New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Range Time

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Range Time

Quote Originally Posted by Hbgplayer View Post
    You mean a semi-automatic pistol, right? Otherwise, where the blazes can you find an (fully)automatic pistol in the U.S.???
    Autopistol means "Autoloading pistol", not "Fully Automatic Pistol". The latter are called "Machine Pistols". I find it a much more comfortable word to use to differentiate from revolvers, the advantages of which are only really relevant to the very serious shooter.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Arizona I believe. (although i think you still need a federal license for a fully automatic weapon).
    Depends on the individual weapon. There are a handful of transferable "machineguns" (meaning automatics ranging from MAC 10's to actual machineguns like an M2) that can be sold and given away as easily as any other weapon (varies by state, Indiana doesn't require any sort of paperwork for private sales) but will usually end up costing you a pretty penny. Last time I priced some out, it was like $4,500 for a mac 10 and something like $25,000 for a select-fire M16a3.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Found a picture of SiuiS's cat:

Spoiler
    Show

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

All you really need is a flashlight, and that’s so you can see what you’re shooting. The one that cracked me up the most was the tactical bottle opener you can get for your pic rail. So you can get nice and liquored up while you shoot your AR.
    The sad thing is I wanted that just because how outrageous and hilarious a concept that is XD Like I can see some soldier on a field, next to his buddy then you just hear the ca sshhk of a beer getting opened.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BizzaroStormy View Post
    Depends on the individual weapon. There are a handful of transferable "machineguns" (meaning automatics ranging from MAC 10's to actual machineguns like an M2) that can be sold and given away as easily as any other weapon (varies by state, Indiana doesn't require any sort of paperwork for private sales) but will usually end up costing you a pretty penny. Last time I priced some out, it was like $4,500 for a mac 10 and something like $25,000 for a select-fire M16a3.
    Yeah’ they’re expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
    The sad thing is I wanted that just because how outrageous and hilarious a concept that is XD Like I can see some soldier on a field, next to his buddy then you just hear the ca sshhk of a beer getting opened.
    Well you’ve gotta stay hydrated in the middle of an op after all.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

You know, attachments are all well and good if you have a rail to mount them on, but in my case, the guns aren't moddable enough (my personal aesthetic) to take lights/lasers/red dot/holo sights. Maybe that's a little mistake on my part, but with a 12 gauge, I don't see clearing a hallway being a problem. Not to say I don't see the utility, because I definitely do, they just seem far harder to conceal as well with that dren all over it. Wow, I just cussed like farscape again... I have been considering something more moddable with a pinless field strip, like a Springfield XD (.40/.45 of course) and maybe a little strobe of about 400-500 lumens.

Im too stuck on what I consider to be pretty guns though, nice and smooth with no rails, dovetails, or any of that. Then again I wasn't doing concealed carry til last year, I had bought my last pistol long before that, maybe by a year or more. maybe just a light for the Savage shotgun, but that's all I could really see myself doing for now. Am I maybe thinking wrong not wanting rails/dovetails just because of holster or snag issues, like is it much less an issue than I think it is? I just don't trust the clothing I normally wear to not get caught on something, so it may be a little paranoia about it as well.

Whatever suits you is what you should go with, im sure, but should I more seriously look into a light for the shotgun? maybe a bottle opener too? :P
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Now I am just thinking of some super long quad rail on a rifle, and on ever rail is nothing but bottle openers on all four taking up all the rail space.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, if it is for your house, get a light.

It isn't for some huge tactical advantage (though it is useful as such). It's to cover your ass.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

9. - Top - End - #99

Zombie

I had a thought like that once, just lights, lasers, optional sights, bottle openers, more lights, MORE lasers. All until the space was gone, maybe the goofy factor is what keeps me from it a little, and maybe its the fact that I don't want to be stereotyped as that redneck kid with the f'd up army rifle, but that could just be the people i hang out with/ grew up with. Theyre mostly hunters, so lots of bolt action oldschoolness there.

EDIT

@crow

that's a fair point, i think i will start looking for one soon then, since its totally for the house. recommend any good brands?
    Last edited by blacklight101; 2014-08-26 at 03:12 PM.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    Steel frames all the way, I like a real gun in my hand (the feel anyway) my first gun was all steel except for the grips, an old Ruger mk 1; the next was a Mosin from '42, good dense wood and steel there too; then my .45, couldn't think of going plastic on any of these, but that's just me. My wife has an LCP, nice little gun and all, just a bit small for me and it doesn't feel quite right being that much plastic, but its good for her (really what counts). I still carry that big 'ol .45 with me outside of work, but it comes down to personal preference in the end. All I know is I like old guns that were "made right" with good materials and solid construction.
    What model of LCP? I remember reading that the Ruger LCP had a recall a while ago to fix an issue where the gun would discharge if dropped.

11. - Top - End - #101

Zombie

ours wasn't the recalled model, its only a few months old, but the guy at the gun store told us about it. I would have to look into it more to see the actual model, though i did drop it at the range once, loaded, and it didn't go off, thank the Gods. I don't think i have a "bad" one though.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Another simple and recommended mod is to get a glow-in-the-dark iron sights for your gun (they make them for pistols, rifles and even shotguns). They are fantastic for backup shooting in the light/darkness when your batteries go dead or you bust your optic/flashlight. The actual name escapes me, but they supposedly last forever and are a good upgrade to your iron sights.

Regardless of what type of firearm you use, you should never ever (no not even then) remove your iron sights. Hell you should practice with them regularly. I see people do it with ARs all the time, some are smart enough to mount iron sights on their rail, others aren’t and I sigh every time I see them.

13. - Top - End - #103

Zombie

I got the Savage Stevens Security model, has a ghost ring and truglo optics up front, I just see the light as an insurance policy. The green is quite easy to see with a little light though.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

I got the Savage Stevens Security model, has a ghost ring and truglo optics up front, I just see the light as an insurance policy. The green is quite easy to see with a little light though.
    Definitely not a bad shotgun for the money. While I have one myself, its is more for fun since my hallways don't really facilitate a long arm. Now If i wanted to do something crazy and trim down the barrel* on a saiga or something, that would be fine.

*Fun Fact: Contrary to popular belief, "sawn-off" shotguns are not illegal, but DO require a $200 ATF Tax Stamp. The same rule is applied to short-barreled rifles and supressors.

15. - Top - End - #105

Zombie

Definitely not a bad shotgun for the money. While I have one myself, its is more for fun since my hallways don't really facilitate a long arm. Now If i wanted to do something crazy and trim down the barrel* on a saiga or something, that would be fine.

*Fun Fact: Contrary to popular belief, "sawn-off" shotguns are not illegal, but DO require a $200 ATF Tax Stamp. The same rule is applied to short-barreled rifles and supressors.

This, I actually knew; friend of mine does security work and had it done to his, breaching compensator as well. Cool guy, was willing to wait for that tax stamp and the papers and all.

I had looked into several different shotguns before I bought this one, it just seemed the best fit for screwing around and home defense, I liked the pistol grip and full stock and the Truglo stuff is great. Lightweight to boot, definitely the lightest longarm I own by a good few pounds. My hallways don't necessarily require a shotgun either, but its the sound of that slide that makes it worth every penny.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

So, you guys were right. There is definitely an ammo shortage going on for .22LR. I haven't shopped for ammo for about a year, went to my local gun shop to get a brick for the range, and..

The only stuff they had in stock was expensive match-grade stuff. Definitely not the stuff you want to waste plinking at cans. Though it did get me to splurge on the nice stuff to try it out, but at $55/500 rounds I'm not sure whether it'll be worth it considering I have no spotting scope.

On the other hand, they do have a Mosin in really good condition for $190 (stuff is more expensive in Canada), so I might pick that up later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

17. - Top - End - #107

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    So, you guys were right. There is definitely an ammo shortage going on for .22LR. I haven't shopped for ammo for about a year, went to my local gun shop to get a brick for the range, and..

The only stuff they had in stock was expensive match-grade stuff. Definitely not the stuff you want to waste plinking at cans. Though it did get me to splurge on the nice stuff to try it out, but at $55/500 rounds I'm not sure whether it'll be worth it considering I have no spotting scope.

On the other hand, they do have a Mosin in really good condition for $190 (stuff is more expensive in Canada), so I might pick that up later.
    I love the Mosin, but I have heard some can be a little finicky. Its a good, big caliber for whatever you need; decently high muzzle velocity as well, something about 2800 fps if I remember correctly. I know its odd, I named my Mosin as well. Ivan. It just seems to fit that incredibly durable near indestructible rifle (at least IMO) It digests the worst ammo ive found (nothing with corrosion all over the cases though, I have my limits) and only didn't like maybe 2 rounds out of a couple thousand.

Heavy as well, but its great at the range. Trigger is damn heavy though, and I really mean that. rugged, dependable, I consider one a fantastic investment. Just my two cents, might not mean a thing in practice, you may well just hate it cause it kicks like a mule with a steel buttplate.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: lights

There are a lot of good brands out there. I would recommend something in LED.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

19. - Top - End - #109

Zombie

I do like LED's, low power use and great Lumen ratings. Im sure I should go somewhere other than Walmart (crap quality most of the time IMO) and Cabelas (its all about the retail markup there) Can You give any good recommendations of a decent brand? I know I could search google, but id rather hear what you guys think.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I love the Mosin, but I have heard some can be a little finicky. Its a good, big caliber for whatever you need; decently high muzzle velocity as well, something about 2800 fps if I remember correctly. I know its odd, I named my Mosin as well. Ivan. It just seems to fit that incredibly durable near indestructible rifle (at least IMO) It digests the worst ammo ive found (nothing with corrosion all over the cases though, I have my limits) and only didn't like maybe 2 rounds out of a couple thousand.

Heavy as well, but its great at the range. Trigger is damn heavy though, and I really mean that. rugged, dependable, I consider one a fantastic investment. Just my two cents, might not mean a thing in practice, you may well just hate it cause it kicks like a mule with a steel buttplate.
    I've already shot my SVT, which uses the same round. It's got a donkey kick, but manageable unless you go all Rambo. Problem is, gas system is busted so it doesn't cycle the bolt properly and you have to literally use a brick or a block of 2x4, so it's not practical to shoot until I feel it's worth my money to go to a gunsmith. Problem is, he'll probably charge more than I paid for the gun itself ($200).

But good to know it digests any ammo you can throw at it. I have ~800 rounds of surplus 7.62x54R sitting there, waiting to be digested.
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

21. - Top - End - #111

Zombie

At least you know what to expect with that round, if I take a friend shooting that hasn't been before, I give them Ivan first. I tell them they cant be scared of anything else I brought that day, since he is normally the biggest. Most of them don't shoot it much, but they enjoy it and move on to something easier. may not be the nicest move, but after that they want to come to the range when I go, so maybe its something. All I tell them is to hop around and find something theyre comfortable shooting afterwards. I may not be the best teacher, but I can at least get other people some experience being halfway (hopefully more) safe.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

I had a thought like that once, just lights, lasers, optional sights, bottle openers, more lights, MORE lasers. All until the space was gone, maybe the goofy factor is what keeps me from it a little, and maybe its the fact that I don't want to be stereotyped as that redneck kid with the f'd up army rifle, but that could just be the people i hang out with/ grew up with. Theyre mostly hunters, so lots of bolt action oldschoolness there.

EDIT

@crow

that's a fair point, i think i will start looking for one soon then, since its totally for the house. recommend any good brands?
    http://youtu.be/q362H-xg0ZA

Another simple and recommended mod is to get a glow-in-the-dark iron sights for your gun (they make them for pistols, rifles and even shotguns). They are fantastic for backup shooting in the light/darkness when your batteries go dead or you bust your optic/flashlight. The actual name escapes me, but they supposedly last forever and are a good upgrade to your iron sights.

Regardless of what type of firearm you use, you should never ever (no not even then) remove your iron sights. Hell you should practice with them regularly. I see people do it with ARs all the time, some are smart enough to mount iron sights on their rail, others aren’t and I sigh every time I see them.
    Glow in the dark nail polish work?

I recall California penal code section 12020 listing a sawed off or shortened shotgun or scattergun as immediate felony along with slungshot, garrote, knuckles, or any designated martial arts weapon (when not going to or from a class) among some others.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

I recall California penal code section 12020 listing a sawed off or shortened shotgun or scattergun as immediate felony along with slungshot, garrote, knuckles, or any designated martial arts weapon (when not going to or from a class) among some others.
    California doesn't count. It's weapons laws are and have been the most screwed up in the country.

24. - Top - End - #114

Zombie

Have to agree, they arent exactly the greatest watermark for good gun laws. I think its dumb that I could travel a little bit from there and mag capacity doubles, but thats not entirely the point. I understand gangs and everything too, but sometimes there is a reason to pack 15 rounds. And in an old argument, when is the last time a criminal followed those capacity laws anyway?

I think it should be a basically universal set of rules and reg across the country, but not stupidly restrictive ones, im looking at you, Brady Bill.

At least my carry permit is becoming more recognized around the country, we should be able to have them at all times if its legal anyway. Even in federal buildings and all that, if only because we wont do anything there with a gun just like we wont do anything anywhere else with it. Under duress, of course, but thats beside the point, sort of.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

You people think California gun laws are meant to actually protect people?
    If you do you’ve been greatly mislead.

California gun laws are made for exactly one purpose. To keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. The law-makers and other powers that be are taking great steps to restrict and prevent guns from being legally owned and sold in the state. Why? I don't know but I personally think it’s because they’re corrupt and fear their own populace. (Leaders should not have to fear the people they lead.)

Take the recent ( i use that term loosely) microstamping law they passed.
    This tech is too immature (and therefore expensive) to be worth implementing and has several MAJOR drawbacks, so what has happened is Sturn-Ruger and Smith & Wesson, (and I think a few others) have announced that they will stop selling their guns (semi-automatic pistols) in California, that it’s better for them to cut their losses than implement the technology.

This law has done exactly what they wanted it to do, stop gun makers from selling guns in California. They know the tech is not mature enough to do what they claim it does, they know that the idea cannot actually accomplish what they claim it is supposed to accomplish. But it did effectually kick Ruger and Smith & Wesson out of the state.

Ok that’s all for my political rant, it’s just going to get me all worked up... I need to go shoot something... it'd cheer me up.

26. - Top - End - #116

Zombie

Its too bad it has come to this out that way, if you are deemed copetent and no felonies or anything like that, It should be basically cut and dry to get a handgun. I understand the intent is to help people, but they need to stop decieving them as well.

My little rant deals with my work though, and its because of california. Im a plumber and I understand lead is bad in drinking water, but it doesnt leech out of brass valves like they seem to think it does, now we have to pay more and work harder around their little lead-free spiel. The valves already had less than .2% lead, now solderdoesnt melt the same and we are starting to burn up good pipe as we need so much more heat.

I digress though, as long as the person can pass the checks and whatnot, give 'em a gun. Make them a little more expansive if need be, but we should all have the right to own and buy firearms.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

My little rant deals with my work though, and its because of california. Im a plumber and I understand lead is bad in drinking water, but it doesnt leech out of brass valves like they seem to think it does, now we have to pay more and work harder around their little lead-free spiel. The valves already had less than .2% lead, now solderdoesnt melt the same and we are starting to burn up good pipe as we need so much more heat.
    "Hey guys, so uhm, amalgam fillings have mercury in them, and my office is proudly mercury free! We only do white fillings."

Conveniently (or intentionally) forgetting that no-one can see your back teeth, and white fillings cost 2x what amalgam fillings do...

28. - Top - End - #118

Zombie

Its just silly, really, the lengths some (for lack of a better term) pushy groups are willing to go and are at times successful at doing. Some make good sense but aren't necessarily for the best long term. Asbestos, used properly, is a fantastic mineral we used for centuries. I understand full well that its dangerous and all that, but I think it can still be used to an extent in very specific applications.

And to get back on topic somewhat... Responsible gun ownership, its a good thing. Yeah, cheesy bad reference, but its all that comes to mind.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Glow in the dark nail polish work?
    I’m talking about tritium/fiber optic “iron” sights (there are a lot of brands). They basically glow in the dark so you can see your sights and acquire a proper sight picture in lowlight/darkness and they don’t run on batteries

Something else to consider.

If you own or wish to own a home defense firearm, you might want to consider getting one that you won’t mind “losing”. If you’re ever forced to use it to defend yourself and your family, there is a VERY good chance that the police will confiscate the weapon and store it in their evidence locker until things get sorted out. You might never see it again depending on the viewpoint of the Law enforcement forces in your area.

In my town, Last year someone broke into an elderly gentleman’s home while he was away and stole some of his antique rifles. I don’t know if they ever recovered them (the news report is old and doesn’t say), but it said that if they do, because they’re old and don’t have serial numbers he probably won’t be seeing them again. Which is a tragedy, since these guns were not used in a crime, however because they’re old and don’t have serial numbers the police were going to confiscate them anyway.

It would be a shame to lose an heirloom gun or a gun of personal significance to the law because you had to use it against someone. So i suggest buying a gun that you don't have a personal connection to, regardless of how much you choose to spend on one.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2014-08-27 at 03:34 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Zombie

It is why I have the shotgun now, I love wood stocks too much to modify them, for the most part .Poly stocks are much easier for me to part with, for me, they just dont have the same "soul" in my opinion. I know a gun is more than a stock etc, but the wood just makes a good gun in many senses.