feel like I should deny this in the most animesque Tsundere way possible, including the use of the phrase baka somewhere within it.

Does it count that I made one (Green Man) so I could fill in the 28 melds I was missing for the Noumenon Drake meld list, even though it's not posted in the contest? ;)
    Maybe... not sure... how many soulmelds is normal for a class? I do need to get around to looking all of it over but... ~30 more dragons to go.

That's... actually what I'm making. It isn't a very large list, but each has at least 3 chakra binds. The Sįwolwyrm draws on the remnants of dragon souls, but there happens to be a consciousness composed of the gestalt memories clinging to the soul-energy composing the sea of incarnum that they create a form of dragonpact with--because they have the weekly ability to change what dragon they most closely embody, the gestalt nature of the Enigmatic Wyrm is capable of changing the spell-like abilities of the dragonpact in turn.
    I know, I knew (bold added for emphasis). I look forward to seeing it. 3 Chakra binds, essentia abilities, and basic soul meld ability (which can be picked up with a feat) = 5 abilities per soul meld with one of which being theoretically balanced against a feat; I tried it twice and it beat me both times so I've got to give it some respect. Then again I haven't tried it since I started making really complicated classes (most I'd done is a class with 2 disciplines and no heart) so I have to give it another go sometime.

Madness Descent Log: Went into the Heat Prison on a Quest for the Knowledge of the Elder Centuries and the Mines of King Solomon1. I found naught of what I searched, nor the Street of Perdido. My alternate treasures, a Grimoire for the Eponymous Mage2 and the story-hoard of the Amber Prince3 were forgot and I found instead a panoply of wonders. Grabbing a meager six I retreated from the cell, and sat to work once more. With 30 eggs left to hatch, give or take4, I came upon a mad idea. What about a variant made for gestalt? I set to work and made a thing, a thing of quality I cannot ascertain, a thing that's nature escapes my feeble mind5. But a thing it is, and I must admit to an interest in your beliefs as to how the experiment fares6. Now I turn back to my hatchery, no more the dragons of the holy mount to wrought anew, no more dragons based upon the ancient past, even those that hold the hallowed words that made the world are complete. Only a few dozen7 remain

Spoiler: Footnotes
    Show
    1Translation went into parents' attic to borrow King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard to see the book and how much of it actually has made it into Fantasy through Lost World fiction and the works of later authors.

2Anything by Jack Vance.

3Anything by Roger Zelasny.

4I am a firm believer in the old saying "Never count your world destroying super-beasts before they hatch" and while many of these aren't those, I believe it can be applied to the less dangerous varieties of dragons as well.

5I believe one of the spiders in the aforementioned attic had caster levels and some Wisdom damaging spells.

6I lack the familiarity with Gestalt power levels to actually know if it is balanced and would like 2nd opinions.

7 17 homebrew, 9 dragon gods, 1 Ashardalon.

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay, I lied about finishing and having the class up today. I got distracted by other projects. I may not end up finishing this one. Got some massive writer's block for mid-high level abilities.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

For some reason I decided I wanted to post an entry for this challenge, and I recently got the idea of exactly what I wanted to do. Cyborgs. Dragons. Dragon cyborgs. I'm not sure of the power level of my Cyber Dragonkin class, but it's almost done. I just need to make the class' modules. Fell free to comment.
    What about a new class that uses a mechanical rip-off of the meldshaping subsystem, with a complete list of the equivalent of soulmelds? Technically, I'm probably cheating since I'll use thematically appropriate modules amongst those made by Garryl (the subsystem's original author), but I do plan on making a few dozens myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, I lied about finishing and having the class up today. I got distracted by other projects. I may not end up finishing this one. Got some massive writer's block for mid-high level abilities.

Hopefully, the rest of the month will be enough. Good luck with everything, though.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok mask Enchantments up, please cna i have some PEACH, (instead of that Masochist talking )..